Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,636 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:41 AM

The Many Sides To Living In Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Many Sides To Living In Lagos (692 Views)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Images That Perfectly Describe Living In Abuja!!!! / 9 Things People Living In Lagos Can Relate To. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Many Sides To Living In Lagos by Jovago: 1:30pm On Jun 24, 2015

Lagos is the nerve center of Nigeria. With its eclectic mix of grunge and classy, for many first-timers, it’s a rising image of New York; only busier and hotter.

As a result, the city has experienced a growing influx of people from parts of West Africa and the world at large. Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 Hotel Booking Portal writes about the diversity that makes Lagos tick as well as the good and not-so-cute points to note while thinking of residing in ‘Nigeria’s mega-city’.

The Good…

Lagos Never Sleeps

This is true. Lagosians don’t sleep. It is either they are selling their wares or engaged in leisure activities. In addition to this, no matter the time you arrive in Lagos, you will get a vehicle heading to your destination.

Entertainment Capital of Nigeria

You can get the best fun spots and nightlife in Lagos! Bars, hotels, restaurants, beaches, and tourist sites are available in every nook and cranny of the city.

You will survive as far as you can hustle

Lagos is not for lazy hands. If you are hardworking and committed, you will survive in the city no matter the activity you are engaged in. Are you a bus conductor or driver, shopkeeper or office worker? The veracity is that you will survive as long as you give your best. This is one key reason why many from the North and East are flocking into Lagos on a daily basis. Even a Hausa shoemaker can live on his cobbling job without worries.

Access to infrastructure and other daily needs

You need to travel to other parts of Nigeria to appreciate this more. Lagos offers you everything. From good relaxation spots to excellent hotels, good communication network, transportation, electricity, fuel, and a handful of other infrastructures. Youth Corpers posted outside Lagos can narrate their experiences to you!

The Bad…

Pick Pockets

You may want to hold on to your wallet a little tighter when next you visit a crowded venue. Just as it is in most parts of the world, sometimes an itchy hand may be heading for your pocket, so you need to be a little careful.

Change Wahala

When you board a bus in Lagos, carrying cash in smaller denominations is helpful. This is can save you time and keep your interaction with the conductors smooth. However, if you happen to have only large denominations, remember to collect your change at the end of the trip.

Forever in a Hurry

Lagosians are always in a hurry, this gets you wondering where they are actually going. Moving at a pace similar to the one you observe around you can save you from being brushed up against or asked to move to the side of the like road. Also, try not to visit business or leisure places without a guide…or at least until you have a get to know the city really well.

Traffic Gridlock

Like most business capitals of the world, this is probably the tricky side of living in Lagos. The traffic is inescapable. Depending on where you stay, if you have an appointment for 8 am, you should leave your home at 5 am to ensure that you beat the gridlock and meet up with the appointment.

1 Like

Re: The Many Sides To Living In Lagos by pryd(m): 2:46pm On Jun 24, 2015
Lagos is such a fascinating city, serving you the good, the bad and the not good at allgrin..Behold Lagos! Savour it in its entirety!...embrace the splendour.. cool
Lovely piece!

1 Like

Re: The Many Sides To Living In Lagos by pryd(m): 3:04pm On Jun 24, 2015
You have to marvel at the artistry of some of these pick pocket icons.
Some years ago, I was trying to locate an address somewhere at Mafoluku when some area boys accosted me. After a brief interrogation, they freed me. I had only taken a couple of steps when they summoned me back. "Take your wallet jorr" one of them said, OMG "my wallet?" shocked
How they fished it, I couldn't tell. I was in absolute shock! I would have been stranded if I didn't locate the address finally sad, no be small thing.

To all the pick pockets on NL, I troway salute! wink

1 Like

Re: The Many Sides To Living In Lagos by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:30am On Jun 25, 2015
Is there any part of the country where you won't make it if you work hard?
Re: The Many Sides To Living In Lagos by SIRANDREWS: 9:53am On Jun 25, 2015
Lagos is a ........

(1) (Reply)

Another Ghastly Accident At Ago Iwoye/shiun Road / 11 Categories Of Okada Riders In Naija / Drivers Protest Robbery Attack, Block Ife Highway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.