Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,437 members, 7,839,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market (18502 Views)

You Too Can Profit Consistently From FOREX Trading / CBN Warns Nigerians Against “MMM”, Calls It Wonder Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by elohorayodele: 8:23pm On Jun 24, 2015
Crash it still will
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by onatisi(m): 8:29pm On Jun 24, 2015
I look and laugh grin grin nigerians go hear am wella in dis 4yrs grin you don't know the value of what you have until you lose it
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by meforyou1(m): 8:33pm On Jun 24, 2015
Who's talking of dangote rice? We have quality local made rice in Nigeria. Patronise them. Ever since I started buying and eating Abakaliki rice 2 years, I have never thought of buying foreign rice again, except basmati that I buy once in a while.
Why should we give businessman forex to go and import toothpick or plywood with all the forests in Nigeria?
Or fish with all the fishes in nigeria's plenty water. Will miss geisha though

2 Likes

Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jun 24, 2015
Authority Stealing don start cheesy cheesy

[flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAeFRg1Bag8
[/flash]
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by ednut1(m): 8:35pm On Jun 24, 2015
grin posted this first mods sobs, expected a hike in foodprices .
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by 4lashyme: 8:35pm On Jun 24, 2015
I Honestly think this is a nice policy. i also understand that it will not be easy for the poor masses in the short term, but will pay-off in the medium and long term.

We should not cloud our selves with who becomes rich from this policy and which part of the country He/She is from. We should look at the policy from an overall economic veiw. Our dollar reserve is droping fast partly because of fall in oil price and also our heavy dependence in dollar transactions {IMPORTATION}. This policy is trying to increase the cost of improtation as against local production. Notice that customs just removed the ban on most of these goods mention here by CBN, but slaped a minimum of 35% duty on them. this is not good news to importers. the people smiling here are the industrialist that have been calling for these mesures and preparing for their implimentation.

For the unrepentant importers i'll say it's a wake up call. We have a lot of wealthy people from all regions of the country, but very few had the believe to invest and build industries here. If these policy is going to help the few industrialist who believed in the "Nigerian Project" - So be it.
I would rather we have a few wealthy industrialist employing millions of our youths and giving them hope than have a million rich men with no real investment in the country.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by laboguashi(m): 8:39pm On Jun 24, 2015
NairaQuest:
This is a very poor policy. Those affected will resort to the black market to get the dollar they need and that will put pressure on the naira. I see the Naira trading at 250 to the dollar by December

The price of uncle ben's rice will increase and the prices of the other affected items and thar may fuel inflation

Unless there is an alternative for those things, Nigerians are in for a bad season

The margin between 222 and 250 is too small. I see it getting closer to 300 by December if this memo is not reversed.
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by sharply5: 8:46pm On Jun 24, 2015
NairaQuest:
This is a very poor policy. Those affected will resort to the black market to get the dollar they need and that will put pressure on the naira. I see the Naira trading at 250 to the dollar by December

The price of uncle ben's rice will increase and the prices of the other affected items and thar may fuel inflation

Unless there is an alternative for those things, Nigerians are in for a bad season

Until we begin to produce and manufacture, either via SMEs or just anyhow....manufacture some or all of these small items,there is no policy the CBN puts in place that will hold water if at all it will just be for the short run. So in my estimation the CBN governor and ''them'' they know themselves ...they know what they are doing...it's only the already ''raped'' and impoverished masses that bears the brunt . A situation were 2 square meals a day is gradually becoming a luxury...let me hear somebody say largest economy again...Nonsense

3 Likes

Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by Stolen: 9:05pm On Jun 24, 2015
atlwireles: 4:32pm
You are only sending them to the black market. More business for Mallams. angry End result is the increasing spread between the official and black market rates , making round tripping by banks a more lucrative business. You end up putting more pressure on the Naira

This is the change some were chanting. Yesterday was the lifting of textile and furniture ban.

Nigeria has entered one chance. Waiting for the reversal of the automobile policy.

[b]Very sad, we are slowing watching a 1980s policy template.

Nigeria tightens controls on foreign exchange

The Nigerian central bank has imposed new foreign exchange controls to try to stem the flow of dollars out of the country.
It means importers will not be able to get hard currency to buy a list of 40 items ranging from rice to cement.
The list includes Indian incense, plastic and rubber products, soap and even private jets.
It has also restricted access to the interbank currency market for the purchase of foreign currency bonds.
In April, the central bank limited the amount that Nigerians could spend on credit cards abroad.
The Nigerian currency, the naira, has plunged because of the fall in the oil price.
The central bank has spent $3.4bn propping it up since it fixed the exchange rate in February and tightened trading rules to curb speculation.
Black market
"We see this policy move as confirmation that foreign exchange supply remains extremely tight. But more worryingly, it suggests that the central bank remains reluctant to devalue the naira," said Yvonne Mhango, sub-Saharan Africa economist at Renaissance Capital.
The central bank has said in the past that devaluing the naira by allowing it to float freely on the currency markets is not an option.
The naira, which was trading at 198.50 to the dollar on the interbank market, was reported to be trading close to 220 on the black market in the commercial capital, Lagos, on Wednesday.
Analysts said the latest measures meant importers would increasingly turn to the black market to buy dollars.
Cobus de Hart of South Africa's NKC Africa Economics said: "The decision to, in effect, introduce additional capital controls does not bode well in relation to investor perception and may also adversely affect domestic business operations and costs."[/b]

