Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,597 members, 7,820,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. (1206 Views)

5 Sure Ways To Effectively Market Your Startup On A Small Budget / Ideas On Monetizing A Website/ Blog . ( Solved,No more PMs pls) / I Need Ideas On Printing Press/company Start-up And Requirements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by mybad: 2:13pm On Jun 03, 2015
Hello Nairalanders,

I have just made up my mind about paid employment.
I've decided to quit my job of 7 years and start up something. Anything!
I want to be in the league of those who have stopped saying ''Yes Sir'' to other people!
those who make a living from doing their thing whichever way they deem fit.
Take decisions by themselves, whenever and however they deem necessary.
Who work hard, work smart, work late and do anything that translates to money making and business expansion.

I have wondered if the last 7 years of my life would have been better if all the hours i'd put into my work had been put into my personal business.
Would i have been better for it?
Would i be worse off?
The answer lies in what i did with my time.
I have therefore decided that the next 7 years will be spent building a world for me whichever way it turns out.
The only snag is that, i don't know what i'd be doing.

Please nairalanders, i need help with ideas on the way forward.
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by alakara(m): 2:15pm On Jun 03, 2015
it depends on what you want to venture into and what you have
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by ammyluv2002(f): 2:28pm On Jun 03, 2015
Don't quit your job till you have everything in place for example;
Ideas
Resources
Research
Primary targets
Goals
Profit
Availability

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by Femidigirits: 2:29pm On Jun 03, 2015
I have therefore decided that the next 7 years will be spent building a world for me whichever way it turns out.

From your submission here you obviously need to get on the street, look around and find existing and successful businessmen. Get mentored, get training, start out whatever catches your fancy and grow patiently.

There are many materials online and offline you can study as a guide but ultimately your passion in a chosen interest is your sure bet towards being successful.

I know many people will suggest online business and the likes but you won't go far in it if you don't love to do it.
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by sunnydayasaba(m): 2:50pm On Jun 03, 2015
Starting a business is not always as easy as it seems, Before u compare urself with some successful people, U most first look critically at yourself and ask urself dis question, R u born to be a business man? This question might seems easy, but i tell u, that's d first place to start.

Passion for business is d key, U can start bean cake(Akara) for example and excel if u hv strong passion for it while someone who sees ur success story might try same and follow off. Before u resign ur job, seat yourself up and ask if u have passion for business, if ur answer is YES...then u can start looking for d needed resources and mentorship u need to excel. Good luck
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by Godmother(f): 3:01pm On Jun 03, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Ideas
Resources
Research
Primary targets
Goals
Profit
Availability

Exactly. Don't quit your job yet until your business has stood. 80% of businesses go through rough patches at the beginning and some don't even survive that phase. Business is just as tough as paid employment. Don't be deceived by all those tales you hear about being your own boss.

Get your business to a level and then you can resign. I'm actually speaking from experience.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by dav8id(m): 4:01pm On Jun 03, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Ideas
Resources
Research
Primary targets
Goals
Profit
Availability

you said it.all
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by eminikansoso(m): 4:01pm On Jun 03, 2015
mybad:

Hello Nairalanders,

I want to be in the league of those who have stopped saying ''Yes Sir'' to other people!
Who work hard, work smart, work late and do anything that translates to money making and business expansion.

I have wondered if the last 7 years of my life would have been better if all the hours i'd put into my work had been put into my personal business.
Would i be worse off?

I know a business that give you more than #100k per month if you are in a good location in any big city in Nigeria.
That is dry cleaning and laundry business.
Let me educate you a little bit on the business.
HOW TO START LAUNDRY AND DRY CLEANER BUSINESS IN YOUR LOCATION
Laundry business is a small scale business that can be established at the back of your house and requires small capital to establish one. This is a business that can fetch the owner of the business a lot of money in short period of time.
When establishing a laundry business, the most importance material is availability of clean water. Although water is very cheap here in Nigeria.
Materials needed to start the business
• 12kg washing machine
• 7.5kv generating plant
• Dryer
• Two pressing iron; steaming iron and ordinary iron
• Two tables; one for washing and the other for ironing
• Shelve
• One standing industrial fan
• 1kg spraying can
• Tagging gun
• Buckets, brush, hangers, laundry nylon.

