Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,789 members, 7,817,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

The Tall Boy - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Tall Boy (1339 Views)

Nine Feet Tall And Other Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 10:05pm On Jun 02, 2015
Hello comrades! It's your boy from the galaxy. I have been writing for a while, writing is my hobby. I would want this work of mine to be reviewed. You mustn't condemn but criticism is allowed
Re: The Tall Boy by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jun 02, 2015
Where is the work?
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 10:30pm On Jun 02, 2015
THE TALL BOY
Although he lacked the physical strength which could be attributed to a normal boy of his age, he was a cheerful boy. He now lives with Mama after he lost his parents at a very tender age. Mama was his father's mother. Mama was a woman of grace and character. But for the boy, he grew up into a quiet and well reserved gentle boy. One thing remarkable about him was his height. He was extremely tall, very much taller for his young age. Thus, he was fondly called 'nwata nwoke ogologo' the tall boy
Re: The Tall Boy by GeneralQuamdeen: 11:00pm On Jun 02, 2015
A very nice write up but you should put more effort in your punctuation.

1 Like

Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 11:15pm On Jun 02, 2015
MEET NTIKE
Mama was in the kitchen. She just came back from the market. She sells vegetables, fruits, garri and fresh pepper at the market. She came home and rushed to the kitchen to prepare lunch for her dear grandson. She was preparing egusi soup. The egusi soup was to be eaten with pounded yam. Her grandson would be back at any moment.
Mama was still washing the pepper to be used for the soup when she heard the sobbing of a young boy. She rushed out of the kitchen to see who it was that was crying. It was her grandson, the tall boy crying. His school uniform was in a mess. His white shirt was very dirty and tattered, while his buttons were all gone except for one or two. His head was covered with bruises and his mouth was swelled up. Mama didn't any dibia to tell her that her grandson was involved in a fight. A fight in which he was brutally battered.
"Nnam, who did this to you? It is a pity that I wasn't there to fight for you. Now tell me the person let me go and ask him why he should beat you like a thief"
"Ntike" answered the tall boy almost in a whisper.

