Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,093 members, 7,821,783 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars (8187 Views)

Movie Stars Who Died During Production / Nigerian Movie Stars / Some Nigeria Movie Stars Profile (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by AloyEmeka9: 8:56am On Feb 12, 2009
Glo Splashes N500Million On 10 Movie Stars; Appoints Them Ambassadors
February 09, 2009 15:25
By Eromosele Ebhomele
Telecommunications giant, Globacom, has awarded 10 movie stars a two-year contract, at a total sum of N500 million.

The movie stars, who were selected after a rigorous private screening, are to be paid N50 million each, up front. This, P.M. NEWS exclusively gathered, also includes being paid for each event the Nollywood stars are invited to attend. It was also learnt that some of the appointed actors and actresses include Uche Jombo, Funke Akindele, Monalisa Chinda-Richards, Rita Dominic and Chioma Akpotha.

pm-cover-9-feb-2009

Others are Ramsey Nouah, Desmond Elliott, Jim Iyke, Nonso Diobu and Mike Ezeruonye. Some of the movie stars could not confirm this development at press time. Also, calls to Globacom were unsuccessful.
These actors and actresses have been making waves in the movie industry in Nigeria in recent times. For instance, Uche Jombo has featured in movies interpreting roles for some time now and is planning to get married to Uche Ikechukwu, a footballer, very soon, while Funke Akindele became a household name with the TV series I Need To Know.
Akindele was also the lead actress in the Yoruba movie, Jenifa, which won her the Future Awards recently.

Rita Dominic was not long ago crowned Best Dressed Actress in Nollywood, while Chioma Akpotha was free of controversies until she had a brawl with fellow actress, Oge Okoye, and this almost brought down her career.

Sources claim that Ramsey Nouah is the second highest paid actor in Nollywood, as he gets N1.5 million per script.

Although sources close to the telecommunications firm did not state the criteria used for selecting the newly appointed ambassadors, P.M. NEWS reliably gathered that the rigorous exercise was done for months before the final list was released.

The Lucky Ones:

•Rita Dominic

•Uche Jombo

•Monalisa Chinda

•Funke Akindele

•Chioma Akpotha

•Ramsey Nouah

•Desmond Elliott

• Jim Iyke

•Nonso Diobu

•Mike Ezeruonye

http://thepmnews.com/2009/02/09/glo-splashes-n500m-on-10-movie-stars-appoints-them-ambassadors?version=print
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by AloyEmeka9: 8:57am On Feb 12, 2009
The movie stars, who were selected after a rigorous private screening, are to be paid N50 million each, up front.
Can somebody confirm this story because I think booboo dey inside the gist.
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by spikedcylinder: 1:27pm On Feb 12, 2009
I guess this is their own way of boosting the movie industry.
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by Raymond88(m): 4:58pm On Feb 12, 2009
50 Million Naira per actor! WOW!! shocked
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by spikedcylinder: 9:00am On Feb 13, 2009
Its a start. Lets see if it will help their actual talents. undecided
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by OsunAmazon: 10:26am On Feb 13, 2009
I think the money is the total amount needed to finance the project. There is no way GLo will give those riffraffs 50M each. For what?. Why not give it to Lagos primary schools or hospital board or some orphanage. This is a case of misplaced priority.

Again, why is it only 1 Yoruba movie star in the group?. I smell tribalism.  undecided undecided
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by AloyEmeka9: 8:24pm On Feb 13, 2009
Again, why is it only 1 Yoruba movie star in the group?. I smell tribalism
Haba, must there be tribalism in everything?
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by UNLEASHED(m): 9:55pm On Feb 13, 2009
@ Aloy Emeka
You have another word for it?
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by AloyEmeka9: 10:35pm On Feb 13, 2009
@ Aloy Emeka
You have another word for it?
So the board of directors of Globacom are igbo?. You guys need to get over this warped mentality. undecided
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by OsunAmazon: 8:57am On Feb 15, 2009
So the board of directors of Globacom are igbo?. You guys need to get over this warped mentality
The truth is bitter. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by spikedcylinder: 10:34am On Feb 15, 2009
What was the criteria for choosing these actors anyway?
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 15, 2009
funmi, please remind me who owns or even runs GLO? The last time i checked they are yoruba's.
you guys and tribalism sha.

besides, arnt they the best in the country and maybe continent?
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by OsunAmazon: 10:34am On Feb 16, 2009
Wharreva undecided undecided undecided
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by Grizzly(m): 4:20pm On Feb 16, 2009
No be 50 milla oooo!!! shocked
well e close sha, na 30 milla and that no be for everybody,
some get 20,
some get 10
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by AloyEmeka9: 10:05pm On Feb 16, 2009
funmi, please remind me who owns or even runs GLO? The last time i checked they are yoruba's.
you guys and tribalism sha.

besides, arnt they the best in the country and maybe continent?
Nnam tell them ooh. This bad belle is getting out of line. undecided
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by MrCrackles(m): 10:07pm On Feb 16, 2009
Waste of money where it is not needed! angry
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by AloyEmeka9: 11:37am On Feb 17, 2009
No be 50 milla oooo!!! Shocked
well e close sha, na 30 milla and that no be for everybody,
some get 20,
some get 10
Are you one of them?. How did you get this information because yours sounds more believable sha.
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by lucabrasi(m): 1:46pm On Feb 17, 2009
OsunAmazon:

I think the money is the total amount needed to finance the project. There is no way GLo will give those riffraffs 50M each. For what?. Why not give it to Lagos primary schools or hospital board or some orphanage. This is a case of misplaced priority.

