Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,204 members, 7,839,107 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) (31050 Views)

Baby Born With Intestines Outside The Body In Niger State (Graphic Photos) / Dead Body In Yobe Transported With Wheelbarrow From Hospital To Deceased Home / Parents Of The Boy Born With His Heart Outside The Body In Yobe. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by adedam007(m): 9:18am On Jun 17, 2015
T
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by babyBB: 9:18am On Jun 17, 2015
When Idris Abdulkarem sang Nigeria jagajaga they banned his song, but it'nt it true? Corpse decomposed in an open place for 4 days dats a sign dat d system has failed. RIP

1 Like

Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by Pangea: 9:18am On Jun 17, 2015
The funny thing is that decaying corpse does not cause any health hazard or epidemic!
This is a misconception!
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by imolereed(m): 9:18am On Jun 17, 2015
People just dying like fowls nowadays...oh lord please guide and protect us
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by bogolobango(m): 9:20am On Jun 17, 2015
Messi ko Ronaldo ni
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by golddust6000(m): 9:22am On Jun 17, 2015
Mattkent:
This can never happen in Europe. I have never witnessed something like this...never!
IT DOES HAPPEN IN RUSSIA, UKRAIN, LITHUANIA, MACEDONIA. THEY ARE ALL EUROPE.
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by oladele97: 9:24am On Jun 17, 2015
TRADELYN:
Since Saturday...where is Gov. Ambode na?

I don't think this would have dragged for too long under Fashola. That is why we need to build a strong system.
#RIP!

will the governor know everything going on, on the street
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by ahmadinho2010(m): 9:25am On Jun 17, 2015
Nawao
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by beyoncausme: 9:28am On Jun 17, 2015
this is very bad...
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by ryemshik(m): 9:28am On Jun 17, 2015
shocked shocked wan oooo
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 17, 2015
Omg dats sad

Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by Barselonia(m): 9:29am On Jun 17, 2015
naija no dey things serious na
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by frederickokey(m): 9:32am On Jun 17, 2015
Life is a dream, you wake up when you die
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by Korrection(m): 9:37am On Jun 17, 2015
And so?
otijah:
He is a Mad Man
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by GodMode: 9:37am On Jun 17, 2015
Pangea:
The funny thing is that decaying corpse does not cause any health hazard or epidemic!
This is a misconception!

It does..

The decomposing corpse stench releases poisonous gas that are harmful to the body...

Unless you're a vulture...
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by Abugab(m): 9:44am On Jun 17, 2015
With this vanity that is associated with life some people are still hell bent on stealing billions of naira or dollars when they cannot do anything with it when they are dead.
This life is really empty........
RIP
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by moscobabs(m): 9:44am On Jun 17, 2015
another decay body is now at oshodi where people enter motor going to mile 2. I don't understand the govt sef
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by omazus: 9:55am On Jun 17, 2015
Meaning Fashola was just a strong man that failed to build a strong system.
TRADELYN:

I don't think this would have dragged for too long under Fashola. That is why we need to build a strong system.
#RIP!
¬¬¬¬¬
www.tradelyn.com will be back this month.

Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by Pangea: 9:55am On Jun 17, 2015
GodMode:

It does..

The decomposing corpse stench releases poisonous gas that are harmful to the body...

Unless you're a vulture...

The stench is just hydrogen sulfide and other nitrogeneus gas which will immediately disipate in the air.
No health hazard or epidemic unless you decide to pipe the noxious gas into your nose which can lead to suffocation.

Please read below and learn!

Frequently Asked Questions on the management of cadavers 

Information for the public  

1. Do dead bodies cause epidemics?  

No. The bodies of people who have died in a disaster do not cause epidemics. In a disaster, people die as a result of injury, drowning or fire. They are not likely to have epidemic-causing diseases such as cholera, typhoid, malaria or plague when they die. In most cases, those who have survived are more likely to be spreading diseases.

2. What are the health risks for the public?

Negligible, unless they are helping to move bodies. However, there is a small risk of diarrhoea from drinking water contaminated by faecal material from bodies. Routine disinfection of drinking water is sufficient to prevent water-borne diseases.

3. Can dead bodies contaminate water?  

Potentially, yes. Dead bodies often leak faeces, which may contaminate rivers or other water sources with diarrhoeal diseases. However, people will generally avoid drinking water from any source they think has had dead bodies in it.

4. Is spraying bodies with disinfectant or lime powder effective?  

No. This does not make bodies decompose faster or reduce the risk of disease.

5. Local officials and journalists say there is a risk of disease from dead bodies. Are they correct?  

No. Many professionals and journalists misunderstand the risk from dead bodies after a disaster. Even health workers are often misinformed, and contribute to the spread of rumours.

Information for workers  

1. Is there a risk for people handling dead bodies?  

People handling bodies (rescue workers, mortuary staff, etc.) do run a slight risk from tuberculosis, hepatitis B and C, HIV and diarrhoeal diseases. However, these diseases do not last more than two days in a dead body (except for HIV, which may survive up to six days). Workers can reduce the risks by wearing rubber boots and gloves and practicing basic hygiene (e.g. washing their hands).

2. Should workers wear a mask?  

The smell from decaying bodies is unpleasant, but it is not a health risk in well-ventilated spaces. There is no need to wear a mask on health grounds. However, workers may feel better psychologically if they wear masks. One should not encourage the public to do so.

Information for authorities  

1. How urgent is the collection of dead bodies?  

Collecting bodies is not the most urgent task after a disaster. The priority is to care for the living. Dead bodies cause no significant public health risk. Nevertheless, one should collect bodies as soon as possible and take them away for identification.

