Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? (3079 Views)

People Who Speak In Tongues Are More Emotionally Stable-NY Times / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Infomizer(m): 5:21am On Feb 22, 2009
I have read the pentecost story in the book of Acts of the Apostles (chapter 2)and when i got to verse 4, I got confused because the bible said ", began to talk in other languages, ". To the best of my knowledge, i feel that this means that religious men from other parts of the world (Egypt,Asia, Judaea,Arabia e.e.c) that were present in Jerusalem as at then heard the disciples speaking their own various languages(verse 11). I have observed that when people speak in tongues nowadays, they tend to do it in a particular format/manner which i believe is not representing any language. From the passage, i can conclude that as an Igbo guy, when the spirit comes upon me, then i'd be speaking in zulu or some other language. Am i right?, I need your corrections o!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:51am On Feb 22, 2009
I want to hear this one for myself, oya make una come explain,
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Aleksey: 11:04am On Feb 22, 2009
Good question; When you speak in tongues, you are supposed to utter a lot of mambo jumbo which everyone around understands in there native language; but these days no one ever knows what is been said. Click here
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by bestcomm(m): 8:13pm On Feb 22, 2009
Guy i think say na only me dey see this thing oooooo, they now make it mandatory that one should speak in tongues wey i no dey here in one particular church name witheld.
Abeg helep me tell them say waiting dem dey yarn me no understand coz they are just making some one look like fool wen u are with them.

One luv man
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by chibaby5(f): 8:22pm On Feb 22, 2009
@topic

4rm ma own understanding, i think speakin in tongues is nt necessarily sum nxt oda language. its a manner of speaking when the holyspirit comes upon a person and only sum1 filled wid da holyspirit or has the Gift of interpretations of tongues can translate wat da person actually sed. Ama hv 2 do more research on ds topic still n get bk if i can. . . .God bless
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Bobbyaf(m): 8:46pm On Feb 22, 2009
I have read the pentecost story in the book of Acts of the Apostles (chapter 2)and when i got to verse 4, I got confused because the bible said ", began to talk in other languages, ". To the best of my knowledge, i feel that this means that religious men from other parts of the world (Egypt,Asia, Judaea,Arabia e.e.c) that were present in Jerusalem as at then heard the disciples speaking their own various languages(verse 11). I have observed that when people speak in tongues nowadays, they tend to do it in a particular format/manner which i believe is not representing any language. From the passage, i can conclude that as an Igbo guy, when the spirit comes upon me, then i'd be speaking in zulu or some other language. Am i right?, I need your corrections o!

Exactly! Tongue-speaking today isn't based on the teaching or practice of NT Christians. I am not quite sure how to explain it, and at the risk of seeming to graphic, I believe there is some other factor involved in the whole mechanism. If we are using the bible as a standard of truth and practice, then something is wrong.

I have been to quite a few Pentecostal meetings, and there is hardly a difference in format. As soon as the main service finishes, and the tarry service begins, hell breaks loose. Its nothing but confusion. Everyone is speaking in what is called tongues, and no regard is paid to scriptures, concerning the purpose of the gift.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Image123(m): 9:09pm On Feb 22, 2009
@Infomizer
Actually in the scriptures,there's what is called tongues of men,then there's what is called tongues of angels.There's also what is called groaning in Spirit and there's what is called the gift of tongues.They are all of the same Spirit though varying manifestations.Of coursse,we are all aware that there are fakes and devil's remixes of ALL the gifts,that's why we should test every spirit and the usefulness of the display.Is it for edification and is it from God.Don't get carried away with gifts.Strive for purity.The devil can live with gifts and con people with gifts,but he go try with purity
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by SirJohn(m): 9:42pm On Feb 22, 2009
Image123:

@Infomizer
[b]Actually in the scriptures,there's what is called tongues of men,then there's what is called tongues of angels.There's also what is called groaning in Spirit and there's what is called the gift of tongues.[/b]They are all of the same Spirit though varying manifestations.Of coursse,we are all aware that there are fakes and devil's remixes of ALL the gifts,that's why we should test every spirit and the usefulness of the display.Is it for edification and is it from God.Don't get carried away with gifts.Strive for purity.The devil can live with gifts and con people with gifts,but he go try with purity

