Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? (2453 Views)

Difference In Religious Faith Regarding Marriages / Scientist Gerald Schroeder Demonstrates That God Has Been Proved By Science. / How Can A Scientist Believe Jesus Is God? Scientist John Lennox Answers In 3mins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 2:38pm On Jun 14, 2015
Here's an excerpt from an article I found online
If a God can change the rules of life, then how can you believe the rules governing your experiments won’t change from one day to the next?

This got me thinking hard as I love Science and I love my God but is it possible? I mean most atheists are those who have grasped vast knowledge to the extent of denying the existence of a Super Being.

Science tries to give proof to everything and anything, while Religion requires us to believe "by Faith" (though the bible explains so many mysteries which can only be decoded through the Holy Spirit)
So I ask! Can one be a scientist and still have a good relationship with God?

Healthy comments pls! Thanks!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by chiefolododo(m): 2:41pm On Jun 14, 2015
modern christian scientists should have no problem believing that God exist try and adjust
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by Beesluv: 2:52pm On Jun 14, 2015
Why not? Lawyers still have religious faith
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by Orunto: 7:41pm On Jun 14, 2015
The answer is Yes. Even very good scientists know that The Big Bang is God, The Faith, The Hope and our Life. As a scientist, believe in your life
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by Addietunes(m): 7:48pm On Jun 14, 2015
Dude, all u gotta do is to ask urself the true question, are u a christian, a Muslim, an atheist, or an agnostic person. My advice is do not sit on the fence, know who you are and stick to it. In my opinion, your question is like asking me if you can be a lawyer and an astronaut at the same time.
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 7:56pm On Jun 14, 2015
Addietunes:
Dude, all u gotta do is to ask urself the true question, are u a christian, a Muslim, an atheist, or an agnostic person. My advice is do not sit on the fence, know who you are and stick to it. In my opinion, your question is like asking me if you can be a lawyer and an astronaut at the same time.
I'm a christian...
Can I also be a scientist?

Dats my question!
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by Addietunes(m): 7:56pm On Jun 14, 2015
Orunto:
The answer is Yes. Even very good scientists know that The Big Bang is God, The Faith, The Hope and our Life. As a scientist, believe in your life

That's a lie bro, how can a scientist disregard one of the most significant rule in science which states that "energy can neither be created not destroyed". As a Christian this rule doesn't apply cos God created us all. The truth is this, the only way a Christian would claim to be a scientist is if the Christian is confused.

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by Addietunes(m): 7:59pm On Jun 14, 2015
RobinHez:

I'm a christian...

Dats my question!

You can't unless u wanna get yourself confused. U can be an agnostic person though, but not a scientist.
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 9:59pm On Jun 14, 2015
undecided
There are times when conflicts arise between Theory an Faith. How do i resolve such??
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by johnydon22(m): 1:49am On Jun 15, 2015
RobinHez:
undecided
There are times when conflicts arise between Theory an Faith. How do i resolve such??

Lol...low ba3. . . I will surely be back for this thread later.. smiley Interesting and promising.. GOOD QUESTION THO
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by Nobody: 2:58am On Jun 15, 2015
Ask JOHN HOPKINS

*modified* Sorry i meant "Oral roberts"
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by Nobody: 4:24am On Jun 15, 2015
RobinHez:

I'm a christian...

Dats my question!
of course

Provided it dosent usurp ur faith and cloud your judgement
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 6:53am On Jun 15, 2015
johnydon22:

Lol...low ba3. . . I will surely be back for this thread later.. smiley Interesting and promising.. GOOD QUESTION THO
Thanks,,bring ur friends with u sad
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 6:56am On Jun 15, 2015
Jarizod:
of course

Provided it dosent usurp ur faith and cloud your judgement
It will! There are some aspects in science...like the Theory of Evolution..dat thing made Darwin(an ex priest) become an atheist (though he latter returned in repentance).