Again, why is it only 1 Yoruba movie star in the group?. I smell tribalism. undecided undecided
thank you very much,nuff said!!and we complain there is no tribalism in nollywood, even if they wanted to invest 500million in the nollywood industry,why not on producers of note like amaka igwe,tunde kelani and veteran artistes like pete edochie,olu jacobs,jide kosoko e.t.c
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by Grizzly(m): 5:35pm On Feb 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Are you one of them?. How did you get this information because yours sounds more believable sha.

I read it in one of the daily's (The SUN)
Glo information officer or what do the call him was saying and i quote
"We cant pay 50million to any ambassador! Are they Micheal jackson?" grin

It spans over a period of two years.
Those recieving 30 will collect 15per year and so on.

But 50 million and 30million is the same thing! shocked
That freaking much.
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by AloyEmeka9: 8:57pm On Feb 17, 2009
thank you very much,nuff said!!and we complain there is no tribalism in nollywood, even if they wanted to invest 500million in the nollywood industry,why not on producers of note like amaka igwe,tunde kelani and veteran artistes like pete edochie,olu jacobs,jide kosoko e.t.c
So, GLO that splashed the millions is an igbo owned company since they chose just one Yoruba actress?

They cannot give producers that amount of money because they have to get something in return for their money. They need to advertise their products and you don't advertise a product with a movie producer or soccer coach or the boxers trainers, you do it with the stars themselves because they are more popular than the people that produce or train them. How many Nigerians will recognize Tunde kelani or Izu Ojukwu if they see their pictures?
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by lucabrasi(m): 5:31pm On Feb 18, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

So, GLO that splashed the millions is an igbo owned company since they chose just one Yoruba actress?

They cannot give producers that amount of money because they have to get something in return for their money. They need to advertise their products and you don't advertise a product with a movie producer or soccer coach or the boxers trainers, you do it with the stars themselves because they are more popular than the people that produce or train them. How many Nigerians will recognize Tunde kelani or Izu Ojukwu if they see their pictures?
and ill photocopy the rhetorical question back to you,does the fact that it is owned by a yoruba man mean that tribalism isnt involved?was the former president obj not a yorubaman and didntthey get a worse deal from him collectively than even abacha?

good producers make awesome movies that ll be shown to millions and tens of millions,glo will feature their adverts and colours both outside the jacket and inside the movie itself,and in addittion the same artiste will still feature in the movies and for a little bit extra will do an aside advert for glo so what are we on about here?

and lets even assume that they have to give 10 artistes 500million,shouldnt the ten represent all the fan base in nigeria?
some people like the agege,lagos island market men and women,dont watch igbowood movies but yorubawood, same as the hausas so should the demographics start artistes be completely ignored?considering these market women and co are glo customers.
one thing we shouldnt forget as well is that older artistes like the pete edochies,olu jacobs,jide kosoko,papy luwe e.t.c have more loyal fans who have been with them before most of these upstarts were even born.

if appealing to glo subscribers and promoting the arts was the objective of the money,i promise you that they wont get good value for money,and even if they got any value they wouldnt have achieved the full potential of what the money could have done, a result of marketers and branding execs who dont know their left from their right
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by AloyEmeka9: 5:45pm On Feb 18, 2009
and ill photocopy the rhetorical question back to you,does the fact that it is owned by a yoruba man mean that tribalism isnt involved?was the former president obj not a yorubaman and didntthey get a worse deal from him collectively than even abacha?

Yes, tribalism can still be involved but it makes no sense to claim that a company owned by a yorobaman is tribalistic against his own people. Can you tell me how Yorubas got the short end of the deal in Obasanjo's govt?

and lets even assume that they have to give 10 artistes 500million,shouldnt the ten represent all the fan base in nigeria?
some people like the agege,lagos island market men and women,dont watch igbowood movies but yorubawood, same as the hausas so should the demographics start artistes be completely ignored?considering these market women and co are glo customers.

You think the organizers didn't look at the demographics before investing their money?. Either way you look at it, yorubawood is popular only among the yorubas and that means the audience they capture is limited . Nollywood cuts across lines, igbos, Yorubas, Edos, Ibibios, Ijaws, Efiks, Itsekiri's etc. Common sense should tell you that and if you are investing that much money, invest it on the latter besides, they were chosen as ambassadors because GLo is diversifying to other African countries. Which Yorubawood star is popular across the shores of Yorubaland like these Nollywood stars?.  I'd prefer they choose at least 2 from each though.

one thing we shouldnt forget as well is that older artistes like the pete edochies,olu jacobs,jide kosoko,papy luwe e.t.c have more loyal fans who have been with them before most of these upstarts were even born.
Not true, they are not as popular as the younger ones. You need to understand the effect of sex appeal in pictures. Why is Van Vicker the most popular actor in African movies now when he is hardly a good actor?. Women set the pace in male stardom, it's their choice that matters because they are the ones that watch these movies most of the time. If most women hate an actor, no matter how good he is, he ain't going nowhere because your sales will drop.

Luca, I know this movie business may befuddle you but we get our stats from sales. It's the market forces that determines the pace in Nollywood.
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by StFunmi(f): 6:20am On Feb 19, 2009
Tory undecided undecided undecided
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by lucabrasi(m): 1:36pm On Feb 19, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Yes, tribalism can still be involved but it makes no sense to claim that a company owned by a yorobaman is tribalistic against his own people. Can you tell me how Yorubas got the short end of the deal in Obasanjo's govt?

lets start with destroying afenifere,non development of social infrastructures?ill give you more if you want but these two are quite exhaustive and extensive,
and ill repeat again that,the fact that a yoruba man owns a company doesnt mean it cant be seen to habour tribalism in particular actions /inactions

Aloy.Emeka:

