Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,176 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Betrayal: Dr. Odili Opens Up On His Regime, Amaechi-omehia Feud, Etc - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Betrayal: Dr. Odili Opens Up On His Regime, Amaechi-omehia Feud, Etc (2313 Views)

Justice Mary Odili Must Bow Out.she Epitomizes Corruption In Everything She Does / Former Peter Odili's Aide Dies In Fire Inside His Room (Very Graphic Photo) / BREAKING NEWS: Accident Along Odili Road In Trans Amadi, Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Betrayal: Dr. Odili Opens Up On His Regime, Amaechi-omehia Feud, Etc by captainBIAFRA(m): 6:35pm On Jun 01, 2015
Dr. Peter Odili, the Executive Governor of Rivers State (1999 – 2007) could safely be described as an extra ordinary specie of the human spirit. At a very stage of his life he has left a landmark, starting from his school days when he graduated as a first class medical doctor in the 1970s until he emerged on the political firmament of Nigeria, culminating in his election as Deputy Governor in the second republic and later executive Governor for two terms in Rivers State respectively.

While in office he so distinguished himself, demystifying the office of the Governor through his open door policy and ever ready to attend to any person that needed His Excellency's attention.

This rare attitude earned him unequaled accolades from friends and detractors alike, most of which turned out to be more hypocritical than real.

Out of office, Odili created more news by his silence over a number of State and national issues including orchestrated persecution of his character.

Once more, Sir Dr Peter Odili has made greater history by living to write his own history, this defying the age long notions that men who make history have not time to write it and that the main thing is to make history, not to write it.

Dr. Peter Odili has therefore in this shocking and revealing epistle titled “Conscience and History”, narrated all that transpired while his regime lasted and the intrigues that have stood Rivers State out in the history of Nigerian politic the choice of Governor Chibuike Amaechi as PDP Governorship candidate in 2006, his nullification, the OBJ and EFCC connection, the last minute selection of Celestine Omehia, the 2007 election, the controversial Supreme Court judgement and the initial policy of vendetta by Chibuike Amaechi, Justice Kayode Eso Truth and Reconciliation Panel, His (Odili) indictment, self defense and eventual victory over forces of darkness and the great betrayal etc.

This is a must read for all and intends to correct misconceptions and outright lies sold as basic 'truths' in the past years.

By 2001, barely 2 years into my first tenure as Governor of Rivers State the subterranean scheming for who will succeed me started among the young political team I had built since 1994/5.

One of our elder Statesmen (now late) one day said to me 'Your Excellency, you have made the Governance of Rivers State look so easy and sweet that some of these your young men think it's a 'piece of cake' and are already positioning to succeed you. They have no idea how tough it is to govern Rivers people. It is when you leave office that people will know" - (Chief A.K. Dikibo)

I finished my first term and won the election for my second term 2003-2007 most comfortably with minimal opposition. However with the approach of 2007 elections the subterranean schemes gradually came to the fore among the young men who were aspiring to succeed me. In the firm belief that power comes from God I decided to maintain a taciturn disposition about my preference.

As time passed, the race narrowed down and front-runners began to emerge and pressure for direction from me started being mounted by the party leadership and caucus.

I sustained my resistance to be dragged into the dog-fight for the primaries. After a protracted 'ping-pong' between me and the caucus I decided to conduct an intelligence search, deploying the necessary tools available officially and undercover. My search narrowed down to Rotimi Amaechi, Austin Opara and Abiye Sekibo for various reasons. I presented these to the caucus of the party who still insisted that I name one person. I still held my taciturn grounds.

My intelligence further revealed that while I was being goaded to name one of them as my preferred choice, behind the scene plots by some of the members of the caucus, to skew the primaries in favour of their own choice, with the connivance of some family members and Abuja Big Wigs were going on. The plot was deep and had gone far before I picked it up very close to the primaries. 1 felt 'Betrayed' and 'Set up' for ridicule. 1 therefore decided to intervene and ensure that a transparent process that would produce a popular winner democratically, was put in place. That is how Rotimi Amaechi emerged as the flag bearer of the party for the Governorship election in Rivers State.