2. Should one use mass graves to quickly dispose of the bodies?  

NO. There is no public health justification for rapid mass burials. Rushing to dispose of bodies without proper identification does more harm than good. Burying several individuals together can traumatize families and communities and may have serious legal consequences, in that it may be impossible to recover and identify individual sets of remains later.

3. What should the authorities do with bodies?  

Collect bodies and either store them in refrigerated containers/dry ice, or bury them temporarily, to allow forensic investigation later.

Take photographs and record descriptive information for each body.

Attempt to identify each body.

4. What psychological problems can arise?  

People feel an overwhelming need to identify their dead relatives. For individuals and communities to recover and heal, it is important that they be able to bury their loved ones in accordance with their traditions, and that they can grieve.

5. How should one manage the bodies of foreigners?  

Families of visitors are more likely to insist on the identification and repatriation of the bodies. Proper identification is important for both economic and diplomatic reasons. It is important to keep bodies for identification. Inform foreign consulates and embassies and contact INTERPOL for assistance.

https://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/misc/health-bodies-140110.htm
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by donbenie(m): 9:56am On Jun 17, 2015
Tomfrench:
you can't blame the health workers, they are human beings just like you!!! undecided
That's a very silly statement,if I must say so myself,we live in a sane society were certain government agencies are established to carry out specific duties in the public interest,saying we shouldn't blame people who receives salary for dereliction of duty is downright NONSENSICAL..

1 Like

Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by FlySly05: 9:58am On Jun 17, 2015
fatdon2:
God Have Messi.

Why can't God have Ronaldo or Suarez but Messi. grin grin
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by donbenie(m): 10:06am On Jun 17, 2015
Pangea:
This is a misconception!
How can you say that a decaying body poses no health hazard to the living,I mean seriously do you know the amount of disease causing micro organisms that a dead body is riddled with and the attendant health implications if it finds its way to a living body,through water,food or whatever avenue,please stop misinforming the public with half baked opinions..
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by Pangea: 10:08am On Jun 17, 2015
donbenie:
How can you say a that a decaying body poses no health hazard to the living,I mean seriously do you know the amount of disease causing micro organisms that the body is riddled with and the attendant health implications if it finds its way to a living body,through water food or whatever avenue,please stop misinforming the public with half baked opinions..

Read my post above and stop believing old wives tale that has no scientific basis
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by donbenie(m): 10:17am On Jun 17, 2015
Pangea:

Read my post above and stop believing old wives tale that has no scientific basis
Unfortunately,all your post showed is you taking the information contained in the article out of context,the article clearly indicated health risks if bodies contaminate water sources and a need for proper and efficient disposal of a dead body as soon as possible,so I still state your statement is misleading..
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by GodMode: 10:17am On Jun 17, 2015
Pangea:

The stench is just hydrogen sulfide and other nitrogeneus gas which will immediately disipate in the air.
No health hazard or epidemic unless you decide to pipe the noxious gas into your nose which can lead to suffocation.

Please read below and learn!

That's someone's opinion

Common sense says stay away from dead bodies...

Leave it to the medics...
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by Pangea: 10:20am On Jun 17, 2015
donbenie:
Unfortunately,all your post showed is you taking the information contained in the article out of context,the article clearly indicated health risks if bodies contaminate water sources and a need for proper and efficient disposal of a dead body as soon as possible,so I still state your statement is misleading..

Where in the story was the corpse contaminating the water source?
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by Pangea: 10:20am On Jun 17, 2015
GodMode:

That's someone's opinion

Common sense says stay away from dead bodies...

Leave it to the medics...

You mean
Irrational fear of cadaver?

1 Like

Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by donbenie(m): 10:37am On Jun 17, 2015
Pangea:

Where in the story was the corpse contaminating the water source?
And how do you know there's no water sources around somewhere that can be potentially contaminated by exudates from the source,you know wild animals are capable of transferring such from the body to this drinking sources and on another note,decaying dead bodies have been used by primitive cultures as a source of poison for their arrowheads for hunting and warfare since time immemorial and as such are not as harmless and disease free as the article is trying to make them..
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by Pangea: 10:50am On Jun 17, 2015
donbenie:
And how do you know there's no water sources around somewhere that can be potentially contaminated by exudates from the source,you know wild animals are capable of transferring such from the body to this drinking sources and on another note,decaying dead bodies have been used by primitive cultures as a source of poison for their arrowheads for hunting and warfare since time immemorial and as such are not as harmless and disease free as the article is trying to make them..

I know what I am talking about, I was once like you before with irrational fear of dead bodies but in the course of my study the myths were dymistified.
I will encourage you to look online for the works of Dr. William Bass on the BODY FARM.
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by Lexxy84(m): 10:54am On Jun 17, 2015
Oh dis man finally died....i do see him every Saturday when am home or to relax under d bridge in d garden. RIP
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by tottinova: 11:12am On Jun 17, 2015
TRADELYN:

#RIP!
¬¬¬¬¬
www.tradelyn.com will be back this month.

so ambode will go and carry the corpse on his head #mtcheww #
shey you are a good Nigerian, go and do your civic duty..
Re: Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo) by FlySly05: 12:31pm On Jun 17, 2015
Pangea:

You mean
Irrational fear of cadaver?

Not everyone is courageous enough to touch a dead rat let alone go near a dead body. As masculine as I am, I am nauseated at the sight of blood.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman And A Boy Collapse At Sallah Parade In Minna. Photos / Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed / Man Swims Inside Gutter In Owerri, Scoops Dirts With Bare Hands (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.