http://www.bbc.com/news/business

On point!
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by Stolen: 9:17pm On Jun 24, 2015
This policy is about maintaining the status quo and enriching Dangote, Buhari did not consider local industry wen he lifted the ban on Furniture and Textile just yesterday but here he is placing ban on the commodities of the common man, so Dangote can fix the price and enrich himself without us having any cheaper alternative.

Nigeria is doomed with this kind of economy management.

1 Like

Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by lawallawal86(m): 9:28pm On Jun 24, 2015
atlwireles:
aniomi please come post your change chanting GIF.

Let's make no mistake about it, Nigeria is in for real turbulent times. The Duara Dullard has returned to his 1980s playbook. It failed in 1983-1985, it will fail again. We live in a world of free flowing capital, he is building checkpoints for capital. Only the Daura President and his almajiri supporters see any good in his madness.
been too sentimental can cause brain tumor, pls beware of that you are too sentimental
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by atlwireles: 9:35pm On Jun 24, 2015
lawallawal86:
been too sentimental can cause brain tumor, pls beware of that you are too sentimental

Almajiri, Keep your advise for your Daura President
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by M4gunners: 9:36pm On Jun 24, 2015
For me this is a good development. I don't know why some people are calling Dangote instead of asking FG to invest more in farming. This is a Country with population of over 160millions yet we still import everything,turn back to cry of unemployment. It is not everybody that will work in Office, some should start thinking of farming now.

1 Like

Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by ohenhen1: 9:38pm On Jun 24, 2015
Good move by the government. We produce enough rice in Nigeria. That should save us on the forex. We should also make sure that locally refined oil is done in Naira. Also keep the current auto policy.
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by angelberton(f): 9:45pm On Jun 24, 2015
I support those measures but is Nigeria self-sufficient in rice production?

If not, then rice should be exempted because it will only affect the poor people whose staple food is rice.
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by collinsVP: 10:07pm On Jun 24, 2015
If this policy was meant to increase the cost prices of imported products, and encourage growth of local industries, and the policy does not factor in other factors that informs consumers' choice of product other than price - taste, quality, ostensible nature of some Nigeria consumers etc. The policy will not achieve it's objective. Why? Because most of the aforementioned products in the policy have near perfect inelasticity. If CBN thinks that increase in prices that would be brought about by buying forex from parallel market will lead to fall in demand of imported product and consequently discourage importation, other demand determinants other than price could offset that.

Total ban could have done the job if well enforced. To give more life line to the policy, locally manufactured products must be significantly subsidized by government to - in the short run compel consumers to have a taste of made in Nigeria product. And SON must do its job without compromise.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by ubath(m): 10:19pm On Jun 24, 2015
ajalaolanr:
CBN just made dangote richer by the dozen!
so you prefer to enrich a foreigner thatn to enrich your country man?
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 24, 2015
atlwireles:
aniomi please come post your change chanting GIF.

Let's make no mistake about it, Nigeria is in for real turbulent times. The Duara Dullard has returned to his 1980s playbook. It failed in 1983-1985, it will fail again. We live in a world of free flowing capital, he is building checkpoints for capital. Only the Daura President and his almajiri supporters see any good in his madness.
You see why you are a Nausary School dropped out !!! Anyway what do you expect from a Roadside up bringing undecided undecided undecided
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by ubath(m): 10:21pm On Jun 24, 2015
What is the big deal if Dagote is getting richer. Is he a China man?
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by atlwireles: 10:26pm On Jun 24, 2015
ZuzuMan:
You see why you are a Nausary School dropped out !!! Anyway what do you expect from a Roadside up bringing undecided undecided undecided

Look at the crying bastarddd, have you eaten tonight cheesy
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by Truckpusher(m): 10:29pm On Jun 24, 2015
ZuzuMan:
You've got every right to kill your English Teacher. grin grin grin
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by DanjaNinja(m): 10:29pm On Jun 24, 2015
The current CBN governor should get the award of being the dumbest CBN governor of all time! What policy has this man implemented to better the life of the average Nigerian? Seriously,name one.

