Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

I Want To Start A Travel Agency - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Want To Start A Travel Agency (23685 Views)

How To Start A Travel And Tour Service Business In Lagos Nigeria / Tangibles Tips Fro Setting Up A Travel Agency + Bus Transportation Outside The C / Any Idea About Opening A Travel Agency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Start A Travel Agency by Liz(f): 3:48pm On Sep 18, 2006
Cheap Air Tickets To And From Nigeria

Hello,

I am looking to start a travel agency for worldwide travel but with particular emphasis on Nigeria and other African countries. The operational bases will be in England and Nigeria initially with the main medium being the internet. The aim is to provide the cheapest airfares to the aforementioned destinations.

My intention to venture into this market has been informed by having to pay ridiculously high prices on airfare to Nigeria from England in the past. The plan is to have a little profit margin on each ticket but gain a massive customer base which i think makes good business sense.

I understand i would need to be IATA qualified or registered to buy directly from the airlines at really cheap prices.

Another easier and less capital intensive option would be for me to buy from IATA qualified bulk agents and then resell. I am more inclined to take this option. However i am having difficulty locating or contacting any bulk agents who can give me a reasonably low price so i can pass on the savings to my potential customers.

Does any one know any bulk agents that offer cheap tickets to resellers? Has anyone ventured into this in the past? I would greatly appreciate some pointers.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by Akolawole(m): 2:33am On Sep 20, 2006
It is not as easy as you perceive it to be.

Getting an IATA only allows you to hook up to the Datase of Airlines DOES NOT GUARANTEE AIRLINES WILL GIVE YOU STOCKS.

IATA give one a step then your bank has to give you a bank guarantee to be presented to the Airlines which they may accept or reject.

By and large, its an interesting business.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by chumas(m): 3:53am On Sep 20, 2006
Liz, I think this is a good idea. I have soomething similar in mind but on a different direction. Let's keep talking and we'll see what happens.

Chuma.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by Liz(f): 1:38pm On Sep 20, 2006
Thanks for your replies guys!

@ Akolawole

Do you know what criteria the airlines use to determine the distribution of the tickets to travel agencies?

@Chumas

How far have you gone with it. Have you encountered similar problems as I have? Lets share our experience.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by Akolawole(m): 2:00pm On Sep 20, 2006
Liz:

Thanks for your replies guys!

@ Akolawole

Do you know what criteria the airlines use to determine the distribution of the tickets to travel agencies?

1) The company must be a limited liability company.

2) Must be IATA

3) Would have to submit Article of association et al to Abuja CAC and the Airlines.

4) Bank Guarantee letter
Some airlines may require 5 to 10 million naira guarantee.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by LoverBwoy(m): 4:12pm On Sep 20, 2006
subscribing

i hope you go through with this @ liz

i wanted to start do something like this on a part-time basis from the comfort of my room
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by temmytanny(m): 4:19pm On Sep 20, 2006
please,dont forget to come back and employ jobseekers here ooo(me for example) smiley

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by nico(m): 5:14pm On Sep 20, 2006
I think you should start small first
like starting travel agency for local airlines
who in turn will give u references to other Airlines.

one of my family Friends did his own like that.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by kentony(m): 5:24pm On Sep 21, 2006
I wish you the best!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by TheBrain1: 6:05pm On Sep 21, 2006
Hi Liz,

Have you asked yourself why tickets are expensive and why agents are not able to apply your strategy to their business?

It may be a starting point to proper assess the viability of your business plan.

Blessings all the same.

The Brain

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by ogbotobo(m): 11:47pm On Sep 23, 2006
Liz,
As long as most Airlines have no problems filling their seats with full fare paying (business-)customers on the Lagos international flights, I think you'll find it difficult to come up with substantial discounts on these routes. The same goes for domestic flights: AERO can easily charge 19.000 Naira for a one way ticket from Lagos to Warri, because they are the only ones flying this route, whereas the same airline charges you 10.000 for the much longer PHC to Lagos flight, where they are in competition with other airlines.
Anyhow, I wish you luck, and if you are successful, let me know: I'll be one of your clients.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by chumas(m): 2:50am On Sep 24, 2006
Liz, Sorry for the long delay in replying. Please contact me on chumamgbojikwe@yahoo.com

Thank you
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by hammah(m): 3:23am On Oct 06, 2006
Liz,try www.amadeus.net for some ideas about travel agency.Good idea,don't give up!for it's going to work.[email][/email][email][/email]
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by hammah(m): 3:29am On Oct 06, 2006
Liz,get back to me at hammahsmith@yahoo.com after visiting amadeus for more info.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by moosieh: 6:20pm On Nov 18, 2009
Hi Liz, if you're interested, there is an online travel agency at www.AfricanHospitality.com that allows registered travel agents (w/the CAC) to book hotel rooms online, and get up to a 15% discount below the rack rate.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by teenyyinka(f): 3:18pm On Nov 19, 2009
HI, DONT BE SCARED WITH ALL THE COMMENTS U HAVE READ, THE LOGIC BEHIND IT IS THAT THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO JOIN THE AVIATION TRAIN.
ALTHOUGH GETTING THE IATA LICENSE IS NOT THAT EASY, BUT IF YOU MEET UP WITH THE CRIETARIAL YOU WILL DEFINITELY GET THE LICENSE.

