Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,666 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

Hearts and Hints Magazines - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Hearts and Hints Magazines (45917 Views)

Hearts Of Steel / Free Ebooks, Magazines, Textbooks, Television Series Download For All / The Untold Story Of Distributing Newspapers And Magazines In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by Ndipe(m): 11:11pm On May 20, 2006
Thank God for opening my eyes, those magazines, Lolly (that featured Dauda) and Ikebe Super of the infamous Ajasco are pure garbage that has contributed to the high immorality in our youths. Shame on the founders. What is so thrilling about a man (Dauda) raping female acquaintances? Is that enjoyment? In America, that man would earn the wrath of the society for promoting rape. I hope God opens their eyes too for them to stop publishing these filthy garbage.

As for Hints magazine, I read it, but just did not tickle my fancy. People say it is a woman's magazine, but just can't believe that some folks would be so gullible to believe that those stories were real. I highly doubt the authenticity of those stories, but it's past me now.

What happened to Kayode Ajala?

My favorite was Quality Magazine. It went out of business shortly before I left Nigeria.
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by bluenubian(f): 2:05pm On Jul 14, 2006
wow remember those days, and u took em to school to read, lay it on ur lap with ur head on ur table and be inthe deep trance, wow the stories jus took u away, and dare not ur teacher see it, cause it will be gone for ever
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by Oracle(m): 2:59pm On Jul 14, 2006
bluenubian:

wow remember those days, and u took em to school to read, lay it on your lap with your head on your table and be inthe deep trance, wow the stories jus took u away, and dare not your teacher see it, cause it will be gone for ever
Funny, but very True.
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by dollypee1(f): 10:40pm On Jul 14, 2006
OOOOH,I MISS D MAGS TOO.ESPECIALLY BETTER LOVER,I MISS IT SO MUCH.MY BEST IS T & B MINI SERIES I NEVER MISS THAT EVERYWEEK.ILL GO CHECK OUT D AFRICAN STORES THEY MIGHT HAVE IT U NO ,U NEVER CAN TELL.WAIT A MINIUTE KAYODE AJALA,TONI -KAN,DOZIE,WALE LAWAL,PAMELA ;I HOPE ALL THIS PPLEARE STILL IN D MAGAZINES COS THEY ARE MY BEST WRITERS,I LAUGH TO THIER ARTICLES TO D EXTENT THAT MY MUM GET ANNOYED.
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by beyonce1(f): 11:00pm On Jul 14, 2006
OJIGBIJIGBIJIGBI !!! ---------- cheesy

HOW COME NO ONE MENTIONED ''ATOKA'' ---- If u remember this , i'd credit your account with some money, 'wanna bet ? ! smiley
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by swing4real(m): 2:31pm On Jul 15, 2006
I thought i was the only 1 dat miss the magazines, i miss dem alot, i learnt alot from them those dayz,
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by Badman888(m): 5:34pm On Jul 15, 2006
never read the magazine, but remember it back in the dayz when alot of girl bring it to school

1 Like

Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by waleleader(m): 5:36pm On Jul 15, 2006
Ndipe:

As for Hints magazine, I read it, but just did not tickle my fancy. People say it is a woman's magazine, but just can't believe that some folks would be so gullible to believe that those stories were real. I highly doubt the authenticity of those stories, but it's past me now.

What happened to Kayode Ajala?

i never really liked Hints, the stories were too stereotyped , it was so obvious they were fictions. Hearts is a better magazine, but i moved on years ago .

i think Kayode Ajala is now into National dailies in Nigeria and also works with Global excellence magazine, i must have  read his article once.

Anyway i am into Music and Sports magazines at the moment. Could anyone in Naija please  tell me the nice Music and sports magazines that are currently published. i know Hiphopworld and complete sports but thats all. I'll also be interested in Nigerian universities campus mags

naana:

Hints is sold in London i buy it almost every week. grin
Nana, could you please tell where you buy Hints in London. Maybe they may have some magazines i'd like.

i know of www.jaymags.com , but they dont sell youth mags
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 16, 2006
@ Beyonce i remember Atoka very well it used to be written in Yoruba grin so where's my money
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by beyonce1(f): 8:46pm On Jul 17, 2006
big it up girl ! cheesy , u r da bomb ! i've just processed a bacs payment into your account, check your balance within the next 2 working days grin
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by lopez(f): 6:17pm On Aug 18, 2006
hey beyounce be ready to empty your account cos i remember atoka very well, and do you know AKARERIN , i bet u don't it was a very old magazine , my mum's friend used to supply us .