This appeared not to have gone down well in Abuja, for a yet to be disclosed reason. Again suddenly, the EFCC came after Amaechi with all sorts of allegations, arrested him and had his travel documents seized. Rotimi Amaechi was incarcerated between the 12th -15th December, 2006 same period the spurious investigation and 'interim report' by the EFCC was being cooked up against me. He too, like my commissioners, was released as soon as I announced my withdrawal from the Presidential primaries on the 15th December, 2006 but his travel papers were still being held by the EFCC. We agreed and I supported him to challenge his disqualification and indictment legally. After the-Convention we all went back to Port Harcourt but the battle to get him off the PDP ticket raged on till late February, 2007. I made several trips to Abuja to secure the sustenance of Amaechi's ticket as the Governorship candidate of the PDP in Rivers State. The National leadership and the Presidency were clearly bent on not allowing the Amaechi ticket to stand. I fought back as much as 1 could. EFCC was unyielding in their resolve not to allow Amaechi as the candidate for Rivers. I was asked to nominate somebody else severally, and severally I refused to do so. At a very strange meeting at the Villa one night I was pointedly asked how come I had only one choice for my succession after 8 years in office. The last straw was the threat by Nuhu Ribadu to resign his position as EFCC Chair and apologise to Nigerians if Amaechi was allowed to be the candidate.

The shock of it all was President Obasanjo telling me that he did not want to be blackmailed so I should effect a change. I refused, and went back to Port Harcourt that night fully convinced that one had to take ones destiny in one's hands – Abuja was clearly not in a position to morally stand by us. Then started our legal battle for our State matter against the EFCC consideration of our defence options - "Self protection" is the key to survival.

My struggle to sustain Amaechi's ticket in spite of the obvious vehemence by Abuja leadership against it, continued.

Then came the zonal rallies for the Presidential campaign in Port Harcourt for the South/South. At this event the flag bearer for the various States in the zone were to be recognised by President and national leadership of the Party.

The flagbearers for Cross River, Delta, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Edo States were acknowledged and given their FLAGS. Rivers was said to have "K-Leg" and would be sorted out later.

The night preceeding the rally gave birth to this ugly development when the national leadership was directed to ask me or rather instruct me to name a replacement for Amaechi or have one named for me the next day. It became obvious that I had lost the battle to save Amaechi's candidacy. I immediately sent for Amaechi and broke the sad news to him before anyone else could hear it. The need to constructively face the reality had arisen. We toyed with the idea of optional replacement for him. We eventually settled for CELESTINE OMEHIA - his cousin albeit reluctantly for reasons of peer- group and family rivalry. I felt that the State interest should over ride other considerations. Amaechi's reluctance was however not in doubt. Armed with this acquiescence I started consulting widely. By the morning of the Zonal rally I had not consulted sufficiently, so could not present Omehia to the National leadership. It was indeed at the rally grounds that I introduced Omehia to the party leaders without him Omehia realising why I was doing so since I had not let him into the development. The rally ended without a candidate for Rivers. After 2 days of wide consultations the State enlarged Caucus approved the Candidature of Omehia as a replacement for Amaechi. Amaechi was part of the decision at least outwardly. A delegation flew to Abuja with me to convey the decision to the Party and the Presidency. Amaechi was part of this delegation and was roundly commended by the then Chairman of the BOT Chief Tony Anenih for being part of the delegation that came to present Omehia as his replacement. He quietly avoided being part of the delegation to the party Chairman and the President.

On returning from Abuja, Amaechi requested to take some time off and travel to recover from the tension of the past days and events. He looked visibly shaken and distressed, understandably so. I agreed and arranged his passage to Ghana within a few days.

In the course of his absence in Ghana my attention was drawn to the fact that Amaechi's lawyer in pursuing the case he instituted against the EFCC, brought in the matter of his disqualification by PDP and replacement with Omehia. I felt that was not right in the light of the consensual decision in Amaechi's presence for Omehia's candidacy. I spoke to Amaechi's lawyer Dappa Ado Esq. along this line and he explained to me that that was his brief from his client and that he can only alter the brief on the instruction of his client. I respected his position on the matter but advised him to convey my view to his client that what I thought was appropriate at that point was the nullification of Amaechi's supposed indictment by EFCC and not Omehia's candidacy. Amaechi's lawyer never got back to me on the matter and he continued his case.

