Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,373 members, 7,815,788 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

The 5 Most Abused Words & Phrases In Nigerian Pop Culture - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / The 5 Most Abused Words & Phrases In Nigerian Pop Culture (664 Views)

5 Most Popular Words Ever Used By Nigerians In 2016 (funny) / 10 Nigerian Phrases That Will Leave You Totally Confused / 17 Phrases That Will Confuse You If You’re Not Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The 5 Most Abused Words & Phrases In Nigerian Pop Culture by Mcwrath02: 9:59pm On Jun 07, 2015
for more awesome stuff, visit http://farabale.co/2015/06/07/the-5-most-abused-words-phrases-in-nigerian-pop-culture/

You know how the artist from that fairly known song is suddenly addressed with adjectives befitting; George Cloney, Beyonce or in our case Genevieve Nnaji and 2face Idibia? It is often absolutely cringe worthy. It just gets me thinking: Really? Why? ( even though every part of me wants to type WTF? )

In no particular order, these are the most over used and misappropriated words and phrases in our pop culture today;

Star – These days, it feels like all you need to be a star is: one or two red carpet appearances, a blogger friend to blow your trumpet and urhmm….. A struggling effort in music, acting, television and / or radio.

A- List – Don’t you just always wonder what makes an A-lister in Nigeria? Because it’s like every other person is one, hence the seeming difficulty in seeing through the blurred lines. Like, shouldn’t: talent, experience, appeal and (yes, style) count?

Super Star – I can honestly only think of two or three actors/musicians who can really pass for ‘super stars’ . But as usual, every body is one.

Brand Ambassador – Can we take it a step further and start calling them ‘spokespersons’ ? Because I am at my wit’s end with the now over used ‘Brand Ambassador’ .

Star Studded – Before I knew better, I’d hurriedly open any web link that says ‘…..Was A Star Studded Party’ just so to see the stars. Until, of course , my excitement always got dashed and shortened by who made up the ‘Star Studded Party’ .

Re: The 5 Most Abused Words & Phrases In Nigerian Pop Culture by Rosemary216(f): 10:47pm On Jun 07, 2015
Yeah... D first 1 z d most abused word!

(1) (Reply)

Smart Akpors / Who Did This ?? / Bible Quiz (#1000 Airtime For Winners)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.