YOU CAN GO TO WWW.IATA.ORG FOR FULL INFO ON HOW TO BECOME A CERTIFY AGENT. AND IF YOU WANT TO BE BUYING UR TICKETS FROM AGENTS THAT HAS SOME AIRLINES STOCK U CAN GIVE ME A CALL ON 080 22555550
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by stillfly(m): 3:51pm On Nov 19, 2009
good idea.
but i remembered that a NBA star has already started the same business in the U.S in Sep. But i forgot their website.
good luck.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by Trends: 5:59am On Jan 12, 2010
Hello Liz, I am a lawyer  and one of my clients owns a travel agency that is IATA-licensed. If you seriously believe that you can operate this via an online platform and profitably too, then let's talk. Reach me at; wadiacorp@yahoo.com.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by adegade: 8:16pm On May 18, 2010
hmmm nice pieces of advice as i am thinking along that line too. Does anyo ne know hw much it'll cost to start up the business, please
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by duzz: 12:28pm On May 19, 2010
We offer turnkey online travel booking site like http://www.orbitz.com/ , http://www.travelocity.com/?IgnoreIpRedirect=yes etc complete end to end solution at $75,000
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by Guillo: 9:11pm On Aug 18, 2011
Have you done any research into how profitable such a thing may be? There are already a few really big websites that offer bulk ticket deals to end users, specializing in that. Even in South America, where most of my traveling experience was made, you can get ticket deals online from sites that operate in several countries. Not to mention deal sites (like Groupon) that may offer tickets as well. Seems to me that travel agencies these days need to offer a lot more than just airplane tickets. And even in that segment the competition is fierce. Just look at any Tourism directory on the web, and you'll find hundreds and thousands of small operations. And you'll also see a lot of dead links going to companies that have gone under.
If you are looking at such a specific niche, maybe you can market your venture as something other than strictly a travel agency? I'm sure there are other ways to get cheap tickets, since there are several non-travel agency companies that sell them.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by nwageo: 5:24am On Sep 28, 2011
Just like every other venture,there sure will be pitfalls,but if u're strong and committed,u'l scale 2ru.Be weary of too many advice, some may scare U.On d other hand it's good u hear it all.U can approach companys' like wakanow.com or other big agents and be their subagent,by so doing u can test d waters and understand how d biz works.Then u will be in a better position to know wether to move in fully or not.I too like d travel industry and may be going into one section or the other.For now,I wish u luck.
George. cool

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by gabmid(f): 7:41pm On Nov 23, 2012
[b]Does any one know any bulk agents that offer cheap tickets to resellers? Has anyone ventured into this in the past? I would greatly appreciate some pointers.

Thank you.

It is a good idea.I am a travel consultant and will be happy to discuss with u. Here is my Email - joannegift@yahoo.com
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by gabmid(f): 7:57pm On Nov 23, 2012
adegade: hmmm nice pieces of advice as i am thinking along that line too. Does anyo ne know hw much it'll cost to start up the business, please

It depend on how u want to start it. Send me a mail on joannegifta@yahoo.com when u are also ready.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by authecosta911(m): 12:24am On Nov 24, 2012
9ce thread.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by olempe(m): 11:50am On Jun 01, 2016
So bros how far? 10 years later, oya share ur testimony.
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by Priceless200(f): 1:23am On Nov 05, 2016
Hello all, did any of y'all finally got into this business? Any IATA registered one. I am looking at taking my freelance agency up a bit by doing international flights too directly with discounts. I need agencies to affiliate with. No money for IATA yet. Thank you

Olempe
authecosta911
Adegade
gabmid
Nwageo
Guillo
Trends
Duzz
stillfly
teenyyinka
Hammah
Chumas
moosieh
Liz
Akolawole
Thebrain1
ogbotobo
LoverBwoy
Nico
temmytanny
Kentony
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by blazer234: 7:49am On Nov 05, 2016
Good idea
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by blazer234: 8:14am On Nov 05, 2016
Ok
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by demosoft: 8:31am On Nov 05, 2016
Priceless200:
Hello all, did any of y'all finally got into this business? Any IATA registered one. I am looking at taking my freelance agency up a bit by doing international flights too directly with discounts. I need agencies to affiliate with. No money for IATA yet. Thank you

Olempe
authecosta911
Adegade
gabmid
Nwageo
Guillo
Trends
Duzz
stillfly
teenyyinka
Hammah
Chumas
moosieh
Liz
Akolawole
Thebrain1
ogbotobo
LoverBwoy
Nico
temmytanny
Kentony
hello contact me via my signature
Re: I Want To Start A Travel Agency by Traveltechno: 7:31am On Apr 04, 2017
QuadLabs provides end to end travel technology systems and software to travel intermediaries and agencies worldwide like India, Brazil, Dubai and Saudi Arabia.

for more information visit our site:- http://www.quadlabs.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where To Buy Newborn Items In Lagos / Photos : Customer Congest Banks As BVN Deadline Nears .. / ‘I Kiss My Husband Everyday’ – Folorunsho Alakija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.