Reading heart and hints was really fun , i got so addicted that i had to use my pocket money to buy it , and i dare not read it in front of my mum, i only read it at school or night with the lamp ,

thrillls and booms ( one stories) was the bomb , there was one c was my favourite , its was about 2 families enemies the da costa and adams, who children met on a flight to nigeria and started going out, , I still have my fantansy about it.
lovely days , hmm hmm
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by dollypee1(f): 6:25pm On Aug 18, 2006
how funny.i dont remember atoka but i do remember alaroye and akaye,i remember those very well.
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by samsonebele(m): 6:47am On Aug 20, 2006
@lopez , u must be an old timer at the western nigeria .so u 2 know akarerin . i believe u schooled at ibadan .one old man brought d book 2 my school on dat fateful day 4 sale but my teacher introduce it 2 us as AWORERIN .this incident occurred when i was in pry 6 in 198, it is only old timer dat can know it. do u still remember ur ALAWIYE (1-6) and N.O.E.C (Book 1-6)-our English textbook. i love those books especially the story about ALI AND THE ANGEL. I love reading about SORESA from my ALAWIYE. OH! primary education is no more wat it was in the good old days. @lopez ,do u still remember ur LACOMBE - Math text book and how does ur report card looks like .
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by gem87(f): 7:07pm On Aug 20, 2006
lol, i miss em too
damn dose books totally spoilt me o lol
started readin em wen i ws in primary schl
put a lot of ideas in my head lol
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by Seun(m): 7:09pm On Aug 20, 2006
Were those "ideas" of yours good or bad?

I definitely need to get these sumptous books. Based on what everyone is saying here, I've been missing a lot!
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by gem87(f): 7:13pm On Aug 20, 2006
lol, dat depends on wht u mean by good and bad
they give u d details of d luv makin sessions
imagine dat in the mind of a 9 yr old?
always had a curious mind so everything printed catches my attention
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by raphy(m): 8:26pm On Aug 20, 2006
hi all d girls
i read both mags i i love them it teaches som 1 bout d good bad n ugly side og life .
the mags is #150 now. kiss grin grin
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by lopez(f): 2:31pm On Aug 21, 2006
@SAMSOn

oh yeah it was aworerin n not akarerin , its was a long time ago , and u guessed right i schooled in bodija ibadan.
i can never forget N.O.C.E ,ALAWIYE etc, nursery was fun then , i love the ali and the angel too , my favorite was

MR GIWa is a shop keeper ,his shop is in lawal's village ,his shop is full of thing s to sell , one day lawal sister , i love it , was really cooll
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by lopez(f): 2:44pm On Aug 21, 2006
@samson, i can't remember lacombe i guess i used ODIAKKA am not sure though , but we have odiakka in our library so i assummed i used it . my report cards i still intact , my dad is very meticulous ,he kept everything including my notbooks and class drawings { when i used to struggle with how to draw a box , blime me!!!!} ,,one of the things i look forward to when going on holiday is going through the bookshelf n looking through my primary school stuff,

i love it
n SAMSON thx 4 bringing back the memories cheesy cheesy cheesy :
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by ireke(m): 5:48pm On Aug 30, 2006
beyonce1:

OJIGBIJIGBIJIGBI !!! ---------- cheesy

HOW COME NO ONE MENTIONED ''ATOKA'' ---- If u remember this , i'd credit your account with some money, 'want to bet ? ! smiley
ATOKA taught me to read yoruba. and by the way it had some adult sections too where one guy used to talk about his exploits with babe.
Now about IKEBE SUPER, why are people villifying Ikebe super? It surely was meant for matured readers but it was not as bad as people here are portraying it. It was not worse than "Lagos weekend" of those days but definitely not in the same league with Dauda the sexy guy. That is why the publisher is still relevant on TV today. Papa Ajasco (the main story of Ikebe) is now a famous TV show in naija and probably some african TV stations.
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by Radiant(f): 11:37pm On Aug 31, 2006
Good Lawd!!! What a thread! shocked
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by ginababy(f): 3:52pm On Sep 01, 2006
lol shocked what a hell why are sexy tongue hints not available can some one help me to get one this month or else i will go six feet. angry
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by raphy(m): 9:30pm On Sep 01, 2006
hi all wazup!
hints r still romantic and there true life story is always touching some one heart cry wink
hearts is sill d same thing but a bit diffrent kiss smiley
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by jaybaby(f): 8:15pm On Sep 08, 2006
Miss wetin? dat lie lie book! stop readinh it since 2001 tongue
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by Ndipe(m): 10:31am On May 01, 2007
Back then, there were some people who doubted the authenticity of the stories in Hints magazine. Then, perhaps, to prove that their stories were true, the editors of the magazine, Hints published a letter from a writer, who wrote that he was interested in having their pseudo stories published in their magazine. The editors countered back that they only published true life stories. For some teenagers, Hints was the 'sole ingredient' necessary to guide them in a relationship. For adults, we have doubts about the authenticity of those stories.
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by SMC(f): 8:00pm On May 01, 2007
Ndipe:

