Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:15 PM

Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria (69305 Views)

10 Most Expensive Police Cars In The World / Top 10 Funny Looking Cars In The World / Drunk Driver Crashes Employer's Mercedes-benz SUV Into 4 Parked Cars In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 9:01am On Jun 15, 2015
In our country, people seem not to appreciate vehicles older than a decade.

The rave is for newer cars.

People who own old cars are automatically rated as 'struggling' on the economic ladder.

Is it possible to create a desire amongst our present generation for these vehicles? A desire to maintain them and keep them in top notch condition for the coming generation?

We all have nostalgic feelings when we remember how some vehicles dominated our roads in the 70s and 80s.

I remember my school's principal. He owned a Datsun 120Y. My Dad owned a Datsun Stanza, a couple of Peugeots, our neighbours owned a beetle 1500 and a Bluebird etc.

These vehicles are no longer common in Nigeria.

You however travel and still see some of these cars in top shape.

Can we start the revival?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Inception(m): 9:30am On Jun 15, 2015
i remember my dad's PEUGEOT 505 SR '5 SPEED', Bought brand new in July 1985, sold in 2005.

My favorite features of the car then was the front power windows, the central locking(oh that robotic noise it made), that Antarctica standard a/c, and the incredible agile movement that rivaled even BMW's of its day!

wow, what a feeling...

MODIFIED

Please what is the meaning of FTC?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Whizpeter(m): 8:09pm On Jun 15, 2015
Hmmmm....

I belong to the indomie generation

But that doesn't mean that I don't know Peugeot 504 and Volkswagen Beetle...

4 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by lonelydora: 8:29pm On Jun 15, 2015
My colleague still brings his father's Peugeot 504 (Peugeot 2000) aka Bestline to the office a times. Nice ride I must say.

10 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Ikenna351(m): 9:50am On Jun 16, 2015
This is my baby, Peugeot 505 V6 5-speed manual, 1986 production. Picture was taken recently.

I am the only guy that drives a V6 505 in Abuja city, and a clean one. The gaze I get from people while driving past is thrilling, with my windows up.

I love that Lion!

Ikenna

145 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 16, 2015
Ikenna351:
This is my baby, Peugeot 505 V6 5-speed manual, 1986 production. Picture was taken recently.

I am the only guy that drives a V6 505 in Abuja city, and a clean one. The gaze I get from people while driving past is thrilling, with my windows up.

I love that Lion!

Ikenna

we yet to see ur 607.

1 Like

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Ikenna351(m): 5:55am On Jun 17, 2015
Bossforeva:
we yet to see ur 607.

My Peugeot 607 V6 phase II is serving me well and I love the car too. I am very grateful for having these wonderful Peugeot cars that keep smile on my face permanently.

Ikenna

4 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:44am On Jun 17, 2015
Ikenna351:

My Peugeot 607 V6 phase II is serving me well and I love the car too. I am very grateful for having these wonderful Peugeot cars that keep smile on my face permanently.

Ikenna
i mean the pics? We have been seeing the 505, which is so admirable but not the 607 yet.

1 Like

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 8:25am On Jun 17, 2015
Mercedes Benz 200; W123 Platform. 1977 model.

Classical.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 17, 2015
@Denn how I wish i fit buy this Benz from your hand. kudos to the former owner for keeping this vehicle in top shape & that major repairs did you do after you bought the car? It's nice to know that you still left the trafficator lights in their orange original colour.
I am sure when cruising this vehicle you feel like a member of the Russian mob.

20 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Bonj(m): 10:38am On Jun 17, 2015
Best used cars in the USA are bought off farmers......they haven't anywhere to go but their farms.
I gave out my 123 benz just like in the pic above; still smarting from it.
Oga Denn, do well to respond to my talk on your "Farm birth experience" before mine turns into a still birth o.

2 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by ivoryhouse(m): 8:26pm On Jun 17, 2015
dumo1:
@Denn how I wish i fit buy this Benz from your hand. kudos to the former owner for keeping this vehicle in top shape & that major repairs did you do after you bought the car? It's nice to know that you still left the trafficator lights in their orange original colour.
Wow! This is the cleanest flat boot Benz I have seen in a looooong while! Kudos

2 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:21am On Jun 18, 2015
Denn, have you replaced ur yellow sport trac with the truck beside the benz?
How far bout ur VW too?
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 4:39am On Jun 18, 2015
dumo1:

vehicle was bought on NL.

work done: Oil change, conversion of fuel pump from mechanical to electrical, wheels upgrade, wheel balancing & alignment.

work to be done: looking into changing transmission from 4 speed to 5 (if possible and cheap), mudguards, dashboard lights, speedo and clock

Vehicle is relatively cheap....a dash i must say.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 4:43am On Jun 18, 2015
Bossforeva:
Denn, have you replaced ur zellow sport trac with the truck beside the benz?
How far bout ur VW too?

