Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,792 members, 7,851,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:01 AM

Travelling To Canada Part 8 - Travel (241) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 8 (1086303 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Gu2015: 12:59pm On Jul 24, 2015
@Arise O compatriot....nice testimony ...All dis funding Pple re chopping,so sad my school wasn't offering funding for my course.and I really wanted Saskatchewan province.infact I applied to only U of S and jst prayed to God
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Solo8(m): 1:04pm On Jul 24, 2015
SeraSera:

Wow, congrats! This is a very good story. I'll be sure to recommend the university to my pals in similar situation. One more question please: Did you have relevant work experience or professional certifications relating to your programme? Or what, in your opinion, do you think made your application successful?

It's pretty much demand. Carleton is a big popular school in Ontario, they get lots of applications. Centennial, in terms of college is also very popular and is in Toronto. Victoria doesn't share those same traits. Smart of you to pivot and look for something that worked. If you applied to UBC, they probably would have turned you down too.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by JannahGem: 1:08pm On Jul 24, 2015
Well done gurus in the house...

i did science laboratory technology( chemistry option) and finished with a cgpa of 3.34, I will like to apply for masters in chemistry. any hope? and which schools do you think will consider me

I checked mc gill university and they required a minimum cgpa of 2.7 in the last two years if study which is equivalent to what I have.

should I go ahead or consider a diploma.

thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by lakusi(m): 1:08pm On Jul 24, 2015
vikmeek:
Hello guyz.. I want to start processing my admission into University of Alberta, for Oct. 2016 school entry, MSc in Electrical and Electronics Engineering... What do i need to knw.. Am seeking for sponsorship since I made upward 4.00 in my undergraduate study.. Any hope

Bros dis ur UCalgary dey smehow o ... I had 4.10 CGPA n 4.54 in my last 2years, 7.50 IELTS, 1 year work experience, 3 recommendations i.e from a professor, a Ph.D holder and my supervisor at work (Telecoms) and I was denied admission (M.Sc ECE Fall 2015) cos I couldn't get a potential supervisor even though dey promised to pass my file round the professors.

N:B- 1. Getting a potential supervisor wasn't mandatory but if u don't get pls don't apply

2. Don't think about UAlberta as well

U can try your luck anyways cos your SOP might be way stronger and compelling than mine. I would advise you try Uregina though.

Allah's grace is the ultimate !!! cheesy
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Crich(f): 1:10pm On Jul 24, 2015
Gu2015:
@Arise O compatriot....nice testimony ...All dis funding Pple re chopping,so sad my school wasn't offering funding for my course.and I really wanted Saskatchewan province.infact I applied to only U of S and jst prayed to God
Hello dear. I just sent u a pm. If u don't get it, pls send me. I have questions. Thx
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by SeraSera(m): 1:24pm On Jul 24, 2015
Solo8:

It's pretty much demand. Carleton is a big popular school in Ontario, they get lots of applications. Centennial, in terms of college is also very popular and is in Toronto. Victoria doesn't share those same traits. Smart of you to pivot and look for something that worked. If you applied to UBC, they probably would have turned you down too.

Yes, very smart of him.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by lexyj123(f): 1:27pm On Jul 24, 2015
[quote author=ahyotomiwa post=36221521]@LEXYJ123....how far with ur application now?..as it bin dispatched?[/qu

Hello Ayo, i just tracked my application now but the response is that my application has been dispatched to the VAC office on 22/07/2015.

i received medical mail on July 3rd. did medical on july 9th.

what do you think?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by AriseOCompatrot: 1:31pm On Jul 24, 2015
Solo8:

Well, as far as I am concerned, Carleton and Centennial can stick their popularity up their rectal cavities grin The salary one can earn with an MBA from UVic is much more than what is earnable with all the degrees in Centennial put together (pun intended) tongue Not to talk of the 3 years PGWP that's obtainable after the MBA compared to just 1 year PGWP that would have been obtainable if any of those "Popular" schools had given me admission. Feel free to attribute it to the demand factor, I attribute it to the God factor anytime anyday!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Gu2015: 1:37pm On Jul 24, 2015
AriseOCompatrot:

Well, as far as I am concerned, Carleton and Centennial can stick their popularity up their rectal cavities grin The salary one can earn with an MBA from UVic is much more than what is earnable with all the degrees in Centennial put together (pun intended) tongue Not to talk of the 3 years PGWP that's obtainable after the MBA compared to just 1 year PGWP that would have been obtainable if any of those "Popular" schools had given me admission. Feel free to attribute it to the demand factor, I attribute it to the God factor anytime anyday!
yes oh,Bt pls do u hv work experience .want to encourage my cousin to apply.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by vikmeek: 1:41pm On Jul 24, 2015
lakusi:

Bros dis ur UCalgary dey smehow o ... I had 4.10 CGPA n 4.54 in my last 2years, 7.50 IELTS, 1 year work experience, 3 recommendations i.e from a professor, a Ph.D holder and my supervisor at work (Telecoms) and I was denied admission (M.Sc ECE Fall 2015) cos I couldn't get a potential supervisor even though dey promised to pass my file round the professors.

