Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,429 members, 7,954,675 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:54 AM

My Take On Top 10 Safest City / Capital In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Take On Top 10 Safest City / Capital In Nigeria (795 Views)

Top 10 Safest Cities To Visit In Nigeria / Top 10 Safest Countries In Africa / Top 10 Safest Countries In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Take On Top 10 Safest City / Capital In Nigeria by sanniabiola(m): 7:33pm On May 27, 2015
After I had read the Top 10 city posted from some website that made the front page, I decided to share my thought on the top 10 City in Nigeria based on my personal exploit of these Cities / Capitals so to say with focus on my past 2 years exploits. My business had taken me to almost every State of Nigeria and my conclusion is be sourced to my exploit.
1. ABAKALIKI: it is not big enough to call it a city though but it is fortunately the Capital of Ebonyi State. This state is so safe that you will be bored out of live while on visit. Ever wonder why the state Governor don't even pass the Night in his own state, he ensure He arrive Enugu before 10pm according to what I heard. Infact, I trekked from Pastoral Hostel to WDC as early as 9.30pm one of the night because Okada and keke that had closed their services at 7pm and 9pm respectively and Police have mount every junction of the road. That City is incredibly safest (lower crime activities) among all with no disturbing noise even during the day.
2. Akure: this town made my list because of its people mainly, they are summarily calm and loving. Akure is the Capital of Ondo state and you can't miss your way around town, the people are always ready to help. You can enter Akure town any time of the night and be sure to get a bike to drop you at an hotel. Inasmuch as the atmosphere is still the same as I experienced some months back, the serene environment make it attractive by a township standard and the fact that it's a mainly civil servant City makes the crime rate relatively lower. Although, no much fun in the town except the water fountain at Alagbaka area if it is still functioning, imagine the crowd around that area when they just commission the fountain.
3. Uyo: this City is a city of love as it has attracted many Tourist within the past 12 month, you will enjoy much love in this City if you are open minded. There a relative peace in the town as everyone goes about their business. You can always find another branch of your Bank at the next road so no need to stay in a queue. They also would buy your goods at your price as those people have joy in the spirit. There's some fun centres in the City now and you can always find your bearing from Plaza area to anywhere around the town. Try to spend a sunday in that town and you will feel the cool breeze. You hardly hear of crime in the city and you will love to snap a picture by one of those light and fountain at night. Uyo is very cool to visit.
4. Awka: is a relatively calm City too by my exploit, it is home to main players at the Onitsha International market Biz goons. It is more of a Residential Township by my assessment. Throughout my periods of visiting this city, it has always been cool. Spend night time in that city a couple of week ago and you will find it's attractive night view of the roads pleasing to behold. Never had bad stories about the town and I can conclude it's a safer city to live and visit.
5. Enugu: it is a safe City considering it's description as the South Eastern capital. Lovely estates and havens as well as good road network. Low crime rate inasmuch as you cut a limit to your night activities. Plenty of Clubs and clubbers as well and Keke are readily available to pick u during the day. You can as well book a Taxi cab for your night activities and you can get around town even at wee hours, just ensure you have an ID because police patrol can stop you in late hours. For a city of its description, it's safer.
6. Ibadan: I can assuredly tell you that Ibadan is safe enough to make top 10. If you must move around in the night time at ibadan, use Okada and make sure it's only you on the bike with the rider. The popular Iwo road is safer now than 3 years ago and you can get to main parts of the city even in the midnight if you know your way around. Plenty of night clubs and 24hours cinema house has made this city a hub of visit recently. If you don't want to be harass by robbers at night in your home, I think you may consider Ibadan city, the main part of the city.
7. Sokoto: this City definitely made my list because the city is relatively peaceful, I have had one visit to the city by road and I can confirm its a safe city, I attend a sunday service and the church was filled to the overflow to my surprise. Irrespective of the restiveness in the North, this city stands out to be a safe city among many city of the north Nigeria. Everyone goes about their business and if you can just say baa Hausa or akoi turanchi, you will find someone to show you round the town. I saw some foreign Nationals that are said to be living in the seat of the caliphate Capital. Little or Low crime story is heard around the city. Southerners abode in every part of sokoto and you will see roundabout at all intersection like kilode. Sokoto gets into my Top 10.
8. Abuja: when I say Abuja, I mean the main town. It's a peaceful city with police at every junction post. Always board a green paint Cab or any other company customized cab when you are within the town. Abuja people though minds their business but they are not harmful in any way. There's a lot of garden and park and you can get around at any time of the night inasmuch as you know where you are going to. It's relatively safe as classified.
9. Calabar: I am not sure if I had place Calabar rightly in this order but by my experience it's a safe city. I have been to this city over and over again and I can say it's fun, the people are hospitable, you can move around the town at any time of the night and day. There are many fun centres to visit and the hotel are readily available. It was once depicted as the cleanest city in Nigeria and I use to refer to it as the liveliest city to visit in Nigeria. The clubs are hot and the security is tight. So Calabar make my list of safe city because if it's not safe, it's not fun you know.
10. Ilorin: this City is a safe city to live and visit as well, in my experiences visiting this city, I have never had a regret. You can move around within the main town even at night hours and you will find okada to pick you to your destinations always. There's little fun in the city as well and the police are always at your tail in the night hours. As much as you know where you are going to in Ilorin, you have no problem at any time of the day. Many long distance travellers passing through Ilorin love to spend the night in the city to continue their journey in the daytime. It a safe haven as well.
Please be aware that I consider safe based on the situation on both night and day activities. I also consider the safety of fun lover at wee hours and safer movement at night times. I may have ignore some city because of stories of missing persons which may have raised tourist consciousness about some cities and the activities of hoodlums, Cultists and Robbers which may have characterize why I excuse some cities.
I also like to submit that some cities/towns which are a not state capital are safer than some of the cities listed by my experience but I only focus my article on the State Capital. Among them are Bonny Island, Gboko, Agbor, Oyo, Ilesha, Shagamu, Ondo, Bida, Obudu, Eket, Orlu, Doma, among so many I have visited. Please add your own too.
SOS diaries
cc Lalastica

(1) (Reply)

F1 Visa / Lagos Travel Bucket List / More Info On Canadian Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.