Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy (3041 Views)

ENERGY/ELECTRICITY For Nigerians - Renewable Source of Energy / Things You Might Want To Know About Nuclear Weapons (Photos) / Nigeria In Rosatom Talks For Up To $80 Billion Nuclear Power (2) (3) (4)

Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by 1miccza: 11:34pm On May 30, 2015
WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON USING NUCLEAR POWER AS AN ALTERNATIVE SOURCE OF ELECTRICITY GENERATION . 1. Nuclear power is cost
competitive with other forms of electricity generation, except where there is direct access to low-cost fossil fuels.
2. Fuel costs for nuclear plants are a minor proportion of total generating costs, though capital costs are greater than those for coal-fired plants and much greater than those for gas-fired plants.
3. Providing incentives for long-term, high-capital investment in deregulated markets driven by short-term price signals presents a challenge in securing a diversified and reliable electricity supply system.
4. In assessing the economics of nuclear power, decommissioning and waste disposal costs are fully taken into account.
5. Nuclear power plant construction is typical of large infrastructure projects around the world, whose costs and delivery challenges tend to be under-estimated.
Cc:vimi,lekanbabz,all4naija,miquelon,persius555,onlinebizinfo
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Hishowlau(m): 11:42pm On May 30, 2015
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 11:45pm On May 30, 2015
See screenshot of past conversation on a thread...

Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by opeaceo: 11:49pm On May 30, 2015
Nigeria cannot successfully manage the waste from a nuclear plant, and I doubt if we have the raw materials needed to run the plant.
We just have to look for other sources but not nuclear.

Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by kenedy175(m): 11:59pm On May 30, 2015
We need to exploit our resources further. We need to have alternatives such as biogas, solar and others... imagine what we can do with all this solar energy wasting in the north
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by braine(m): 12:09am On May 31, 2015
We Nigerians are too irresponsible to go nuclear now. Maybe later.
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 12:19am On May 31, 2015
More screenshot

Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 12:21am On May 31, 2015
More

Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 1:14am On May 31, 2015
1miccza:
WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON USING NUCLEAR POWER AS AN ALTERNATIVE SOURCE OF ELECTRICITY GENERATION . 1. Nuclear power is cost
competitive with other forms of electricity generation, except where there is direct access to low-cost fossil fuels.
2. Fuel costs for nuclear plants are a minor proportion of total generating costs, though capital costs are greater than those for coal-fired plants and much greater than those for gas-fired plants.
3. Providing incentives for long-term, high-capital investment in deregulated markets driven by short-term price signals presents a challenge in securing a diversified and reliable electricity supply system.
4. In assessing the economics of nuclear power, decommissioning and waste disposal costs are fully taken into account.
5. Nuclear power plant construction is typical of large infrastructure projects around the world, whose costs and delivery challenges tend to be under-estimated.
Cc:vimi,lekanbabz,all4naija,miquelon,persius555,onlinebizinfo
Nice one. I need to collate more information to discuss on this matter properly. Going nuclear in Nigeria by Nigerians is not feasible. Let's not deceive ourselves we aren't up to the task. Excepting we are going to get them built and operated by foreigners. For example, Areva of France can be given the right to build, generate and service nuclear plant infrastructure in the country. During the time the distribution process can be managed by third party with good records.

I would need to write an article on why nuclear power is not feasible in Nigeria and what can be done to make it works here later.
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by persius555(m): 9:47am On May 31, 2015
all4naija:
I would need to write an article on why nuclear power is not feasible in Nigeria and what can be done to make it works here later.
The bolded makes me laugh.@all4naija, make up your mind.There sre two ways. It either works or it doesnt.
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by persius555(m): 10:07am On May 31, 2015
Nature favors nigeria. No scientific record of geo siemic activity till date in nigeria (correct if wrong), greatest threat would be the human factor, management per say. As for patner country, south africa and france is our best bet (would have loved to have UK fronting for us).PMB's new found love with the UK could work well in this regard. As for prospective site location, politically stable states would be good candidates. Ogun state, Benue state and maybe kogi state comes to mind as they have access to abundant water supply. I will do some more research too. Also waiting for others to contribute and educate us.
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by opeaceo: 11:54am On May 31, 2015
persius555:
Nature favors nigeria. No scientific record of geo siemic activity till date in nigeria (correct if wrong), greatest threat would be the human factor, management per say. As for patner country, south africa and france is our best bet (would have loved to have UK fronting for us).PMB's new found love with the UK could work well in this regard. As for prospective site location, politically stable states would be good candidates. Ogun state, Benue state and maybe kogi state comes to mind as they have access to abundant water supply. I will do some more research too. Also waiting for others to contribute and educate us.
Yeah, nature favours Nigeria on nuclear energy, but when it is built, you won't leave it in the hands for Nigerians to manage, rather expatriates.
Most developed countries are having problems on how to successfully dispose off their nuclear wastes.
Most European countries are looking for other sources of power generation.
Nigeria shouldn't toll this path, other sources of power generation can be harnessed but not Nuclear.
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by hahn(m): 12:33pm On May 31, 2015
opeaceo:

