Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Lets Talk "WATERMELON" - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Lets Talk "WATERMELON" (8924 Views)

If watermelon is so profitable, why are farmers not cultivating it commercially? / Invest In My 20 Hectare Watermelon/cucumber Farm / Lets Talk Organic Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 10:52am On May 23, 2015
Great Watermelon Farmers...... lets get together and put our experience in written for the benefit of intending and first-time farmers. Both pros and cons of watermelon experience are welcome on this thread. Lets make this agricultural goldmine "comely" to others. stay following....
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by write2obi(m): 11:43am On May 23, 2015
Watermelon could mean a lot of things lipsrsealed
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 11:57am On May 23, 2015
write2obi:
Watermelon could mean a lot of things lipsrsealed
Ok........like what and what bro?
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by write2obi(m): 11:59am On May 23, 2015
OLAMIMO12:

Ok........like what and what bro?
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 1:10pm On May 23, 2015
write2obi:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
meaning ?
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by Curiouscity(m): 6:33pm On May 23, 2015
OLAMIMO12:

meaning ?

No mind the clown. Maybe he thought he is in 'lomance' section. Children everywhere on Nairaland.

Back to topic, what are the subtopics you are expecting the gurus to contribute. I will love to know something about cultivation and marketing.
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by write2obi(m): 6:58pm On May 23, 2015
Curiouscity:

No mind the clown. Maybe he thought he is in 'lomance' section. Children everywhere on Nairaland.

Back to topic, what are the subtopics you are expecting the gurus to contribute. I will love to know something about cultivation and marketing.
I know it me you are referring to as a clown grin , call me a clown one more time undecided
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by dav8id(m): 9:52pm On May 23, 2015
@op you dont start thread in this way...when you start a thread try at lease contribute something and then others will follow.but you just start a thread and you yourself never contribute what will you expect from others.

for me am waiting for you input then i bring in mine too...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 3:44am On May 24, 2015
@dav8id.......am sorry for this. I was somehow busy when I wrote those few lines to start this thread.
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 3:57am On May 24, 2015
My first encounter with watermelon production business started with an article I read online. I got excited with the well polished info in the article. I subscribed for more info/lessons from the author. Mails kept coming my inbox. It was ended by : " walk into any GTB Branch, pay N5,000 into so so so account, and send............ you will get the link to download THE MANUAL". That message was a total disappointment but created much concern about the business in me.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 2:01pm On May 24, 2015
After that "MANUAL MESS", i started running web search. I knew no watermelon farmer. I just keep moving on with research. I toiled a lot before I can gather needed info to start a backyard watermelon farm.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 2:56am On May 26, 2015
When I got prepared to start my backyard watermelon farm, I moved from NIHORT to IITA, IITA to .........
........ , searching for good watermelon seeds. I later got that of technism from Agritropic Nig. Ltd. Deu to my ignorance, I planted a row in January ...........lol cheesy. You know how dry the land will be in January. I have never planted anything before then.........dont know that germination will not take place without moist condition........... grin

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 10:06pm On May 26, 2015
Later, I decided to water the new rows of planted watermelon. l did in early March. Germination took place and the plants emerged. .........success ! You heard me shouting sucess? NOT success but begining of my learning trip.
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 5:44am On May 30, 2015
l grew that backyard watermelon farm organically. No chemical applied. The begining was ok. But no end result, no yeild. I harvested only 2 healthy fruits from the whole farm. I had about 40 watermelon plants on the farm.
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by shema101(f): 6:56pm On Jun 04, 2015
@Olamimo, I don try ur number tire and even sent u a mail . I am having same problems now... I planted in April, d beginning was good as I even applied herbicides, fungicides and fertilizer... d moment I applied fungicides is d beginning of d problems o and I have invested a lot into it and ain't going to give up but jus need someone to talk to and know where I have gone wrong. tnx
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 9:27pm On Jun 04, 2015
shema101:
@Olamimo, I don try ur number tire and even sent u a mail . I am having same problems now... I planted in April, d beginning was good as I even applied herbicides, fungicides and fertilizer... d moment I applied fungicides is d beginning of d problems o and I have invested a lot into it and ain't going to give up but jus need someone to talk to and know where I have gone wrong. tnx
Things will get its shape.
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by Neduzze5(m): 4:13pm On Jun 09, 2015
Did you later plant the watermelon?
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by 2ru9jaman: 7:54pm On Jun 09, 2015
Is there any contact that one can get the seeds in lagos/sango axis please and what is the cost of 500g of tecnisen brand seed
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 2:44pm On Jun 21, 2015
2ru9jaman:
Is there any contact that one can get the seeds in lagos/sango axis please and what is the cost of 500g of tecnisen brand seed
sorry for late response. i have no knowledge of that. i can send to you, ONLY if you wish.
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by jethro2: 4:19pm On Jun 21, 2015
2ru9jaman:
There is a technisem agent in mile 12. You can also get across to Soloxam. He right on nairaland
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by olerismith(m): 4:34pm On Jun 21, 2015
I have also planted watermelon too, I got the seed from technisem in Ibadan, though I planted in Lagos, its start to mature at two months, and few days. The type I planted is Sugar-Baby. I did not apply thing like fertilizer, chemical or manure.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 3:58am On Jun 22, 2015
Harvest time

