Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,246 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Reasons Behind The Declining Quality Of Music In Nigeria. Part 1 - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Reasons Behind The Declining Quality Of Music In Nigeria. Part 1 (823 Views)

Get The Best Finish Of Music/video Promotion To Stardom At Affordable Prices / 8 Nigerian Musicians That Needed To Stop Making Music In 2016 / Latest Naija Music In Last 7 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Behind The Declining Quality Of Music In Nigeria. Part 1 by ellyric(m): 10:42pm On Jun 23, 2015
I have taking time to observe the trend of the music industry in Nigeria and I have been able to point out indigenous factors that militate against the quality of music released on daily basis. I would like to share my observations, provide opinionated solutions and also get feedback on practical solutions from you. I identified five negative factors that Nigerian artist and producers are susceptible to and they are:
The bandwagon consequence: This is a phenomenon whereby the rate of uptake of beliefs, ideas, fact and trend increases the more that they have already been adopted by others. This definition fully describes the mess the Nigerian music industry has found herself. It is a known fact that when a music pattern goes viral it automatically becomes the benchmark for all other artist and producers (applicable to dance styles and videos). This trend has to halt because it is rapidly sucking the life off the quality of music we hear. For instance, we witness several artists adopting the skelewu, azonto, shoki e.t.c when they were in vogue. Literally, the artists would fill air play with the same beats, slang and music composition which is boring to true music lovers. The reason is the “wanna be syndrome”, gaining cheap popularity by reaping where they did not sow. I honestly, feel that this is the main virus eating up the creativity and ingenuity of young talented musicians. The solution is for upcoming acts to create a niche for themselves and be consistent with a music genre. The first step is the “man know thy self” philosophy, the greatest mistake an artist can make is doubting himself (demeaning your strength/competences). Stick to what works for you and improve on your style by steering up the creativity within you. For example, there are several indigenous artists that have branded themselves with a style of music and they are blessed with loyal followers. The truth is that you may like Phyno and I may prefer Asa, that’s life. We would start enjoying more of good music in Nigeria when everyone sticks to their style and capitalize on their strength.
Try and error syndrome (for producers): I have discovered over the years that over 60percent of producers I have meet are not grounded fundamentally on the professionalism of music production. Producers are the brains behind the quality of music released daily; they can either make you or ruin you as an artist. The emergence of music production DAWs and highly intelligent plugins have made indigenous producers ignore the act of apprenticeship thereby lacking sufficient knowledge in the technicalities involved in making music. I noticed that once an individual can make a rhythm on the computer, he is labelled a “producer”. I feel producers should take more time in learning their trade, don’t try to do all yourself. Share ideas on song arrangement/composition, instrumentation, mixing and mastering etc. I would prefer a situation responsibilities are shared among producers based on their competences. For illustration, Laye by kiss Daniel was produced (instrumental) by Dj Coublon and mixed by Sheyman. This type of synergy could bring the best off a song. As entertainers, we always need support to grow fast. If u need a song writer, a mixing and mastering engineer, slay your silly pride and call for one. I Wish for an era in Nigeria where songwriters, instrumentalist, producers, mixing and mastering engineers would gain due recognition in Nigeria.

Cc lalasticlala, ishilove, chronique, airforce1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Behind The Declining Quality Of Music In Nigeria. Part 1 by chronique(m): 10:56pm On Jun 23, 2015
Yea;you're on point there. It's same thing I've been saying to a lot of people. I stopped buying the crap Nigerian artistes put up for sale. The only Nigerian album I've picked up recently,is Sean Tizzle's album.
ellyric:
I have taking time to observe the trend of the music industry in Nigeria and I have been able to point out indigenous factors that militate against the quality of music released on daily basis. I would like to share my observations, provide opinionated solutions and also get feedback on practical solutions from you. I identified five negative factors that Nigerian artist and producers are susceptible to and they are:
The bandwagon consequence: This is a phenomenon whereby the rate of uptake of beliefs, ideas, fact and trend increases the more that they have already been adopted by others. This definition fully describes the mess the Nigerian music industry has found herself. It is a known fact that when a music pattern goes viral it automatically becomes the benchmark for all other artist and producers (applicable to dance styles and videos). This trend has to halt because it is rapidly sucking the life off the quality of music we hear. For instance, we witness several artists adopting the skelewu, azonto, shoki e.t.c when they were in vogue. Literally, the artists would fill air play with the same beats, slang and music composition which is boring to true music lovers. The reason is the “wanna be syndrome”, gaining cheap popularity by reaping where they did not sow. I honestly, feel that this is the main virus eating up the creativity and ingenuity of young talented musicians. The solution is for upcoming acts to create a niche for themselves and be consistent with a music genre. The first step is the “man know thy self” philosophy, the greatest mistake an artist can make is doubting himself (demeaning your strength/competences). Stick to what works for you and improve on your style by steering up the creativity within you. For example, there are several indigenous artists that have branded themselves with a style of music and they are blessed with loyal followers. The truth is that you may like Phyno and I may prefer Asa, that’s life. We would start enjoying more of good music in Nigeria when everyone sticks to their style and capitalize on their strength.
Try and error syndrome (for producers): I have discovered over the years that over 60percent of producers I have meet are not grounded fundamentally on the professionalism of music production. Producers are the brains behind the quality of music released daily; they can either make you or ruin you as an artist. The emergence of music production DAWs and highly intelligent plugins have made indigenous producers ignore the act of apprenticeship thereby lacking sufficient knowledge in the technicalities involved in making music. I noticed that once an individual can make a rhythm on the computer, he is labelled a “producer”. I feel producers should take more time in learning their trade, don’t try to do all yourself. Share ideas on song arrangement/composition, instrumentation, mixing and mastering etc. I would prefer a situation responsibilities are shared among producers based on their competences. For illustration, Laye by kiss Daniel was produced (instrumental) by Dj Coublon and mixed by Sheyman. This type of synergy could bring the best off a song. As entertainers, we always need support to grow fast. If u need a song writer, a mixing and mastering engineer, slay your silly pride and call for one. I Wish for an era in Nigeria where songwriters, instrumentalist, producers, mixing and mastering engineers would gain due recognition in Nigeria.

Cc lalasticlala, ishilove, chronique, airforce1

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Behind The Declining Quality Of Music In Nigeria. Part 1 by chinney: 10:18am On Jun 24, 2015
Nice thred op... Stuffs like this should be on FP, I am really tired of hearing wack songs!
Re: Reasons Behind The Declining Quality Of Music In Nigeria. Part 1 by Prestige324: 12:58am On Jun 25, 2015
Wizkid new song with Mgazeen and Wale titled, so low

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDaL4PDmpdE

(1) (Reply)

Leak: LIL Kesh – “am I Mad” Ft. Mvp / Koredo Bello Releases New Song “mungo Park” / Fuel Scarcity: New Music By Dre San Titled Epo Tiwon "Fuel Don Scarce"(download)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.