Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,119 members, 7,828,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Sepp Blatter Announces His Stepping Down As FIFA President - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sepp Blatter Announces His Stepping Down As FIFA President (383 Views)

Infantino With Ifeanyi Ubah: As FIFA Keys Into ‘Football Made In Anambra’ / Acting Fifa President Hayatou Sleeps Through Press Conference. / Sepp Blatter To Resign As Fifa President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sepp Blatter Announces His Stepping Down As FIFA President by odunayo00: 8:58pm On Jun 02, 2015
FIFA President Sepp Blatter has announced he will be resigning from office as President of the World football body soon. Making the announcement today, Mr Blatter, 79, who was re-elected for a fifth term only four days ago, said the world football governing body will hold an extraordinary congress to elect his successor as soon as possible.

"I decided to stand again for election because I thought it was the best option. The election is closed but the challenges have not come to an end. FIFA needs a profound restructuring. Although the members of Fifa have re-elected me president, this mandate does not seem to be supported by everybody in the world of football. This is why I will call an extraordinary congress and step down." he said

This is coming after many called for his resignation following the bribery scandal that engulfed the football governing body and arrest of several top officials.

His full statement below...

I have been reflecting deeply about my presidency and about the 40 years in which my life has been inextricably bound to Fifa and the great sport of football. I cherish Fifa more than anything and I want to do only what is best for Fifa and for football. I felt compelled to stand for re-election, as I believed that this was the best thing for the organisation. That election is over but Fifa’s challenges are not. Fifa needs a profound overhaul.
While I have a mandate from the membership of Fifa, I do not feel that I have a mandate from the entire world of football – the fans, the players, the clubs, the people who live, breathe and love football as much as we all do at Fifa. Therefore, I have decided to lay down my mandate at an extraordinary elective Congress. I will continue to exercise my functions as Fifa President until that election. The next ordinary Fifa Congress will take place on 13 May 2016 in Mexico City. This would create unnecessary delay and I will urge the Executive Committee to organise an Extraordinary Congress for the election of my successor at the earliest opportunity. This will need to be done in line with Fifa’s statutes and we must allow enough time for the best candidates to present themselves and to campaign. Since I shall not be a candidate, and am therefore now free from the constraints that elections inevitably impose, I shall be able to focus on driving far-reaching, fundamental reforms that transcend our previous efforts.
Read more here: http://www.carlosayos.com/2015/06/sepp-blatter-announces-his-stepping.html

(1) (Reply)

Interpol Puts Ex-fifa Officials On Its Wanted List / U20 World Cup Update: Mali 1 Vs 0 Germany (full Time) / Twickers Could Be Chelsea's New Home..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.