@Image123
Kindly explain how these gifts you mentioned differ
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Image123(m): 10:12pm On Feb 22, 2009
@SirJohn
tongues of men is the speaking in tongues in languages that other people can understand.You may not necessarily know what you're saying and it may be a one off thing.
tongues of angels is speaking in language that communicate direct with heaven.Its usually edifying the speaker and glorifying Christ.TThe people around do not understand it.
Groaning in Spirit is what it is basically.Groaning.Its usually an intercessory form of prayer i.e on behalf of others known/unknown.Its quite serious as it involves saving life/lives
gift of tongues is what it is.Gift.Its different from the initial experience of speaking in tongues after the baptism of the Spirit.It is more frequent

I hope this could help you a little.Please,as I said they are all manifestations of the Spirit,not some man made act.Some people over time see others manifest this gifts and end up copying them until they could actually be deludthinking they possess the manifestations.The best thing is to live a life that pleases God and to be surrendered to God the Spirit to use you to manifest the gifts,not the vice versa
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Feb 22, 2009
Image123:

@SirJohn
tongues of men is the speaking in tongues in languages that other people can understand.You may not necessarily know what you're saying and it may be a one off thing.
tongues of angels is speaking in language that communicate direct with heaven.Its usually edifying the speaker and glorifying Christ.TThe people around do not understand it.
Groaning in Spirit is what it is basically.Groaning.Its usually an intercessory form of prayer i.e on behalf of others known/unknown.Its quite serious as it involves saving life/lives
gift of tongues is what it is.Gift.Its different from the initial experience of speaking in tongues after the baptism of the Spirit.It is more frequent

the above are your own explanations. Do you have a biblical basis for this?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Bobbyaf(m): 11:48pm On Feb 22, 2009
@ davidylan

the above are your own explanations. Do you have a biblical basis for this?

You took the words out of my mouth. grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by AKO1(m): 8:56am On Feb 23, 2009
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Image123(m): 1:00pm On Feb 23, 2009
@davidylan and bobbyaf
Do you have a biblical basis against this?Please,lets hear it if you do.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by ow11(m): 8:28pm On Feb 23, 2009
Image123:

@davidylan and bobbyaf

So if they do not provide a biblical basis then your definitions are correct, eh? OR shouldn't it be the other way round?

People like this regurgitated nonsense from new age pastors and tout is as truth and when asked for a biblical basis, they start going on the offense. undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Image123(m): 10:53pm On Feb 23, 2009
Do unto others as you want them to do unto you,thats love.If you can help please answer the questions
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by SirJohn(m): 6:31am On Feb 24, 2009
Image123:

@SirJohn

I hope this could help you a little.Please,as I said they are all manifestations of the Spirit,not some man made act.Some people over time see others manifest this gifts and end up copying them until they could actually be deludthinking they possess the manifestations.The best thing is to live a life that pleases God and to be surrendered to God the Spirit to use you to manifest the gifts,not the vice versa

I'm sure apostle Paul will have a good laugh if he was alive to see what you wrote here grin grin grin grin. I advice you study the subject without bias; its obvious you just spewed out what you have heard off several pulpits and publications.
I'm very much interested in the 'tongues of men'; how come we don't see it in operation anywhere among the charismatics? its always the same gibberish you hear everywhere. I'm sure its the same thing you speak Image123:
"raba shakatalahaya, mando groshe, balaronsky latarabadoshka, eidosonshka laribonda lahate"
what other manifestation of tongues have you seen apart from this gibberish??