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by sheyi86: 5:20am On Jun 22, 2015
Gud morning OLAMIMO pls i av some questions 2 ask u sir (1) wot month and date (or it can be planted anytime) can i plant my watermelon (2) wen did u start 2 apply fungicide (3) did u get d sugar baby variety frm technisem and hw much did u buy it (4) wot are d mistakes dat farmer do make dat used 2 cause failure dat u avoided. Thanks sir.
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by Pavore9: 7:02am On Jun 22, 2015
olerismith:
I have also planted watermelon too, I got the seed from technisem in Ibadan, though I planted in Lagos, its start to mature at two months, and few days. The type I planted is Sugar-Baby. I did not apply thing like fertilizer, chemical or manure.

Is technisem not providing support services whereby you can call them over the phone if you experience issues along the way?

2 Likes

Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by jethro2: 8:01am On Jun 22, 2015
Pavore9:

Is technisem not providing support services whereby you can call them over the phone if you experience issues along the way?
They do provide. They even have a field expert that guides on their crops. You can also invite them to your farm for visits.
How many people call them?

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by Pavore9: 8:28am On Jun 22, 2015
jethro2:

They do provide. They even have a field expert that guides on their crops. You can also invite them to your farm for visits.

l was just wondering because l know that is the standard practice of seed companies.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by sheyi86: 11:17am On Jun 22, 2015
sheyi86:
Gud morning OLAMIMO pls i av some questions 2 ask u sir (1) wot month and date (or it can be planted anytime) can i plant my watermelon (2) wen did u start 2 apply fungicide (3) did u get d sugar baby variety frm technisem and hw much did u buy it (4) wot are d mistakes dat farmer do make dat used 2 cause failure dat u avoided. Thanks sir.
@OLAMIMO dont 4get 2 answer my questions o.
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by Goldenboy842(m): 4:30pm On Jun 22, 2015
They just 6 days old and looking big and healthy
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 6:47pm On Jun 22, 2015
jethro2:

Look my Sister, we only know the distributors of those seed companies. We dont have a SURE access to them. Mind you, the distributors have no time for any other business than selling.

2 Likes

Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by OLAMIMO12(m): 6:48pm On Jun 22, 2015
sheyi86:
@OLAMIMO dont 4get 2 answer my questions o.
whatsapp
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by sheyi86: 8:56pm On Jun 22, 2015
OLAMIMO12:
whatsapp
i'm nt on whatsapp bt i wl call u.thanks sir
Re: Lets Talk "WATERMELON" by Soloxam(m): 10:33pm On Jun 22, 2015
OLAMIMO12:

Look my Sister, we only know the distributors of those seed companies. We dont have a SURE access to them. Mind you, the distributors have no time for any other business than selling.
@ Olamimo, this is the second time am replying you on this forum base on your irrelevant and base less point. Pls find out things before you say it out. Several farmers will testify to what am saying, I personally have visited and stay days in many peoples farms just to put them right, how will you expect me to come to ur farm or render an assistance if am not invited, you personally, several time I have attended to you on watsapp, but you know what I stop answering your question when I found out they are irrelevant also some other people who feel they can just be asking or play over my intelligent.
We are not God but we have play a vital roles in the lifes of many farmers including you...... I heard my colleague attending to you on watsapp sometime ago but am surprise to see you writing this here.......
Pls mind what u put down here on this kind of forum.....
Peace........

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Don't People Like To Rear Cockerel Birds? / Registration Has Begun For 2017 Cassava Planting Season / Destiny Agro And Allied Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.