Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday (1244 Views)

Photos: This Lady Was Found Wandering On 3rd Mainland Bridge Yesterday / Robbery Reportedly Ongoing On Carter Bridge In Lagos / Robbery On Carter Bridge! Gun Blazing! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by Nobody: 9:05am On May 26, 2015
I closed from work at 5pm. I decided to wait for a friend that has a car because i knew the commercial drivers would have hiked their fares as a result of the fuel scarcity. We finally left marina around 6. We decided to use carter bridge to avoid the traffic on Eko bridge.

On getting to Carter bridge, we suddenly heard a loud bang. Our tyre had burst. Infact, it had torn into shreds! shocked. Thank God we werent overspeeding. It would have been a fatal accident.

Immediately we stopped the car, some dangerous looking guys came out of no where. They started demanding for money and our phones grin ;

I knew we couldnt fight them because we were outnumbered. But my friend thought otherwise. He was dealt a very heavy blow on his jaw. They even said they would throw us into the lagoon if we didnt cooperate with them. That was when I realised we were in deep shit!!

I started begging them in Yoruba. They said we should just drop 20k and they would let us be. I told them we didnt have more than 1k on us. Their leader started threatening to throw our spare tyre into the lagoon. We pleaded, but they wouldnt listen. They later reduced the money to 5k. But I insisted that I had only 3K on me. Passersby were just staring at us. Some were even laughing grin grin. Na one man for himself for this Lagos o

They later accepted the 3k. One of them even helped us to change the wheel.

It is an experience I will live to remember for a long time.

Have you had a similar experience? Kindly share yours.

1 Like

Re: My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by TRADELYN: 9:09am On May 26, 2015
Hmmm...too bad!

That's why the biggest Nigerian problem is rising unemployment rate. lipsrsealed

Even Gen. Buhari agrees to this.

1 Like

Re: My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by indiraserv: 9:09am On May 26, 2015
You both were lucky,I have never heard of negotiating with robbers,Sounds almost like striking you were trying to strike a business deal.
Re: My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by Nobody: 9:14am On May 26, 2015
indiraserv:
You both were lucky,I have never heard of negotiating with robbers,Sounds almost like striking you were trying to strike a business deal.

As in ehn...It was daylight armed robbery...and there was no mobile police to save us. We were on our own!
Re: My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by indiraserv: 9:16am On May 26, 2015
I can't imagine,sorry let's hope change will bring some form of security
sureguy02:

As in ehn...It was daylight armed robbery...and there was no mobile police to save us. We were on our own!
Re: My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by shugacaneman: 9:16am On May 26, 2015
I have also had such an experince in Enugu. We were heading towards Eneme to visit some1 in the hospital abt 7pm. The two tyres on the drivers side were affected and we had now option but to stop. When we came down from the car, a hilux pull over next to our us and out came from the passengers side a man with a riffle gun.

It was the police, they asked us what happened and we told thme how we lost 2 tyres and quickly the told us to to drive the car out of the vicinty immidately. It was a set up by armed rubbers. So we followed them to thier station and i met an angle of a DPO. He so handled us well that night that we almost opted not to go home again. Eventually we came for our car the next day with brand new tyres and the DPO made sure we left the station without giving any police man a kobo.

Whereever u r sir, Thank u so much.....i still remember.

1 Like

Re: My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by hardbody: 1:47pm On May 26, 2015
sureguy02:
I closed from work at 5pm. I decided to wait for a friend that has a car because i knew the commercial drivers would have hiked their fares as a result of the fuel scarcity. We finally left marina around 6. We decided to use carter bridge to avoid the traffic on Eko bridge.

On getting to Carter bridge, we suddenly heard a loud bang. Our tyre had burst. Infact, it had torn into shreds! shocked. Thank God we werent overspeeding. It would have been a fatal accident.

Immediately we stopped the car, some dangerous looking guys came out of no where. They started demanding for money and our phones grin ;

I knew we couldnt fight them because we were outnumbered. But my friend thought otherwise. He was dealt a very heavy blow on his jaw. They even said they would throw us into the lagoon if we didnt cooperate with them. That was when I realised we were in deep shit!!

I started begging them in Yoruba. They said we should just drop 20k and they would let us be. I told them we didnt have more than 1k on us. Their leader started threatening to throw our spare tyre into the lagoon. We pleaded, but they wouldnt listen. They later reduced the money to 5k. But I insisted that I had only 3K on me. Passersby were just staring at us. Some were even laughing grin grin. Na one man for himself for this Lagos o

They later accepted the 3k. One of them even helped us to change the wheel.

It is an experience I will live to remember for a long time.

Have you had a similar experience? Kindly share yours.

It is unfortunate. Next time, when this happens, on your own just invite them to change the tyres and give them like N2k.

It happened to me later part of last year. My tyre started showing signs of a blow out around Yaba and by the time i was linking 3MB, it gave way. I knew my driver had no experience on how to change the tyre of that particular vehicle (Pajero), and those guys just appeared. I calmly told them that we could not handle the change of tyre (i do not speak Yoruba) but will appreciate their help. Meanwhile i had placed a call to the MPF at Ikeja to send some men, in case the matter went awry. Interestingly these two guys finished changing the tyres, i dipped hands inside my pocket and gave them N2k, i also asked them to hang around so we can pack our C-Caution and spare tyre we used to indicate a breakdown as other hawks were milling around.

Or maybe the cost of changing tyres is higher around carter bridge than it is on third mainland bridge grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 26, 2015
hardbody:

It is unfortunate. Next time, when this happens, on your own just invite them to change the tyres and give them like N2k.

It happened to me later part of last year. My tyre started showing signs of a blow out around Yaba and by the time i was linking 3MB, it gave way. I knew my driver had no experience on how to change the tyre of that particular vehicle (Pajero), and those guys just appeared. I calmly told them that we could not handle the change of tyre (i do not speak Yoruba) but will appreciate their help. Meanwhile i had placed a call to the MPF at Ikeja to send some men, in case the matter went awry. Interestingly these two guys finished changing the tyres, i dipped hands inside my pocket and gave them N2k, i also asked them to hang around so we can pack our C-Caution and spare tyre we used to indicate a breakdown as other hawks were milling around.

Or maybe the cost of changing tyres is higher around carter bridge than it is on third mainland bridge grin grin grin

How I wish we had only 2 guys to contend with. They were 5!!! ..and some of their friends were watching from a distance
Re: My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 26, 2015
Thank God dy didn't touch u. Money is notin compared to ur life.
Re: My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by ZeezaRapture(m): 10:25pm On May 26, 2015
Unemployment is a big disease
Re: My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 26, 2015
Pele tiiii eee ooooooo
Re: My Experience On Carter Bridge Yesterday by ray48: 4:18pm On May 28, 2015
Sorryooo!!

(1) (Reply)

My Gt-bank Account Hijacked/debited By Hacker / N850m Was Paid Into Buhari Access Bank Account – Dasuki / Video: Man Jumps From 6th Floor In Apparent Suicide, Survives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.