N:B- 1. Getting a potential supervisor wasn't mandatory but if u don't get pls don't apply

2. Don't think about UAlberta as well

U can try your luck anyways cos your SOP might be way stronger and compelling than mine. I would advise you try Uregina though.

Allah's grace is the ultimate !!! cheesy

Thanks Bro for that.. Now.. I have a colleague who did his PhD at U of A, he is working there now, he wil be helping me out in terms of getting a Supervisor, the process is to Identify any Prof dat has d same research focus with urs, den write to him.. D Supervisor will help u get funding if u got upward 4.00, b4 u now apply for admission which closes Dec 1 every year
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by awijaylin: 1:41pm On Jul 24, 2015
Good day all, i am very new to this forum just heard about it yesterday when i went for my medicals at IOM Ikeja.
i'm having a bit of a challenge and i was hoping someone could help me out. So here it goes, i got a mail to go for my medicals on the 13th of this month and dint do it until yesterday and it requires 14 days for the result to get to CIC, so i'm just wondering if all is going to play out well. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by SeraSera(m): 1:46pm On Jul 24, 2015
SeraSera:

Wow, congrats! This is a very good story. I'll be sure to recommend the university to my pals in similar situation. One more question please: Did you have relevant work experience or professional certifications relating to your programme? Or what, in your opinion, do you think made your application successful?

@AriseOCompatrot, can you please respond to this.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by AriseOCompatrot: 2:02pm On Jul 24, 2015
Gu2015:
yes oh,Bt pls do u hv work experience .want to encourage my cousin to apply.

Yes I do, some MBAs will waive work experience though. The average work experience for most MBAs is 2-3 years. If your cousin does not have work experience don't let that dissuade him/her. The person just has to spend a lot of time doing a detailed enough search for which universities have requirements that play to the person's strengths. The saying goes "if you have 24 hours to cut a tree, spend 23 hours sharpening the cutlass and just 1 hour cutting the tree". If your cousin needs some help in searching for the right school, I can volunteer some of my time for that.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by LOVINA1245: 2:04pm On Jul 24, 2015
Gu2015:
sorry to say Bt go to CIC website nd read Abt upfront Medicals before U come here and discourage Pple abt it.i stand to b corrected

she's not discouraging, she's simply advising. doing med does not guarantee trv. If you can bear the risk, all well and good.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by AriseOCompatrot: 2:06pm On Jul 24, 2015
awijaylin:
Good day all, i am very new to this forum just heard about it yesterday when i went for my medicals at IOM Ikeja.
i'm having a bit of a challenge and i was hoping someone could help me out. So here it goes, i got a mail to go for my medicals on the 13th of this month and dint do it until yesterday and it requires 14 days for the result to get to CIC, so i'm just wondering if all is going to play out well. Thanks.

You were at IOM yesterday? What number (entrance tag) were you?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Gu2015: 2:14pm On Jul 24, 2015
LOVINA1245:

she's not discouraging, she's simply advising. doing med does not guarantee trv. If you can bear the risk, all well and good.
we all knw dat doing upfront Medicals doesn't guarantee TRV,it's even started on CIC....d part of most pple who do upfront medicals get dalayed Pls were did dat fact nd figure come from, It sounds discouraging for a first timer reading it....as for pple like me i hv my TRV so no fears...I stand to b corrected grin
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by awijaylin: 2:26pm On Jul 24, 2015
i was tag number 011
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 24, 2015
AriseOCompatrot:

Yes I do, some MBAs will waive work experience though. The average work experience for most MBAs is 2-3 years. If your cousin does not have work experience don't let that dissuade him/her. The person just has to spend a lot of time doing a detailed enough search for which universities have requirements that play to the person's strengths. The saying goes "if you have 24 hours to cut a tree, spend 23 hours sharpening the cutlass and just 1 hour cutting the tree". If your cousin needs some help in searching for the right school, I can volunteer some of my time for that.

