Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,188 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" (14522 Views)

Nigeria’s CBN Is Printing Money To Keep The Govt Afloat & Alarms Are Ringing. / The CBN Is Winning But Pessimists Still Complain - Dele Sobowale / What Exactly Will Go Wrong If The CBN Floods The Economy With Dollars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by luorquay: 11:31am On Jun 26, 2015
winodey:
Actor Ik Ogbonna And Sonia Morales Set To Wed
www.steadygist.com/2015/06/actor-ik-ogbonna-and-sonia-morales-set.html?m=1a
How dis one take concern the topic of discussion

2 Likes

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by Nobody: 11:35am On Jun 26, 2015
Flets:
Buhari's government have started on a very wrong note. They are getting it wrong on all sides.... maybe we should have insisted in sighting that WAEC certificate.

So many disjointed policies..... You lift the ban on furniture and textile thereby discouraging the local industry and two days after the ban rice, margarine cement importers from obtaining FX from banks under the guise of encouraging local industry.

Why take such step at a time your naira is struggling knowing fully well that these guys would dive into the parallel market causing some scarcity and driving up parallel prices?.... why not increase the import duties on these products instead to discourage import and encourage local production? why stifle an already struggling FX environment.

Absolutely silly decisions by Buhari and his co-travellers
You and I know that if there's increase in import duties, some of us will still complain and call him clueless. Although am against lifting the ban on foreign furniture e.t.c because it discourages local production.
Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by Flets: 11:41am On Jun 26, 2015
asuustrike2009:

You and I know that if there's increase in import duties, some of us will still complain and call him clueless. Although am against lifting the ban on foreign furniture e.t.c because it discourages local production.

This is simple economics. We should be increasing the import duties on products for which we have local alternatives. Rice, cement etc are being produced locally...... and in fair competition, the local products should flood the market following the resultant increase in the imported products.

The importers can set up for local production if they are keen on trading same product line. It is only wrong to increase custom duties on products for which you don't have local alternatives.

3 Likes

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by cecegorz(m): 11:41am On Jun 26, 2015
Lakeshizu:
Your first statement is wrong, did you remember that CBN recently registered Bureau the Change agents. With that they will monitor and control their activities.
You really believe that parallel market is restricted to the registered BDCs?
Who registered the mallams at MMIA, Alade market, Shiita roundabout etc...

1 Like

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by ocelot2006(m): 11:42am On Jun 26, 2015
Luedave:
what is CBN

Please tell me this is a joke, 'cos you may need to ask your teachers for a refund oh.
Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by litaninja(m): 11:50am On Jun 26, 2015
While mostly true, in my humble opinion, I think there's a bit of putting the cart before the horse here. We are importing majorly because the infrastructure needed to produce over here are not in place. I believe some of these need to be addressed BEFORE the constriction and restrictions are put in place...

ideologies:
It's very unfortunate people don't understand policies and nobody is educating the masses.

The restrictions on FX is because of falling value of Naira.

1. The policy discourages importation/capital flight , hence enteprenuers are supposed to seek alternatives like producing these items and exporting them.
This way the value of naira will increase

2. Also those exporting raw materials should add value to it which will in turn add value to naira
Eg raw materials like cashew, cassAva, timber solid minerals etc that we export should be added value and turned into a finished product. instead of importing these finished products.

3. The banks are at fault, they refuse to give loans to SME's because they want high interest. This will encourage manufacturing industries hence the value of naira would rise. They rather give the loans to big ogas most of them are into importation busineses(capital flight) hence the value of naira will keep falling.

4. Nigeria have depended for so long on Fx from crude oil, and not reinvesting in other sectors. Time to diversify. #Solid minerals and Agriculture is the future

As long as we keep importing, the value of naira will continue to drop.
Thank God they are planning to place bans on more items

1 Like

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by bidex(m): 12:01pm On Jun 26, 2015
chukuli:
make sure it is frm ukwale
yes ooo! after i shack am finish, i go top am with sapele water
Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by persius555(m): 12:04pm On Jun 26, 2015
All CBN is saying is we have rice plantations all over, go and harvest and do business with that, we have cement, go and invest in that like dangote, we have palm oil dont import with our, scarce hard earned foreign currency, we have chicken, turkey and the rest, you dont have to import make do with the ones we have. Its a known fact that 8 out of 10 vessels that arrive in apapa port on a weekly basis are either carrying rice, sugar, petrol. All these can be produced locally. The CBN too need to work on reducing interest on loans. The only thing nigeria exports is crude oil and we import virtually any garbage, so long as it will come through the high sea..

