Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

The Definiton Of A Child By Nigerian Legislators - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Definiton Of A Child By Nigerian Legislators (451 Views)

The Huge Python Killed By Nigerian Soldiers In A Bush Near Their Barracks / 10 Disgraceful Habits Displayed By Nigerian Policemen In Public Places / The Latina Lady Guarded By Nigerian Police Officers In Lagos(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Definiton Of A Child By Nigerian Legislators by Otori123(m): 10:06am On Jun 05, 2015
Has the senate indirectly with assured intentions given a nod to sex in Nigeria? Has the senate thrown away moral considerations? Has the senate defined a child in this wise? Immediately I saw the headline on a blog that the 'senate makes 11 years the legal to have sex in Nigeria', I threw out a heavy sigh to go through the details and alas, 'having sex with a child under the age of 11yrs is a crime'- this is actually a good one as the issue of perpetual child abuse is on an alarming rate especially in Lagos where one sees news headline such as '2yrs old girl raped by a 30yrs old man'... But my worry is that, what happens to a girl aged 11-14 or thereabout depending on the sex strength of such a girl? If actually, the senate is in real consideration of who a child is, they would have considered the custom,law and moral perception of all Nigeria spheres. I cannot have my 11 or 12yrs old sister or daughter defiled even with her consent and cannot find the law for a succour against that useless 39yrs old man who has no consideration for morality, conscience or maturity. This is utterly painful. This got me wondering as to what if my little 11 yrs old sister or daughter gets to know about this law... She may decide to find conviction in that law to explore all manner of sex life- oh! My God. The UN conventions on the rights of a child defined a child as everyone under 18yrs- even if we are not going to ratify this definition, why don't we consider it. Taking a close consideration of the US law, the leal age to have sex in the UK is 16yrs- just imagine a sex stricken state like the UK having the legal age to have sex pegged at 16 and a moral stricken country like Nigeria having its own at 11yrs- what a worry! This is not enough as the Sexual Offence Act 2003 of UK specifically states ' a child under the age of 13 cannot give consent, hence having sex with a child under 13 is a crime'. This is close to what our senate is saying but more reasonable. Again, considering the definition of a child by the Child Rights Act, 2003 as ratified by Nigeria, it defines a child as someone who has not attained the age of 18. From the foregoing, it can simply be deduced that our senate has played out ignorance without considering morality,laws and individual perceptions. The senate has said its own... Let that my sister or daughter talk, I have my discipline cane.
Re: The Definiton Of A Child By Nigerian Legislators by coolzeal(m): 10:17am On Jun 05, 2015
This is barbaric, sicken and inhumane to pass such bill and it should be revisited as soon as possible. Never knew we have bunch of pedophiles as senators. The consented age should be 18 years and above.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Population To Exceed United States By 2050 / Twelve (12) Rules Of Street Football / Hazardous Fuel Storage In A Bus- Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.