Yeah, nature favours Nigeria on nuclear energy, but when it is built, you won't leave it in the hands for Nigerians to manage, rather expatriates.
Most developed countries are having problems on how to successfully dispose off their nuclear wastes.
Most European countries are looking for other sources of power generation.
Nigeria shouldn't toll this path, other sources of power generation can be harnessed but not Nuclear.

Nigeria should focus on creating 24hours power supply for at least 10years before talking about nuclear energy. The fact that there are other countries have started doesn't mean Nigeria is ready for such. We still have non functional health, electricity sectors, bad roads, biased judicial system, security clowns(police), indiciplined army officers, a retrogressive educational system, lack of nationalism amongst other things to deal with

We have not even ventured into harnessing solar and wind energy or even maintaining our dam. Nuclear "anything" should be the last thing on our minds
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 12:48pm On May 31, 2015
all4naija:
Nice one. I need to collate more information to discuss on this matter properly. Going nuclear in Nigeria by Nigerians is not feasible. Let's not deceive ourselves we aren't up to the task. Excepting we are going to get them built and operated by foreigners. For example, Areva of France can be given the right to build, generate and service nuclear plant infrastructure in the country. During the time the distribution process can be managed by third party with good records.

Uu just nailed iit sire as regards management. Nuclear plant will not be located close to ikeja mall, Lagos or wuse market abuja, iits not a tourist center uu know. Underwater or somewhere far away.

Electricity was generated by a nuclear reactor for the first time ever on September 3, 1948 at the X-10 Graphite Reactor in Oak Ridge, Tennessee in the United States, and was the first nuclear power plant to power a light bulb. there should be a pilot phase, am not suggesting an immediate shift to nuclear undecided

Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by opeaceo: 12:52pm On May 31, 2015
hahn:

Nigeria should focus on creating 24hours power supply for at least 10years before talking about nuclear energy. The fact that there are other countries have started doesn't mean Nigeria is ready for such. We still have non functional health, electricity sectors, bad roads, biased judicial system, security clowns(police), indiciplined army officers, a retrogressive educational system, lack of nationalism amongst other things to deal with

We have not even ventured into harnessing solar and wind energy or even maintaining our dam. Nuclear "anything" should be the last thing on our minds

I agree with you totally, I don't want Nigeria to venture into Nuclear energy at all, its a no go area for me and How are you?
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by hahn(m): 12:54pm On May 31, 2015
opeaceo:

I agree with you totally, I don't want Nigeria to venture into Nuclear energy at all, its a no go area for me and How are you?

I'm doing great. How's your weekend going?
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by opeaceo: 12:57pm On May 31, 2015
hahn:

I'm doing great. How's your weekend going?
Its going on well, Thanks.
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by hahn(m): 12:59pm On May 31, 2015
opeaceo:

Its going on well, Thanks.

Good to know
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 31, 2015
persius555:
T It either works or it doesnt.

Sir, what do we have to loose, as a kid growing up ma parents always compared me with other folks iin the hood, twas a very challenging moment for mee buh guess wat? ii took up the challenge n worked towards perfection. Which country can be called awa mate iin the world today? Can Nigeria look to some countries iin the eye today? What comes to mind wen oda countries hear the name Nigeria?

There iis this saying...

“It’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen.” - Scott Belsky, co-founder of Behance.
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 31, 2015
opeaceo:

Why was computer invention not limited to just abacus? Why did babage n co. Continue work? Thank God they didn't throw all that knowledge away uu know.. me n uu wud av no computer to simplify our daily work. They took the risk! I love this quote...

“If you’re not a risk taker, you should get the hell out of business.” - Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald’s.

The Internet. Do uu know iit has numerous disadvantage? Why do we still use iit? Mayb the advantage > disadvantage, nuclear energy iis the lasting solution to power iin Nigeria take iit or leave iit
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by opeaceo: 1:20pm On May 31, 2015
vimi:

Why was computer invention not limited to just abacus? Why did babage n co. Continue work? Thank God they didn't throw all that knowledge away uu know.. me n uu wud av no computer to simplify our daily work. They took the risk!