1 Like

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by ednut1(m): 12:05pm On Jun 26, 2015
Rip to naira

2 Likes

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by menxer: 12:10pm On Jun 26, 2015
Youngzedd:

The banks are after their interest alone.

...and so are our National Assembly members.

1 Like

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by musicwriter(m): 12:30pm On Jun 26, 2015
One of the things the CBN should do to help this situation is start encouraging more dollar inflows anyhow they can. Example; by allowing Nigerians receive paypal payments. So far, Nigerians wire millions of dollars per day overseas in purchases, but we're not allowed to receive. The CBN should get paypal and the rest of those payment platforms to allow Nigerians receive money as well. This will certainly help, no matter how little.

2 Likes

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by 989900: 12:33pm On Jun 26, 2015
Kufie:
Man I'm sick of this country already. They never get anything right.

They never get anything right simply because, they never set out to do the right thing for the country, rather, for their vested interests.
Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by 989900: 12:37pm On Jun 26, 2015
What we have is a systemic problem.

No one single solution i.e. exports/imports and e.t.c can fix it.

The FG, CBN, NNPC, BDCs and the banks are in bed to rob the people.
Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by Folksyharry(m): 12:43pm On Jun 26, 2015
Kufie:

sorry o.
see as you just let everything out. I'm sick of the country too. the problem of this country is so huge it makes me wonder sometimes if we are ever going to get better.
Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by juman(m): 1:10pm On Jun 26, 2015
Kufie:

That is nigeria for you.

grin grin grin grin grin

Country of bad leaders.
Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by juman(m): 1:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
There is very little the CBN Governor can do in isolation and must partner with other arms of government to avoid a run-away value of the naira,
” said Femi Olaloku, Executive Director, Treasury at UBA said.

Run-away value of the naira.

May be 400 naira to one dollar.

grin grin grin

54 years country that has everything but with very useless
"leaders" that mismanage everything.
Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by Eluala(m): 1:25pm On Jun 26, 2015
Flets:
Buhari's government have started on a very wrong note. They are getting it wrong on all sides.... maybe we should have insisted in sighting that WAEC certificate.

So many disjointed policies..... You lift the ban on furniture and textile thereby discouraging the local industry and two days after the ban rice, margarine cement importers from obtaining FX from banks under the guise of encouraging local industry.

Why take such step at a time your naira is struggling knowing fully well that these guys would dive into the parallel market causing some scarcity and driving up parallel prices?.... why not increase the import duties on these products instead to discourage import and encourage local production? why stifle an already struggling FX environment.

Please cut the man some slack. He has been busy with rearing cows since 1985 so he is not in tune with the complex nature of macro and micro economic policies and their effects on the citizenry. They are too complicated issues and he needs at least 6 months to understand what is going. Lest I forget, he also knows how to fight corruption only with his mouth though.

Sequence of decisions and actions so far:

1. Order Festus Keyamo to step down from prosecuting Timipre Sylva.

2. Federal High Court dismisses allegations of corruption and discharges Timipre Sylva. So much for corruption fighter.

3. He appoints 2 people of similar experience for same role - just that one is special adviser and the other is senior special assistant. Meanwhile on TV he is cutting cost of governance.

4. He visits Niger and Chad to seek assistance and support to fight Boko Haram - Meanwhile a few months ago he exactly said ''It is a big shame that Nigeria is depending on Chad to defeat Boko Haram''.

5. While still on it, he travels to Germany and comes back to address the press on National TV to state that he just had a meeting with 'President Mitchelle of West Germany'. Please understand with him since he has been hibernating in Daura, where there is no CNN to see Berlin wall destruction in 1989.

6. He goes to South Africa and tells them he is too old to do certain things at 72. Is that so?

7. Then he naively plays the ostrich in the emerging game of thrones taking place at the NASS only to come back after the damage has been done to 'boil' with rage..I laugh in Chinese..

8. Lest I forget, while he invited his party men to a meeting at ICC at 9 am, NASS election in Senate was already communicated to start at 10 am. What fools actually leaves a very important planned engagement to be at the wrong place at the wrong time? Actually the Bible described some 5 people who did such a thing as fools.

9. Then comes the bombshell of checkpoint dismantling nationwide without due consultation only for the somersault after meeting with the Govs.

