Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,120 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

**The Madness Of Elocution In An African Society** - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / **The Madness Of Elocution In An African Society** (512 Views)

Sperm Bank....a Threat To Modern African Society.. / 6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large / Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

**The Madness Of Elocution In An African Society** by Rapmoney(m): 10:59pm On Jun 04, 2015
Please, read patiently...

I visited a private school recently where my colleague's son attends and discovered how the teachers and students/pupils were straining themselves unnecessarily in order to speak like the English man! It was just so annoying how they were trying so hard to speak through their noses!!! Do we really need all these? Must we speak like the English man before we assume the form of real humans? Knowing how to construct your grammatical expressions perfectly well and the rules of English language, for me, is sufficient! We Africans must not speak through our noses!

Regions of the world are different and so are the people living in these regions. We all possess our various languages which are unique. When will Africans take off these ill-fitting gowns of neo-colonialism garnished with inferiority complex? Do you see the Chinese? They cherish their language! Even the ones that speak English do so in their own unique way. They don't try to twist their mouths...yet, in terms of development and technology, they have left us, millions of yards behind! Most of these countries that do better than us economically study these technologies in their own local languages. Yes, they do!!!

Now, these same kids that are seriously taught how to speak through their noses don't even know the names of their local government areas, talk more of their communities or villages! They can't even speak or understand their mother's tongue! Only yesterday, I called a boy of 12 and asked him which state he is from in Nigeria. Lo and behold, he could tell me! He didn't even know what his name 'Ejowoke' means in Urhobo language! What a pity!!! Most parents are really messing up when it comes to teaching their children their language and culture! They wouldn't do that! No. They prefer to see their kids speak through their noses like David Cameron or Michael Smith ...and so, they end up paying huge amount of money as fee for their kids to speak elocution!

God bless Kobina Sekyi even in his grave for that book 'The Blinkards'. Reminds me of Mr Okadu, Mrs Brofusem and Mr Tsiba.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

British Woman Who Woke Up With Chinese Accent After Stroke / What Are The Intresting Things About Your Culture / Which Way Southerners???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.