1. What was your average GPA in the last 4 semesters of undergrad?

2. How strong were your recommendations (Recommenders' s profiles)?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by TheBae: 2:37pm On Jul 24, 2015
I did my medicals 10 days after my medical mail. It doesn't affect anything as long as it's within 14 days
awijaylin:
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by lakusi(m): 2:37pm On Jul 24, 2015
vikmeek:

Thanks Bro for that.. Now.. I have a colleague who did his PhD at U of A, he is working there now, he wil be helping me out in terms of getting a Supervisor, the process is to Identify any Prof dat has d same research focus with urs, den write to him.. D Supervisor will help u get funding if u got upward 4.00, b4 u now apply for admission which closes Dec 1 every year

Now I get the drift ... U have an insider ... U r good to go den !!!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by hayqinsbFX: 2:43pm On Jul 24, 2015
When did u apply? Aand what route?
awijaylin:
i was tag number 011
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by awijaylin: 2:46pm On Jul 24, 2015
I applied via vfs last month.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by AriseOCompatrot: 2:46pm On Jul 24, 2015
SeraSera:

Work Experience: Frankly everyone who has graduated from university and done NYSC can claim work experience. This is quite an extreme example but...even selling gala on the street is work experience, you just have to know how to package the description.

Professional Certification: I have a certification in project management. I honestly do not know if this had any influence in the admission decision. Project management doesn't teach any form of Finance or Accounts or Economics, which are all crucial for Business Administration degrees. I sha included the certification.

Successful Application: Sincerely, i'm not the "spiritual" or "spooky" type but I'd be foolish not to acknowledge the favour of God being the final influencer in my application. But then again, favour is when opportunity meets preparation. I really, really, really prepared for the application to that university. The two most important factors in any admission decision are the References and the SOPs. And since everybody is likely to ask for reference only from people who will give them positive reviews, that swings the needle of importance more towards SOP. I spent about one week writing the two essays for that application

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by AriseOCompatrot: 2:50pm On Jul 24, 2015
awijaylin:
i was tag number 011

Pink long sleeve shirt correct?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by kol1234: 2:51pm On Jul 24, 2015
Hello

Anyone traveling 10th aug, Egyptair to calgary?

Any U of Alberta student here?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by hayqinsbFX: 2:51pm On Jul 24, 2015
What date lastmonth?
What program did u apply for
awijaylin:
I applied via vfs last month.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by kennykentipsy: 2:57pm On Jul 24, 2015
awijaylin:

IOM sends results IMMEDIATELY so I was told by the female dr who did my physical examination test. and I got approval 3 working days after test
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by LOVINA1245: 2:57pm On Jul 24, 2015
wait self, please is it not possible for one to go via ship to canada? this 1 that flight cost is so high... I'm tired of searching ....

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by LOVINA1245: 3:01pm On Jul 24, 2015
kennykentipsy:

IOM sends results IMMEDIATELY so I was told by the female dr who did my physical examination test. and I got approval 3 working days after test

3 keee? mine was d following evening oooo
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by standupguy(m): 3:12pm On Jul 24, 2015
AriseOCompatrot:

Bro you are way out of line with most of your assumptions.
Firstly the fastest way to enter Canadian workforce is with a college degree, Msc wages tend to be higher but with your 2-3yrs work experience in Nigeria which is equivalent to zero to the Canadian employer, after your Msc in Canada you will be completing for jobs with mostly people to 35-50 with not less than 10yrs Canadian work experience.

Secondly Canada don't discrminate certificates among there publicly funded institutions and finally PGWP is not insititution dependent.

4 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by SeraSera(m): 3:12pm On Jul 24, 2015
AriseOCompatrot:

Work Experience: Frankly everyone who has graduated from university and done NYSC can claim work experience. This is quite an extreme example but...even selling gala on the street is work experience, you just have to know how to package the description.

Professional Certification: I have a certification in project management. I honestly do not know if this had any influence in the admission decision. Project management doesn't teach any form of Finance or Accounts or Economics, which are all crucial for Business Administration degrees. I sha included the certification.

Successful Application: Sincerely, i'm not the "spiritual" or "spooky" type but I'd be foolish not to acknowledge the favour of God being the final influencer in my application. But then again, favour is when opportunity meets preparation. I really, really, really prepared for the application to that university. The two most important factors in any admission decision are the References and the SOPs. And since everybody is likely to ask for reference only from people who will give them positive reviews, that swings the needle of importance more towards SOP. I spent about one week writing the two essays for that application

Thanks for your response. And congrats once again.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by JannahGem: 3:20pm On Jul 24, 2015
JannahGem:
Well done gurus in the house...

i did science laboratory technology( chemistry option) and finished with a cgpa of 3.34, I will like to apply for masters in chemistry. any hope? and which schools do you think will consider me

I checked mc gill university and they required a minimum cgpa of 2.7 in the last two years if study which is equivalent to what I have.

should I go ahead or consider a diploma.

thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (401)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 / General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.