Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Why Do Nigerians Claim Other Nationalities When They Go Abroad? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Claim Other Nationalities When They Go Abroad? (3480 Views)

Coonest People/nationalities On Earth / The Different Nationalities On NL Rep. Where Ur From / Why Do Nigerians Think White People Are Ugly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Claim Other Nationalities When They Go Abroad? by AzaMontana(f): 10:50am On Jun 28, 2012
I must say eversince i got to the US i have never had any reason to lie about my identity but when i was in South Africa i noticed that everyone there thought we were all drug dealers, 419, ritualists, womanisers etc. I got there saw this attitude and i became rude to the South African do ( and this is what most of our nigerian sister do to south africans). After sometime there i made friends with some South Africans and saw how they opened up their hearts to me i think mainly because i am a lady and most south africans ( both men and woman) seem desperate to make friends with us. At first i lied and said i was from Ghana but when i saw how warm they were when i revealed my true identity i started being open and brave. I showed them that not all of us are bad news and believe me being a Nigerian Lady in South Africa earns you respect and many friends. I dont know why but it does , only if you become friendly like them. I am even relocating back to the South and am sure all things will work out for me there. Guys its up to us to proove other nations wrong, we have to show them that we are not all criminals and we are a warm nation and do shakara for them.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Claim Other Nationalities When They Go Abroad? by bilms(m): 12:44pm On Jul 01, 2012
smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerians Claim Other Nationalities When They Go Abroad? by dasparrow: 2:56pm On Jul 01, 2012
bilms: why are Nigerians denying there country of origin and instead claiming other countries when they travel?

why will a nigerian born father and american born mother be claiming american.

You could have said why do 'some' Nigerians deny their country of origin and not generalize. We are 150 million people and you want to tell me that the 5% that live outside Nigeria all deny their country's origin? Anyways, I don't deny my country of origin because I just hate telling lies. I however do not blame Nigerians who deny their country's origin because there are too many bigots in our world and not everyone wants to be tagged a 419 scammer due to the few rotten eggs in our midst.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Claim Other Nationalities When They Go Abroad? by bilms(m): 11:16am On Jul 04, 2012
thanks for the correction

(1) (2) (Reply)

Egwu Imo-awka Festival 2013 / King Kosoko Of Lagos (c.1797. – 1872) Monarch, Statesman, War Strategist. / Meaning Of ‘I Chigo Ichie’ In Igbo And Japanese Languages -igbodefender.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.