Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,332 members, 7,954,344 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:08 PM

What Are Your Most Disappointing Issues With Car Insurance - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are Your Most Disappointing Issues With Car Insurance (1446 Views)

8 Methods To Minimize The Price Of Your Car Insurance Coverage. / Car Insurance In Nigeria: All You Need To Know / How Much Is Comprehensive Car Insurance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Your Most Disappointing Issues With Car Insurance by Cristiano007: 3:02pm On Jun 02, 2015
I recently bought my wife a used Toyota Corola and getting the appropriate insurance was a real pain. The broker I contacted only gave me quotes from one insurance company and I felt the price is too high. He couldn't even tell me about the benefits and seemed unmotivated at all!?

Don't people want to make money these days?? I even contacted the insurance company directly, but customer support seems not to be their highest priority... I then called two other insurers I knew, which were a bit more motivated to sell me insurance. I'm curious what happens when I have a claim in the future...

What do you guys hate the most about car insurance?
Re: What Are Your Most Disappointing Issues With Car Insurance by samir101ng(m): 4:15pm On Jun 02, 2015
Cristiano007:
I recently bought my wife a used Toyota Corola and getting the appropriate insurance was a real pain. The broker I contacted only gave me quotes from one insurance company and I felt the price is too high. He couldn't even tell me about the benefits and seemed unmotivated at all!?
Don't people want to make money these days?? I even contacted the insurance company directly, but customer support seems not to be their highest priority... I then called two other insurers I knew, which were a bit more motivated to sell me insurance. I'm curious what happens when I have a claim in the future...
What do you guys hate the most about car insurance?

Interesting topic.

I think the issue of a comprehensive car insurance is much neglected by many Nigerian's especially considering our challenging environment.

Here are a few links i was able to dig up, kindly add yours:

1. https://online.mansardinsurance.com/MansardOnline/motorcomprehensive.aspx

2. http://www.nigerinsurance.com/index/general/productdetails.php?id=3&subid=5&pid=43

3. http://iginigeria.com/?_com_content=d437298d0a25d7d6fd98d44815b8ea26&lb=MOTOR+INSURANCE

4. http://www.aiicoplc.com/insurance/personal-insurance/motor-insurance/comprehensive

5. http://www.leadway.com/corporate/motor-insurance/

Now from the above links, how many Nigerian's do you think will be able & willing to pay a premium every month or quarterly for their vehicles ?

You have to take so many things into consideration;

1. Income
2. Daily/Monthly Expenses
3. Cost of Motor Vehicle
4. Risks (determined by an actuary based on your profile) etc

So, for me personally to take out a comprehensive motor insurance plan, i must have a monthly income of over N150,000, have a monthly expense of N80,000 bar any unforeseen circumstances and drive a brand new car of not less than N2,500,000.00. But hey that's just me. grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Most Disappointing Issues With Car Insurance by Whizpeter(m): 5:00pm On Jun 02, 2015
*spreads mat*
Its time to learn
Re: What Are Your Most Disappointing Issues With Car Insurance by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 02, 2015
^^ the first poster has said it all.

I have never been disappointed.

Try Mansard Insurance, former GTAssurance. wink
I run a comprehensive insurance with them.

Y'know Nigerians love the easy way, sometimes they insure their cars with non-reputable insurance firms and when it's time for them to be indemnified, stories that touch the heart would abound.

Get a recognised, consistent and reputable insurance firm, insure your car and you're good to go.
Re: What Are Your Most Disappointing Issues With Car Insurance by samir101ng(m): 7:47am On Jun 03, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
^^ the first poster has said it all.

I have never been disappointed.

Try Mansard Insurance, former GTAssurance. wink
I run a comprehensive insurance with them.

Y'know Nigerians love the easy way, sometimes they insure their cars with non-reputable insurance firms and when it's time for them to be indemnified, stories that touch the heart would abound.

Get a recognized, consistent and reputable insurance firm, insure your car and you're good to go.

@Kachisbarbie,

Could you kindly help us out with some information as to the process you went through when applying for the insurance and the amount of premium you are paying ? It would go a long way in enlightening people. Thanks.

