Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

Who Are The Moderators? What Are They Doing? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Who Are The Moderators? What Are They Doing? (670 Views)

Deleted post since Seun and the moderators refused to respond to a legit concern / Dealdey.com How Are They Doing It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are The Moderators? What Are They Doing? by Cactus(m): 2:10pm On Feb 23, 2009
It is obviously apparent that there are people spamming the message boards. So why are the moderators not deleting, flagging messages? How come these people remain and their accounts are not deleted?

It is really frustrating reading messages regarding, buy this, win that, financial success when everyone knows they are all spams.

I do hope someone would be willing to provide answers.

Spam messages should be deleted.
People should be blocked after several spam posts
Re: Who Are The Moderators? What Are They Doing? by yawatide(f): 3:31pm On Feb 23, 2009
Oga cactus, thanks for your post.

From the links at the top of this post, you know who the moderators are. So why not just pose the question directly? cool

Like you, I used to get very frustrated with such posts. That is why, in a way, I am happy to be a moderator. There are 2 of us. I live in the western hemisphere. The other, the eastern hemisphere. I bring this up because:

1) I am not paid to do this. Having said that, within my hours of operation, I visit this board at least once an hour. This doesn't mean that I have this board on beeper and anytime it goes off, even at 2am, I will wake up to monitor the board. By the way, I last monitored this board, other than right now, at 11am GMT wink

2) I can't speak for the other moderator on this issue but chances are that when you visit, it is at a time when I am off and he is on (hopefully).

As moderators, we can only delete posts but not threads. Also, if the thread has only one post, we can't delete the thread. Only Seun can do that. He also is the only one with rights to block IP addresses and users.

In the spirit of "okay, now you have laid out your complaint, what is the solution?", I would suggest to you and others to utilize the "report to the moderator" button. If it is something we can't handle, we will send it to Seun for review.

Rest assured, I hate such spam as much as you do and unless you want to kid yourself, I am sure you will agree that compared to this time a year ago, spam has been much more reduced. Believe me, I monitor as I said, during the day, at least once an hour. I will confess though that since I am not paid, I am not motivated to do it more often and for free work, once per hour is even more than what would be required for such "pay".

Thanks for your post and thanks for airing your issue in a mature manner.
Re: Who Are The Moderators? What Are They Doing? by Cactus(m): 6:20pm On Feb 23, 2009
Well your explanations are reasonable.

But

What is the point of giving people the right to be Moderators if they cannot delete threads? or Disable the thread without deleting?
Re: Who Are The Moderators? What Are They Doing? by yawatide(f): 7:01pm On Feb 23, 2009
u r asking the wrong persons the right question brother tongue
Re: Who Are The Moderators? What Are They Doing? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Feb 23, 2009
Ehm, sorry, i am not moderating this board. But yawa, i used to think we all have same rights. On the computer board, i seem to be able to delete entire threads and posts at will. Whether it has 0,1 or 100 posts - best not to let the posts get many - says seun.
All those guys with illegal browsing for instance, whenever i come online, i clear out the obvious first before going for the smaller ones.
And if the spammer is unfortunate that i am online while he was posting, his post will most likely get deleted before anyone reads it.
Re: Who Are The Moderators? What Are They Doing? by OmniPotens(m): 2:10am On Feb 24, 2009
lipsrsealed shocked

(1) (Reply)

Take On One On One / The List Of Isp In Akure Or Ondo Only Plzzzzzzzzz / Please Help Review My Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.