Stats: 3,194,019 members, 7,953,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:47 AM

Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa (1593 Views)

Rahama Sadau Meets Akon In USA (Photos) / Top Ten Richest People In Nigeria 2015 And Net Worth - T.I.N / HMMMMM See What Akon Is About To Do. (2) (3) (4)

Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by haul: 1:09pm On Jun 05, 2015
By HELEN NIANIAS
Tuesday 02 June 2015

Despite being best known for making pop music, Akon's decided to give filling dancefloors a break in favour of bringing solar energy to people living in rural Africa.

The singer has decided to seriously diversify and set up charity Akon Lighting Africa in 2014.

The singer, who is of Senegalese-American descent, has recently opened a Solar Academy as part of his effort to bring electricity to 600 million people in rural communities across Africa.

Located in Bamako, Mali, the academy's aim is to help engineers produce solar power.

The organisation states that the continent averages 320 days of sunshine a year.

Samba Baithily, who co-founded Akon Lighting Africa with Akon and Thione Niang, told Reuters:
"We have the sun and innovative technologies to bring electricity to homes and communities. We now need to consolidate African expertise."

"We expect the Africans who graduate from this center to devise new, innovative, technical solutions," said Niang.

"With this Academy, we can capitalize on Akon Lighting Africa and go further."

So think about that next time 'Locked Up' comes on.

www.independent.co.uk/news/people/akon-is-bringing-electricity-to-600-million-people-in-africa-10291826.html

Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by NeduLuiZ(m): 1:44pm On Jun 05, 2015
People giving back to the society that made them. Naija celebs would rather be a bad influence and insult the public

Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by haul: 10:30am On Jun 06, 2015
Cc Lalasticlala
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 06, 2015
See better celeb

Not only that he has helped alot of nigerian artist too
Akon is doing good at least he gives back .

Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 06, 2015
I have load of respect for the man. cool
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jun 06, 2015
rokiatu:
I hve load of respect for the man. cool
Yeeeeehhhh! shz online! grin
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by Pennywise(m): 2:00pm On Jun 06, 2015
Akon is a serious individual. People shouldnt diminish him by making outlandish claims like this. If he is behind it, then he must be trying to dupe someone.
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jun 06, 2015
Neroze:
Yeeeeehhhh! shz online! grin
lol you are funny. How are you?
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 06, 2015
rokiatu:
lol you are funny. How are you?
Am ok goddess! missed u like kilode!
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jun 06, 2015
Neroze:
Am ok goddess! missed u like kilode!
Really? But I didn't missed you. grin just kidding. wink
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 06, 2015
rokiatu:
issokay goddess...I undastnd! can we get private? dunno.
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by hensben(m): 2:20pm On Jun 06, 2015
Akon is a legend.

see tuface, psquare and dbanj ask them who them help aside looking for already made people(either directly or indirectly) to associate with.
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by hensben(m): 2:22pm On Jun 06, 2015
rokiatu:
@emboldened, MISS not missed.

Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by robosky02(m): 8:54pm On Jun 06, 2015
rokiatu:

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Rokiatu is back

how far
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by pbs4real(m): 5:30pm On Jun 07, 2015
rokiatu:
bin a while bae, i shldn't feign it,u ve really bin mis'dangry
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by Gurgle(f): 12:01am On Jul 02, 2015
haul:
By HELEN NIANIAS
Tuesday 02 June 2015

Despite being best known for making pop music, Akon's decided to give filling dancefloors a break in favour of bringing solar energy to people living in rural Africa.

The singer has decided to seriously diversify and set up charity Akon Lighting Africa in 2014.

The singer, who is of Senegalese-American descent, has recently opened a Solar Academy as part of his effort to bring electricity to 600 million people in rural communities across Africa.

Located in Bamako, Mali, the academy's aim is to help engineers produce solar power.

The organisation states that the continent averages 320 days of sunshine a year.

Samba Baithily, who co-founded Akon Lighting Africa with Akon and Thione Niang, told Reuters:
"We have the sun and innovative technologies to bring electricity to homes and communities. We now need to consolidate African expertise."

"We expect the Africans who graduate from this center to devise new, innovative, technical solutions," said Niang.

"With this Academy, we can capitalize on Akon Lighting Africa and go further."

So think about that next time 'Locked Up' comes on.

www.independent.co.uk/news/people/akon-is-bringing-electricity-to-600-million-people-in-africa-10291826.html

[size=24pt]can somebody help me? why is it saying this? :

You cannot do that right now. Please try again in a few hours.

Sorry, you can't post in this section yet. Please try again in a week or so.

[/size]
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by haul: 12:07am On Jul 02, 2015
Gurgle:

[size=24pt]can somebody help me? why is it saying this? :

You cannot do that right now. Please try again in a few hours.

Sorry, you can't post in this section yet. Please try again in a week or so.

[/size]

Do I look like a mod? Anyway reloading few minutes or close your browser,if this doesn't work then go fix yourself
Re: Akon Is Bringing Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa by inuma: 12:09pm On Feb 19, 2016
Hi Guys,

Thank You for all the good work you guys are doing here. I was lost but now am found. Please my Hubby is a UK citizen and would like to apply for a spouse visa and need your advise on the following;

1) Is it absolutely necessary for me to take the English Test as I am a graduate from a federal University in Nigeria.If Yes,where do I take the test and how much.

2)Can Hubby pay for the Visa Fee from The UK.

3) Is the health surcharge a must pay to get the visa

4) hubby is changing jobs and moving house next month will that affect our visa application in anyway?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Keep up the good work.

Popular Yoruba Actor Ajigijaga Died Today / An Amazing Art Of Celebrities Posing With Their Younger Self(pics) / PHOTOS: 2face And Pero Hang Out With Their Kids After Birthday Party