Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,275 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It (20480 Views)

Easy Ways To Remove Virus, Malware Or Worm From Computer / W32.downadup.b Worm Infection / How Do I Remove Brontok.a Worm From My System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by geebees: 11:17am On Sep 15, 2006
How do i get this worm I-Worm/Brontok.A out of my system. It has refused my windows to come on as it keeps rebooting.

Also is there a way i can l;og into the internet in safe mode.If possible. Setps pls.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Chxta(m): 1:10pm On Sep 15, 2006
Open your registry editor, find the signature (brontok) in your registry, and delete it without backing up. This should be done in safe mode.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Saddam: 2:36am On Sep 17, 2006
Omo that Brontok.A can only go if u can update ur norton antivirus withthe latest virusupdate/defination.

Or else

Wipe ur Harddisk and load a fresh OS
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by thimbook2(m): 8:59pm On Sep 25, 2006
get Avira Classic antivirus or better still mcafee 2007. after cleaning up, you'll need to create a new account that u will be using cos brontok.A would have damaged ur current account so much it won't work fine.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Romulus(m): 1:43pm On Oct 05, 2006
You're even lucky you got Brontok A and not Brontok C. Get an up-to-date version of A.V.G or AntiVir and in minutes, you'll be smiling back.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Ppenguin: 12:35pm On Oct 08, 2006
I have Brontok.C infection and it is proving stubborn to get rid of. I have latest AVG update. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the virus permanantely. Thanks
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Cactus(m): 1:56pm On Oct 08, 2006
Never ever reformat your computer just because you cannot remove something. until you have done all the possible options

get avg, virus and spyware do an online update, if the software tells you it has found something do not do anything close the window.

boot into safe mode F8 could be different on some system find out

run avg virus scan and spyware scan. and definitely make sure you do not have any other windows opened.

that should definitely take care of the problems. when scanning is done and u boot into windows and still having problems.

go back into safe mode and go through your registry to manually remove the entries that are causing problems. just be careful not to screw up your system.

that should restore your system definitely.

if that doesnt work well tough luck you can then start thinking about backing up vital info then reformatting LOL.

i have add several backdoor attacks on my systems

i am running, avg virus, avg spyware, norton, zone alarm, blackice

you can get those especially avg virus software and zone alarm, those are real good norton sucks.

but u just have to know how to configure them to work properly else they will be blocking some access to website. good luck
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Cactus(m): 1:57pm On Oct 08, 2006
if you are also using a wireless network just to make your network safer,

turn off ssid broadcast,

change the default ip address of the router

use a 128bit wep key open system not shared access key (with shared access key some can easily get on your network. open system is a lil difficult)

disabled autmatic dhcp and only configure for the number of systems u need.
use MAC address filtering

limit the ip addressing range to the number of computers instead of automatic. and on each computer manually configure the ip and gateway addresses not automatic.

if anyone is still paranoid about their computer security spyware virus trojans and still wants windows based applications then the next step will be to switch over to a linux distro and install WINE. Look up info on Linux WINE project that allows you to run windows based application on linux boxes, visual studio microsoft office etc.

those steps are basic for home security setup. though someone can still definitely get onto your network, and possible crack your wep key. it will only take a longer time and they will find it more difficult to do just hope you are not living near someone crazy enough and desperate. if you want to go hardcore, then u will need to setup up a hardware installation of firewalls virus systems and data encryptions crap

good luck
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by beamz(m): 5:05pm On Oct 12, 2006
Could somebody help me with AVG 2007, BRONTOK C virus is grilling my system to hell. HELP pls HELP. My e.mail adress is beamz2003@yahoo.com. God bless ya
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by aeroseeker: 12:59am On Oct 20, 2006
beamz:

Could somebody help me with AVG 2007, BRONTOK C virus is grilling my system to hell. HELP please HELP. My e.mail adress is beamz2003@yahoo.com. God bless ya

Hey beamz, try this virus/worm removal tool. Link. It did help me last time. I think it's capable of removing all brontok variant.

Or if you actually have the sample of an infected file, I suggest you run this tool. Link. This tool is capable to remove all brontok infected files in multiple paths in your system including running system process.

Hope it helps. smiley
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 27, 2006
If you understand the brontok worm, you'll understand that you CAN NOT open your registry editor while you have the brontok worm on your system

Brontok automatically reboots when it detects a window whose title contains "Registry" and many other strings. So even if you google "Registry" and it appears as the title of a window, it restarts. To see the full virus effects, go to symantec.com and in the search box just type "Brontok" then when the page loads click on the link that says something ",  Technical, " (I've forgotten it.)

I just cleaned Brontok A from my computer yesterday, and I tell you, God knows how many antivirus programs I tried. It's very stubborn. Go search for NOD32, it'll get you going.