You think the organizers didn't look at the demographics before investing their money?. Either way you look at it, yorubawood is popular only among the yorubas and that means the audience they capture is limited . Nollywood cuts across lines, igbos, Yorubas, Edos, Ibibios, Ijaws, Efiks, Itsekiri's etc. Common sense should tell you that and if you are investing that much money, invest it on the latter besides, they were chosen as ambassadors because GLo is diversifying to other African countries. Which Yorubawood star is popular across the shores of Yorubaland like these Nollywood stars?. I'd prefer they choose at least 2 from each though.
Not true, they are not as popular as the younger ones. You need to understand the effect of sex appeal in pictures. Why is Van Vicker the most popular actor in African movies now when he is hardly a good actor?. Women set the pace in male stardom, it's their choice that matters because they are the ones that watch these movies most of the time. If most women hate an actor, no matter how good he is, he ain't going nowhere because your sales will drop.

organisers do but as well all know, judging by the state of all the "woods" they dont do a good job of anything,neither do they get their priorities right,they(meaning the glo execs in charge of marketing)have not taken all the demographics of their customer bases into consideration, which is a failure in my book,first of all,im not comparing all the woods as you are itching to do,all i am saying is that if ordinary 100 yoruba viewers are glo customers,they should be adequately represented or are you saying only 10% of nigerians watch yoruba movies?bearing in mind the hausas with a majority who are illiterate watch their own hausa wood rather than igbowood movies.

so where is the proportional representation in that?

now before i address the other part of your coment,what is nollywood?cause i certainly am not taking your own definition of it as i know better by my knowledge of history,nollywood by all definitions means the nigerian movie industry and practitioners,of all languages, first of all like i said in my other comments, there are more yoruba theatre and movie practitioners than either hausas or ibos,the likes of the late herbert ogunde who was known as far as hollywood from way back in the 1950s and 1960s and was working on a hollywood partnership production before his death is yoruba, hard to belief?

go and google "mr johnson and ogunde" baba sala is another yoruba artise,ade love all these people started in the 1960s.1970s and have a more loyal followership that artistes who started less than 20 years ago,so why are they not represented?its simple logic that if i have people supporting me for 30 years and you have people supporting you for 10 years,mine will be more loyal,why do you think the likes of clint eastwood,morgan freeman e.t.c all command enormous power in hollywood?

i didnt see the part where it said their branching into other parts of africa is the reason for the selection,ill appreciate it if you show me tho,lets even assume that you are right,i hope you realise that hausa is spoken outside nigeria including ghana,niger up to mali ?
yoruba as a language and culture is spoken in more countries not just in africa but round the whole wide world than any nigerian or african language ,go and do a bit of online research and you ll see this is true, so where is the logic from that these ppl will propagate the message better?

i totally agree with you on the sex appeal,but i hope you realise that the fact that young girls like van vicker or any of these gys doesnt mean millions of yoruba men/women in south east london,lagos,and the south west e.t.c dont feel left out,especially the ones who are glo customers,where is the connection if you r showing an illiterate yoruba woman selling lace in lagos island or a mama sikira van vicker or nonso diobi?
who will a carpenter in agege or a peper soup seller in ketu rather identify with?rmd and rita dominic or baba suwe and mama suwe?
women might constitute the bulk of the buyers but you are making an unsound sociological assertion by not looking at the whole picture, that is why i said the marketers dont know their left from their right,the first thing they should have done is look at their customers and the nigerians who their potential target is,then they will make sure they proportionally represent every single facet of the society,even the thugs in oshodi,why do you think glo and others use pasuma,obesere e.t.c

Aloy.Emeka:

Luca, I know this movie business may befuddle you but we get our stats from sales. It's the market forces that determines the pace in Nollywood.
trust me and im solemly declaring here that,i will do a hell of a better job than the glo marketers,i will even agree not to be paid if i dont meet the set out target,cause im that sure,i dont agree with you,where is any credible statistics in nigeria? grin grin
so lets assume from alaba you ship 5 million movies to lagos island,another 3 million to iweka road e.t.c how will you know an adequate and reliable number of males to female ratio?
how will you know which of the fat lagos island woman selling lace has sent her daughter,housemaid,worker who might be ibo or hausa to buy the movies?
how will you know if the ibo businessman/woman is sending his yoruba or hausa driver to buy movies? ypu see how problematic and inpactical your seertion is?so educate me on how they get the statistics lol
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by debosky(m): 1:53pm On Feb 19, 2009
You guys are making assumptions - looking at tribal origins is not really the issue here.

The aim is to achieve MAXIMUM publicity for their products. Are those actors listed more or less the most popular in Nigeria AS A WHOLE? I'd wager that they are. I don't see any reason why they should do 'ethnic allocation' or 'proportional representation' in this matter. We need to get this tribal nonsense out of our heads.

When Glo decided to sponsor Sunny Ade, who asked for Igbo and Hausa musicians?

When Glo decided to sponsor D'banj and Sammy Okposo, who asked for Igbo and Hausa musicians?

When Glo decided to host the CAF awards in Lagos, did anyone ask for equivalent events to be staged in Enugu, Warri, Maiduguri and Uyo?

Glo has a reason why it is targeting different groups at different times - each time, the aim is to focus on the MOST popular in a given genre that they are interested in, be it music or otherwise.