2 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:58am On Feb 24, 2009
@ Image 123

@davidylan and bobbyaf

David will have to answer you on that, but as for me I do, but we were hoping to hear yours first for the definitions you gave the forum. We need for you to furnish some references to support your definitions.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:03am On Feb 24, 2009
@ Sir John

I'm sure apostle Paul will have a good laugh if he was alive to see what you wrote here Grin Grin Grin Grin. I advice you study the subject without bias; its obvious you just spewed out what you have heard off several pulpits and publications.
I'm very much interested in the 'tongues of men'; how come we don't see it in operation anywhere among the charismatics? its always the same gibberish you hear everywhere. I'm sure its the same thing you speak Image123:
"raba shakatalahaya, mando groshe, balaronsky latarabadoshka, eidosonshka laribonda lahate"
what other manifestation of tongues have you seen apart from this gibberish??

I second that! grin Besides, how have they come to associate "tongues of angels" with what is manifested in most of their churches, when I doubt if they have ever heard an angel speak before.

As you are aware tongues simply mean languages, and languages were meant to be understood as Paul hinted at in 1 Corinthians 14.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by SincereHRT: 8:05am On Feb 24, 2009
Apply wisdom, @ poster, speaking in tongues shouldn't be formulated as decribed. It's been spoken according to d uterance from & in d Holyspirit. Speaking in tongues, is not another man's language BUT someone somewhere can understand part of those uterance. Lastly, ur speaking in tongues has to carry spiritual powers & strenght esp when be uttered. But i must say, many're getting it wrong.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Image123(m): 12:20pm On Feb 24, 2009
@SirJohn
you seem to be under some sort of bitterness and pride.You're carrying it over to me.you do not need to be bitter against me or anybody for that matter.Just let it go and live a life that pleases God.You're asserting things that you do not know.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by KunleOshob(m): 12:29pm On Feb 24, 2009
Image123:

@SirJohn
you seem to be under some sort of bitterness and pride.You're carrying it over to me.you do not need to be bitter against me or anybody for that matter.Just let it go and live a life that pleases God.You're asserting things that you do not know.
On the contrary you are the one who as usual is asserting what lacks biblical basis.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Image123(m): 12:39pm On Feb 24, 2009
Why are you all on the edge over nothing?someone asked a question and I try to help,and instead odf you to offer to help,all you do is find a reason to argue with me.why don't you understand my speech.If you have issues with people that speak in tongues,whether real or fake,then go meet them.
Informizer asked a question and the idea of his question and the answers he was getting was that tongues are meant to be some other human language.maybe italian,swahili,russian,pidgin or whatever.i only chipped in that it doesn't necessarily have to be other people's language and I said it could be in other forms.Here's my post quoted below
@Infomizer
Actually in the scriptures,there's what is called tongues of men,then there's what is called tongues of angels.There's also what is called groaning in Spirit and there's what is called the gift of tongues.They are all of the same Spirit though varying manifestations.Of coursse,we are all aware that there are fakes and devil's remixes of ALL the gifts,that's why we should test every spirit and the usefulness of the display.Is it for edification and is it from God.Don't get carried away with gifts.Strive for purity.The devil can live with gifts and con people with gifts,but he go try with purity
My point is that just because someone next to you is speaking in tongues and it doesn't sound like hausa,that doesn't automatically mean that it is false.of course it could be false but it could also be real.If you've not experienced something before,that doesn't mean that it does not happen
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Image123(m): 1:19pm On Feb 24, 2009
@all
I have continually said that these tongues or languages as someone called it are all of the same Spirit.from the same God.Well then,since some have insisted that I produce bible,then i would.I just don't hope to get into unnecessary arguments.First I must say that most of the gifts of the Spirit are listed in the Bible,not explained but we can easily recognise them when we see them or at least know that this is similar or this is the fake of the real.U get.Now wen we are asking to hear our languages in tongue speaking,that would be difficult except maybe we're in the midst of strangers.Like for example,if someone was speaking in tongues in igbo language in lagos,its not likely to be a sign to many.Some could just imagine that maybe this person previously had a knowledge of the language.Tongues of men are for signs.And the gifts are a manifestation of the Spirit.In my little healthy church,you might nt see the manifestation of the gift of healing cos there's almost no need for it.Not because the Spirit of God is not around but because he gives what is needed.What He gives doesn't have to be called fake or wrong because its not what we expected.Because you're not hearing russian is probably because there's no need for it.It doesn't make it fake or new age.Like I said,it could be fake.In 1Corinthians 13,we see Paul talk about the tongues of men and of angels.The chapter is about Love greater than gifts so obviously,he is refring to the gift of tongues of men and of angels.
1Corinth 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Corinth 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
1Corinth14v2's tongue is not understood by man but by God.Thats what i explained earlier as tongues of angels.

