Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,019 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

3 Faulty Perspectives Of Nigerians As Regards Work - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 3 Faulty Perspectives Of Nigerians As Regards Work (392 Views)

Ericsson To Sack Nigerians As Firm Ships Jobs To India / Ericsson To Sack Nigerians As Firm Ships Jobs To India / 3 Faulty Perspectives Of Nigerians As Regards Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Faulty Perspectives Of Nigerians As Regards Work by SoulWhisperer: 11:26am On Jun 19, 2015
I love the way Nigerians are so enthusiastic about getting a job or having their own business. It shows that they have the desire to be productive. That’s good for a country. When I walk down the street I see several businesses: the barbers, boutiques, provision stores, etc. and I wonder why people still shout “Unemployment”.

This has been something that kept me thinking for a long time. So I decided to go into a bit of research and I discovered that the cause of unemployment was something that the people are responsible for.This is due to their wrong thinking. I am sure that if their thinking can be curbed things will change for the better.

Here are 3 faulty perspectives of Nigerians as regards work:

1. HOW MUCH ARE THEY PAYING ME?
I’ve heard that question countless number of times. Each time I hear it, it’s like a million nails scratched the blackboard. Why on earth would you take on a job if you knew you were going to complain about it? Let’s say you did it because you had no choice. That can never be an excuse towards low productivity. You chose to take the job with that salary, then why make your employer and his business suffer for it? Doesn’t that mean that you are wicked?

2. THEY TAKE EVERY JOB LIKE IT’S A GOVERNMENT JOB
Let’s face it: government jobs are quite dull. There are many people in one office but not much work goes on. Majority of them either sleep, gist or watch movies on their laptops. When there is work, then they drag through it as if it is slave labour. They come late because nobody cares and no one’s checking. They can comfortably spend the day not doing a thing. Unfortunately many Nigerians carry that behaviour to the private sector. It’s a dog-eat-dog market so no one can tolerate such sluggish behaviour. When you are not hard working, you won’t get the chance to get more out of your job in terms of promotions, work experience, specialized skills and other benefits. So why drag your feet and miss out on such?

3 THEY GIVE YOU ATTITUDE
Out of the three, I think this is the worst of them all. The worker does not own the job. He owes a duty to his employer to do his best at work in order to drive the business forward. For some reason some Nigerians believe that it’s good to show an “attitude” especially to the clients. Let me remind you that you don’t own the business. It was your boss who put his/her sweat and blood into making it the way you met it. So who are you to act that way? Last time I checked a worker is still a worker and not the boss. Even the boss won’t show his/her customers an attitude especially when he/she knows that would be bad for business.

I still walk down those streets and see people busy at their work. I love how busy they are. I love the energy they resonate. Just imagine how great Nigeria would be if only Nigerians could look within and change their thinking.

http://www.naijacomplaints.com.ng/complaints/topic/3-faulty-perspectives-of-nigerians-as-regards-work
Re: 3 Faulty Perspectives Of Nigerians As Regards Work by Tattooboy: 11:31am On Jun 19, 2015
Nicely written op.

I always say to my pals 'work for your employer the way you will want your employee to work for you'.

1 Like

Re: 3 Faulty Perspectives Of Nigerians As Regards Work by SoulWhisperer: 12:45pm On Jun 19, 2015
that's the best way to act. i love what you said. it surely is a motto to live by.

(1) (Reply)

Talk On Business Idea's And Dream Chasing / Amazing PMP Training Price Slash (4 Days Classroom + 90 Days Online Access) / Are You In Construction Industries? Let's Meet Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.