Dryer is used for urgent service and in the next thirty minutes the cloth is dry and ready for ironing.
Steaming iron is used to iron plain trousers and suits while the ordinary is used to iron other types of fabrics
Spraying can is used by filling with water and spray on cloth when ironing for easy smoothing.
Tagging gun is also used for tagging identities to the customers’ clothes for easy identification.
The most importance service of the laundry business is good ironing and packaging.
Thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by ammyluv2002(f): 4:25pm On Jun 03, 2015
dav8id:

you said it.all
Thanks cheesy
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by Yeecar(m): 7:19pm On Jun 03, 2015
mybad:

Hello Nairalanders,

Would i be worse off?

https://www.nairaland.com/2113936/mushroom-cultivation-easiest-way-becoming#30143612
Mushroom cultivation
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by iMerchant: 10:11pm On Jun 03, 2015
mybad:

Hello Nairalanders,

Would i be worse off?

Boss,

Sorry to bust your bubbles.

The honest trust is that, You're not ready for the business world.

Using your post as a state of mind, if you start a business with that state of mind, the business will fail within a year and you will be back looking for a paycheck.

You don't quit your employment because you're tired of saying Yes Sir or Ma. As an entrepreneurs you have several bosses with no fail safe system called salary.

Beside who said, you can't start a business while still earning a paycheck.

Remember, all that glitters aren't Gold. Entrepreneurs are usually broke. #Smiles

2 Likes

Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by iscbaba: 10:42pm On Jun 03, 2015
mybad:

Hello Nairalanders,

Would i be worse off?

Everyone send messages even
more than 3 million messages are always send
everyday...so tel me y u can't make your money
through this means.
Do you wanna b ur own boss
Do you wanna sack your boss
Are you unemployed
Do you earn less than #100,000 per month?
Cheapxmx and egoldsms present
Free web design
Free Hosting
Free 2500 bulksms unit as capital
Free proposals
All these for LESS than #21,000
call: 08158301503
bbm: 52d0246f
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by Brownzola(m): 11:32pm On Jun 03, 2015
Congratulations and welcome to our world of business owners. I quit like u sometimes ago thinking it will come out terrible. Sir, the real freedom is in when youre building ur own career rather than collecting salary and building career that does nt belong to you.Thank God i decided then probably i wud still be the champion in another man's organization. Note my ID well on nairaland and research my name well on facebook Abidemi Blessing Kayode about my antecedent. I have a life changing opportunity i have been able to introduce to atleast three people from nairaland and five people through fb and they are doing good right now in the business. Meet me here for better talk 07035071971. But note: anyone who is not honest and is nt ready to be cannot do what i want to introduce to you o. Once again congratulations. Though i dont know u before now. God is ur strenght.
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by 2Blessed2stress: 5:25am On Jun 04, 2015
You will need a thorough research and feasibility study to come up with a comprehensive business plan. I can do that for you.

But to start with, you need to recognize your passion that motivates you and comes natural to you. That way you can easily blend into your start-up and keep growing from day one cool.
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by 1k001(m): 7:49am On Jun 04, 2015
The grass is not greener on this side. It's harder being an entrepreneur and you have an even tougher boss - the customer. I'm afraid your perception may be misplaced, reassess the situation and your motivation. Again, the grass is not greener on this side and when it is it's because one stayed up day and night watering it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by Angelstartups(f): 8:09am On Jun 04, 2015
Hello mybad,

Skills required to prepare for the world of Entrepreneurship: Resilience, Patience, People Management Skill, Relationship Management, Sales Skills, Ability to work round the clock (24-7) unlike 9-5 (8 hours office job), ability to take initiative and be decisive, Networking Skills, to mention a few.

Haven highlighted these soft skills, it is then imperative for you to understand the fundamentals of the type of business you have passion for. Don't regret working for these 7 years in a corporate environment, it was for you to build your network of contacts and people management skills because don't be surprised your colleagues/ friends, etc, should be your first point of call to sell to. They at least know you for those many years, they are valuable assets that will be your first word of mouth marketers to spread the gospel of your products/ services. The other advantage for you is you should have built up some tangible capital running into millions potentially or close to that for you to decide it's time to go to the 'street'.