Come over to verse21 of 1corinthians14
1Corinth 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
1Corinth 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
This refers to an understandable kind of tongues,like the ones heard at Pentecost.Acts2v4
Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Act 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
Act 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
Act 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
Act 2:12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

This above is the one that I said tongues of men,that was talked of in 1Corinthans13
Now on gift of tongues,I said earlier that it is different from the initial experience of speaking in tongues after the baptism of the Spirit.It is more frequent.It is a gift.Everybody that is baptised in the Spirit speaks with/in tongues at first but not all continue.
1Corinth 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1Corinth 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Corinth 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1Corinth 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet show I unto you a more excellent way.

AND
1Corinth 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Corinth 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Corinth 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Corinth 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

Above all,do not abuse the gifts if you have them.Be clean and pure,thats what really counts in heaven.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by ttalks(m): 5:32pm On Feb 24, 2009
1Corinth 13:1  Though I speak with the[b] tongues of men and of angels[/b], and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Corinth 14:2  For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

@image123

The tongues here(1 Corinthian 13:1) refer to both tongues of men and angels;not just tongues of angels.
The fact that it was mentioned that "no man understandeth him"(1 Corinthians 14:2) does not mean that the tongues could not be understood/interpreted by any man;that was limited to the immediate gathering where the tongues were being uttered.That was why Paul advised that it was better that we prophesy than speak in tongues that people in the immediate gathering would not understand which would not edify anyone but the speaker.

There is nothing like tongues of angels among men.If u read the whole of 1 Corinthians 13,u'll see that most of the things stated were said to buttress a point;it did not mean that those things could be done.For example:

1Co 13:1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3  And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Paul mentioned speaking the tongues of angels but did not mean he coud speak it.
He mentioned understandng all mysteries and all knowledge but did not understand all mysteries and all knowledge.
He mentioned giving his body to be burned, but we know he never did this.

All those points were mentioned to buttress a point.
They were "What if" statements.

Look at the same portion in the CEV Bible:

1Co 13:1  What if I could speak all languages of humans and of angels? If I did not love others, I would be nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
1Co 13:2  What if I could prophesy and understand all secrets and all knowledge? And what if I had faith that moved mountains? I would be nothing, unless I loved others.
1Co 13:3  What if I gave away all that I owned and let myself be burned alive? I would gain nothing, unless I loved others.

Now on gift of tongues,I said earlier that it is different from the initial experience of speaking in tongues after the baptism of the Spirit.It is more frequent.It is a gift.Everybody that is baptised in the Spirit speaks with/in tongues at first but not all continue.

Being baptised with the Holy Spirit occurs when one is born again.But it is not automatic or a must that one must speak in tongues when baptised with the Holy Spirit.One can be baptised with the Holy Spirit and not speak in tongues.That is obvious in:

Act 8:35  Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
Act 8:36  And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
Act 8:37  And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Act 8:38  And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Act 8:39  And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

The Eunuch became born again and definitely was baptized with the Holy Spirit before the water baptism took place.There is no record of him breaking into tongues.
I just said this because some people believe that it is a must for a born again person to break into tongues once he is baptised with the Holy Spirit.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Image123(m): 6:13pm On Feb 24, 2009
hmmmmm.thanks for sharing
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:27pm On Feb 24, 2009
@ ttalks

Very well explained my friend. The idea that an angelic tongue means that Christians are communicating with God directly and privately is absurd to the nth degree. It is so nonsensical and baseless that I cringe at the thought of the idea.

