Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,449 members, 7,846,867 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 04:54 AM

Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong (1223 Views)

s / My Lovely Dam Whelp Her Pups Yesterday Evening,total Of Six Puppies (pics) / Pregnant Dam Yet To Whelp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by BOUNTYDOG(m): 12:10pm On Jun 23, 2015
Please good vet Drs and experienced breeders in the house,I need your take on these,
1)Would you advice vaccinating a pregnant dog with DHLPP?
2)What are the advantages if yes,or disadvantages if no?

Note: Its a healthy dam we are sampling,that takes her vaccinations in due time.
Re: Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by knyte(m): 3:28pm On Jun 23, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:
Please good vet Drs and experienced breeders in the house,I need your take on these,
1)Would you advice vaccinating a pregnant dog with DHLPP?
2)What are the advantages if yes,or disadvantages if no?

Note: Its a healthy dam we are sampling,that takes her vaccinations in due time.
Had an experience with this too and didn't know which to do, finally decided to let her whelp and wait till av weaned d pups frm her before vaccinating cos I didn't knw if it would have any effect on her or d pups.
Re: Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by Prodeegee(m): 3:56pm On Jun 23, 2015
Now this is something you can't just decide.

You have to know how strong the last vaccine still is, vaccines can last over a year and are passed to offspring for the first few weeks.

If your dog has her vaccines in due time, there is no need for extra vaccines.

If you vaccinate a dog that still has some vaccines in her, her body would release antibodies to nullify the vaccine...

A friend does it once in every 2years and makes sure it's during a period she's pregnant.

It's deworming that has more complicated issues...not vaccinating.

Most pups die due to excess infestation of worms...that would further lead to parvo.

My opinion
Re: Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by younglawya(m): 4:03pm On Jun 23, 2015
Prodegee an excess infestation of worms don't cause parvo. The parvo virus does!!!
Re: Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by Prodeegee(m): 4:16pm On Jun 23, 2015
younglawya:
Prodegee an excess infestation of worms don't cause parvo. The parvo virus does!!!

smiley yessir!

http://www.lbah.com/word/parvo-virus/

Re: Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by BOUNTYDOG(m): 4:23pm On Jun 23, 2015
Wow thanks for ur response so far.
I want to believe its safe to vaccinate during pregnancy,
Re: Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by Prodeegee(m): 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:
Wow thanks for ur response so far.
I want to believe its safe to vaccinate during pregnancy,

Of course, no harm...it's a good risk.
Re: Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by younglawya(m): 6:20pm On Jun 23, 2015
Bros.

Does a weakened immune system cause or lead to parvo?? Do ticks cause or lead to parvo??

If the immune system is down or the puppy has all the worms in the world, if there are no strains of the virus in the environment the puppy won't get parvo.

Your argument is aking to saying that a lowered immune system lead to ebola
Re: Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by knyte(m): 6:52pm On Jun 23, 2015
Prodeegee:

Of course, no harm...it's a good risk.
Thanks for shedding light on this

1 Like

Re: Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by GRACEGLORY: 11:35am On Jun 24, 2015
Simply put and to be as safe as possible: vaccinations should not be given to pregnant animals, but most vaccinations are safe for nursing animals.
Re: Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by Prodeegee(m): 8:43pm On Jun 24, 2015
GRACEGLORY:
Simply put and to be as safe as possible: vaccinations should not be given to pregnant animals, but most vaccinations are safe for nursing animals.

Sorry, I think I missed the question. It's safe to vaccinate immediately the dog is on heat...That's before breeding.

You don't have to wait till she's pregnant since vaccination breaks down the immune system, you dont want to weaken a pregnant dam's immune system.

Cc: knyte, bountydog
Re: Vaccinating A Pregnant Dam Right Or Wrong by knyte(m): 10:18pm On Jun 24, 2015
Prodeegee:

Sorry, I think I missed the question. It's safe to vaccinate immediately the dog is on heat...That's before breeding.

You don't have to wait till she's pregnant since vaccination breaks down the immune system, you dont want to weaken a pregnant dam's immune system.

Cc: knyte, bountydog
I quite agree with you because like humans I feel dogs can react differently to vaccine shots. Some may not have any noticeable reaction and some can. So I feel it's more than safe to do what u said, vac just before breeding ND probably not when she's pregnant already

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

You All Should Look At My Girl Jasmine. / Pls Guess What Breed This Dog Is / American Eskimo Female Puppies For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.