Ishilove , Lalasticlala , pls help me reach out na...cry

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 7:05am On Jun 15, 2015
sportsmaster:
Ask JOHN HOPKINS
You mean Ben Carson??
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by menesheh(m): 7:11am On Jun 15, 2015
Yes but it comes in two way:
-Either the faith scientists just want to be a middleman so as to be seen in different ways in order to adjust to wherever he find him/her. These sort of scientists are almost zero devotional but do tgat to fill the gap and fulfill the anomalies.
-or the sort of low-key scientists we see mostly in Africa. They are scientists for the sake of earning a living and for education sake .The level of their scientific understanding of the working processes of the universal are narrow. They are still convinced of what they were indoctrinated and ingrained from their childhood than what they were taught later years in science class.
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 7:18am On Jun 15, 2015
menesheh:
Yes but it comes in two way:
-Either the faith scientists just want to be a middleman so as to be seen in different ways in order to adjust to wherever he find him/her. These sort of scientists are almost zero devotional but do tgat to fill the gap and fulfill the anomalies.
-or the sort of low-key scientists we see mostly in Africa. They are scientists for the sake of earning a living and for education sake .The level of their scientific understanding of the working processes of the universal are narrow. They are still convinced of what they were indoctrinated and ingrained from their childhood than what they were taught later years in science class.

Hmmm...
So how can one be an 'hardcore' scientist and still retain the doctrines of the bible?
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by menesheh(m): 8:04am On Jun 15, 2015
RobinHez:

Hmmm...
So how can one be an 'hardcore' scientist and still retain the doctrines of the bible?

Confusion

How can he/she reconcile six thousand years with billions of years. Formal being the Bible faith and the later being scientific reality
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by menesheh(m): 9:00am On Jun 15, 2015
RobinHez:

This got me thinking hard as I love Science and I love my God but is it possible? I mean most atheists are those who have grasped vast knowledge (not these quack NL atheists o) to the extent of denying the existence of a Super Being.!

BOLDED

Are you for abuse or for logical reasoning. In the comfort of your mind, you do thought you are more intelligent than NL FREE THINKERS who figured things out for themselves then left the religion of their parents.

Science tries to give proof to everything and anything, while Religion requires us to believe "by Faith" (though the bible explains so many mysteries which can only be decoded through the Holy Spirit)
Have you ever thought deeper in your mind the word inspiration. Who even cook up those stories. Are they really certain that those thoughts of theirs are not dreams or hallucinations which you do experience one way or the other too? Or did they phantom all these as legendary stories as we had here too(Nigeria and our local myth story of turtle or that sorts)? The monster in the heaven actually like dealing or revealing himself to a fraction of few men rather than to the world through more vivid evidence and prove. Did god intentionally hidden himself from us to test whether we can figure it out things for ourselves.

So many questions left unanswered by religion believers like you. We atheists followed more plausible explanations rather than resorting to a known mythical stories of the primeval isreali, Roman, and Greek culture and traditions.

Dont think we are not previously religious like you are now,we may even be pretty much deeper then. Compelling religion and science without bias will land you to more plausible and explainable facts of things.

Have religion through their ever trusted ideas produce anything or Explorations to better human wellbeing and understanding of the working processes of the universe.

One last thing is that science is more harder to understand but religion is all about just believing in what one book inscribed and was told by your parents
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 9:21am On Jun 15, 2015
Beesluv:
Why not? Lawyers still have religious faith

Lawyers can't be compared to Scientists
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 9:44am On Jun 15, 2015
menesheh:

Are you for abuse or for logical reasoning. In the comfort of your mind, you do thought you are more intelligent than NL FREE THINKERS who figured things out for themselves then left the religion of their parents.

No atheist has been able to figure out what 'was' before the Big Bang...Religion answers that question - GOD!

Have you ever thought deeper in your mind the word inspiration. Who even cook up those stories. Are they really certain that those thoughts of theirs are not dreams or hallucinations which you do experience one way or the other too? Or did they phantom all these as legendary stories as we had here too(Nigeria and our local myth story of turtle or that sorts)?
There are a lot of archealogical evidence to back up most of what was written in the Bible. Concerning such "stories" like the Creation, it would be difficult for a human to 'hallucinate' such event in so much detail...No man existed before the Creation! Yet Moses was able to write about it, now that's inspiration from the Holy spirit
The monster in the heaven actually like dealing or revealing himself to a fraction of few men rather than to the world through more vivid evidence and prove. Did god intentionally hidden himself from us to test whether we can figure it out things for ourselves
What makes Him a monster? allowing His son to be killed in order to make us free from the 'real monster' who tried to destroy His work?

So many questions left unanswered by religion believers like you. We atheists followed more plausible explanations rather than resorting to a known mythical stories of the primeval isreali, Roman, and Greek culture and traditions.
If u noticed, in my question, I used the phrase 'have a relationship with God'
We have a lot of Religions but we don't have enough people who habe personal relationships with the Creator...
Just as Semiramis have been from old times even till now, so also 'such mythical stories from Israel' have been upheld even in the face of much Tribulations...