There has been only one gift of tongues, or languages, which was first manifested at Pentecost when the disciples were able to speak other languages while speaking Hebrew. The emphasis was on what the hearers heard as in the case of the diasporic Jews who had come to Jerusalem to celebrate the feast of the passover and Pentecost all at once.

Back then there was a language barrier that had to be broken if the gospel were to be fully effective, but the disciples had no time to learn all languages, and received the gift naturally.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by SirJohn(m): 6:28pm On Feb 24, 2009
@ttalks
good one, especially on the 'tongues of angels' coz this is where charismatics miss the whole stuff.

@Image123
ttalks has replied you on my behalf; I hope it is well understood?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by huxley(m): 6:43pm On Feb 24, 2009
Watch Pastor Chris speaking in Mongolian here
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Papa(m): 12:21am On Feb 25, 2009
SirJohn:

First of all @SirJohn you are such a hilarious and extraordinary fellow! You will certainly make excellent company for uplifting a friend when he's sad - I had a [b]VERY [/b]good laugh on that one,

The tongues of men - where people speak in another language they don't understand, but is yet intelligible to people that speak that language - certainly manifests today. This couple had to preach in a Nigerian village where few if not no one, understood english - which happened to be the only other language they could speak. The wife got up and started preaching in english; it was evident the people couldn't understand. The husband was really not feeling it - so he decided to boldly go up and speak in tongues as though he was interpreting his wife in tongues. He just trusted that the Holy Spirit would if not through words, then through expressions, explain to the people. They had no idea what they were doing, but little did this couple know that the man had been speaking the native language fluently. People got saved at that meeting!

More commonly, from some of those meetings where you talk about "mongolian-speaking" pastors, I have heard - LIVE - for myself - testimonies of real people I've met who heard the preacher talking about their situation, but we watch the video and again - just like you - we seem to hear mongolian! But that fellow already got blessed for the exact moment she was supposed to have received the word!

See the Holy Spirit has an inexplicable way He communicates individually to people. So, I'd rather say to people, tune in, than tune out - it just maybe your life's success secret in the next mongolian [/i]phrase!

I could very easily defend one pastor or the other, but I won't waste time on that, I'll just stick to the universal team of the Holy Spirit!

With the tongues of angels believe me, I am a LIVING WITNESS with COUNTLESS testimonies! It works! Many times like magic!

I like to think of it this way - using the way you like to call it: see, the same way the Holy Spirit can communicate to an [i]english-only
-speaking person through the [i]mongolian [/i]the rest of us don't understand, is the same way he lets us communicate intelligibly with him through the [i]mongolian [/i]others (even ourselves) sometimes won't understand

MY FIRST EXPERIENCE:
I was at a church when the pastor gave a word of prophecy that angels (especially in the form of people we don't know) will come to us and offer to give us money for absolutely nothing. Not long after, his wife explained in another teaching that we can instruct the angels in tongues to speed up the occurence - THE TRUTH IS: You may not even know if or when you've given the instruction or not - but the Holy Spirit who loves you more than you can ever love yourself will put the accurate [i]mongolian [/i]words that mean exactly that - AT THE RIGHT TIME - in your mouth.

And this is why we are encouraged with every opportunity we have, to speak in tongues, you never know when the words buried in your spirit - at a particular moment - are for you!

Anyway, I did speak in tongues as much as possible that week - THE VERY NEXT SUNDAY - I was at a completely different church where people are against what the previous church believe - after church, some brother shows up (he's a deacon I learnt), and till today can't explain it. He walks up to me and put the equivalent of 5,250 naira in foreign currency in my hands and says ", 'THEY' said I should give you!" He still doesn't know who "they" are? I don't know who "they" are and no one can still explain otherwise who "they" are. 5250 naira in 2005!

This SAME - EXACT - incident took place MORE THAN ONCE!

THIS IS ONLY ONE! OUT OF MANY MANY MANY LIVE EXPERIENCES OF MINE!