Good luck
13-Year-Old Tayo
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Chxta(m): 10:40pm On Oct 27, 2006
Use Regseeker to edit the registry.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 28, 2006
nice one, chxta.
but where is this regseeker?
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Jalal(m): 8:39pm On Oct 28, 2006
Brontok, thats one slimy worm grin grin grin
Anyways i got rid of mine by using Ewido-antispyware, this super software also acts as a Trojan, adware/spyware/malware ass kicker cool cool cool cool
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by zPixel(m): 2:05am On Oct 31, 2006
Try using bitdefender, its an anti-virus although it consumes memory but it very good. Search google you'll find it.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by felidae: 8:56pm On Nov 03, 2006
My Laptop is also infected with Brontok.A

I have tried all the removal tools mentioned in this thread and also several others but I can't get rid fo this worm!

@ajiboyet: How did you succeed with NOD32? I have also downloaded it and it has detected some tracking cookies but that's all.     ,

@ Jalal: Also no success with Ewido-antispyware.

@ zPixel: the same with bitdefender,

All that these removal tools manage to do on my computer is to detect some infected files and delete them but the virus keeps coming back, I guess it reboots itself. So as long as not ALL files belonging to brontok.a (especially in the registry, ) are deleted, I think one can never really get rid of the worm. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that. Especially as my Laptop won't allow me to start in safe mode,

Can anyone give me some advice?

thank you
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Taysay(m): 11:38am On Nov 04, 2006
Yeah good day all,
good ta hia from u all though its quite sad Brontox is trying to kill your joy, though Brontok is very stubborn, it can be taken car eof effectivley by Kaspersky anti virus 6.0. at times it appears it is even multiplying when you are trying to get rid of it but the like I said never mind kaspersky will take kia of it. pls pls pls never never ever reformat ur system b'cos of this. if u dont know whia to get this kaspersky pls let me know your location, if you are inlagos then i know a firend Mimoh_mo who will be too willing to get u a copy on Cd u can reach him on 01 8972759 my own nos is 08055088001, 08036533888. thanx so get ready to laugh last . tak e kia have a good one
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 04, 2006
I found NOD32 very effective
It added a menu to outlook, and scans all my messages.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Gamine(f): 12:07pm On Nov 06, 2006
@Ajiboyet
            why the i'm 13 trumpet
            u give me the feelin that you are a
         lonely child who is geeky with no friends
            and you turn to computers for solace.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by aeroseeker: 4:53pm On Nov 09, 2006
Try CAV Antivirus is very effective against all brontok variant and many others unpopular viruses/worms. Download here. This software is cool and it's free.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by mekoyo(m): 3:59pm On Feb 11, 2007
Install Avast Anti Virus man.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by gidig(m): 7:10pm On Feb 14, 2007
I have a very terrible experience with that virus but I found avast to be very helpful.I am not too sure the version I had but it replicates folders in My document. Avast will prove to be useful.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by sammyjl(f): 2:25pm On Feb 22, 2007
shocked I also have that brontok on my laptop. Its a problem.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by marhoatumu(m): 3:36pm On Feb 22, 2007
instead of looking for this antivirus or that antivirus, just get a virus removal tool specifically designed for that virus or worm or whatever. they are not hard to find, just search the usual antivirus websites or use google. you should come up with one that will totally remove the problem and reverse its effects
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by anusule(m): 10:54pm On May 17, 2007
try to back-up your pc, format it next, re-install GENUINE XP OR VISTA. simple
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by terwizzy(m): 2:07pm On Jun 25, 2007
I have had several brontok attacks but right now i've been able to get rid of it permanently.

Currently I use Sophos Anti Virus. If you can get hold of it, then u can configure it from the configure menu to automatically delete every instance of brontok on ur system. that way you never have brontok. if u still cant lay your hands on sophos AVG also does a good job and u can get a free version off the internet.

Also make sure you are careful with flash drives. they are the chief carriers of the virus
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by mhysaint15: 11:37am On Aug 05, 2007
I can't get rid of brontok becaze i cant download anti virus because when ever i do download it reboots my PC what should i do, is thers anyway to get rid of it without reformating my PC? plz help me
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by macandpoy: 4:32am On Aug 13, 2007
is this instruction applicable for windows server 2003? if not, please send me guide to get rid of this brontok virus.
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by macandpoy: 11:31am On Aug 13, 2007
pls help, mine is windows server 2003, how to get rid of brontok.CI
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Ralvy(m): 4:45pm On Aug 13, 2007
yh! sure its applicable to users runnig Windows Server 2003, just follow the instructions.
Good Luck cheesy
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by Johnnoo(m): 8:18pm On Aug 13, 2007
use antivir classic edition. the repair ur operating system without cancelling ur window files.

goodluck
Re: I-worm/brontok.a Please Help Me Get Rid Of It by macandpoy: 3:53am On Aug 14, 2007
ok thanx, i'll try,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Windows Xp Professional Sp2 Cd Key Plssss! / Will A 5000VA Voltage Stabilizer Damage Smaller Appliances Like LED TV? / 8 Ways Technology Makes You silly.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.