Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,353 members, 7,957,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:51 AM

Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos (4929 Views)

Amazing Make-up Effects That Makes Injuries Look Real (Photos) / Rate These Before And After Effects Of Photoshop Works - Genius Media / for those who wish to learn 3D Animation, modelling and visual effects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by spade: 9:47pm On Sep 20, 2006
What Do You Think About The State Of Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos?

Hello people, I'm Spade

They say as time progresses, movies progress and their visual effects advance. It has been like that in foreign films like King Kong, Jurassic Park, Spider man 2 and of course, Star Wars but those are for foreign movies. What do you think about the current state of visual effects in the nigerian home videos.

Good Or Bad?
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by Raymand(m): 10:30pm On Sep 20, 2006
I've tried to remake some of those techniques done in Naija movies like chroma keying, but it's complicated and hard. . . but anyone can rig up a bullet time type effect (from matrix) at home tongue, foreign flicks use easy techniques and get great results, we use difficult once and it's not so good. . .
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by candylips(m): 11:22pm On Sep 20, 2006
uhmm really. i thought it was the other way round
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by spade: 7:07am On Sep 21, 2006
I honestly think visual effects and computer generated imagery is going nowhere in the nigerian home videos. you can hardly see a 3d animated character blend properly with iths co-actors and nobody seems to care. you cant even compare the visual effects in nigerian movies in 2006 to those in jurassic park in 1993 and this is horrible. Nigerian computer generated imagery is going nowhere and this is becoming a very big issue.

They look fo fake!!
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by spade: 7:11am On Sep 21, 2006
I seriously think nigerian movie makers should go back to the drawing board and re-polish the visual effects in their movies because its the visual effects that even makes the film more exciting.

Am I right or Wrong?
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by candylips(m): 9:59am On Sep 21, 2006
true talk that
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by Gamine(f): 4:10pm On Sep 22, 2006
yeah i feel u guys on that one
the effects are so terrible smtimes
its really hard to watch these movies sad
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by spade: 4:29pm On Sep 22, 2006
I feel so embarassed when I am watching nigerian action movies. they lack co-ordination. Nigerians now resort to romance movies which require less CGI(computer generated imagery) shots,

I have to confess, no nigerian movie has ever levelled up to the 1973 Star Wars and in areas of visual effects and I must say, this is sad.
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by grafikdon: 9:09pm On Sep 22, 2006
They don't necessarily have to use CGI in their movies to make it appealing. A lot of Hollywwod movies do not drive their stories with visual effects and these movies are masterpieces. With that said, I'd like them to improve on that area but there is no cause for alarm since a lot of people are working towards that underground and I predict before the end of 2007 there will be a couple of well done Naija films with a near perfect blend of CGI and live footage.

I heard from a reliable scource some Naija/UK based producers are working on a heavy effects epic film. From the look of their software line up (Masive Prime, Natural Motion Endorphin, Vicon Mocap System, Softimage XSI Advanced, Houdini Master) I don't think these guys are joking. If they can invest over $100,000 on software/hardware alone, we shouldn't wave them aside.

I will keep my fingers crossed till I get more info on the cast and crew since my info is rather sketchy at the moment.
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by candylips(m): 9:12pm On Sep 22, 2006
uhm cool are they doing an action flick
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by grafikdon: 9:46pm On Sep 22, 2006
@Candylips

Something like that. It's a bit sketchy though. One of the producers is my friend so I believe I can get a concrete info by the end of the year.
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by candylips(m): 9:49pm On Sep 22, 2006
thats cool man. keep us posted
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by tEsLim(m): 8:49pm On Dec 28, 2006
They should stop using the effects first. God knows I don't watch those movies. They should try perfect tradition film-tricks. Get better footages on behind the scene from foreign movie makers. Learn those traditional tricks before going CG.

Btw, some idiots invest a lot of $$$$$ and got no good people to use the machines. Same in music videos. Good cameras poor handlers.
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by deb(m): 5:23pm On Mar 08, 2007
visual effects on Nigerian home videos?

You call those things they do visual effect? in 2007? HABA!

If you talk about Nigerian music videos I will say yes, but Nigerian Home videos?
forget it!
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by LuvMachin(m): 7:15am On Mar 09, 2007
It's not that there's not been growth in the Nigerian Film industry, but it's the fact that the growth has been a very slow one.
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by Rodent: 1:51pm On Apr 13, 2007
first things first, no disrespect to those of you who may be in the industry in NG, but tis a simple case of a lack of creative talent topped with a sprinkling of ignorance.
Where the ignorance comes in? Home movies are too long and poorly edited, why? cos the producer/director wants a drawn sequence spread over 6 discs which enables him to suck money out of suckers. Before we even think of special/visual fx lets get a good quality edit, not all these 'real time' scenes. At of good direction is based around implied fact, a character gets in a car and starts it implies he/she is going somewhere, we do need the whole of that journey captured in the movie more so when it is not relevant to the plot, cut, next scene character arriving and alighting from the vehicle.

