Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,016 members, 7,953,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:36 AM

Depression: An Important Message. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Depression: An Important Message. (7424 Views)

Collagen And Your Body System. An Important Information For All. / 9 Signs That Show You Might Have Depression / How To Look Younger, Stronger, Healthy And Lively - An Important Aspect Of Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Depression: An Important Message. by basille(m): 2:29pm On Jun 21, 2015
Found this on facebook, thought it's worth sharing.

A Really Important Message To Get Out To Everyone You Know

You would be surprised with how many people in your life could be going through depression at this very moment. People hide it like a paper bag over their heads out of fear being judged, made fun of, seen as weak, or just not taken seriously. Depression should not be taken lightly, it holds us down from our purpose and potential in life. Those who tell you that it doesn't exist have never experienced depression in their life, therefore not understanding the symptoms and how it's something that cannot be fixed in a day! Don't hide it...talk to someone about it. With the right help, you can rediscover your confidence and begin life anew with our undying love and support.

SOURCE

50 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Adesiji77: 4:44pm On Jun 21, 2015
Nice one OP, thanks for sharing...been there embarassed

Cc: Ishilove

6 Likes

Re: Depression: An Important Message. by chrystalz: 7:27pm On Jun 21, 2015
I know this is a very serious case but with tv series men,depression go run,just mk sire i hav enough battery on ur laptop/phone download loads of tv series,most esp comedy watch till you sleep,wake watch sleep again,depression go run,it has helped me i know this because i suffer from it as well,it cud be of help to you out thee reading

3 Likes

Re: Depression: An Important Message. by eleojo23: 8:05pm On Jun 21, 2015
Good piece.
It is important to know the difference between feeling sad/blue and clinical depression so that the situation can be addressed properly.

Everyone occasionally feels blue or sad. But these feelings are usually short-lived and pass within a couple of days but when someone has major/clinical depression, it is usually prolonged and it interferes with the person's daily life. The person may find it difficult to work, study, sleep , eat, and enjoy friends and activities.

It is marked by a depressed mood most of the day, particularly in the morning, and a loss of interest in normal activities and relationships, inability to make decisions, feelings of hopelessness and suicidal thoughts. These symptoms are present every day for at least 2 weeks.

Many people continue to try to cope with their symptoms without realising they are ill. It can take a friend or family member to suggest something is wrong.
The person cannot just wish it away or 'snap out of it' and put on a happy face and think it away. Watching TV doesn't make it go away.

Physical changes and chemical (neurotransmitter) imbalance in the brain among other factors are considered to be the cause of clinical depression.
Some people have clinical depression only once in their life, while others have it several times in a lifetime.
It can affect people of any age and race so it is not something that affects only 'oyibo' people. It is this wrong concept among Nigerians about depression that prevents many people from seeking help.

Many people wait a long time before seeking help for depression, but it's best not to delay. The sooner the person sees a doctor, the sooner he/she can be on the way to recovery.

Clinical depression symptoms can be treated with psychological counseling, antidepressant medications (such as fluoxetine) or a combination of the two.
Exercise and support from family and friends can cause significant improvement in the mood of depressed individuals.
So, if you have someone suffering depression, first understand his/her condition and try to help the person as much as you can.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Depression: An Important Message. by basille(m): 12:57am On Jun 22, 2015
chrystalz:
I know this is a very serious case but with tv series men,depression go run,just mk sire i hav enough battery on ur laptop/phone download loads of tv series,most esp comedy watch till you sleep,wake watch sleep again,depression go run,it has helped me i know this because i suffer from it as well,it cud be of help to you out thee reading
Lol. What if i told you Loads of tv series didn't help me when i was totally ground zero few years back. I remember watching so many tv series back then but i still felt empty as and even aggravated for resorting to a fake reality to feel better about my self.