10. Today Baba blames late hand over of reports by GEJ for delay in establishing a cabinet, tomorrow he claims treasury is empty. Please can someone tell him that was why he was elected - to fix these issues. He should quit complaining and do the work. We don't have time to endure more rudderless, clueless and out of wit leadership. He won the election 3 months ago and already knew there would be a cabinet. He does not hand over notes to select a team.

BABA things are going out of hand o...Please show all working Sir. We love you but we can't remain like this any longer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 26, 2015
Buhari did not appoint Godwin as the Governor of CBN. Godwin was the former MD of Zenith bank who was appointed to replace Sanusi - He is a Jonathan/Iweala pet dog whose sole job was to cover up all the foreign currency they stole for campaign. Don't forget too quickly!!!

Some people in certain quarters will even say the man helped launder the 20 billion USD alleged to be missing by Sanusi... Again, no evidence has surfaced for that claim so far - But there is hardly any smoke without fire.

He has no business heading Central bank and should be removed quickly before he destroys the economy...

So before you guys start crucifying Buhari --- get your facts right.

1 Like

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by grandstar(m): 2:05pm On Jun 26, 2015
The CBN's currency reestrictions are proving ruinous.

The acceptable disparity between the official and parrallel market must not be more than 3% as it encourages round tripping.

Presaently the disparity is over 10% i.e. N199 at the official and 226 at the black market!

He has to accept a devaluation or else things will only get worse.

The country at this point needs a new CBN governor, one that will wake up to the present realities.

I know many support his policies saying why should the CBN provide funds for frivolous imports such as private jets and things we can make locally.

Sadly for you, imports are extremely important to an economy. That is why governments all over the world sign free trade agreements.

The importation of wheat and rice provides income for millions of Nigerians directly and indirectly and provides huge tax revenues to the government.

As a former customs officer who is now in the house said, high tariffs simply encourage smuggling, bringing high risks to customs officials and denies government lots of tax revenue.

Devaluations are not bad.

If the demand for forex is greater than supply, your currency will weaken making imports costlier and cutting demand for forex.

A weak currency will make your exports more competitive leading to an increase in exports which will lead also to an increase in forex receipts and ultimately a rebound in the exchange rate
Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 26, 2015
grandstar:
The CBN's currency reestrictions are proving ruinous.

The acceptable disparity between the official and parrallel market must not be more than 3% as it encourages round tripping.

Presaently the disparity is over 10% i.e. N199 at the official and 226 at the black market!

He has to accept a devaluation or else things will only get worse.

The country at this point needs a new CBN governor, one that will wake up to the present realities.

I know many support his policies saying why should the CBN provide funds for frivolous imports such as private jets and things we can make locally.

Sadly for you, imports are extremely important to an economy. That is why governments all over the world sign free trade agreements.

The importation of wheat and rice provides income for millions of Nigerians directly and indirectly and provides huge tax revenues to the government.

As a former customs officer who is now in the house said, high tariffs simply encourage smuggling, bringing high risks to customs officials and denies government lots of tax revenue.

If the demand for forex is greater than supply, your currency will weaken making imports costlier and cutting demand for forex.

A weak currency will make your exports more competitive leading to an increase in exports which will lead also to an increase in forex receipts and ultimately a rebound in the exchange rate

I absolutely agree --- The Naira is overvalued and should be allowed to take its rightful place in the 300's or 400's per dollar. If Oil is the government's only revenue stream.. Since Oil has been devalued by the saudis trying to kill fracking in USA-- Shouldn't our currency also be devalued to find its rightful place? are we fooling ourselves with all these measures that lead nowhere?

The CBN has been writing threatening letters to exporters to remit foreign currency and outrightly banning importers from the FX in a country that imports 70% of items in the marketplace - is that really smart?

Threatening exporters with fines and blacklisting is encouraging us to look offshore for our banking needs... That way, Nigerian goods/Raw materials will continue to leave our shores and CBN will not see one dollar remittance coming in.

If you want local businesses to grow - give us power and an enabling environment first then you can gradually bring your restrictions when industry is mature...

1 Like

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by ideologies(m): 3:57pm On Jun 26, 2015
litaninja:
While mostly true, in my humble opinion, I think there's a bit of putting the cart before the horse here. We are importing majorly because the infrastructure needed to produce over here are not in place. I believe some of these need to be addressed BEFORE the constriction and restrictions are put in place...

how long do you think it will take to fix power sector??

lets say 5years, by then you will be buying $1 for #1000. i hope you know it's implications on other commodities and the economy
Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by grandstar(m): 3:59pm On Jun 26, 2015
naijaFrank:

I absolutely agree --- The Naira is overvalued and should be allowed to take its rightful place in the 300's or 400's per dollar. If Oil is the government's only revenue stream.. Since Oil has been devalued by the saudis trying to kill fracking in USA-- Shouldn't our currency also be devalued to find its rightful place? are we fooling ourselves with all these measures that lead nowhere?

