Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,856 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Having Ones Immediate Uncle As God Parent During Child Baptism - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Having Ones Immediate Uncle As God Parent During Child Baptism (498 Views)

Imo Woman Dies During Child Birth Days Before Defence Of M.sc Thesis (photos) / My Uncle Slapped His Wife For Denying Him Sex Because Today Sunday!! / I Just Saw My Uncle's Wife In A Guest House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having Ones Immediate Uncle As God Parent During Child Baptism by Missionpo: 10:27am On May 26, 2015
Dear Nairalanders,

I have this Challenge which is almost causing issues in my home.

God blessed my household with a set of male twins and coincidentally I traveled out of the country for an official engagement before the time for their baptism as I am a catholic by faith.
Before my trip, i made arrangement for two of my friends & wifes to be their God parents believing that It will be done in May, Unfortunately we had another family engagement on the same date of the Baptism and we missed out of the May baptism, one of friends relocated to States last two weeks necessitating the need for a replacement which i asked my wife to look for.

Sometime last week, my wife told me that his elder brother pleaded that he wants to be one of their God Parent, initially i agreed after her persuasion but yesterday she told me that the church said that since they are twins they should have one God Parent and she choose her brother to be.

I asked her to cancel the whole arrangement until I am back to Naija in July as I view his brother as part of our immediate family and such opportunities should be used to open wider horizon for the kids and provide guardianship. Imagining what it will look like when their elder brother is associating with his God parent and also has an uncle, while my twins are stuck with their uncle who double as their God Parent.

I need your advise, am i being unnecessarily insensitive or I should allow my wife's elder brother to take the role.

Please I will appreciate opinion from married people who have made such decision before.
Re: Having Ones Immediate Uncle As God Parent During Child Baptism by integrity85(m): 11:14am On May 26, 2015
My brother, there is no big deal about it. Candidly I am one. The position helps me to be mindful of my role as the God parent and to have a closer/proper evaluation of my son's development and maturity.
Re: Having Ones Immediate Uncle As God Parent During Child Baptism by blank(f): 11:17am On May 26, 2015
Kini big deal?

I am a God parent and also an aunt.
Re: Having Ones Immediate Uncle As God Parent During Child Baptism by Beremx(f): 11:34am On May 26, 2015
Is your brother-in-law married? If he is,he can go ahead. Nothing wrong with it since you can't get someone else.

Some God-Parents tend to forget their roles after their God-Children grows up to a certain age. You can always hold your wife's brother accountable if he fails his duty as a God-Father.

At my age,my God-Parents still care for me.

grin grin
Re: Having Ones Immediate Uncle As God Parent During Child Baptism by Missionpo: 2:14pm On May 27, 2015
Thank you all for your feedback.

I have re-considered after your posts.
Little things like this can tear a home apart.

(1) (Reply)

Do U Let Ur Wife Know When U Collect Ur Salary / What's Your Excuse? / 10 Women Christian Men Should Never Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.