Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Tips For Overcoming Flight Fright - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tips For Overcoming Flight Fright (495 Views)

Overcoming Loneliness: I'm In New Zealand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips For Overcoming Flight Fright by Jovago: 3:30pm On May 26, 2015

Flying is very, very interesting and exciting. For many it is preferable to driving. However, one disadvantage of flying is the extreme impact of a crash. With its low survival chance, many potential flyers are discouraged from flying. The possibility of a crash according to findings by Jovago is 1 in 5,000. Africa’s Number 1 Hotel Booking Portal brings you some tips on how to surmount flight fright thereby ensuring that you enjoy the flight.

ARRIVE EARLY AT THE AIRPORT

If you are scared of flying, you would do well to arrive at the airport early. This will give you enough opportunity to observe the operations at the airport. How people are briskly leaving and boarding various airplanes with confidence. You can see that nothing actually happened to them. Observing others may probably serve as a confidence booster.

IDENTIFY THE CAUSE OF ANXIETY

Identifying the cause of your anxiety whenever you fly will go a long way in helping you to conquer flight anxiety. Ask yourself why you are anxious, most times it is the fear of turbulence, take-off, crashes and landing. This is peculiar to every flyer. However, there are other identifiable causes. So, ensure that you distract yourself when you are on board. Don’t allow your mind to focus too much on the negatives of flying.

EDUCATE YOURSELF

Flying a plane involves four steps namely Gravity, Drag, Lift and Thrust. Understanding these steps will help you to be more comfortable with flying when the plane is taking-off, landing as well as encountering mechanical problems. According the FlyFright, statistics reveal that 73% of fearful flyers are afraid of mechanical problems during flight. Hence, acquiring a bit of knowledge will also play its part.

PRETEND YOU ARE IN A BUS

Play pretend and let your imagination come to your aid as you embark on your flight! However, don’t bother sit close to the window as this would cloud your thoughts and the fright will rush-in like lightening.

CHOOSE THE RIGHT SEAT

Sitting at the back of a plane doesn’t help someone that is always overwhelmed by flying. So, ensure that you select a seat at the front or middle of the plane. But, if you are unable to secure any of these seats, never mind, you can sit at the back. You will not feel the effect of any turbulence because the plane seats are durable and rugged enough to protect you!

Have more helpful tips to overcome flight fright? Please share in the comment section.
Re: Tips For Overcoming Flight Fright by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 26, 2015
Some pray to fly aeroplane while some detest it.

Irony of life
Re: Tips For Overcoming Flight Fright by Originalsly: 4:56pm On May 26, 2015
Hmmm....plane crashing and terrorists aboard and plane disappearing and all such stuff don't even clock 1on my fear chart. What I fear is unknowingly having drugs in my luggage.....thanks to friends/relatives or airport baggage handlers.
Re: Tips For Overcoming Flight Fright by Mrval20(m): 6:57pm On May 26, 2015
My anxiety - fear of the aircraft being attacked by some extraterrestrial beings, also afraid of myself being kidnapped by these beings, taken to their planet and taught some sophisticated and advanced science/technology, then returned to earth.....In fact, this has always been my fantasy since I was a kid.

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Your Kind Advice / Toda Is The World Day Of Remembrance Of Road Traffic Accident Victims / Read Before You Embark On Your Journey This Yuletide Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.