Take off your tribalistic glasses for once. There is NOTHING tribal in this.
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by spikedcylinder: 3:02pm On Feb 19, 2009
Its alarming the way people raise tribal issues where there are none. Scary to think about seeing as I have to deal with such people everyday.
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by lucabrasi(m): 6:15pm On Feb 19, 2009
@debosky thats why i absolutely detest reasoning with people on here,why dont you look at issues on its own merits rather than going off on a tangent??

is tribalism in nollywood or not??

if globacom decided that 500million was to be given to 10 artistes who represent a lot of their customers but not all, secondly from a particular ethnicity,that is highlighting the issue of tribalism inherent in nollywood.

so does maximum publicity involve only english speaking,young men and women,and viewers who the artistes appeal to?oh i guess they r the only ones who use glo products,the market woman who doesnt understand english doesnt?

the men and women who only watch yoruba movies dont use glo?
the hausa man/woman who doesnt understand a word of english and views their hausa wood or whaever dont use glo?
so i guess once a particular set of demographics have been taken into consideration,the rest should be ignored?that is not sound marketing.

maybe according to you,they should just cater to a particular demographics and the rest of their customers can go jump in a lake untill,globacom marketers are reader to roll out sunny ade,dan maraya jos and pasuma

when glo sponsored sunny ade,was he the only one?same goes for sammie okposo e.t.c
even though im not in nigeria im cock sure everybody was adequately represented
when they sponsored d banj,was he the only nigerian hip hop artiste sponsored,most important from other ethnicities?

what has caf/lagos to do with tribalism??everyone knows lagos is a cosmopolitan city so what r you on about

hmmn ,i see you are even proffering reasons that globacom spokes persons have not even come up with ,how hillarious, ill like to point out a little puncture in yur flawed thesis,why did they include the jenifa girl then,isnt she yoruba?see how absurd your thesis sounds

my tribal glasses for once,where exactly have we ever had a debate on tribalism where i was supporting a tribe before??dude,r you sure you v got the right person or you r mixing me up with someone else?
spikedcylinder:

Its alarming the way people raise tribal issues where there are none. Scary to think about seeing as I have to deal with such people everyday.
whoever you are,i hope you wernt reffering to me because i sure as hell dont know who you are, neither are you anything but a set of username to me so i dont know who you r reffering to as being scary,if you dont like people's comments,its easier to pass by or make your comments while ignoring theirs especially if they didnt reffer to you!!
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by debosky(m): 6:49pm On Feb 19, 2009
lucabrasi:

when glo sponsored sunny ade,was he the only one?[/b]same goes for sammie okposo e.t.c
[b]even though im not in nigeria im cock
sure everybody was adequately represented
when they sponsored d banj,was he the only nigerian hip hop artiste sponsored,most important from other ethnicities?
Expose your ignorance - how can you be 'cock sure' about something you know nothing about?

I have read the argument you put forward, but it is nothing but poppycock.

Sunny Ade was the ONLY artiste sponsored at the time, they painted his house/studio at Jibowu in Lagos GLO colours and he received EXCLUSIVE sponsorship for singing '0805 is my number'. NO ETHNIC 'spread' was carried out.

When D'Banj and Sammy Okposo were selected, they were the ONLY ones selected, with NO ethnic spread. They were the most popular in their genres and that was that.

I am not saying other consumers should wait, but it is the height of presumptuousness to sit there and tell GLO they should 'represent' their client base in a way YOU deem fit.

If NO OUTCRY was raised in the case of a PRIVATE organisation sponsoring Sunny, Dbanj and others, why should any be raised now?

Even if Lagos is cosmopolitan, is it in the geographical North? I simply gave that example to show the ridiculous reasoning behind your post. You can equally argue - are all football supporters in Nigeria based in Lagos? Why not host the event in the National Capital? Why not in Ogun state or Abia State?

hmmn ,i see you are even proffering reasons that globacom spokes persons have not even come up with ,how hillarious, ill like to point out a little puncture in yur flawed thesis,why did they include the jenifa girl then,isnt she yoruba?see how absurd[b] your thesis [/b]sounds
What thesis? All I've said is that they've chosen people who are popular at the moment to promote their brand. That's the reason they chose Sunny, Dbanj, Sammy and now even Jenifa. She's obviously the most popular Yoruba actress around now, so there is every reason to do that.

my tribal glasses for once,where exactly have we ever had a debate on tribalism where i was supporting a tribe before??dude,r you sure you v got the right person or you r mixing me up with someone else?
It is irrelevant whether you have had previous posts on tribalism, it doesn't remove the flawed and obviously tribalistic reasoning you've displayed here. I am not imputing anything from previous arguments, the tribal glasses comment was directed primarily at Funmi.

Your cloaking your own tribalism (in this case, and not any perceived 'previous' meeting) under 'demographics' is flawed. Not everything in Nigeria must be done on 'quota' basis.

Maximum publicity at this moment (for Globacom) refers to the artistes listed. This can easily be seen from their previous actions, which have not been based on tribe, but based on popularity.

You are the one going off on a tangent about tribalism in nollywood. Glo is not charged with achieving equality in the movie industry - they are looking for publicity or popularity and have gone for that. Simple.

It is not their job to correct YOUR perceived grouses with the movie industry.

No one is saying those people should go and jump into the lake, I doubt if they will ask why Yoruba artistes or Hausa artistes were not chosen. There was no hue and cry then when previous artistes were chosen, so why should the tribal knives be brought out now?
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by lucabrasi(m): 9:49pm On Feb 19, 2009
debosky:

Expose your ignorance - how can you be 'cock sure' about something you know nothing about?

I have read the argument you put forward, but it is nothing but poppycock.

Sunny Ade was the ONLY artiste sponsored at the time, they painted his house/studio at Jibowu in Lagos GLO colours and he received EXCLUSIVE sponsorship for singing '0805 is my number'. NO ETHNIC 'spread' was carried out.

When D'Banj and Sammy Okposo were selected, they were the ONLY ones selected, with NO ethnic spread. They were the most popular in their genres and that was that.

i hope you realise these verbal barbs isnt helping your stance,while ill totally ignore the rest of your juvenille prea mbles,pls direct me to any website where it was written that sunny ade was the only artiste chosen,as for painting his house,he wasnt the only one go to lagos country club,ikoyi club including several public places, i hope you realise sammie okposo isnt yoruba?just thought ill make thast observation

debosky:

I am not saying other consumers should wait, but it is the height of presumptuousness to sit there and tell GLO they should 'represent' their client base in a way YOU deem fit.