From that moment on, Amaechi broke contact. I made efforts to reach him without success and asked all those I knew were in touch with him to reach him, such as Sen. Magnus Abe, who was then my Commissioner for Information, Chief G.U Ake, all to no avail. Trust had been threatened. The subsequent events confirmed the breach. The stage for the parting of ways was set. Amaechi continued his court case while Omehia pursued his campaign as the party's candidate with robust opposition from Amaechi's supporters. There was clear and palpable hostility from both parties and this resulted to the subdued polarisation of the party supporters on the 2 divides, with each side trading accusations on each other. There was now mutual distrust.

On victory at the polls and formation of Government, Omehia carried on with the exclusion of Amaechi's supporters, against my advice, who in turn continued their support for Amaechi's court case.

On the 25th October, 2007 the Supreme Court ordered the immediate Swearing-in of Rotimi Amaechi as Governor. Amaechi assumed office as Governor with the venom of a bitter man on a vengeance mission against all perceived, real and imagined opponents, including me- classic 'misplaced aggression'. My support gave Amaechi the ticket. I did all in my power to sustain his candidature in the face of grave opposition from Abuja. He was party to the choice of Omehia as his replacement. My party loyalty and support ensured PDP victory at the election.

I ensured that we worked hard for PDP to win the Governorship election in Rivers State. If my support had gone elsewhere, PDP would not have won in Rivers State and if PDP did not win in Rivers, Supreme Court could not have ordered Amaechi to be sworn-in as Governor. These are all immutable facts. These-are critical factors that nothing else could therefore have changed and nothing else could be justifiable reason for the hostility unleashed against Dr. Peter Odili on the advent of Governor Amaechi's Administration.

The axioms "Obedience is better than sacrifice" and "Lex Talionis" were both thrown overboard. Odili became the main victim of his generosity in an unprecedented manner in the annals of Rivers/Nigerian politics. All that could be done to denigrate my achievements in office was done. All known detractors of ODILI were brought on board.

The climax was the setting up of the so-called Kayode Eso 'Truth and Reconciliation Commission', clearly conceived, designed and programmed to permanently indict and incarcerate Dr Odili. I was put on public trial with a live coverage paid for by Rivers State Government. Inspite of obvious bias, prejudice, malice and predetermined objective to indict, I acquitted myself creditably. Even though I was supposed to be a witness, I turned out to be on trial. The panel still went ahead to indict me. I fought back and challenged the report in court. Because of the hostility of the State Government, no judge wanted to touch the case and it took four (4) court transfers before the case was heard. I finally obtained victory in Justice Ahiakwo's court- throwing out and nullifying the report of the Kayode Eso so-called Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Attached is my presentation at the hearing and the full Court judgment on the report.

Setting The Records Straight

My Lord and Chairman of the Commission and members

Let me thank you immensely for accepting to create this opportunity for me to respond to the litany of vile and unfounded, baseless and devilishly false allegations that have been sponsored against the government that I headed by the Grace of God, from 1999 to 2007, and against my person and character.

My Lord, I have chosen to come and respond because of my personal respect for you and members of your Commission and also because, as the saying goes, "evil triumphs when good men keep quiet".

I have watched with amazement, disdain and pity, the melodrama that has emerged from the public hearings since 2nd June 2008. It is absolutely clear, my Lord, that this Commission was set up for only one reason "to attempt to smear the image and hard-earned good name and reputation of Dr Peter Odili, discredit his Government and the good works he did as Governor”.

Clearly, no truth and reconciliation was intended by those who conceived the idea of this Commission, and given the trend so far. I dare say that no reconciliation can be achieved.

It is regrettable that Your Lordship has been persuaded to head this Commission.

Before I go any further, let me make the following declarations:

That I have never been a member of any secret society or cult group in all my life.

That I will never belong to any secret society or cult group

That I have never sponsored or encouraged any one belong to any cult group

That I have never sponsored or encouraged any cult group.

That I have never encouraged or sponsored violence in any form against any human being or community all my life

That I have never owned a thug or group of thugs

That I have never conspired with anyone or with any group of people to do harm to anyone or any community.

That I have never and will never be part of any plot or conspiracy to take human life, because I know and fear God.

That I challenge ANYONE who disputes any of the above statements to come publicly forward with incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, not I "think”, or I "believe" or I "hear".

At no time between 1999 and 2007 did Governor Amaechi advise me against the use of cult group for elections, because there was no need for such advice.

I further declare that if any of these statements is untrue, I invite God to visit me with clear and appropriate punishment.