Dont think we are not previously religious like you are now,we may even be pretty much deeper then. Compelling religion and science without bias will land you to more plausible and explainable facts of things.
My point exactly! I'm pretty sure if scientist could admit that the Laws which they propound were created by a Creator; citing the Big Bang and the Theory of evolution. God said let there be Light and there was light! Don't u see that scientist also say the same thing but only deny the possible evidence of a Super Force behind it, I mean matter can't be created nor destroyed; but that was after Matter itself was created by a Supreme being...
....These are what I mean when I say, can't scientist be Chrisitians too?

Have religion through their ever trusted ideas produce anything or Explorations to better human wellbeing and understanding of the working processes of the universe.
I can't speak for other Religions, but there are so many testimonies about how people's lives have changed after getting to experience 'a new birth'

One last thing is that science is more harder to understand but religion is all about just believing in what one book inscribed and was told by your parents
Science tries to explain what is already in that book...But its the Scientist that refuse to think it that way...undecided
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by italo: 1:59pm On Jun 15, 2015
RobinHez,

Many of the Giants and pioneers in many Science fields have been Catholics, even Priests.

E.g the first person to propound the big bang theory was a Catholic Priest, Fr George Lemaitre.

There are 35 craters in the moon named after Catholic Jesuit Priests...the Jesuits are masters in astronomy.

And many other examples. The Catholic Church practically invented science and nurtured it.

Science and Christianity do not contradict.

Read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Catholic_Church_and_science
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by Goodyshoes(m): 2:37pm On Jun 15, 2015
Nice question OP.
Let me say, that science and religion are no two different or cross crossing lines.
Hence they can b efficiently and effectively concerned. I'd have loved to know who your definition of a scientist is though. Cuz Christians still engage in science based professions such as medicine, chemistry, biology and engineering etc.
I must perforce say that it can be combined.
Also note that science was not created to counter Christianity. It only rather explains, with adequate proof, what we didn't understand earlier. Religion on the other hand, ascribes those to God. Simply cuz Christianity is faith-based. Science deals with palpable and empirical evidence.
It's possible to be a scientist and still be a practicing Christian.
Cheers.
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 3:29pm On Jun 15, 2015
Insightful comments so far....i'm really learning.

pls Lalasticlala ; i'll buy u a Jet to help me reach out to a broader audience(Fp) thanks smiley
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 3:36pm On Jun 15, 2015
Goodyshoes:
Nice question OP.
Let me say, that science and religion are no two different or cross crossing lines.
Hence they can b efficiently and effectively concerned. I'd have loved to know who your definition of a scientist is though. Cuz Christians still engage in science based professions such as medicine, chemistry, biology and engineering etc.
I must perforce say that it can be combined.
Also note that science was not created to counter Christianity. It only rather explains, with adequate proof, what we didn't understand earlier. Religion on the other hand, ascribes those to God. Simply cuz Christianity is faith-based. Science deals with palpable and empirical evidence.
It's possible to be a scientist and still be a practicing Christian.
Cheers.
Part of the reason why i asked ths question is based on Darwin's story, he Discovered so much detail which made Him deny his Faith....

Yeah, Religion ascribes to God, Science ascribes to Facts and Discoveries, now how can those correlate ?
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by Goodyshoes(m): 4:54pm On Jun 15, 2015
RobinHez:

Part of the reason why i asked ths question is based on Darwin's story, he Discovered so much detail which made Him deny his Faith....
Yeah, Religion ascribes to God, Science ascribes to Facts and Discoveries, now how can those correlate ?
From your post, you imply that "discovering so much" just like in the case of Darwin, leads one to deny his faith. I do not agree with this.
Look at it this way.
One must perforce acknowledge that Hod is the supreme creator of the whole universe and it's entirety, becoming a scientist, then only helps us understand the mysteries of the world as it were.
It does not go against Christianity..... Except in cases where faith is shown to be without reason.
Knowledge of the "how" and "why" of this universe is necessary for our survival in this world. But we also have to acknowledge that there's someone out there who is greater and responsible for creation of all that is....

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 11:45am On Jun 17, 2015
one last attempt to get the mods come to my rescue cry
Lalasticlala , Ishilove , Obinoscopy , Fynestboi
pls...Fp , help me reach out to more like me...thanks.

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by Weah96: 12:28pm On Jun 17, 2015
RobinHez:

No atheist has been able to figure out what 'was' before the Big Bang...Religion answers that question - GOD!