If NO OUTCRY was raised in the case of a PRIVATE organisation sponsoring Sunny, Dbanj and others, why should any be raised now?

Even if Lagos is cosmopolitan, is it in the geographical North? I simply gave that example to show the ridiculous reasoning behind your post. You can equally argue - are all football supporters in Nigeria based in Lagos? Why not host the event in the National Capital? Why not in Ogun state or Abia State?

dbanj and sammie okposo were not the only ones selected,p square were selected as well,with assertions inn some quarters that d banj was dumped for them at some point,i dont know if there was something in this or not,but pls dont tell me what i know,all you have done at this point is make general assumptions to suit your case,please show me anything to prove it and ill apologise for this, as far as im concerned you are speaking from a realm of speculations.

do you know the meaning of marketing at all?do you think we r talking here of the right and the wromng way of doing things??
this isnt an option,it is a right more for globacom's sake than either the subscribers or the peotential subscribers sake,in a competitive market where subscribers have multiple choices,anything you do has to be seen to appeal to the whole demographics,show a qualified marketer what i ahve written and hear his/her views,i know what im talking about dude!

the last paragraph has clearly shown how clueless you are about how marketing works,lem me explain it to you in a way you ll understand, why are there signs in pakistani,indian ,polish languages in public places in the uk like job centres??
according t your flawed thessis,is the uk part of india or pakistani or poland?you see how that sounds??its simply called catering to the peculiar tastes of different demographics,

why do universities,fone and manuals generally have different translations of the directions??

you see why im struggling with all you have written?

debosky:

What thesis? All I've said is that they've chosen people who are popular at the moment to promote their brand. That's the reason they chose Sunny, Dbanj, Sammy and now even Jenifa. She's obviously the most popular Yoruba actress around now, so there is every reason to do that.
It is irrelevant whether you have had previous posts on tribalism, it doesn't remove the flawed and obviously tribalistic reasoning you've displayed here. I am not imputing anything from previous arguments, the tribal glasses comment was directed primarily at Funmi.

the theis is that going by your comments that they v chosen to use the most popular artistes at the moment,mentioning the jenifa girl,is that adequate representation of the particular demographics she represents?
seeing as you are totally fixated on this sunny and sammie i hope you realise you r on about two dinstinct and different ethnic groups here?
dont bother about my comments on me being a tribalists as i really dont give a monkeys what you think one way or another,most people on here will tell you i dont have friends neither do i seek friends so its no issue irrespective of what you think of me,the fact is that you dont know me,neither do i know you and theres no chance of both of us knowing each other past nairaland,so shy should i care really? smiley
i honestly dont know who is funmi,but im glad thats cleared out of the way

debosky:

Your cloaking your own tribalism (in this case, and not any perceived 'previous' meeting) under 'demographics' is flawed. Not everything in Nigeria must be done on 'quota' basis.

Maximum publicity at this moment (for Globacom) refers to the artistes listed. This can easily be seen from their previous actions, which have not been based on tribe, but based on popularity.

You are the one going off on a tangent about tribalism in nollywood. Glo is not charged with achieving equality in the movie industry - they are looking for publicity or popularity and have gone for that. Simple.

again you dont seem to understand or have the faintest idea of what im on about demographics, this is not quota like we know it of representing just ethnicities,this cuts across everybody glo are reaching out to
1.the ibo man or woman who doesnt understand english or of an older generation who might prefer someone older of same tribe(mentioned this to show you how absurd your bleating of tribalism is) or are they not glo customers?
2.yoruba men and women who prefer one of their own stars not the jenifa girl,unless you r saying she is more popular than many yoruba artistes,the fact that theres a jenifa hype amongst the youths doesnt make it representative of all yorubas.
3.hausas who might have a preference for their own movies(which i have been told and read on here are legion)are they not glo subscribers?

demographics represented with the ten artistes are the young to middle aged up to mid 40s, the older generation of all tribes were not represented,the illiterate panel beater,mechanic,carpenter e.t.c were not represented,and there was an overrepresentation of a particular ethnic group about 90smthing percent,if you ignore everything i have written but read and understand this partucular comment/para,3 sets of demographics i have listed which cuts across tribes who are globacom customers or potential customers were not represented,in my very first comment i mentioned pete edochie,amaka igwe but trust a typical nairalander you totally ignored that part and ll rather go off on one.

in case you havnt noticed the trent of your comment,you are actually the one ascribing here,you have concluded that irrespective of whatever reasons glo marketers might have for these choices either right or wrong,these ten are the most popular like you have decreed and so are adequate representations of NOT THE NIGERIAN ETHNIC GROUPS,BUT GLO SUBSCRIBERS AND POTENTIAL SUBSCRIBERS, TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!

lets assume for a mili sec glo are looking for artistes who will appeal to both their existing subscribers and potential subscribers ,which im sure you agree with right?
in your opinion as a nigerian,are these ten an adequate representation of all glo customers or potential glo customers?bearing in mind that like any private business like you have highlighted earlier,they are spending money with a view to achieving the greatest value out of it as possible, in this case the most amount of appeal/subscribers,
debosky:

It is not their job to correct YOUR perceived grouses with the movie industry.