My Lord, having stated the above, permit me to give some background information about me and my political life.

I am 59 years old and I am a Medical Doctor. I have been a Roman Catholic Knight of the Pope since 1993.1 have been happily married to Justice Mary Odili for the years and our marriage has been blessed with four lovely children and two grandchildren and two wonderful sons-in-law. I started my Private Practice in 1980 in a rented premises, and by December 1982 moved into my own permanent structure. By the special Grace of God, I ran a most successful private medical practice in Port Harcourt and Rivers State between 1985 and 1990 and earned my first million naira by 1985.1 have lived an honest and contented life, guided by the fear of God, love and kindness to my neighbor.

I come from NDONI, one of the 19 ethnic nationalities in Rivers State.

My Lord, my concept of political and public office was founded on service and true democratic principles of team work and respect for local sensibilities. This informed my setting up the "Restoration Team" and the Apex Team which included 16 people representing some of the various ethnic groups. This group included the present Governor, the immediate past governor, the current state chairman of the PDP, the immediate past chairman of the PDP, to name a few of them.

Members of the group took charge and responsibility for the organization and mobilization of their areas. My role was to coordinate and support them to ensure our success. I rarely experience crisis or serious complaints.

This was the structure that we used in 1998/1999 to win the Governorship election in a most keenly contested race with an opponent who was the immediate past SSG. I had no thug and needed none and we won.

I assumed office on 29th May 1999 and met a state that was polarized along ethnic lines, with internecine, and inter communal crises almost everywhere. Some examples include:

Okrika Eleme crises

Ogoni Andoni crises

Ogoni Internal crises

Okrika Internal crises

Tombia Internal crises

Emohua internal crises

I met a state that was embroiled with insecurity of life and property. We confronted these security challenges as well as other developmental challenges.

I deployed the strategy of the rule of law and support for the security agencies to deal with the communal crises and insecurity. The results were phenomenal. We dealt with Infrastructural development, human resources development and empowerment of our youths and women.

We initiated novel Health programmes that enhanced the health status and the quality of life of our people. We brought maternal mortality rate in Rivers State down to half National Average.

We introduced free education at primary, junior and senior secondary levels and scholarships at tertiary levels. By April 2007, over 450 Rivers children were sent on scholarship abroad.

We supported the Spiritual wellbeing of our people by supporting the churches, mosques and faith based organizations. I dare say we had the highest number of state sponsored pilgrims of both Christians and Moslems in Nigeria.

By 2002, our state was declared the best state in good governance and performance by a Federal Government sponsored Nigeria Union of Journalists evaluation of all states in the Federation. I was given the award of the Golden Governor of the Federation. The trophy was presented to me at a public ceremony in Abuja by the then Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar.

Our state Power programme remains to date the best effort by any Government between 1999 and 2007. Never before have Rivers men and women especially the poor in rural communities been as touched, empowered and assisted as was witnessed between 1999 and 2007. We created a new middle class of car owners, landlords and private entrepreneurs.

1 Like

Re: Betrayal: Dr. Odili Opens Up On His Regime, Amaechi-omehia Feud, Etc by captainBIAFRA(m): 6:37pm On Jun 01, 2015
GENEROSITY/GRATITUDE

Generosity my Lord is a virtue and gift from God and I am proud and grateful to God for that gift. Not many have it and certainly not many in authority have it. I created legitimate instrument of government to enable me assist as many of our people and Nigerians as possible. I ensured that donations, grants and aids to individuals, churches, mosques, NGOs & Corporate agencies were provided for in appropriation laws every Fiscal year. 1 am happy and satisfied with what we achieved through this novel approach to governance and charity. 1 was criticized and called names, DONATUS for example. I accept the appellation proudly. 1 did maximum good to all who sought our help at their most needful moments. We saved lives and we touched families. My Lord, no stratum of society was excluded from the list of beneficiaries, but generosity you know does not come easily and not many have it.

If you are not generous, no matter what you have or own, you will not give out. Giving is from the heart and not the size of your pocket. The other point to note is that you cannot be generous and GREEDY at the same time. But the greedy imagine that the generous has accumulated so much and that is why he gives. NO! But then people judge others from their own standards. If you can steal, you imagine that others too can steal.