First, he introduced the N65 charge on ATM withdrawals. Followed by a reduction in the daily spending limit of Nigerian debit cards from $1200 to $300 causing untold hardship for Nigerians living abroad. Now this - restriction of Forex to importers.

While this new policy may seem wise at first, on close examination it becomes obvious that its a very dumb move. Usually, before imposing restriction to discourage import, a sane government provides an enabling environment to support local production. Subsidies. Tax breaks. Production infrastructure. Power. You name it. A sane government provides it all. Not so in Nigeria. We believe in the opposite - lock up the doors, throw away the keys and expect the economy to magically improve by itself. Forgetting that importers would always seek ways to beat the system. In this case buying from black market at a much higher cost which would inevitably lead to a rise in prices - causing untold suffering to the average Nigerian. How Dumb! How Dumb!! And where is Buhari when you need him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by Dbboy(m): 10:36pm On Jun 24, 2015
pipz:

http://www.punchng.com/news/cbn-stops-forex-sales-to-rice-private-jet-importers/

Mrs ezekwesile obi should come and tell us what reserve is the cbn talking about.

Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by DanjaNinja(m): 10:39pm On Jun 24, 2015
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by eddybanty(m): 10:43pm On Jun 24, 2015
will it revamp our economy?
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by onatisi(m): 11:36pm On Jun 24, 2015
eddybanty:
will it revamp our economy?
no no no, the black market can't satisfy the exchange demand of importers, which means the scarce or limited supply of foreign currency at the black market will priced beyond the reach of most importers and manufacturers , dollar may likely rise as high as 300. Many companies may or will be forced to close or scale down their production because imported raw materials and goods will rise to reflect the price change. Don't forget also that subsidy will soon be removed which means the rich will keep getting richer, this is what I call daura economics from buhari

1 Like

Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by bummyla(m): 11:39pm On Jun 24, 2015
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by twosquare(m): 11:40pm On Jun 24, 2015
bushdoc9919:

My friend...stop blaming Dangote!

And why should Nigeria be an import driven nation?

If you want to blame someone....

1)Blame Saudi Arabia.....who caused the oil price to drop because they just had to up production to force the American shale oil producers out of business.

2.Blame your past govts....who kept our economy so oil dependent....that we do not have a decent industrial sector (Dangote is at least trying to stop the downfall of our industries.).

And we do not have enough FOREX in this country anymore because we are not making money from oil at all!

Instead of complaining about Dangote....telll your state governors and Abuja to put in place polices that will create more Dangotes. So that we can export industrial products, earn gallons of forex, and create a ton of jobs for all.

Infact....we Nigerians should be ashamed of ourselves. Why should we be importing rice and cement? Why?

Now is Nigeria's chance....industrial greatness....or nothing!
I like your analysis but if Nigeria can't fix the energy sector(electricity )... God help us, the economy may crumble. Such sector gives rapid and catalystic effect.
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by twosquare(m): 11:46pm On Jun 24, 2015
4lashyme:
I Honestly think this is a nice policy. i also understand that it will not be easy for the poor masses in the short term, but will pay-off in the medium and long term.

We should not cloud our selves with who becomes rich from this policy and which part of the country He/She is from. We should look at the policy from an overall economic veiw. Our dollar reserve is droping fast partly because of fall in oil price and also our heavy dependence in dollar transactions {IMPORTATION}. This policy is trying to increase the cost of improtation as against local production. Notice that customs just removed the ban on most of these goods mention here by CBN, but slaped a minimum of 35% duty on them. this is not good news to importers. the people smiling here are the industrialist that have been calling for these mesures and preparing for their implimentation.

For the unrepentant importers i'll say it's a wake up call. We have a lot of wealthy people from all regions of the country, but very few had the believe to invest and build industries here. If these policy is going to help the few industrialist who believed in the "Nigerian Project" - So be it.
I would rather we have a few wealthy industrialist employing millions of our youths and giving them hope than have a million rich men with no real investment in the country.
how will they build, when common electricity we cannot fix. When I run my industry on diesel and fuelling my machines is more than the profit, won't I go somewhere else?

1 Like

Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by Gorimakpa1: 11:46pm On Jun 24, 2015
speculation, speculation, speculation, speculation
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by scentmarlc(m): 11:54pm On Jun 24, 2015
NairaQuest:

I cant agree with you more.

[size=20pt] Stop scrolling abeg read my signature joor [/size]
Re: CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market by scentmarlc(m): 11:55pm On Jun 24, 2015
Gorimakpa1:
speculation, speculation, speculation, speculation

Oga bozz, how body

[size=20pt] Stop scrolling abeg read my signature joor [/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period / More Foreign Investors Leave As FPI Flows Crash By 228% / Pennywise Wealth Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.