A major reason also i should add that Nigerian's don't patronize insurance companies is the long process involved in paying out on a claim. Most times the insurance companies act in bad faith and try to find ways to renegade on their responsibilities to pay up & find innovative excuses to push the blame on the customer. Am sure we all have one or two experiences to share on this particular issue.
Re: What Are Your Most Disappointing Issues With Car Insurance by Cristiano007: 11:46am On Jun 03, 2015
Thanks for the links! It really helped me to get a better picture of the market although I was not able to see quotes for comprehensive insurance directly on the page. But I found another website with which you are able to compare those quotes online (http://topcheck.com.ng). They called me back after a few mins and guided me through the process. Was really nice, I can only recommend.

I wonder why the government is trying to push insurances so much but allowing unreliable insurance companies still operating on the market. Regulation should be more strict to win customers trust!!
Re: What Are Your Most Disappointing Issues With Car Insurance by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 03, 2015
samir101ng:

@Kachisbarbie,

Could you kindly help us out with some information as to the process you went through when applying for the insurance and the amount of premium you are paying ? It would go a long way in enlightening people. Thanks.
After buying the car, I took it to Mansard insurance_ where you don't find the main Mansard office, you can always find them in any GTbank office_ kinda attached to the marketers.

I went with a copy of the invoice, the insurance agent would take a picture of the car, then place his/her id card on the dashboard while capturing the mileage, be it a mint/fairly used car.

You would fill a form stating the package you want, the cost of the car; some people reduce/increase the cost of the car in the invoice. Probably to reduce the premium they have to pay or increase their claim in event of indemnity. They would work with whatsoever price you have in your invoice

The form would be sent to their head office, who would in turn send back your insurance papers (all things being equal), very fast.

I paid 82,000 for the first two years, the second year is still running though. They said it would reduce soon...

A major reason also i should add that Nigerian's don't patronize insurance companies is the long process involved in paying out on a claim. Most times the insurance companies act in bad faith and try to find ways to renegade on their responsibilities to pay up & find innovative excuses to push the blame on the customer. Am sure we all have one or two experiences to share on this particular issue.
I have family and friends that use Mansard and they have never failed anyone of us. They work real fast, that's how they have been in able to stay/rise in the 'market'.

The worst that could happen is your panel beater giving a wrong(sub) quotation. The trick is always inflate the quotation, they have a way of slashing it, though they would always bear the greater expense.

If some other car hit you, better sef...lols. The person go pay, you go still waka go meet your insurance company too... grin
Re: What Are Your Most Disappointing Issues With Car Insurance by samir101ng(m): 7:30am On Jun 04, 2015
@Kachisbarbie,

Thank you so much for the information provided. Am sure we have all learnt a few things involved in the insurance process by your explanations.

A quick question though, some insurance companies have a policy of paying you back a certain percentage of the premiums you have paid over the years. Does Mansard have any policy like that ?

Secondly, some insurance companies provides perks like GPS Tracking for your vehicle, replacement vehicle for use in the case of any accident etc, it would be nice to know if Mansard has something like that. Thanks.
Re: What Are Your Most Disappointing Issues With Car Insurance by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 04, 2015
samir101ng:
@Kachisbarbie,

Thank you so much for the information provided. Am sure we have all learnt a few things involved in the insurance process by your explanations.
Y'welcome.
I just gave a basic overview of the procedure. wink

A quick question though, some insurance companies have a policy of paying you back a certain percentage of the premiums you have paid over the years. Does Mansard have any policy like that ?
No they don't.
You might choose to dissolve the insurance package when you wish, but they don't give back any percentage.
Except they started it today cheesy grin.

Secondly, some insurance companies provides perks like GPS Tracking for your vehicle, replacement vehicle for use in the case of any accident etc, it would be nice to know if Mansard has something like that. Thanks.
Mansard won't provide the GPS tracking free, they partner with MTN _ and it would be made available to you at a cost.

As at September 2013, they told me 80000+. I didn't see the need of making their work easier, they would end up tracking the car with the tracker I paid for and there would be no need to indemnify me angry.

I felt the GPS tracking should have been free.

Of course they replace cars, if the car gets spoilt beyond repair or gets lost totally. They would do their usual calculation of subtracting its depreciation over its useful life span from the initial cost of the car stated in the invoice.

Then give the money to you, and you go get yourself a 'new' car.

Maybe some people have been disappointed, we can only find out if we sample a larger view.
lalasticlala : help our ministry smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Honda Accord 2008 2.4 LX Ivtec And 2.0 LX Ivtec / Hello Car Gurus, My Ford Escape V6 Consumes Fuel Like Madt / Still Can't Figure Out The Problem (hyundai Sonata V6 Not Running)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.