No one is saying those people should go and jump into the lake, I doubt if they will ask why Yoruba artistes or Hausa artistes were not chosen. There was no hue and cry then when previous artistes were chosen, so why should the tribal knives be brought out now?

you are totally right,its not their job as they are a private entity concerned with their profits and subscriber base e.t.c however in case you didnt read my first comments,before jumping in to attack i mentioned this as a moral aside not glo's responsibility in view of what they r trying to achieve,thank GOD the poster himself agreed that he thinks they should have had 2 from each demographics while you are busy shouting tribalism.

first of all,let us remove all this assumption that the fact that people dont shout means something must be right,dont we have our own sense of right and wrong??
my comments were made from a marketing and economic point of view but you had to steer the whole thing to sunny ade and sammyand whose house was painted and what not,the fact of the matter is that the marketers who i presume handled the contract did a shoddy job because they didnt account for a major bloc of potential glo subscribers ans existing glo subscribers especially as glo is in it for the money, secondly either u like it or not,there is tribalism in nollywood and when there is a noticeable slant of the people chosen towards a single ethnic group,then eyebrows start being raised,out of ten people only one is yoruba and no hausa is absurd to say the list, im still trying to see where glo or any company for that matter came out with 8/9 out of ten artistes coming from one single tribe, u can help me out if you know any
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by debosky(m): 10:56pm On Feb 19, 2009
@ Luca

I apologise if my 'juvenile preambles' offend you, it was not the intention.

Right back to the matter. I ignored your demographic analysis, not because it doesn't hold some validity, but because it was focusing on why certain yoruba people were not 'included' or not. That to me, means you had an issue with the tribes of the selected movie stars, and that smacks of tribalism to me.

You may say I am wrong with that assertion, but that is my perception of the underlying motive of your 'demographic' analysis.

Now on to 'marketing'. I do know a bit about marketing, but let's not get distracted. There is no way any single campaign can appeal to every single demographic at every single time. You need to always select at each pertinent moment which PARTICULAR demographic(s) you want to target.

Sunny Ade was selected to appeal to a given demographic - Older people who prefer the 'classic' Nigerian music

Dbanj - urban young people, Okposo - Delta/Christian music followers. Get the drift?

P square was selected only after the Dbanj deal went sour. The aim was to have ONE mainstream artiste promoting the brand and Psquare only came in when Dbanj fell out with them.

Now back to your demographic treatise

why are there signs in pakistani,indian ,polish languages in public places in the uk like job centres??
according t your flawed thessis,is the uk part of india or pakistani or poland?you see how that sounds??its simply called catering to the peculiar tastes of different demographics,
Ol boy why not ask me to explain my 'thesis' before jumping the gun?

I'm glad you used the term 'peculiar' demographics. The aim of the movie star awards is to cater to a 'peculiar demographic' not the WHOLE demographic. Going by the logic you put up there, are Hindu, Pashto and Polish the ONLY foreign languages spoken in the UK? No, but the languages chosen are done in a manner to make an impact on the desired demographic.

In the same manner, the GLO thing is targeted at certain people, hence their sponsorship of the artistes.

the theis is that going by your comments that they v chosen to use the most popular artistes at the moment,mentioning the jenifa girl,is that adequate representation of the particular demographics she represents?
Defining 'adequacy' in this case would be very tough. She is definitely the MOST popular and upcoming Yoruba artiste at the moment, so a very good relationship can be built with the GLO brand as she grows. I am a bit unclear about what you are asking here - she represents a sizable chunk of the Yoruba demographic, but like any other artiste, no one can cover everything.

this cuts across everybody glo are reaching out to
1.the ibo man or woman who doesnt understand english or of an older generation who might prefer someone older of same tribe(mentioned this to show you how absurd your bleating of tribalism is) or are they not glo customers?
2.yoruba men and women who prefer one of their own stars not the jenifa girl,unless you r saying she is more popular than many yoruba artistes,the fact that theres a jenifa hype amongst the youths doesnt make it representative of all yorubas.
3.hausas who might have a preference for their own movies(which i have been told and read on here are legion)are they not glo subscribers?

First of all, there is no denial that this ad campaign is not representative of the entire country. But that in no way makes it incorrect or unsuitable for the aims of Globacom at this present time.

in your opinion as a nigerian,are these ten an adequate representation of all glo customers or potential glo customers?
There are no 10 artistes that represent all glo customers and potential customers. The definition of 'adequate' is also quite flexible. As I mentioned earlier, where is it defined that this particular campaign is focused at reaching the entire demographic? I don't think it is, and it definitely isn't. It is a FOCUSED campaign at a PARTICULAR demographic.

GLO cannot cater to EVERY section of the demographic, no matter how hard they try. You will always find groups and subsets that have peculiar tastes that will require a inordinate effort to 'reach' them.

All the company can do is 'TARGET' it's desired demographic per ad campaign. It will be folly and financially ruinous to attempt to appeal to each and every demographic at the SAME TIME

Two more things - you 'presume' the marketers did a shoddy job because they didn't appeal to the entire demographic. I disagree. As previous evidence has shown, campaigns are progressive, targeting DIFFERENT demographic groups in succession. This PARTICULAR move might not cover the whole demographic or 'majority' of the demographic, but I do believe it covers the 'desired' demographic for THIS campaign.

Sunny Ade's sponsorship was not aimed at capturing 16-35 year olds, Dbanj's was. The two did not run concurrently but one came after another.

The main issue I have with you is that you have concluded that it is over at this point. Without having access to the initial brief given to the marketers, you are unable to state that they have failed. I know I do not have access to that either, but I have at least been able to show that various campaigns have targeted various demographics without attempting to cover AL in one go. In that light, this could simply be another in a line of adverts.

To reiterate, my reason for 'going off' was Funmi's initial claim of 'tribalism', you bringing in 'tribalism in nollywood' (something not pertinent to the main issue as such) and the like.