TO BE CONTINUED
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 7:19am On Jun 03, 2015
CONTINUED
"hey! You won't kill me. A boy of your age did this to you. Come and have a handshake." Replied the old woman extending her hand to her grandson.
To be frank, Ntike was a troublesome boy. He was huge and had an intimidating stature.
"did I train you up to be a punching bag? Your father was a man of strength and your mother was a woman of varlour. Who do you take after?" Lamented mama.
The tall boy could only bow down his head. He was ashamed, ashamed of his impetuous, ashamed of his inability to rise up to big occasions, ashamed of his weakness, ashamed of everything about his life. He was just tall for nothing.
"Go inside, change your clothes, wash your face and come and help me in kitchen" Mama told him leaving for the kitchen. She was murmuring something maybe about his grandson's inability to rise up to occasion. As for the tall boy, he moved clumsily into his room .
Re: The Tall Boy by ikeepitreal(m): 7:28am On Jun 03, 2015
You garrit, but learn to use more imagery in your description.
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 4:13pm On Jun 03, 2015
THE TALL BOY'S DREAMS
The tall boy had his own dreams. His dream was a tall dream. His dream was to study pharmacy in any good university around the world. He would then go on to own the biggest pharmaceutical company in the country. But the death of his parents seemed to hinder his dreams, his once tall dream seemed to have shattered. His father was a business man in the city. Although his father was not wealthy, he was not poor either. His mother was a house wife. His father wanted her to look after their children once she starts to give birth. He disliked the idea of a housemaid or a nanny.
But at a tender age, he lost his parents. Nine months after he was given birth to, his mother passed away in a ghastly motor accident. His father loved his mother dearly, and it seemed that her passing away affected him both emotionally and psychologically. His life was never the same again and he never recovered from the shock of losing his wife. His business was going down the drain. It wasn't long, before he took ill. The doctor's effort to make him well worsened up his condition. It was long before he gave up the ghost.
Mama came to the rescue of the baby and trained him up. Mama taught him many things. Mama taught him never to give up or give in without a fight. Mama taught him that no matter how shattered his dream might be, he could still pick up the broken pieces and make a brand new dream.
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 11:16pm On Jun 05, 2015
PROF OBI
The tall boy just told Mama about Prof Obi's visit to their school. He promised to award a scholarship to the best student in the upcoming SSCE. Prof Obi used to be a lecturer before swapping to politics at the latter stage of his life. He was a well known philanthropist. The scholarship would see the winner up till his final year in the higher institution.
"okay. Read well for the wayeki and pass your jamb. I know that God will see us through." Mama replied.
"I will try my best." Answered the boy.
In his heart, he knew that it was an uphill task. In today's world, only few mischievous students are blessed with outstanding intelligence. Paul Nze also known as Ntike was such and he was favourite to win the scholarship.
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 11:48pm On Jun 05, 2015
Another fight
The tall boy was returning from the stream with the pot of water on his head when someone roughly past him, he staggered and almost let go of the pot of water on his head. It was no other person but Ntike. He only looked at him pitifully and made up his mind not to react. He turned to leave but Ntike wanted a fight for no just reason. According to him, the tall boy was always feeling too big and would snub anyone he sees including ignoring him.
He rushed the tall boy and pushed the pot of water from his head and it went crashing. This so much infuriated the tall boy that he lost control and made up his mind that Ntike would surely get what he wants. A bloody fight took place and so bloody that it seemed that every blow forces blood off their mouth. Ntike knew that this was a different fight. Everybody fears him but this weakling had the courage to give him a good fight.
Unfortunately for the tall boy, he missed a step and Ntike capitalized on that slip and lifted him and threw him on the ground and held him firmly on the ground forcing sand down his throat.
It was almost at this point of the fight that some adults who were going to fetch water saw the fight and separated them.
Re: The Tall Boy by Feyikemi12(f): 8:22am On Jun 06, 2015
nice write up, but please don't keep us waiting o
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 12:16am On Jun 14, 2015
MAMA'S STORY
The tall boy was not in a good mood. It was the first time he stood up to anyone in his life. Ntike really dealt with him. He might not have been horribly dealt if not for the slip. But for all he cared his efforts were as good as poo. He was just tall for nothing, irrelevant and nobody will ever look up to him.
Just then, Mama entered his room. His thoughts were interrupted. Mama wasn't mad at him when she heard of the fight. She heard that her grandson was involved in the fight unlike the previous times in which he made no attempt to defend himself. She had a story to tell him, an interesting story.
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 12:41am On Jun 14, 2015
"In my youth, I was the best ijele dancer." Began the old woman.
Ijele dance was their traditional dance. It requires high expertise to perform its complex dance steps. Every young maiden aspire to learn the dance.
"but being the best wasn't an easy achievement. Good things don't come easy. I twisted my ankle twice while learning the dance steps. I almost stopped practicing. I almost bowed down to failure but I didn't. Failure is overrated for all I cared. I looked failure straight into the eyes. Failure saw my determination, my persistence, my perseverance. Failure being such a coward came trembling, and failure bowed before me. That was how success came to me." That was Mama's story.
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 12:56am On Jun 14, 2015
Feyikemi12:
nice write up, but please don't keep us waiting o

Good to know someone is reading. What are your views on the work. This is just like an appetizer sha. Might write on a beta work if God willing.
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 1:12am On Jun 14, 2015
ALWAYS THE TWO
WAEC has come and gone. The best student gets a scholarship. Mama's ijele dance story seemed to have catalyzed the tall boy's life. ' I won't bow to failure' was what he kept telling himself during the exam period. He studied severely in his quest to make failure bow to him and invite success to a banquet. He knew Mama wouldn't be able to sponsor his tertiary education and this scholarship proposal was his only hope.
It wasn't long before the results were released. As usual there were many students who bowed down to failure and would consider rewriting the exam next year.
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 11:08pm On Jun 25, 2015
The tall boy checked his result like any other student at the cyber cafe. It was an excellent result. He made six A's and three B's. He knew that it might not be good enough to give him the scholarship as Ntike was tipped to make all A's.
He was scared that he might miss the scholarship. His JAMB result was good and his POSTUME was better. He was almost certain that he would get the admission but his biggest worry was his lack of sponsor. Mama had tried for him but he knew that she can't afford his tertiary education.
Two weeks later, a letter was received from the school management. The letter stated that a problem has arose due to the fact that the two top students in the just concluded WAEC had the same grades and as a result, there's a problem on whom to offer Prof. Obi's scholarship as only one person is entitled to be awarded the scholarship. The two students were Ntike and the tall boy.
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 11:26pm On Jun 25, 2015
To be contd

Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 11:47pm On Jun 25, 2015
IGWE OKA'S VERDICT
The case wasn't an easy one. Chief Nze- Ntike's father argued vehemently that his son was more deserving of the scholarship. According to him, his son was an epitome of academic consistency, a future first class whereas the tall boy was just fluke and wouldn't keep up with the burden of the tertiary institution and his academic record isn't that impressive. According to him, he was an unknown entity, it was just this WAEC that made him gain a little academic relevance.
Mama wouldn't take that. She stressed the fact that chief Nze was already wealthy and could comfortably sponsor his son in any tertiary institution. She also criticized Chief Nze for calling her boy an academic fluke instead of encouraging him to attain greater heights. Soon, the case excavated into a war of words between the two family involved and eventually ended up being taken to their king, Igwe Oka.
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 2:50pm On Jun 27, 2015
Igwe Oka called on the conflicting families alongside his cabinet of chiefs and lawmakers. He had a proposal to make to Mama and her boy. He told them to let Ken Nze also known as Ntike to have the scholarship while they might get some compensation from Chief Nze. Mama agreed to this proposal as all she wanted was for her boy's education but the rich chief Nze wouldn't have that.
"This disrespectful old woman and her tall slimy grandson won't have my one naira." He said stamping his feet to show his solemnity.
The tall boy felt a strong sensation in his brain. He felt like giving the chief the slap of his life for calling him 'slimy.' His statement led to another war of words between the chief and Mama and it took the a couple of minutes before order was restored by the king.
" I have a better proposal to make." Cried out a little proud voice.
It was no other person but the mischievous Ken Nze also known as Ntike.

Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 2:59pm On Jun 27, 2015
"Can we hear you" demanded the king.
"Many a time in the days of our ancestors has such a case been encountered. According to our history, the case was usually resolved in only one way if the case seemed to be irresolvable. A wrestling match" ended the proud little youth.
The tall boy had heard of a similar tale before but that was in Biology. It was called the survival of the fittest. Only the strong animals get the sweet things of life while the weak animals suffer for their weakness and might die out of extinction. The tall boy knew inside of him that he wasn't weak. Many times, people had mistaken the gentle stride of the tiger for timidity. He might have been gentle but not weak.
As soon as Ntike finished his proposal, the tall boy stood up to his feet and it was as though a veil was removed from his face and he spoke for the first time in the meeting and to everyone's amazement "I accept."
Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 9:15pm On Jun 27, 2015
BEFORE THE BIG FIGHT
"why did you accept to dine with the devil?" Mama asked the tall boy after they had returned home.
"I did the right thing." Answered the boy.
" That wasn't the right thing to do. You should have allowed me to talk on your behalf. " Mama insisted
Although mama protested after the tall boy had accepted the challenge but the tall boy was adamant and insisted on the wrestling match. The King told Mama to stop her persistency as the two young men had decided their fate.
" Mama, you taught not to run away from my challenges, rather I should stand up to them and face them. That was exactly what I did." Answered the tall boy.
" prudency my son. Face your challenges prudently. I think that was a mistake on your side." Mama replied.
"We all make our mistakes in life. 'faire vos belles erreurs,' make your beautiful mistakes, my dear French teacher would always tell us. If what I did was a mistake, then it must be a beautiful one. One thing about a beautiful mistake is that you end up having the last laugh." Replied the young lad.
Mama knew for sure that he had made up his mind and nothing can make him change it.

Re: The Tall Boy by Cdstars(m): 2:02am On Nov 24, 2015
THE BIG FIGHT
While the tall boy prepared for the wrestling contest, Ntike boasted beyond measure of a well assured victory.
On that faithful afternoon, the villagers gathered to watch the fight. Nobody gave the tall boy a chance but he was determined to fight for his place in the echelons of academics and if it should be by wrestling his worst nemesis, then let it be.
He stepped into the arena, Ntike was already waiting for him in the arena with sand inside his palms. He beat off the sand from his hand as a sign of acceptance of the challenge. The two young men squared off. Ntike attempted to slam him to the floor instantly but the tall boy resisted with all his might. Ntike knew that this wasn't the same boy he has always bullied. Indeed, something was different. Ntike tried the more and somehow managed to lift him up. The tall boy knew he would lose if things continued this way. He could see his tall dreams crashing. He knew he had to win for his late parents, for Mama, for the voiceless, for the bullied and most importantly for his dreams. He felt a surge of adrenaline flow down his spine and he somehow twisted himself out of Ntike's grab. He made towards Ntike and with all his strength, he slammed him on the floor, pinning him to the floor and feeding him sand, a sign of total victory.

THE END

(1) (Reply)

The Surprise Proposal- Akintayo Akinjide / Some Unknown Facts About The Mona Lisa Painting By Leonardo Da Vinci / When Love Makes You Cry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.