VW is upcoming.

work will be completed soon and then, it ,might be offered for sale...who knows

2 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 4:43am On Jun 18, 2015
ivoryhouse:

Wow! This is the cleanest flat boot Benz I have seen in a looooong while! Kudos

thanks boss
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 4:44am On Jun 18, 2015
Bonj:
Best used cars in the USA are bought off farmers......they haven't anywhere to go but their farms.
I gave out my 123 benz just like in the pic above; still smarting from it.
Oga Denn, do well to respond to my talk on your "Farm birth experience" before mine turns into a still birth o.

my oga...will respond asap
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 8:47am On Jun 18, 2015
Exponental:
I have an '84 model Nissan Laurel to sell though. Engine drives fine. Drove from Lagos to Abeokuta at 175 KM/HR max. 6plugs carburetor engine. Balanced on speed. I love d ride. Old soldier!

Factory top speed for this vehicle is 170km/HR.

That is before half of the horses died due to old age.

Are there some other mods involved?

Thanks

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1984/2123150/nissan_laurel_4door_sedan_2000_gx_5-speed.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 11:12am On Jun 22, 2015

5 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 3:25pm On Jun 22, 2015
I am looking for a clean Peugeot 404. Anyone?

1 Like

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 9:06am On Jul 21, 2015
Kashif:
I am looking for a clean Peugeot 404. Anyone?

Good choice. I doubt its pristine availability in Nigeria given our history of vehicle maintenance.

This car was already a classic even in the eighties.

23 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by NumberOne2(m): 11:40pm On Jul 21, 2015
Denn:
In our country, people seem not to appreciate vehicles older than a decade.

The rave is for newer cars.

People who own old cars are automatically rated as 'struggling' on the economic ladder.

Is it possible to create a desire amongst our present generation for these vehicles? A desire to maintain them and keep them in top notch condition for the coming generation?

We all have nostalgic feelings when we remember how some vehicles dominated our roads in the 70s and 80s.

I remember my school's principal. He owned a Datsun 120Y. My Dad owned a Datsun Stanza, a couple of Peugeots, our neighbours owned a beetle 1500 and a Bluebird etc.

These vehicles are no longer common in Nigeria.

You however travel and still see some of these cars in top shape.

Can we start the revival?

Sure. My first love was a 504. I still trip when I see one. That car is stronger than some SUV's today.
Inspired by your 505. Wouldn't mind a clean 504, tinted with AC. That will be a sight. wink

1 Like

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by chaikie(m): 10:33pm On Jul 25, 2015
Denn:
Mercedes Benz 200; W123 Platform. 1977 model.

Classical.

Oga Denn, you just have to sell me this your Mercedes. Damn! Never seen any as neat as this in donkey years!
Btw, how is the fuel consumption?

1 Like

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 26, 2015
I have watched documentaries on how foreigners maintain, cherish & worship their classic cars. in fact it's a culture on its own. Only very few Nigerians know what it is to maintain classics in Naija like Oga Denn & Mr Ikenna. Their cars are baddest. Kept as much as possible in pristine shape & mechanically sound.

1 Like

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 6:42am On Jul 26, 2015
chaikie:

Oga Denn, you just have to sell me this your Mercedes. Damn! Never seen any as neat as this in donkey years!
Btw, how is the fuel consumption?

Make me an offer and I might consider.... Seriously.

Fuel consumption.... Luxury and economy were not on par in the seventies

4 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 6:45am On Jul 26, 2015
dumo1:
I have watched documentaries on how foreigners maintain, cherish & worship their classic cars. in fact it's a culture on its own. Only very few Nigerians know what it is to maintain classics in Naija like Oga Denn & Mr Ikenna. Their cars are baddest. Kept as much as possible in pristine shape & mechanically sound.

Appreciation should actually go to the initial buyers who ensured those vehicles were properly maintained.

We buy cars today...we should try to maintain them properly so that in 30 years time, our kids would know what we called 'EOD'....not just from pictures

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by chukkiephil(m): 7:09am On Jul 27, 2015
While my business partners rush to buy the latest cars Toyota muscle and co, I just pimped up my 504 bestline and Mercedes 230 flat boot!! Damn!! I love those cars!! Wetin dey craze me most is that custom horn sound of 504 best line and durability of Mercedes !!! To me I think Benz products is the best in the world

6 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 7:55am On Jul 27, 2015
chukkiephil:
While my business partners rush to buy the latest cars Toyota muscle and co, I just pimped up my 504 bestline and Mercedes 230 flat boot!! Damn!! I love those cars!! Wetin dey craze me most is that custom horn sound of 504 best line and durability of Mercedes !!! To me I think Benz products is the best in the world

504.....hnmmmmm.

I envy you o

2 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 27, 2015
undecided
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by priscaoge(f): 8:01pm On Jul 27, 2015
Mgbe elu bu ala Osa cool cool cool

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5th Generation Range Rover May Just Be The World’s Best Luxury SUV (Photos) / Pastor Igwe Erick Nwankwo's Car Number Plate Goes Viral / UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.