This campaign should be seen for what it is - a TARGETED campaign at a particular demographic. It may appear to you that they aren't getting the 'bang for their buck', but then again, if it is a successive/step wise targeting of different demographics, then it doesn't matter.

Is 8/9 of artistes from a particular tribe now the standard to judge an ad campaign. Why is the tribal identity being picked up as an issue? Ok they must focus on the 'full' demographic. Is it only Igbos that like Rita or Ramsey or Desmond? In that light, I disagree completely. Some Igbos will not even like Desmond because he doesn't act in Igbo only (i.e speaking) movies. the same way Yorubas at the other end of the spectrum will not appeal.

Giving their tribal origin as a basis for saying the campaign is slanted doesn't fly for me.
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by lucabrasi(m): 4:55pm On Feb 20, 2009
debosky:

@ Luca

I apologise if my 'juvenile preambles' offend you, it was not the intention.

Right back to the matter. I ignored your demographic analysis, not because it doesn't hold some validity, but because it was focusing on why certain yoruba people were not 'included' or not. That to me, means you had an issue with the tribes of the selected movie stars, and that smacks of tribalism to me.

You may say I am wrong with that assertion, but that is my perception of the underlying motive of your 'demographic' analysis.

Now on to 'marketing'. I do know a bit about marketing, but let's not get distracted. There is no way any single campaign can appeal to every single demographic at every single time. You need to always select at each pertinent moment which PARTICULAR demographic(s) you want to target.

Sunny Ade was selected to appeal to a given demographic - Older people who prefer the 'classic' Nigerian music

First of all, there is no denial that this ad campaign is not representative of the entire country. But that in no way makes it incorrect or unsuitable for the aims of Globacom at this present time.

no worries sir,same here smiley

i mentioned the tribe of the chosen ten because it was wayy too obvious,and ill repeat and prove beyond any shadow of doubt that i am speaking from a putrely economic/marketing point of view why the ten chosen was wrong,if i am writing comments based on ethnic bias,which tribe would you say i am supporting?

the yorubas for highlighting the fact that only one representative was mentioned and who doesnt even represent a large bloc of older yoruba men and women who are also glo subscribers?

the hausas for the same reason,and worse without any single representative in a supposed nationwide marketing campaign?

or even the ibo for the same reasons for ignoring the older generation,the illiterates?

what tribe exactly am i supporting here lol
im still struggling to see the marketing rationale behind 7 young men and women from same ethnicit,y under the guise that they are the most popular in nigerian movie industry at the moment which u and i both know isnt true,and then a single yoruba girl who doesnt represent the people she is supposedly representing in the nationwide marketing campaign,it doesnt make any sense

ill simply tell you why it is incorrect and unsuitable either now or at any time, it is because the marketers who are in charge of choosing the 10 didnt utilise the money made available to them to its full potential,its simply economics that if the same amount of money with the target ten artiste's can appeal to every glo customer and most important potential customer/subscriber,isnt it logical to do the latter?
while i am saying it might not be glo's fault but the marketers, who do not know what they r doing,you are advocating for them just on the strenght that,they had to have known what they r doing based on the fact that they have used yoruba muscisians before.

debosky:

Dbanj - urban young people, Okposo - Delta/Christian music followers. Get the drift?

P square was selected only after the Dbanj deal went sour. The aim was to have ONE mainstream artiste promoting the brand and Psquare only came in when Dbanj fell out with them.

Now back to your demographic treatise
Ol boy why not ask me to explain my 'thesis' before jumping the gun?

I'm glad you used the term 'peculiar' demographics. The aim of the movie star awards is to cater to a 'peculiar demographic' not the WHOLE demographic. Going by the logic you put up there, are Hindu, Pashto and Polish the ONLY foreign languages spoken in the UK? No, but the languages chosen are done in a manner to make an impact on the desired demographic.

In the same manner, the GLO thing is targeted at certain people, hence their sponsorship of the artistes.
Defining 'adequacy' in this case would be very tough. She is definitely the MOST popular and upcoming Yoruba artiste at the moment, so a very good relationship can be built with the GLO brand as she grows. I am a bit unclear about what you are asking here - she represents a sizable chunk of the Yoruba demographic, but like any other artiste, no one can cover everything.

thank you very much for explainingnthe peculiarity lol so going by what i was trying to say,if the british government used pakistani,indian,polish e.t.c languages in their various public places to represent the majority of minorities in the uk,isnt it peculiar that a fone provider with a supposed across board national appeal will be seen to have more representation in one ethnicity than others?

imagine having just the the pakistani dominating everything without the bangladesh,chinese e.t.c

ok,now i understand,going by your comments above,glo are not concerned"at this time"with all the other subscribers,at least as far as this nollywood thing is concerned,but only the people represented by the ten,so lets see, the only people they r concerned with will be
1.young,upwardly mobile,educated,mostly from the east and young men and women,educated from the yoruba side.
going back to the jenifa girl,she only represents the young,hip yoruba boys and girls,mostly university graduates/undergraduates who can identify with what the humour is all about,an illiterate panel beater cannot get the funny side of "oush" even if he is yoruba.

hausas-not interested
older yoruba men and women-not interested
older ibo men and women-not interested
illiterate yoruba,ibo and hausa-not interested

neither are glo as a phone subscriber/a company interested in the maximum profit in a competitive phone service provision interested in including them in this scheme, hmmn

debosky:

There are no 10 artistes that represent all glo customers and potential customers. The definition of 'adequate' is also quite flexible. As I mentioned earlier, where is it defined that this particular campaign is focused at reaching the entire demographic? I don't think it is, and it definitely isn't. It is a FOCUSED campaign at a PARTICULAR demographic.

GLO cannot cater to EVERY section of the demographic, no matter how hard they try. You will always find groups and subsets that have peculiar tastes that will require a inordinate effort to 'reach' them.