My Lord, we allowed the opposition freedom to criticize our government and never suppressed or used the instrument of government to coerce our opponents. We had no need to because our success in government had made us so popular that what was opposition by 1999 had literally collapsed and melted away. By the 2003 elections, my opponent in 1999 had become one of my foremost supporters and campaigner. So it was absolutely unnecessary for me as a popular Governor going for a re-election with a track record of achievements to arm our youths to help me win election in 2003.1 did not need to in 1999, and could not have needed it in 2003. The truth is that there was no credible opposition in Rivers State by 2003 election.

We naturally won the 2003 elections most effortlessly to the best of my knowledge. A detailed analysis of the results will show clearly that the parts of the state prone to cult or militant activities were not critical for our electoral victory and so the need for the support of cult or militant groups did not exist.

The 2004 Violence

I had taken off on a well deserved vacation out of the State- the first with my family after 4 (four) years in office. Two days after arriving Johannesburg, I got a call from Port Harcourt that there was a cult attack in the city, by cultists who came in a number of boats and confronted the police at Marine Base, chasing residents and innocent citizens on their way to church on a Sunday morning. I immediately suspended my vacation and raced back to Port Harcourt.

After some days, the situation was brought back under control in Port Harcourt but isolated skirmishes continued in the outskirts in the creeks. We commended the police and military for their efforts.

Late afternoon on the 1st of October 2004, 1 got a call from the Presidency to come urgently. When 1 got to the Villa, I met a group of young men apparently from my State, who had been brought to the Villa for the purpose of making peace and stopping the violence in the State. They were said to be representing ATEKE & ASARI's groups and both men (Asari and Ateke) were also present. That was my first time of sitting with Ateke in my life. That meeting led to the limited amnesty by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the setting up of two Committees, one for Social Welfare and another for Arms Recovery. I was privileged to chair the arms Recovery Committee, which included an Army General, an Air Vice Marshal, a Rear Admiral, a Police Commissioner, a Director from the SSS, Asari and Ateke.

The military and security personnel negotiated the price of the various types of weapons. Through this process, we recovered and paid for about 3400 guns of various types, and publicly destroyed them in broad daylight in Nigeria Army Bori Camp, Port Harcourt, in the presence of local and International Press and the Ministry of Defence.

There were complaints about political marginalization from some local government areas. Based on these complaints, I dissolved the State Executive Council and reconstituted. After signing the anti-cult bill into law, I prevailed on the Chief Judge to designate a court for speedy trial of the cult cases and he did. Over 100 cases were being prosecuted before the jail break of 2005. We declared the runaway "prisoners'' WANTED and they remained wanted till we left office. Law enforcement is not the duty of the Governor. I allowed the law to take its course.

I gave maximum support for the Law Enforcement agencies throughout my tenure. I.e the Police, Navy, Army, Airforce, SSS, Prisons, Immigration, NDLEA without exception. No State government did more for any of the services than Rivers State, under my Leadership. Is it not curious that the State would do all these and turn around to support violence and arm youths?

At no time did I attempt to use security officers for any illegal and unofficial purposes. Let us remember that the Governor has no commanding authority over these personnel. Why then should any Law Enforcement failures be attributed to Peter Odili?

The Devilish Allegations

1. The emergence of armed conflicts in Rivers State over the years predates 1999. They were essentially associated with chieftaincy and territorial issues. With the rise in oil relevance to national economic dimensions, the relationship of oil companies with the communities around fields/pipelines and the lucrative business of illegal bunkering all came together to create the situation that we are facing today. The major flash points were usually oil bearing communities e.g. Okirika, Ogu-Bolu, Kalabari Land (Cawthorne Channel), Ogbakiri, Abua Odual etc. All these communities have access to waterways.

I have neither been in bunkering business nor do I have interest in community or chieftaincy problems anywhere. I therefore had no need to raise or support any armed group. I challenge anyone who thinks I armed anyone or supported any armed group to step forward publicly with his evidence.

2. Chief Marshal Harry: From 1998 when we first met, we enjoyed a very cordial and friendly relationship. When 1 got elected in 1999, he was the State Chairman of the Party and we related very well. We disagreed over the issue of Government Party relationship and Patronage. I still supported him to become our National Vice Chairman. Our relationship got strained and he eventually left the party. We however got reconciled through the intervention of two of our revered Royal Fathers, and we resumed our cordial relationship quietly since he was by then the National Vice Chairman of another political party. The last contact I had with him was before he traveled abroad. I was rudely shocked to hear of his brutal death one early morning (05/03/2003). I had no idea that he was back to Nigeria. I deny, in the name of God, that 1 had anything whatsoever, to do with Marshal Harrys Death. The trial of the suspects for his murder is going on in Abuja.