Well, different stroke for different folks.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jun 22, 2015
Oh! This is a great one, basille. It's awesome you shared. smiley

Cc:
Ishilove
Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 22, 2015
Really nice.
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by pharmamama: 11:05am On Jun 23, 2015
Great post OP!

Have to echo eleojo23 on this one....there is a big difference between feeling sad and clinical depression. I know you meant well chrystalz, but your response may be misleading to some people because it suggests that you can will yourself out of depression (e.g by going out more, watching more TV, hanging with friends etc).

Truth is, when a person is depressed, they lose interest in any of these things and often need to get external help. The support (and empathy) of family and friends is very important, and it goes a long way to make them not feel judged or ashamed for not being able to just "snap out of it".

1 Like

Re: Depression: An Important Message. by hydeka: 11:45am On Jun 24, 2015
laykorn:

Cc:
Ishilove
Lalasticlala
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 24, 2015
laykorn:

Cc:
Ishilove
Lalasticlala

Hello laykorn.
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by eleojo23: 6:03am On Jul 09, 2015
I created a similar topic last year about my friend's struggle with depression.

Many helpful contributions were made on that thread.

Below is the thread

https://www.nairaland.com/1893749/nigerians-dont-suffer-depression-really

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Depression: An Important Message. by hydeka: 5:15pm On Jul 15, 2015
FP finally.
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by shedrack2222: 5:29pm On Jul 15, 2015
Nice information

Timaya Welcomes Baby #2 And She’s Adorable (See Photo)

[url]proudlyweb.com/timaya-welcomes-baby-2-and-shes-adorable-see-photo[/url]
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Goddygee(m): 5:29pm On Jul 15, 2015
Download New Music Mp3: Vector - Kanawan Dabo >>> http://loadedgee.wapka.mobi/music/view/33908352
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by aaamos(m): 5:29pm On Jul 15, 2015
cc
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Goddygee(m): 5:30pm On Jul 15, 2015
Download Mp3: Vector - Kanawan Dabo >>>> http://loadedgee.wapka.mobi/music/view/33908352
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Ask4bigneyo(m): 5:30pm On Jul 15, 2015
GREAT. . ... OP THANK U OO
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Afrocatalyst: 5:30pm On Jul 15, 2015
There is always a breaking point. That I know well. Plssss try make yourself happy and also do things you love.
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Georgekyrian(m): 5:31pm On Jul 15, 2015
Weed @ work...

2 Likes

Re: Depression: An Important Message. by timilehing(m): 5:31pm On Jul 15, 2015
Ok
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by free2ryhme: 5:32pm On Jul 15, 2015
Best thread on nairaland in a long while

2 Likes

Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Alphastoner1(m): 5:32pm On Jul 15, 2015
This is kind of comforting. But not convincing to me
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by priiince(m): 5:33pm On Jul 15, 2015
Never saw this depression thing as an issue until I read comments, cheesy
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by hustler86(m): 5:35pm On Jul 15, 2015
Nice one. OP
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by nairalandbuzz(m): 5:35pm On Jul 15, 2015
Remembered when I was sick n d dpc diagnosed mild depression....

Went to general hospital, said not depression, was given some meds n got better...

God I thank thee.
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by gokay11(m): 5:37pm On Jul 15, 2015
Ok
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 15, 2015
Depression is very bad, after going cold turkey from tramadol, i had it with constant migraines and excessive body pains and lack of joy, tnk God its over now
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Seun(m): 5:41pm On Jul 15, 2015
The most important message is to see a psychiatrist.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Depression: An Important Message. by DworldsGM: 5:45pm On Jul 15, 2015
balm to a wounded heart
Re: Depression: An Important Message. by Viktor1983(m): 5:45pm On Jul 15, 2015
Seun:
The most important message is to see a psychiatrist.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Fearless Energy Drink Almost Sent Me To My Ancestors / Any Phytoscience Double Stemcell Testimonies? Pls Come In / Nigerian Hospital Closes Hole In Heart… Without Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.