Back then, there were some people who doubted the authenticity of the stories in Hints magazine. Then, perhaps, to prove that their stories were true, the editors of the magazine, Hints published a letter from a writer, who wrote that he was interested in having their pseudo stories published in their magazine. The editors countered back that they only published true life stories. For some teenagers, Hints was the 'sole ingredient' necessary to guide them in a relationship. For adults, we have doubts about the authenticity of those stories.

Abeg Jo. While I am not saying that some of the stories were (or are) not true life stories supplied to the magazines by people, I can confidently say with no fear whatsoever that quite a number of the stories in both magazines were plagiarised from foreign magazines (e.g. True Story - which is an old british magazine) with names and locations changed.

I used to read both magazines and was disgusted by this fact. I remember writing to both on this matter and in typical 'Naija' style, my letter was no acknowledged.
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by Ndipe(m): 3:04am On May 02, 2007
Whether, they were lifted from another publication or not, the essence of my discourse was that some of those stories, in as much as Hints tried to pass off as "true life events" experienced by their contributors, were simply fake. Maybe those that were plagiarized from other magazines were actually true, but how can you be sure?

PS: Your attempt to be a whistle blower on Hints did not pan out, because you choose to direct your grievances towards the same medium, that you claimed were perpetrating the plagiarism scandal. What were you expecting? That they would publish your rebuttal? I doubt it, especially, when some of those stories were their meal ticket. An alternative would have been to write to other media houses, to expose Hints magazine. I am sure, your response would have been given attention from other competing media houses. There was one magazine called Akapa's top Magazine that published ludicrous claims about Michael Jackson having a Nigerian girlfriend, and all sorts of stories. He was exposed by some magazines like Classique, after their journalist(s) revealed that those pictures were lifted from Ebony magazine. The magazine eventually went out of business.
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by SMC(f): 8:52am On May 02, 2007
Ndipe:

PS: Your attempt to be a whistle blower on Hints did not pan out, because you choose to direct your grievances towards the same medium, that you claimed were perpetrating the plagiarism scandal. What were you expecting? That they would publish your rebuttal? I doubt it, especially, when some of those stories were their meal ticket. An alternative would have been to write to other media houses, to expose Hints magazine. I am sure, your response would have been given attention from other competing media houses. There was one magazine called Akapa's top Magazine that published ludicrous claims about Michael Jackson having a Nigerian girlfriend, and all sorts of stories. He was exposed by some magazines like Classique, after their journalist(s) revealed that those pictures were lifted from Ebony magazine. The magazine eventually went out of business.

FYI, I was not attempting to be a whistle blower, I just wanted them to know they were not fooling all their readers and maybe a little apology [ridiculous I know now but I was only in my early teens]. I remember Apata's magazine too, back then it claimed that the song 'Liberian Girl' was originally 'Nigerian Girl'. I remember reading that story till this very day
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by Ndipe(m): 10:11am On May 02, 2007
So, is Hints still in business? Never particularly cared for the magazine, really, but it was a hit with some of my female coursemates in college. Perhaps, the only column that sort of tickled my fancy then, was Fatherhood with Ibe. Ibe is the publisher of the magazine, and his column was about the joys and challenges of bringing up his children. I think one of the kid's name is Nkem. When I was back home a while back, the column was still thriving. His 2 elder kids, were now in boarding house, as he wrote, and it was quite fun reading it. You read the column, and it is as if you can visualize what exactly is going on, in the family. I'd say, they were upper middle class. I liked his column kind of reminds me of childhood back home, etc, etc. How I wish Nigeria would change.

Akapa's magazine, I fell hook, line and sinker for their stories, till Classique of MEE exposed them, that they were lifting their stories, from Ebony magazine, then stooped so low, to 'disfigure' those pictures. There was also prime people, with their spooky story, "It happened to me", and my favorite Quality magazine of Newswatch magazine. Life moves on but it is always fun to reminisce on the good old days of Naija.
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:45am On Sep 07, 2007
i miss those two magazines so much, whether they were true or fake, e kno concern me. all i know is they were entertaining.
Re: Hearts and Hints Magazines by dabreeze(m): 7:26pm On Aug 26, 2008
Sup YA'LL!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Here Is How To Get Any Fictional Novel By Any Author At All / Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail / How Gbenga Found Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.