Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,952 members, 7,828,347 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ (3485 Views)

Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria / 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get / Extremely Beautiful Photos Of Nigeria You Will Find Hard To Believe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, it's quite difficult for me. I hear like only 70% whenever a Briton speaks & I have to ask them to repeat what they said. funniest part is that they hear me perfectly.
I find the American accent relatively easier & I'm already used to it.

I would be studying in England in few months time & I can't afford to pass off as being slow. I've been downloading a lot of British films & I have been chatting with some Britons on Skype that i met via Facebook. All to ensure my auditory & otic gets accustomed to the accent.

is there anything to boost this process? or probably a better method? some sorta enzyme to catalyse the process? ..

Nigerians residing in England should help out ... ? ✘

1 Like 1 Share

Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by acenazt: 5:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
All u have to do is listen deeply. And learn intonations and pronunciations
Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 26, 2015
acenazt:
All u have to do is listen deeply. And learn intonations and pronunciations

I'm used to the American accent already. the way Americans pronounce words is already stuck in my membrane. that's why it is a little bit difficult ✘
Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by acenazt: 5:44pm On Jun 26, 2015
Darkrebel666:

I'm used to the American accent already. the way Americans pronounce words is already stuck in my membrane. that's why it is a little bit difficult ✘
well then start listening to british songs and watching British movies. But people from liverpool speak a version so damn hard to comprehend.

2 Likes

Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by danbrowndmf(m): 6:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
Darkrebel666:
Yeah, it's quite difficult for me. I hear like only 70% whenever a Briton speaks & I have to ask them to repeat what they said. funniest part is that they hear me perfectly.

I would be studying in England in few months time & I can't afford to pass off as being slow. I've been downloading a lot of British films & I have been chatting with some Britons on Skype that i met via Facebook. All to ensure my auditory & otic gets accustomed to the accent.

is there anything to boost this process? or probably a better method? some sorta enzyme to catalyse the process? ..

ur a movie guru na, watch there movies(british accent people),u can use ur head phone wen watching it so u can ear and learn clearly how they pronounce there words...

U jus graduated from fine art and again chasing law degree.cheesy u stingy sha

and stop making me jealous of dis ur england schooling "grin"
Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 26, 2015
danbrowndmf:
ur a movie guru na, watch there movies(british accent people),u can use ur head phone wen watching it so u can ear and learn clearly how they pronounce there words...

U jus graduated from fine art and again chasing law degree.cheesy u stingy sha

and stop making me jealous of dis ur england schooling "grin"

I'm stingy?
Leonardo Da Vinci was a cartographer, painter, engineer, scientist, musician....ummmm lemme stop there.... cheesy

Law & Journalism had always been my love. I just needed a cert. in Art cos that's something I derive utmost pleasure & satisfaction doing. ✘

3 Likes

Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by DisGuy: 9:30pm On Jun 26, 2015
The british accent should be the easiest to understand to be honest- the regional british accents though..you're on your own especially if you will be studying in midlands and up norfff..but it should sink in after some weeks

Dont watch normal british movies alone...if you can download the soaps/sitcoms..Only Fool and Horses, Keeping up Appearances, Fawlty Towers

BBC news too much better than CNN anyway

Good luck!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by danbrowndmf(m): 10:57pm On Jun 26, 2015
Darkrebel666:

I'm stingy?
Leonardo Da Vinci was a cartographer, painter, engineer, scientist, musician....ummmm lemme stop there.... cheesy

Law & Journalism had always been my love. I just needed a cert. in Art cos that's something I derive utmost pleasure & satisfaction doing. ✘

Nice one though...success is all i wish u!
Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by Hila12(m): 11:10pm On Jun 26, 2015
The Northern accents (Liverpool, Yorkshire, Geordie *Newcastle*) are usually the difficult ones to grasp, but down south they speak with much clarity. Southern accents such as the London accent, Posh accent (Royal family), and Cockney are easy to decode.

