Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,878 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House (3493 Views)

Victims Of The Collapsed Three-Storey Building In Lagos (Photos) / Three Storey Building Collapses At Ilasa, Lagos (Photos, Video) / Checkout The First Storey Building In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by tegoguy(m): 5:25pm On May 20, 2015
The house was uncompleted and needed/needs a ton of work.i recently transferred title into my name and now I am ready to start construction. The home was originally about 5000 Sq ft. 8 bed 8 bath with boys quarter's attached. We felt the house was to large for a single family home. The house had perfect symmetry so we erected a wall down the middle and converted it into 2 four bed 4 bath units. The place needs a new roof so I decided to add a storey while the place is unoccupied to increase rental profits. I have been reading through the forums to learn how the building construction takes place. I am familiar with building here in the usa but i have limited knowledge about monolithic concrete construction in Ghana where the house is located. I have consulted an architect and he is finalizing the drawings and plans and I hope to break ground next month. He quoted me an outrageous price of 250000 us dollars to construct. I plan to sub contract and get each phase constructed and save money in doing so. My uncle is in Ghana and is retired and will be overseeing the project as my brother and myself organize the works stateside . All qualified advice is appreciated.

the plan as I see it:

1. Consult with architect and structural engineer for plans drawings soil survey and foundation analysis. I have completed this step and awaiting the final drawings. I was informed that the place is suitable for the works in regard to foundation. No other information was given but will be provided when the drawings are stamped and submitted to me.

2. Start preparations (if any) to reinforce the foundation.

3. Prep for construction and tear off old roofing. Then enclose the first floor to make ready for second storey walls. I am financing this project out of pocket so I want the second storey to be just a bare bone carcass. I will have 2 firms visit next week to prepare an estimate for enclosing the first floor using prestressed beams as opposed to a full concrete pour. They claim it will save up to 40 percent on cost and can be completed faster than pouring concrete. They will provide a custom design plan with a bill of quantity and price of labor.

4. Once the floor is in place I want to add only the blocks around the perimeter for the second floor and whatever necessary columns inside until I have money to complete. The second floor will be empty and uncompleted until I get the funds to complete.

5. Add roof and parapet. We decided on a flat roof system for the style of building. My guess is it would be cheaper to erect than an angled roof. I worry about leaks.

6. Renovate the first floor apartment to executive level and rent units out. Use rental income to outfit second storey apartments with executive fittings.

does this seem plausible? And how do I begin to estimate the cost?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by vicmoore(m): 5:37pm On May 20, 2015
tegoguy:
I inherited a house from my late father. The house was uncompleted and needed/needs a ton of work.i recently transferred title into my name and now I am ready to start construction. The home was originally about 5000 Sq ft. 8 bed 8 bath with boys quarter's attached. We felt the house was to large for a single family home. The house had perfect symmetry so we erected a wall down the middle and converted it into 2 four bed 4 bath units. The place needs a new roof so I decided to add a storey while the place is unoccupied to increase rental profits. I have been reading through the forums to learn how the building construction takes place. I am familiar with building here in the usa but i have limited knowledge about monolithic concrete construction in Ghana where the house is located. I have consulted an architect and he is finalizing the drawings and plans and I hope to break ground next month. He quoted me an outrageous price of 250000 us dollars to construct. I plan to sub contract and get each phase constructed and save money in doing so. My uncle is in Ghana and is retired and will be overseeing the project as my brother and myself organize the works stateside . All qualified advice is appreciated.

the plan as I see it:

1. Consult with architect and structural engineer for plans drawings soil survey and foundation analysis. I have completed this step and awaiting the final drawings. I was informed that the place is suitable for the works in regard to foundation. No other information was given but will be provided when the drawings are stamped and submitted to me.

2. Start preparations (if any) to reinforce the foundation.

3. Prep for construction and tear off old roofing. Then enclose the first floor to make ready for second storey walls. I am financing this project out of pocket so I want the second storey to be just a bare bone carcass. I will have 2 firms visit next week to prepare an estimate for enclosing the first floor using prestressed beams as opposed to a full concrete pour. They claim it will save up to 40 percent on cost and can be completed faster than pouring concrete. They will provide a custom design plan with a bill of quantity and price of labor.

4. Once the floor is in place I want to add only the blocks around the perimeter and whatever necessary columns inside until I have money to complete.

5. Add roof and parapet. We decided on a flat roof system for the style of building. My guess is it would be cheaper to erect than an angled roof. I worry about leaks.

6. Renovate the first floor apartment to executive level and rent units out. Use rental income to outfit second storey apartments with executive fittings.

does this seem plausible? And how do I begin to estimate the cost?

Thanks a lot sir....wil be better if you can mail the plan to me for proper ccheckup......umokevictor@gmail.com or visit my forum https://www.nairaland.com/vicmoore
Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by tegoguy(m): 5:55pm On May 20, 2015
I've added some photos. I'll be offline for an hour or so. My battery on my mobile is at 4%....lol time to charge it.

Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by wtfCode: 6:26pm On May 28, 2015
the way u expressed everything makes me think u're already an engineer.
Well, ur plan on the renovation/construction of the building is not bad.
If u are an engineer, there will be no need to consult any other professional,atleast it will save u more money.
We can help u on any problem whenever u start the construction since the plan is all set(the quantity of the materials to be bought should be included in the plan).
Then the market survey should be done by youself.
But if u're an inexperienced engineer or not even an engineer,i sugges find a contractor and buy materials as he requests.
Hope i made a reasonable suggestion?
Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by tegoguy(m): 4:00pm On Jun 03, 2015
Thanks for your kind words. In typical Ghanian fashion, I have yet to receive a complete set of stamped plans. I am still awaiting my estimates on the pre stressed floor slab and the roofing. I did get about 9 plans from the architect. Hopefully something will happen next week

Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by tegoguy(m): 3:08am On Jun 05, 2015
I was in contact with the architect today. In light of the heavy rains, dumsor, and subsequent tragedy I will allow him more time for the plans. He informed me that the foundation columns will need to be dug up 9sq ft. to add reinforcements. He wants to completely disassemble/gut the ground floor to allow for these works. I'm talking removing tile, appliances, windows, doors, etc. to make the place as if it was lintel level. I believe this is unnecessary and will speak to him accordingly. He sent a proposal invoice of nearly $5000 usa dollars including an estimate of 12 months salary for a watchmen to secure the property for 12 months. This is too much money and to much time for such a project. I also learned that only half of the initial monies that I had budgeted will be available. I will have to make a high interest loan to cover the construction and I will need a quick return on my investment. I walk by faith not by sight. I have to re-visit the drawing board to ensure I am not over my head.
Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by wtfCode: 12:49pm On Jun 05, 2015
ok.
But, 5000 dollars on that building plan...wow...thats too much if it were in Nigeria.
This aint a new building,so it shouldn't cost much as the renovated one should.
Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by tegoguy(m): 11:57pm On Jun 05, 2015
That is a ridiculous estimate, and I am further insulted that he would even suggest that. We are awaiting the completed stamped plans and we will have a "discussion" with him. My plan is to subcontract.
Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by eghosajohnny: 9:09pm On Jun 06, 2015
The job can be handled in various manner as you want cos as the prices you are getting from your arch is a little high but since he's a certified arch I suggest you work with him carefully and renegotiate his price for the design and for the construction I can handle it for you perfectly and on sub contracting too and it will be low from the cost price he's giving you,but if you need guide we are here to still assist you.

You can call on this number to discuss more.

Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by tegoguy(m): 2:17am On Jun 12, 2015
I was told that the stamped prints will be available for pickup this weekend by my uncle in Ghana. We will contact the subcontractors once we have physical prints in hand for an estimate. I want 2 estimates from the leading companies and 1 estimate from the local houses. I am curious to see the difference in prices. I want to gather an estimate for the foundation works, floor slab, wall construction, and finally the roof.
Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by tegoguy(m): 3:50am On Jun 25, 2015
Hey if you need a laugh check this out......One contractor is quoting me nearly one million Ghana cedis (or $250,000 nearly the USA equivelent) to add a 5000sq ft addition in Accra Ghana) Its not ALL INCLUSIVE, I omitted some to protect integrety as of today its .23 Ghana CEDIS to 1 USA dollar (nearly 4 GH cedis to 1 Dollar) 1:4

Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by tegoguy(m): 4:07am On Jun 25, 2015
Keep in mind that I got an estimate for the roofing today at over 24,000 Ghana cedis (or about 8,000 USA dollars) from a leading roofer in Ghana. I am going to sub contract and bypass this foolish offers.

update

that was an estimate to replace the roof as it stands, nearly flat, it will be more to redesign allowing for pitch and slope.
Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by tegoguy(m): 1:55pm On Jul 09, 2015
We submitted our plans to obtain building permits. We were quoted a price of nearly $4,000 USD to get the final permits. They have classified our plan as a commercial property and are imposing a percentage thereof based on our 10,000sq ft of living space. It was suggested that we could "grease the palms" of the officials to obtain a better rate. I'd rather pay the fee and get them out of my hair. I was told that the foundation works consists of reinforcing 48 pillars by digging the columns a meter sq. and four feet down and then reinforcing with iron rod and cement. The contractor wants to hire a cement truck once the holes are dug. I haven't received a price quote but I anticipate it being ~$10k usd.

I do not have cash on hand and will apply for a high interest loan from a leading lender in Ghana and use the free and clear property as collateral. The commission has valuated the property, as it stands, at over $300,000 USD. I think it may be a sound investment to continue with the building construction.
Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by Princestunna: 2:46am On Apr 04, 2016
I am doing the same thing on a 4 room house in Ghana and the cost is nothing compared to what you are being quoted
The
Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by ricki: 4:27am On Apr 04, 2016
dont you think you can easily build from scratch and not spend as much.....

Seems you have loads of cash anyway so its you call.. shocked
Re: I Want To Add A Second Storey To My Existing House by tegoguy(m): 2:55am On Apr 07, 2016
the material costs are pretty much fixed. some leeway can be found with labor. i wish i was made of money

(1) (Reply)

*product Of The Day* ===☆☆☆===☆☆☆=== *summit Homes, Sangotedo* *☆☆===☆☆☆===☆☆☆= / Beautifully Finished 4 Bedroom Duplex In Femi Okunu Estate ( pic includ'd).N 65m / Manufacturer And Installers Of Quality & Durable Aluminum Roofing Sheets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.