Furthermore, before you quit that job, look within and think of that service (could be products to sell) you could render for free and still have passion doing it (it doesn't mean you won't charge for it, it just mean during the 'rainy days', you will still be waxing strong without being discouraged to shut down, the street works in cycles, there are peak periods, there are off-peak periods). After that, look for a successful entrepreneur in your area of interest, look up for his/ her stories of success, pick some lessons from there. Enrol yourself for short courses in business management in training centres around you (an example is EDC training centre, Lagos) if you don't have accounting skills, strategic, risk and financial management yet. You could do this during your annual leave period. Also, Buy few books/ journals, etc and read and keep reading about the world of business, never stop reading. It's an ever changing world nowadays, very fast-paced!

Finally, whenever you are finally set to delve into 'the street', ensure you split your capital into two (2), keep one-fold aside and use the other to start your 'big-idea', small. Starting small helps you manage risks, because the bigger you start, the bigger the risk. Do a test-phase and over a period of 6 months to 1 year, you should have learnt the ropes of the business, by then, you can plough the other half into it to grow further and begin the journey of a thousand miles to GREATNESS!!!

(Note: The first capital seed most times goes into the ground and dies...for you to make mistakes and learn, so the other half can then begin to germinate for you, however, there are exceptions and you could strike gold from the first capital seed).

Visit www.angelstartups.com.ng for more assistance.

All the best!
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by barry40: 8:39am On Jun 04, 2015
[size=14pt]Possibly all these seven years, you have been working for money which is what most people do. I expected that after seven years, you must have acquired enough skills that we make you to be able to make that bold decision that it is time to go and start your own business. If the reasons you want to quit your job are that you don't want to say 'yes sir' to anybody again and because you want to make more money; this decision can lead to frustration. I expected that you must have sat down and calculate what you can be earning if you are on your own (based on your skills and your contribution in your place of your work). Also, the fact that you can achieve so much in your place of work does not automatically translate that you will achieve the same level of results if you are on your own. You need to assess your marketing strength. Have you built enough network of potential customers? I doubt all these are in place as it is obvious you don't even know what to do yet.
My Advice:
Now that you know you desire to be an entrepreneur, it is high time you saw yourself as an apprentice in your place of work. Begin to learn everything you can. Interact with other people from other departments such as Finance and Accounts, HR & Admin, Marketing, Operations and others. You will be glad to realise how you can freely tap into the expertise. You need all these skills when you are starting on your own. It is true you can't know it all but initially, you need to be a Jack of all trades, master of all. As your business grows, then you begin to employ qualified and competent individuals in these areas.
But for now, please don't quit your job. I wish I can sit with you to give you more insights. I will advise you read business articles regularly to give you enough exposure to the world of entrepreneurship. It is totally a different terrain. This website will help you: http://businessinfohub.com[/size]

Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by mcmbonu: 8:50am On Jun 04, 2015
Nice
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by ebamma(m): 1:09pm On Jun 04, 2015
The are some jobs that are not even worthy to be called a job sef
Imagine working for a 30 or 40k salary in Lagos,
You will work for 10yrs and will not have saving of 20k,
That job might even be hiding you from better opportunities that might have come your way if you were at home sef,
You took a nice decision Bro,
Working for 7yrs just to pay rent and eat food with no savings it's not worth it
It's better you quit and take that time exploring the world, Cos an opportunity is out there waiting for you to tap into it
Re: Quitting My Job! Need Ideas On How To Startup On My Own. by Fem60(m): 1:54pm On Jun 04, 2015
Do you believe that you can make over $50 daily on fiverr. That I too small, I believe that is what many people will say. Well! $50 is not too small in a day, that is $1500 every single month (300,000). Is not money, when we are talking about fiverr, many Nigerian make more than that. Am here to help you with my two weeks online fiverr training. We guarantee you $50 before the end of the training. Just follow here to read more about this offer: www.nairaland.com/2350151/two-weesks-step-step-fiverr

(1) (Reply)

Now Is The Time To Start That Business Idea In 2016 / 5 Things I Learnt Today From 2 Rich Igbo Businessmen In Lagos! / Nairaland Vs Lindaikejisblog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.