Your best bet is making friends (or acquaintances) from various divides across the country. Since you will be studying, you get to encounter brits with different accents - this would be a great avenue to get used to them and understand them better.

I teach British Accents to Nigerians, I could help you with voice notes if you want some tutoring.

Good luck.
Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by otokx(m): 8:20am On Jun 27, 2015
What will you say when you hear the Welsh Accent? They got me starring most of the time like - wow this is supposed to be English?

1 Like

Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by worry357: 8:48am On Jun 27, 2015
otokx:
What will you say when you hear the Welsh Accent? They got me starring most of the time like - wow this is supposed to be English?

Even worse a Scottish accent! shocked shocked
Even worse again a drunk Scotsman. shocked shocked shocked
Worst ever a drunken Scotsman from Glasgow shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUUXz7ZScA

3 Likes

Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by Originalsly: 11:21am On Jun 27, 2015
Nice clip Worry357.....eye opener for those who believe they wat hed enough movies and can move to the UK and understand the accents. @OP.....same country...same language...different regions different accents. No different from Nigeria. On US accent..no different... soo many Americans in the north do not understand their southern countrymen when they speak....the southern drawl is like a foreign language to them...same language different accent. When uou get to the UK you would be asking your mates to repeat almost everything but would eventually adapt.
Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by Elparaiso(m): 12:24pm On Jun 27, 2015
worry357:

Worst ever a drunken Scotsman from Glasgow shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.

Jisos!
Was that English Language?
Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by NighttWalker(m): 12:37am On Jun 28, 2015
Elparaiso:

Jisos!
Was that English Language?
Yep, think that's Scotland/Scottish

Darkrebel666:

I feel your pain, I have 4 British roomies and most of the time we talk I ask them to repeat, the British accent is quite difficult to understand especially to Nigerians who grew up used to the American accents via hollywood, Scottish accent is even worse and Aussie too (deep Aussie accent)

I think what you should do is learn the way the British folks pronounce words, my roomies can say a word like 4 times and it sound like 4 different things, once u know how they pronounce words the British way you'll find it better to understand them, watching their movies wont help...much
Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by Lexusgs430: 4:02am On Jun 28, 2015
Worry357 - You should be awarded a bottle of Action Bitters for such a clip

1 Like

Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by Afam4eva(m): 4:25pm On Jun 28, 2015
I thought the British accent was supposed to be easier to grasp compared to the American accent because the standard British accent is slower and words are usually called out slowly and in full unlike the American accent. The only British accent that proves a little difficult is the one usually spoken by those black ghetto kids in London. I think it kinda sounds Jamaican.

1 Like

Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by LadyTerrorist(f): 4:03am On Jun 27, 2020
worry357:

please is this English those guys are speaking?
I doubt. mehn I can't hear shit.
Tufiakwa i better stick with my akwa ibom accent abeg
cc otokx afam4eva originalsly elparaiso lexusgs430
Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by Lexusgs430: 4:24am On Jun 27, 2020
LadyTerrorist:
please is this English those guys are speaking?
I doubt. mehn I can't hear shit.
Tufiakwa i better stick with my akwa ibom accent abeg
cc otokx afam4eva originalsly elparaiso lexusgs430

Very easy to understand....... Just listen slowly........ wink
Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by Kampack: 7:29am On Jun 27, 2020
If you can understand American accent, then British ain't a problem. You'll cope, in about 3 months
Re: why Is the British accent so hard to grasp? ✘ by justwise(m): 7:49am On Jun 27, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Very easy to understand....... Just listen slowly........ wink

Bro i'm not sure about that, how slowly can you listen to Scottish or Merseyside people to understand them? Just listen to their football fan, even Steven Gerrard or Wayne Rooney speaking slowly can help.

(1) (Reply)

Can I Get Uk Tourist Visa With 1.5million Bank Statements / Best Areas To Live In Ibadan / Traveling Tips From Nigeria To Macau Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.