The CBN has been writing threatening letters to exporters to remit foreign currency and outrightly banning importers from the FX in a country that imports 70% of items in the marketplace - is that really smart?

Threatening exporters with fines and blacklisting is encouraging us to look offshore for our banking needs... That way, Nigerian goods/Raw materials will continue to leave our shores and CBN will not see one dollar remittance coming in.

If you want local businesses to grow - give us power and an enabling environment first then you can gradually bring your restrictions when industry is mature...

The naira won't collapse to such levels - at least yet

If the black market rate is 226, then a devaluation to 215 or 220 will be fine.

You have to remember that demand for forex is a derived demand i.e. like stainless steel which is used to make products.

At even 226,many who import goods at such prices won't make a profit so will stop importing and thereby reduce demand for dollars
Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by grandstar(m): 4:05pm On Jun 26, 2015
egbojohn:
hope this move helps the economy
http://www.chinnko.com/index.php?u=/topic/494/chinese-watchdog-makes-sweeping-auto-recalls

Sadly it won't!

There are far more losers from the import ban than winners.

Far more people are dependent on car importation for a living than on the car assembly plants.

Probably for every 1 person that benefits, about 5 to 10 will be losers.

The imported car industry probably engages over a million individuals. You probably can real off 10 persons who are involved in that industry either as importers or dealers. And we have not included the clearing agents etc. How many can you name in these assembly plants?

The tokunbo car industry took off in the late 1980's when it was liberalised. Within 5years , it was booming, really booming!

1 Like

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by mickey45: 7:09pm On Jun 26, 2015
Flets:

A man lives up to his name.
I hope the "General" in PMB isn't taking over?
Who wakes up n just "bans" imports? Where except in totalitarian states does that happen without due consultations with the stakeholders?

I'm sure Emefiele wld've squirmed when he got the directive but his job's at stake here so d man no get choice.

I assume this was his "I'll make one Dollar equal to 1naira" n maybe he's trying to wean us off imports. Let's see how things go though.
Except, some things're necessities to some industries and import substitution is not done militarily.

When GEJ wantd to drive for local driilling mud consumption, he didn't jst go ban its importation since that wld only create an artificial hike in it's price, causing a lull in Exploration.

Rather, policies like d Local content were enforced and Sme's were encouraged into such areas with Sure p funds n all and now u have that area being helped now.

This "fire-brigade" approach to things is nothing but impunity n even though we need some of these measures, some select industries shdn't b made scapegoats of.

A president is a father, and no father kills one child just so that another one wld live.
I'm ok with it though, so long as d ban wld b total n not that some select people wld now b given sole control over their importation.

1 Like

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by sunny3kng(m): 8:18pm On Jun 26, 2015
Thank you for the info

ideologies:
It's very unfortunate people don't understand policies and nobody is educating the masses.

The restrictions on FX is because of falling value of Naira.

1. The policy discourages importation/capital flight , hence enteprenuers are supposed to seek alternatives like producing these items and exporting them.
This way the value of naira will increase

2. Also those exporting raw materials should add value to it which will in turn add value to naira
Eg raw materials like cashew, cassAva, timber solid minerals etc that we export should be added value and turned into a finished product. instead of importing these finished products.

3. The banks are at fault, they refuse to give loans to SME's because they want high interest. This will encourage manufacturing industries hence the value of naira would rise. They rather give the loans to big ogas most of them are into importation busineses(capital flight) hence the value of naira will keep falling.

4. Nigeria have depended for so long on Fx from crude oil, and not reinvesting in other sectors. Time to diversify. #Solid minerals and Agriculture is the future

As long as we keep importing, the value of naira will continue to drop.
Thank God they are planning to place bans on more items

1 Like

Re: Banks: "CBN Is Choking Economy With FX Restrictions" by DanjaNinja(m): 11:45pm On Jun 26, 2015
This by far is one of the most intelligent threads i've ever encountered. So many insightful comments!!!!. This is impressive. Kudos to everyone who has commented so far. We need more of this and not the constant ethno-religious bashing that takes place on nairaland.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? / US To Release 50M Barrel Oil Reserves In Attempt To Lower Prices / 3 Advantages Of Starting Small As An Entrepreneur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.