Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,172 members, 7,829,189 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult (1636 Views)

Religious Atheism EXPOSED : God Without Religion and Religion Without God / A Religion Or A Cult? / The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by menesheh(m): 10:57pm On Jun 16, 2015
Is there a difference between a religious believe and a cult since it is all about believing in a particular sect of ideology and believe system.
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by menesheh(m): 11:03pm On Jun 16, 2015
cc:
johnydon22
plaetton
davien
theAtheist101
RobinHez
finamaris
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by Ezedon(m): 11:17pm On Jun 16, 2015
If you ask me, na who i go ask
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by menesheh(m): 11:46pm On Jun 16, 2015
Ezedon:
If you ask me, na who i go ask

didn't bear you in mind when asking such question. cool
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jun 16, 2015
menesheh:
Is there a difference between a religious believe and a cult since it is all about believing a particular sect of ideology and believing system.

cult

kĘŚlt/
noun
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.
"the cult of St Olaf"
a person or thing that is popular or fashionable among a particular group or section of society.
"the series has become a bit of a cult in the UK"
synonyms: craze, fashion, fad, vogue; informalthing

Every religious sect is an organised cult group! That is why I jokingly call my religious friends cultists.

2 Likes

Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by MuttleyLaff: 11:55pm On Jun 16, 2015
menesheh:
Is there a difference between a religious believe and a cult since it is all about believing a particular sect of ideology and believing system.

The difference between a religious belief and a cult is the observed or noticeable strong deviants
(e.g. the funny or weird behaviour(s) displayed or practised when compared with other similar religious beliefs)
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by menesheh(m): 12:27am On Jun 17, 2015
MuttleyLaff:

The difference between a religious belief and a cult is the observed or noticeable strong deviants
(e.g. the funny or weird behaviour(s) displayed or practised when compared with other similar religious beliefs)

There exists weird ideals in all religious believes too and also pretty much funny too (eg believing in virgin birth, trinity, flying to heaven on a wing horse etc). I didn't notice any explicit different between the two in your comment.
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by MuttleyLaff: 12:35am On Jun 17, 2015
menesheh:
There exists weird ideals in all religious believes too and also pretty much funny too.
I didn't notice any explicit different between the two in your comment.

Religious beliefs have and/or share common weird and funny ideals
It is when one deviates from what's the norm to the crazy, bizarre, stewpid, odd, eccentric, strange, brainwashed, do-not-question-me etc
that it becomes or turns into a cult

You dont have to strain eyes to see or notice the "No Entry" sign on the cult member's brain
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by menesheh(m): 12:36am On Jun 17, 2015
theAtheist101:

cult

kĘŚlt/
noun
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.
"the cult of St Olaf"
a person or thing that is popular or fashionable among a particular group or section of society.
synonyms: craze, fashion, fad, vogue; informalthing

Every religious sect is an organised cult group! That is why I jokingly call my religious friends cultists.

Can we say from the Bolded above that religions are more implicit while cult deals with explicit seen object or figure rather than subconscious unseen ideas.
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by Nobody: 12:44am On Jun 17, 2015
menesheh:

Can we say from the Bolded above that religions are more implicit while cult deals with explicit seen object or figure rather than subconscious unseen ideas.

Yes, something along that line. But, they all venerate a figure/person/object. And I don't see anyone of them being superior to others.
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by menesheh(m): 12:49am On Jun 17, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
[img=http://s30.postimg.org/6hcic0o6l/Cults.jpg]
Religious beliefs have and/or share common weird and funny ideals
It is when one deviates from what's the norm to the crazy, bizarre, stewpid, odd, eccentric, strange, brainwashed etc
that it becomes or turns into a cult

Norm?

Norm can be idea that is typical of a group of people or community meaning that cult can actually have their norms aside what you perceived as a general ideas. Norm in china may never be one in Nigeria. Same with ideas of a group to the other.
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by MuttleyLaff: 12:59am On Jun 17, 2015
menesheh:
Norm?