There are a lot of archealogical evidence to back up most of what was written in the Bible. Concerning such "stories" like the Creation, it would be difficult for a human to 'hallucinate' such event in so much detail...No man existed before the Creation! Yet Moses was able to write about it, now that's inspiration from the Holy spirit

What makes Him a monster? allowing His son to be killed in order to make us free from the 'real monster' who tried to destroy His work?

If u noticed, in my question, I used the phrase 'have a relationship with God'
We have a lot of Religions but we don't have enough people who habe personal relationships with the Creator...
Just as Semiramis have been from old times even till now, so also 'such mythical stories from Israel' have been upheld even in the face of much Tribulations...

My point exactly! I'm pretty sure if scientist could admit that the Laws which they propound were created by a Creator; citing the Big Bang and the Theory of evolution. God said let there be Light and there was light! Don't u see that scientist also say the same thing but only deny the possible evidence of a Super Force behind it, I mean matter can't be created nor destroyed; but that was after Matter itself was created by a Supreme being...
....These are what I mean when I say, can't scientist be Chrisitians too?

I can't speak for other Religions, but there are so many testimonies about how people's lives have changed after getting to experience 'a new birth'

Science tries to explain what is already in that book...But its the Scientist that refuse to think it that way...undecided

People like you are the reason I don't frequent NL as often as I did. Where do I even start to reply? Did you say that Moses wrote the creation story even though he wasn't there and that fact is proof that the story occurred as written? Something is wrong with you. You need one of these Gods, for real.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by RobinHez(m): 1:40pm On Jun 17, 2015
Weah96:

People like you are the reason I don't frequent NL as often as I did. Where do I even start to reply? Did you say that Moses wrote the creation story even though he wasn't there and that fact is proof that the story occurred as written? Something is wrong with you. You need one of these Gods, for real.
the title of the thread is "can i be a scientist while still holding on to my religious faith?" if u dont have a polite way of answering my question without inducing your ego and pride in atheism (which is foolishness) i'd advice you to respectfully move on. smiley
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 17, 2015
RobinHez:
Here's an excerpt from an article I found online

This got me thinking hard as I love Science and I love my God but is it possible? I mean most atheists are those who have grasped vast knowledge to the extent of denying the existence of a Super Being.

So I ask! Can one be a scientist and still have a good relationship with God?

Healthy comments pls! Thanks!!

Yes you can. Whether you are Christian, Muslim or whatever you accept your religion on faith precisely because it is an unproven quantity, if you are convinced by its tenets then you become an adherent.

Science reveals there is an order to life, and thankfully it is independent of the religious mob, for instance, planetary movements obey Keplerian laws, the laws of gravity hold on Earth, we know that the building blocks of DNA a nitrogenous base are five-sided and this pattern is replicated throughout nature, Just as baby turtle eggs will all hatch uniformly at the first glimpses of the full moon, we know that a woman will only ever conceive under the phase of the moon she was born under. (ladies take note) We live and we die in accordance with the circadian rythm of life irrespective of religious leaning.

The order of life progresses whether you believe in Yahweh, Allah or the flying spaghetti monster, your beliefs are largely irrelevant in the great scheme of cosmic activity.

Italo,

And many other examples. The Catholic Church practically invented science and nurtured it.

Science and Christianity do not contradict.

I see that the Catholic crew are having a laugh rewriting history by saying they practically invented science, truly the joke is on them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by NumberOne2(m): 5:53pm On Jun 17, 2015
Scientist that want to be honest know that science proves the existence of God (Higher Being).
Why do you think man is in space? Smart scientists know there are higher beings and check the stars for answers. Dumb scientist hold on to BIG BANG theory (just theory not yet proven true).

I believe in science and everyday, new studies show the existence of a higher being. I only wish Christians will be more open to Science. Science prooves bible truths.

BIG BANG: Large explosion where rocks formed seas, oceans, giraffes, lions etc over billions of years. So if I keep a rock in my house for billions of years, lions, monkey and fishes will form.
Re: Can You Be A Scientist And Still Have Religious Faith? by johnydon22(m): 6:00pm On Jun 17, 2015
^^^Dude above me has no freaking idea how he sounds. . I can't believe people still think like this proudly in public forums in this 21st century. . My science class is fvcking ruinedcheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Faith,belief,reason And Truth. / I'm Looking For A Church To Attend In Ibadan This Morning / Why Do Christians Say We Bless God When Someone Ask How Are You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.