All the company can do is 'TARGET' it's desired demographic per ad campaign. It will be folly and financially ruinous to attempt to appeal to each and every demographic at the SAME TIME

Two more things - you 'presume' the marketers did a shoddy job because they didn't appeal to the entire demographic. I disagree. As previous evidence has shown, campaigns are progressive, targeting DIFFERENT demographic groups in succession. This PARTICULAR move might not cover the whole demographic or 'majority' of the demographic, but I do believe it covers the 'desired' demographic for THIS campaign.

Sunny Ade's sponsorship was not aimed at capturing 16-35 year olds, Dbanj's was. The two did not run concurrently but one came after another.

if what you mean by glo reaching their target demographics is, excluding the above that i have highlighted in a competitive business, where all companies aims is for maximum profit,then i agree with you,

they can definitely cater to every demographics,especially with a scheme such as this,they dont need to increase the number of artiste neither do they need to increase the amount of money,all they will simply do is re shuffle the artistes maybe 5 artistes from the mainstream igbo/english movie genre jim iyke,rita dominic,uche jombo,the calabar dude,genevieve or whoever including the jenifa girl.
two artistes representing yoruba mainstream,older generation,2 for the ibo mainstream and 1 for the hausawood simple!!

again,seeing as i dont know,fpr all we know you might be the marketing co ordinator/director for the whole scheme,so i will accept your reasons not because they seem right but because im at a loss as to why any marketing executive woth his/her salt will make that sort of error

debosky:

The main issue I have with you is that you have concluded that it is over at this point. Without having access to the initial brief given to the marketers, you are unable to state that they have failed. I know I do not have access to that either, but I have at least been able to show that various campaigns have targeted various demographics without attempting to cover AL in one go. In that light, this could simply be another in a line of adverts.

To reiterate, my reason for 'going off' was Funmi's initial claim of 'tribalism', you bringing in 'tribalism in nollywood' (something not pertinent to the main issue as such) and the like.

This campaign should be seen for what it is - a TARGETED campaign at a particular demographic. It may appear to you that they aren't getting the 'bang for their buck', but then again, if it is a successive/step wise targeting of different demographics, then it doesn't matter.

Is 8/9 of artistes from a particular tribe now the standard to judge an ad campaign. Why is the tribal identity being picked up as an issue? Ok they must focus on the 'full' demographic. Is it only Igbos that like Rita or Ramsey or Desmond? In that light, I disagree completely. Some Igbos will not even like Desmond because he doesn't act in Igbo only (i.e speaking) movies. the same way Yorubas at the other end of the spectrum will not appeal.

Giving their tribal origin as a basis for saying the campaign is slanted doesn't fly for me.

while you have hurriedly shielded yourself from contradiction by the comments in the first paragraph justifying your stance,you have failed to see an obvious point,which is that, even going by your own assertions without question,this is the very first initiative of this kind,nothing to do with musicians and a group of ten, not one,not two,not three but ten.
second obvious point is that,if their aim was to use the most popular,these ten,even by nollywood standards are not the most popular and we both know that.

i brough tribalism in because that is the perception shown from the initial line up,i brought tribalism in the context that line ups like that is re intrenching the existing tribalism in nollywood industry,practitioners from hausa and yoruba are complaining of tribalism and glo who have prided themselves on having a nationwide across the board appeal brings out an initiative to appeal to the whole nation,and what do they do?they use 7 from the ibowood industry 1 from yoruba and none at all from the hausas,highlighting the general perception,you get it now?that is why tribalism cropped up, not tribalism against yoruba,but hausa and in addittion excluding a major bloc of their subscribers which i ahve listed above,i am supporting this stance becaudse like i have explained in detail,it is elementary economics and marketing anyone given this job should have known,stating the reasons why with my analogy above.

you accuse me of jumping the gun,and ascribing reasons for what doesnt exsist,but here you are doing the same thing,my reasons for saying the marketers are wrong is simply because it is very bad economics to under utilise funds -placed at your disposal and i have proven a simple way what i am advocating can be done without spending more or including more artistes,and you are saying the fact that sunny ade and the other guy had been used,is enough reason to conclude that they must have nown what they r doing,pls objectively check both reasons and see which is logical.

of course but what we are talking about here is something in software testing called boundary value analysis, that is while not getting the exact appeal,you are working to use someone who will appeal to the most people.

while tribalism was just an aside i used, but which you magnified over the majority of my posts,the main body of my comments which is, the marketer doing a bad job of not utilising the funds available fully hence elementary marketing and economics blunder on their part.
lastly,i hope you realise that,in marketing and protecting your brand,perception matters even more than anything else,again you can ask any marketer or advert person you know this,if the perception is that your company is racist,rightly or wrongly people will troop to the next company especially in a competitive market.
im sure you remember when procter and gable were accused of worsjipping the devil,what happened,even though it wasnt true?

same thing with the rumour that deodorants cause cancer what happened,even though it wasnt true?
Re: Glo Splashes N500million On 10 Movie Stars by StFunmi(f): 9:21pm On Feb 21, 2009
im still struggling to see the marketing rationale behind 7 young men and women from same ethnicit,y under the guise that they are the most popular in nigerian movie industry at the moment which u and i both know isnt true,and then a single yoruba girl who doesnt represent the people she is supposedly representing in the nationwide marketing campaign,it doesnt make any sense
Tribalism and nothing else. We suffer hausas from left and igbos from right. They can't fool us. Marginalization is a bitch. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Can I Download Movies In Mp4 720p Format / bbnaija: Tboss Shows Off Her Pierced Niipples On TV 18+ (Photos & Video) / National Geographic Vs Discovery Channel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 198
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.