Norm can be idea that is typical of a group of people or community meaning that cult can actually have their norms aside what you perceived as a general ideas.
Norm in china may never be one in Nigeria. Same with ideas of a group to the other.
You're now shifted from religious beliefs to groups and/or communities now, are you?
OK, since its you who opened this thread, why not give the examples of the religious beliefs and examples of the cults that prompted you post the thread then.
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by menesheh(m): 1:12am On Jun 17, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
You're now shifted from religious beliefs to groups and/or communities now, are you?
OK, since its you who opened this thread, why not give the examples of the religious beliefs and examples of the cults that prompted you post the thread then.

Religion can be referred as groups of same believers of an idea (religious groups), same with cult.
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by MuttleyLaff: 1:28am On Jun 17, 2015
menesheh:
Religion can be referred as groups of same believers of an idea (religious groups), same with cult.
Next time, be that explicit so we know you havent deviated from the original theme (i.e. religious groups and religious cult)

Back on course, if you know and admit that "Religion can be referred as groups of same believers of an idea" why ask a lame question about norm?
As earlier said, when a religious group deviates from what is the norm or what's normal in mainstream religious groups, it turns into a cult

Adding crazy, bizarre, stewpid, odd, eccentric, strange, brainwashed ideas to the norm positions religious group changing into a cult

The cult transition is gradual, it's not something that happens suddenly, overnight or very quickly

It's onlookers or outsiders that recognise the cult signs, cult members nine times out of ten dont

Some giveaway signs of emergent or full-fledged cults are members copying the religious group leadership's physical appearance, grooming and dressing style, actions, words, behaviour etc
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by menesheh(m): 1:43am On Jun 17, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Next time, be that explicit so we know you havent deviated from the original theme (i.e. religious groups and religious cult)

Back on course, if you know and admit that "Religion can be referred as groups of same believers of an idea" why ask a lame question about norm?
As earlier said, when a religious group deviates from what is the norm or what's normal in mainstream religious groups, it turns into a cult

Adding crazy, bizarre, stewpid, odd, eccentric, strange, brainwashed ideas to the norm positions religious group changing into a cult

The cult transition is gradual, it's not something that happens suddenly, overnight or very quickly

It's onlookers or outsiders that recognise the cult signs, cult members nine times out of ten don't

Some giveaway signs of cults are when members start copying the religious group leadership's appearances, dressing, actions, words, behaviour etc

Didn't get the angle u are coming from.
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by MuttleyLaff: 1:45am On Jun 17, 2015
menesheh:
Didn't get the angle u are coming from.
Sleep on it then, you will sooner or later...
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by menesheh(m): 1:51am On Jun 17, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Sleep on it then, you will sooner or later...

so naive
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by MuttleyLaff: 2:00am On Jun 17, 2015
menesheh:
so naive
Non sequitur. Olodo. Yeye de smell
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by davien(m): 8:29am On Jun 17, 2015
menesheh:

cc:
johnydon22
plaetton
davien
theAtheist101
RobinHez
finamaris
I wouldn't think so,a "cult" is a derogatory term for a religion(organised or not)...and is used to identify smaller or weaker religions....for example christians where once considered a cult by the Roman empire...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by Nobody: 8:44am On Jun 17, 2015
davien:
I wouldn't think so,a "cult" is a derogatory term for a religion(organised or not)...and is used to identify smaller or weaker religions....for example christians where once considered a cult by the Roman empire...

.... and their violence got them to where they are now?
Re: Is There A Difference Between A Religion And A Cult by menesheh(m): 8:56am On Jun 17, 2015
davien:

Your differentiation was based on the magnitude and number engaged in the believe system. That means if a cult grows to a more gigantic group, one can now refer them to religion? But in the context of ideology they are same.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Is This The Youngest "Boy Of God" In The World? / [pics]malawi Pastor,prophet Shepherd Bushiri Acquires A 3rd Private Jet In 2yrs / Feb Idahosa, Wife Celebrate Son As He Turns Six

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.