3. Chief A. K. Dikibo: Chief A. K. Dikibo was a very close family friend and we had enjoyed a political relationship since 1996 when we were both in the then DPN (Democratic Party of Nigeria). I showed him great appreciation and on the exit of Marshal Harry from the PDP, 1 supported him to become the National Vice Chairman (South South) of the party. As a result of that appointment, he spent most of his time in Abuja. We had no personal quarrels or disagreements whatsoever. I was devastated to hear via a phone call from his nephew (Soe Dikibo), who was then a commissioner in the State Executive Council, at about 10-11 p.m, on a Friday night, that Chief A.K. Dikibo had been killed on his way to Asaba. Soe Dikibo’s call came from Yenogoa where he said he was attending a wedding. 1 was in Port Harcourt. We sent off a team to Asaba immediately Soe got back to Port Harcourt. I deny in the name of God, any knowledge or role whatsoever in the death of .Chief A. K. Dikibo.

As a result of his high profile, a Federal Government Investigation Panel was set up following his death. I understand that the trial of his accused suspects is on-going, My prayer is .that God will expose and bring to judgment the killers of these great sons of Rivers State. Our prayers and support will continue to go to their families.
Re: Betrayal: Dr. Odili Opens Up On His Regime, Amaechi-omehia Feud, Etc by captainBIAFRA(m): 6:38pm On Jun 01, 2015
What did Odili do with all the MONEY?

The total receipts from 1999 to 2007 were N7083 billion (not N1.3 Trillion claimed by detractors).

We approved and paid the controversial N3500 minimum wage on assumption of office and when N7500 was proposed, we were the first State to pay.

Our judicial staff were about the best paid in the Federation and they were independent.

Our Legislature was independent and operated their own finances.

We declared free education at Primary, Junior and Senior Secondary School levels.

We increased tertiary levels bursary by over 400%.

We sent close to 500 students abroad on scholarship.

We sent a large number of graduates on post graduate training abroad.

We declared free health care for children under six and for adults over the age of 60.

We introduced free Caesarean Section for Emergency deliveries.

We built roads in every local government area and indeed took on some of the most ambitious intra state roads. The Unity Road and the Trans Kalahari roads are two major examples.

We built new schools and renovated most old ones.

We renovated old hospitals and built new ones especially the Specialist Braithwaite Memorial Hospital and the Ubima General Hospital.

We installed mono-pumps in most wards in the State.

Our independent Power Programme is second to none in the country. We have put in place enough generating capacity for the State for years to come.

We distributed over 400 transformers throughout the state.

We installed Electric Power Generating sets in remote locations awaiting our IPP.

All our successor needs to do is to complete the transmission which is over 80% completed and distribute to homes.

We built the 132KV 120 kilometers Double Circuit Transmission line through a most difficult terrain in the State from Omoku to Port Harcourt.

We built distribution power lines within the state.

We pioneered the use of, and installed solar street lighting systems from the Omagwa International Airport to the city and some major streets.

We rebuilt at great cost the Port Harcourt Airport Road

We built the Olu Obasanjo Air force base East west Road bypass.

We built the Elelenwo, Woji, and a host of other bridges connecting communities.

We procured over 120 luxury buses for free school bussing and public transport.

We rebuilt RTC We built the best Govt. House in Nigeria.

We built over 3,800 low cost houses.

We built the best State House of Assembly Complex in Nigeria

We built the best State Judiciary Complex in the Country.

We built new courts and Magistrates and Judges Quarters.

We completed new Assembly Quarters for members of our State House of Assembly.

We bought a dual purpose use Air Ambulance/ Executive Jet, a Dash 8 aircraft and a Helicopter.

We bought over 130 vehicles for the Nigeria Police, over 300 bullet proof vests and 3 APCs.

We bought over 30 boats for the Navy including 3 armoured unsinkable assault boats.

We rebuilt the abandoned Nigeria Air Force Base airport Runway and installed runway/landing lights and the CAT II Instrument Landing System (ILS system).