See, God wants us to experience EVERY good thing His word has for us and more! I just believe what I find it in the word - because, it's not common that you receive what you don't believe - so I simply believe God and it works for me - you should try it sometime; I'd love to hear of how it works for you too!

Keep well my friend!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by SirJohn(m): 7:17am On Feb 25, 2009
Papa:

This couple had to preach in a Nigerian village where few if not no one, understood english - which happened to be the only other language they could speak. The wife got up and started preaching in english; it was evident the people couldn't understand. The husband was really not feeling it - so he decided to boldly go up and speak in tongues as though he was interpreting his wife in tongues. He just trusted that the Holy Spirit would if not through words, then through expressions, explain to the people. They had no idea what they were doing, but little did this couple know that the man had been speaking the native language fluently. People got saved at that meeting!

Not that I doubt the move of the Spirit okay, but can you please tell us exactly where in Nigeria this happened and probably the name of the ministers

Papa:

MY FIRST EXPERIENCE:
I was at a church when the pastor gave a word of prophecy that angels (especially in the form of people we don't know) will come to us and offer to give us money for absolutely nothing. Not long after, his wife explained in another teaching that we can instruct the angels in tongues to speed up the occurence - THE TRUTH IS: You may not even know if or when you've given the instruction or not - but the Holy Spirit who loves you more than you can ever love yourself will put the accurate [i]mongolian [/i]words that mean exactly that - AT THE RIGHT TIME - in your mouth.

And this is why we are encouraged with every opportunity we have, to speak in tongues,  you never know when the words buried in your spirit - at a particular moment - are for you!

Anyway, I did speak in tongues as much as possible that week - THE VERY NEXT SUNDAY - I was at a completely different church where people are against what the previous church believe - after church, some brother shows up (he's a deacon I learnt), and till today can't explain it. He walks up to me and put the equivalent of 5,250 naira in foreign currency in my hands and says ", 'THEY' said I should give you!" He still doesn't know who "they" are? I don't know who "they" are and no one can still explain otherwise who "they" are. 5250 naira in 2005!

This SAME - EXACT - incident took place MORE THAN ONCE!

THIS IS ONLY ONE! OUT OF MANY MANY MANY LIVE EXPERIENCES OF MINE!

See, God wants us to experience EVERY good thing His word has for us and more! I just believe what I find it in the word - because, it's not common that you receive what you don't believe - so I simply believe God and it works for me - you should try it sometime; I'd love to hear of how it works for you too!

Keep well my friend!

This is your EXPERIENCE like you rightly termed it; and I hope you know that no ones experience no matter how extraordinary can validate or invalidate Gods word. I have had similar experience and even more extraordinary ones but I didn't have to speak in tongues in any case. I'm sure there are nairalalnders too with the same story so my dear leave that matter.

these pastors will not cease to amaze me; why does it always have to be money all the time. I've heard pastors say stuffs like this on several occasions.
Your story sounds like what you'd hear in a christ embassy church  grin grin grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by SirJohn(m): 8:35am On Feb 25, 2009
Chris Oyakhilome once told his flock that he usually gets unusual deposits in his bank account; he found out later that it was angels depositing the money in the said account. Not long after his tale, his members and pastors started claiming to experience the same thing. He even went further to tell them that money is a spirit, infact an ÁNGEL and that when you speak in tongues, you are sending the angel called money on an assignment

Classical brainwashing if you ask me
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Are People Getting It Right? by Image123(m): 1:41pm On Feb 25, 2009
@Bobbyaf and SirJohn
what would you not give to win an argument.You very well know that what ttalks said is wrong,but simply because I sat back,you backed it up.Are you saying that you agree with what ttalks said?I need re-confirmation on this.thank God Davidylan is not showing such support as yet.
n.b.Its difficult explaining things to people who don't have it.If you had it,it would have been easier

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Watch Tb Joshua's Prophecy For 2012 / Are You Praying For The Fruit Of The Womb?or Having A Difficult Pregnancy? / Can You Prove That God Doesn't Exist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.