The Internet. Do uu know iit has numerous disadvantage? Why do we still use iit? Mayb the advantage > disadvantage, nuclear energy iis the lasting solution to power iin Nigeria take iit or leave iit

internet use and nuclear energy are miles apart, Nigeria cannot handle the hazards associated with nuclear energy. The oil spillage in the Niger Delta is enough for us, we are still battling with terrorism and nuclear power again?
Most developed countries are looking for ways to do away with nuclear energy and we want to invest in it?

Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 31, 2015
opeaceo:

internet use and nuclear energy are miles apart, Nigeria cannot handle the hazards associated with nuclear energy. The oil spillage in the Niger Delta is enough for us, we are still battling with terrorism and nuclear power again?
Most developed countries are looking for ways to do away with nuclear energy and we want to invest in it?

ii hope uu know bout recent hacks going online n that ISIL do em recruitment online now? Oil spillage iis simply as a result of mismanagement on the part of FG, the nuclear power thin shud be privatized for optimal performance. Lastly Nuclear war heads iis wat nations want to get rid of not nuclear energy, iif uu got link bout countries wanting to discard iits own pls post iit.
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by opeaceo: 1:50pm On May 31, 2015
vimi:

ii hope uu know bout recent hacks going online n that ISIL do em recruitment online now? Oil spillage iis simply as a result of mismanagement on the part of FG, the nuclear power thin shud be privatized for optimal performance. Lastly Nuclear war heads iis wat nations want to get rid of not nuclear energy, iif uu got link bout countries wanting to discard iits own pls post iit.

Since the Chernoybl incident in 1986, no "developed" country has built a nuclear reactor, as a matter if fact, they are looking for new energy source.

www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/nuclear-power-germany-renewable-energy
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by miquelon(m): 2:01pm On May 31, 2015
Nuclear power is not something that should be taken lightly. Nigeria does not have the Infrastructure in place (radioactive waste disposal, storage, fail-safes) or the technical knowledge.
It's possible if there is an actual effort towards nuclear energy, experts training, getting Cos like EDF who have nuclear plants to take the lead.

On another note nuclear power is very costly environmentally and economically. Especially when most are moving towards clean renewable energy.
Do the pros outweigh the cons
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 31, 2015
opeaceo:

Since the Chernoybl incident in 1986, no "developed" country has built a nuclear reactor, as a matter if fact, they are looking for new energy source.

www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/nuclear-power-germany-renewable-energy

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushehr_Nuclear_Power_Plant that's one of the lates get ur facts right ma'am.
A quick one, do uu kip glass plate n aluminum iin one plate rack/basket? Nuclear iis known to all as very destructive n will be equally maintained iin same vein.
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by opeaceo: 2:15pm On May 31, 2015
vimi:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushehr_Nuclear_Power_Plant that's one of the lates get ur facts right ma'am.
Sir, I wrote "developed" and not "developing". Kapish?
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 31, 2015
opeaceo:

Sir, I wrote "developed" and not "developing". Kapish?
Iran might be still developing buh a big wig as regards nuclear energy uu knw.
Why should they even get more? When what they have iis just enough for em?
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by opeaceo: 2:25pm On May 31, 2015
vimi:
Iran might be still developing buh a big wig as regards nuclear energy uu knw.
Why should they even get more? When what they have iis just enough for em?

Now, my earlier statement stands, why do developed nations sell that idea to us when they are abandoning it?
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 31, 2015
opeaceo:

Now, my earlier statement stands, why do developed nations sell that idea to us when they are abandoning it?

As at 2011 there are still plans to build more, see link below...
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-01/21/deep-sea-fission
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by opeaceo: 7:43pm On May 31, 2015
vimi:

As at 2011 there are still plans to build more, see link below... http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-01/21/deep-sea-fission
And has it been built??
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 31, 2015
opeaceo:

And has it been built??
*breathes in n out deeply* thinking of Hw to convince yee undecided
Re: Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy by 1miccza: 7:50pm On May 31, 2015
opeaceo:
Nigeria cannot successfully manage the waste from a nuclear plant, and I doubt if we have the raw materials needed to run the plant.
We just have to look for other sources but not nuclear.

I am a strong believer in the fact that everything is possible,where there's a will there's a way

5 Real Cosmic Events That Could Wipe Us Out Right Now / Mtn Wap/gprs Configuration Settings / Mtn Latest Cheat With Tunnel Guru 250 - 300 Kbps

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61