With regard to special fx, are the individuals in the field blind? weve had references to star wars from 73, Jurrassic Park 93, if you cant come up with something new, then make a good reproduction. If that is not possible then the individuals behind the fx are not capable. I know nigerian aborad who are as good as the Matrix et al, but they are not willing to work in NG, why? no light, security etc, that is for another forum. The creative talent is not currently doing their business in this field, till then, cringe and keep watchin wink
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by Elpee(f): 4:12pm On Apr 13, 2007
At least u culd say that Ibo directors have beta equipments than Yoruba ones, Most Nigerian films use halls 4 deir films, dey just set up bed in one corner table in d oda and d set is done!!! wat do u think bout dat, Almost 99% of things used to produce a nigerian film is crap, setting, props, clothes, makeup, talk bout it[. sad
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by babasin(m): 11:55pm On Apr 13, 2007
If they can invest over $100,000 on software/hardware alone, we shouldn't wave them aside.

Above all, you guys you buy it and not borrow for free from friends!
grin cheesy grin
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by grafikdon: 12:06am On Apr 14, 2007
babasin:

Above all, you guys you buy it and not borrow for free from friends!
grin cheesy grin

lol. Nah, I don't think anyone in their right ming would let their friends ''borrow'' their mocap system unless they are all working together on a project but they gotta stay there and do whatever they gotta do, the system stays in the studio.
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by TaxMan(m): 8:03pm On Apr 14, 2007
@ Rodent

You have said it all, thumbs up!
I'm a Scifi buff and personally do not bother to watch Niaija movies any more.
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by 9ja4eva: 11:46pm On Apr 14, 2007
They are trying but there is room for improvement.
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by TaxMan(m): 1:08pm On Apr 15, 2007
9ja4eva:

They are trying but there is room for improvement.

My brother trying is an understatement! I think this local FX people just think we are down right ignorant or what?
The level of expore that kids have this days should compel them to go back to the drawing board or school and learn some new tricks. shocked
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by moondust(m): 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2007
Visual effects do not yet exist in Nigerian movies, what we have could best be described as visual put-offs. dont mean 2 sound 2 critical but if after fifteen years of makiing movies in Nigeria we still have the same sub-standard visual effects, it really sucks
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by 9ja4eva: 7:29am On Apr 18, 2007
TaxMan:

My brother trying is an understatement! I think this local FX people just think we are down right ignorant or what?
The level of expore that kids have this days should compel them to go back to the drawing board or school and learn some new tricks. shocked

Dts true.Dts y i said they is need for improvement.
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by sykboi(m): 12:31am On Apr 20, 2007
Poor and we can do better than microsoft powerepoint for things like this its we come over and take some lessons from our superiors
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by 9ja4eva: 5:35am On Apr 20, 2007
Hmm who told u its Microsoft Powerpoint
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by Tornadoz(m): 5:21pm On May 01, 2007
Power point as visual graphics? That's so amateurish, what they need is motion graphics application like Avid, Final cut pro or the baba of them all Adobe After Effects.
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by 9ja4eva: 2:16am On May 03, 2007
Yes oh

I dnt tink dey use Ppt
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by Rodent: 9:48am On May 03, 2007
@ 9ja4eva
With all those weird spinning text intros, its got 2 b powerpoint or some other mundane piece of software
Less is more, enough of all those weird transtions, they are painful to the eye. good titling and movie editing is about simplicity. The moment they become overly noticeable then a bad job has been done.
With regard 2 special effects, it is the lack of realism that is the bane of the nollywood industry, how hard is it 2 create realistic lightening and fireballs? since we like movies filled with 'jaz' & other occultic elements.
The post production editors need to up their game or it is just a case of the production teams not wanting to pay 4 good quality services?
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by 9ja4eva: 6:40am On May 04, 2007
Well well dere is room for improvement
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by candylips(m): 11:10am On May 15, 2009
bump
Re: Visual Effects In Nigerian Home Videos by CEDARBIZ(m): 2:57pm On May 29, 2009
Hi All, Visual Effects is just not the Problem. The key thing is that we almost have no idea what we are doing. Movies here are shot at least in less than a month and it is all a one camera shot which makes it look like a traditional marriage. if you are not able to buy good lighting which i know costs some cheddar, but then media is not cheap and if done well, makes you good returns on your investment, (mind you we need more lights than the foreign films because of our skin color), I deal with Producers that are everything, both editor, camera man, director, producer, screen wirter, etc etc etc, Now you can blame this Naija not having a bank that can finance equipments. Bottom line is that this is all about cost. The fact that there is no good distribution will make people with money not invest. Forget this current Nollywood, it will change with time.Traders will be out of it before they know it. Now to break down the cost, what is the normal budget for shooting a movie in naija, i dont think it is upto 20mil. Now to buy a good virtual set, (not Chroma Keying) go to VizRT.com and see what a real virtual set is. It will cost you more than that 20mil naira to buy somethng like that, now isnt that the whole budget for the movie??
I know Naija has talented guy but they still need a re-orientation. How many of these editors actually know what editing is all about? most only know the software they are using but cant do a comparison analysis on why they want this over that? till we get the basics, we cant do anything better than kingkong for a while, am seriously hoping am wrong

(1) (Reply)

The Finest Art Work Of Sand - Romance / CHECK THIS: Mastering Vector Art (Free Avatar Toonz) / What 2D Animation Software Was Used In This Video - MOPOL By Ghenghen Jokes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.