We bought over 400 taxis and subsidized to allotees.

We created an enabling environment for investors which led to the influx of new businesses and employment for our people.

In collaboration with TAP, we gave skills to our people-over 187.000 were trained and equipped.

We raised the revenue profile of the state.

We invested in the economic sector and our net worth investment is over N80 billion.

We built one of the best liaison offices in Abuja. We built three estates in Abuja.

I herewith present to the Commission a little brochure detailing some of the works we executed with the money accruing to our people and our state during our tenure.

But most importantly, my Lord, we insisted on the lowest cost for the best quality and we challenged repeatedly and still challenge now, anyone who can do any of the things or projects we executed at a lower cost to come forward.

I also challenge anyone who has evidence of any kick backs or bribes or commission paid to me to come forward.

If Odili's Government was bad, why did the State Assembly under the Speakership of the Rt Hon Rotimi Amaechi hold a Special Session in honour of Dr Odili and accorded him an Honourary Life Member of the same Assembly?

Why did the same Assembly in April 2007 pass a unanimous vote of confidence and clean bill of health on the Odili Administration?

If Odili's administration was not good enough why did Justiec Adolphus Karibi Whyte not resign his appointment as Chairman State Advisory Council, a position he held till May 29,2007?

Above all, I challenge anyone in Rivers State, Nigeria and in the World who says OD1LI looted Rivers Money to come forward with evidence of where this money is , anywhere in the world including Nigeria. It is an open challenge.

God blessed me before I became Governor and I accepted the challenge to serve selflessly. I am a contented man and 1 FEAR God.

But my Lord, I have a problem. My Lord, the Chairman, you gave a lecture at the 24th Convocation lecture of the University of Port Harcourt soon after your appointment as Chairman of this Commission. In the lecture, you called on courts in the country to guard against attempts by unscrupulous politicians that would want to misapply the rule of law to promote criminality. You said that there were already glaring signs of attempts by some of these politicians to use the courts to frustrate the efforts of anti-graft agencies to investigate their activities in public office. You further said that it was sad that a Judge of the Federal High Court could give an injunction restraining the EFCC from investigating the era of a former Governor who allegedly enriched himself with public funds while in office.

My Lord, you were referring to me. I am the only former Governor who has exercised his constitutional right and took the EFCC to court. You are already biased. Why should I be appearing before you?

RECOMMENDATIONS

As a man who loves Rivers State dearly, I will make these suggestions for Posterity even though I do not believe that the intention of those who conceived the Commission was to find truth and genuine reconciliation.

Youth restiveness is common all over the Niger Delta due to a feeling of frustration among qualified employable but unfortunately jobless young people. So job creation in the oil industry and its subsidiaries will be key to reducing the number of idle hands in the area available for use by negative minds.

Deliberate creation of stakeholders' interest and participation for the indigenes in the industry.

Massive and Robust Infrastructural development especially roads and bridges, in Rivers (riverine areas), Delta, and Bayelsa States, driven by strong POLITICAL WILL, by the Federal Government.

The practice of True Federalism.

Demonstration by the Governor that he sincerely wants reconciliation by seeking peace genuinely. What this Commission has turned out to be, does not suggest that. He has created a forum for innocent people, well-respected people and Traditional rulers like the late Emir of Katsina and the Ooni of Ife to be denigrated.

That is regrettable and unfair and does not reflect well on the State we laboured hard to project as a model to the nation.

The situation in Rivers State today is a pathetic unprecedented insecurity of life, leading to a mass exodus of investors and people, and calls for reorientation of our people and a return to God. Leadership must be humble and fearful of God.

There is need for true leaders and elders of Rivers State to come together selflessly, unite and plan for the future of the State, and not to keep running down people and fomenting restiveness for their personal relevance and self aggrandizement.

Source: http://www.nationalnetworkonline.com/VOL7/Vol10n1/insight.html

1 Like

Re: Betrayal: Dr. Odili Opens Up On His Regime, Amaechi-omehia Feud, Etc by Jerrosky1986(m): 7:09pm On Jun 01, 2015
Ameachi has bn betraying his masters since 1450.political betrayer

(1) (Reply)

White Babalawo With Swags / How God Safe Me After Boardinf A Buss At Young Legacy From Ilorin To Lagos / Between United States And Canada, Which Is A Better Country?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.