Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Words We Often Pronounce Wrongly While We Were Young - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Words We Often Pronounce Wrongly While We Were Young (1208 Views)

Confession Time: Oya Swear That You Never Did Any Of This When You Were Young / Who Remember When We Were Young And You Will Be Like Sule Lets Yab Each Other / Caption This Photo; When We Were Young (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Words We Often Pronounce Wrongly While We Were Young by jahstech: 10:51am On Jun 08, 2015
Morning folks, I wonder the kind of inspiration on gets from the bathroom, little wonder Eureka had to run naked out of one, like seriously there need to be a kind of research on human behavior as it relates to bathrooms (lol).
Now onto the topic, was taking my bath this morning when some random thoughts came through my mind, I laughed while taking my bath, it is true, and it happens to everyone, there are some words you probably pronounced wrongly while you were young but later growing up you found out that they weren't so, here is my own list from what I could remember, you can add yours...

1) 'Atonic'-Bomb (lol) if you watch action movies like I used to while we were we young you would probably agree with me on this one, we watched movies like POW the escape, War without end, fifthy-fifthy, these are old movies, we used to call them war files, hence we used to play 'War Start', very funny, when Atomic bomb was mentioned we took it to be Atonic Bomb, hilarious.

2) Shock-Observer (lol) Just last semester here I corrected a mechanical engineering friend of mine who was preparing for his exams, while reading out loud I heard him say, Shock-Observer, I said guy that this is shock-absorber, not Shock-Observer, you won't believe this guy was arguing with me till we checked his test book to confirm..

3) Sam-board, another crazy one, anywhere we saw a Sign Post or Bill Board while growing up, we used to call it Sam-board, I don't know where that crazy pronunciation came from actually.

4) Upstair, you would here words like, the house na Upstair? Yes we were referring to a storey building. I don't know when only the staircase became the entire building.

5) Corro-Tar. Hmm, honestly a lot of people still call this thing Coal-Tar today, but the name is actually Asphalt. I think we got our idea from when those around us used to call it Coal-Tar, not knowing the actual name we came up with our version, Corro-Tar.

6) Avestos. Back in the days when aluminum roofing sheet wasn't common, our fathers were using Asbestos for roofing of their houses. Since we couldn't get the pronunciation right, we gave it our own name, Avestos.

7) Suka-way. Yes we were referring to that pit where all the waste went, instead of Suck-Away pit, and I think there is an English name for this, but I don't know for now

So that's my list, there are a host of others I can't remember, but add yours and let the fun continue
Re: Words We Often Pronounce Wrongly While We Were Young by CountDracula(m): 11:00am On Jun 08, 2015
grin
Re: Words We Often Pronounce Wrongly While We Were Young by Generalkorex(m): 11:15am On Jun 08, 2015
Salenser or so I mean exhaust pipe

1 Like

Re: Words We Often Pronounce Wrongly While We Were Young by jahstech: 11:51am On Jun 08, 2015
Generalkorex:
Salenser or so
I mean exhaust pipe
That's true, I remember it as well.
Re: Words We Often Pronounce Wrongly While We Were Young by Humblega(m): 12:02pm On Jun 08, 2015
Cotton........curtain
Re: Words We Often Pronounce Wrongly While We Were Young by 15thMonica: 1:01pm On Jun 08, 2015
pushi as in puss.y
Re: Words We Often Pronounce Wrongly While We Were Young by jahstech: 6:11pm On Jun 09, 2015
Cc lalasticlala
Re: Words We Often Pronounce Wrongly While We Were Young by aboyaji(m): 6:47pm On Jun 09, 2015
Guy, see that jeep. The 'shock observer ' dey high o

See Wetin dem write for that 'Sam board'

Chai, him don knack head for 'corro tar '

That 'sukaway' go spoil o. No d Jump on top am eh! !!

Guy, you see as the actor shoot every one, come throw boss that 'atonic bomb', every where come bust gbosa! !!

(1) (Reply)

TEST YOUR IQ With This Clue Game / A Must See Hilarious Photo / Nigerians With Awoof!!! Hillarious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.