Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Need Help - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Need Help (745 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Help by Jetjacky(m): 3:51pm On Jun 27, 2015
I'm a newbie to programing. I want to be educated on it and become a full time participator. which is the reason I went for computer Sc. in National open University. currently I'm a computer repair and maintenance engineer, did that in a vocational course.

my point being, where do I start, how do I start. at the end my goal is to be able to create awesome games like GTA and design/create my own website.

I have once tried on my own, downloaded the PDF tutorials on those languages. started with Java but i couldn't get the Jdk kit tool I was told to get. so I got cold feet and turned off.

now I'm serious, I need to understand, start practising this programing stuff already, for easy flow during my encounter with programing later on. Help please. honest advice's please.

all your meaningful, time spent comments won't go unheard.
Re: Need Help by FincoApps(m): 3:56pm On Jun 27, 2015
For starters, I would advise you make your mind up on what you want to do. Is it Web or Game Design ?

- For web, you can got to W3schools and start learning HTML, CSS and Javascript in that order. You can later proceed to PHP
- For Game development, you can start with learning Java, then proceed to one of the Game development tools like Processing or Unity 3D.

Jetjacky:
I'm a newbie to programing. I want to be educated on it and become a full time participator. which is the reason I went for computer Sc. in National open University. currently I'm a computer repair and maintenance engineer, did that in a vocational course.

my point being, where do I start, how do I start. at the end my goal is to be able to create awesome games like GTA and design/create my own website.

I have once tried on my own, downloaded the PDF tutorials on those languages. started with Java but i couldn't get the Jdk kit tool I was told to get. so I got cold feet and turned off.

now I'm serious, I need to understand, start practising this programing stuff already, for easy flow during my encounter with programing later on. Help please. honest advice's please.

all your meaningful, time spent comments won't go unheard.

1 Like

Re: Need Help by Jetjacky(m): 4:05pm On Jun 27, 2015
FincoApps:
For starters, I would advise you make your mind up on what you want to do. Is it Web or Game Design ?

- For web, you can got to W3schools and start learning HTML, CSS and Javascript in that order. You can later proceed to PHP
- For Game development, you can start with learning Java, then proceed to one of the Game development tools like Processing or Unity 3D.

if you learn game design, is it the same knowledge you need for creating other apps? I mean game designing is it in the hierarchy of Apps developer?

1 Like

Re: Need Help by Ben1975(m): 5:29pm On Jun 27, 2015
FincoApps gave you some good advice

In reality all programming languages can do what ever you want if you have the skills, its just that some are better for some projects than they are for others

PHP 5 is great for web designers while Java is better for gaming (don't confuse Java with JavaScript, JavaScript is a light weight scripting language thats very popular in website designing)

PHP 5 is much easier to learn than Java because its considered a scripting language (scripts are small programmes). Were as Java is a fully fledged top level programming language.

Programming is about manipulating behaviour and is very abstract, you can be coding for ages and see noting visually to show for your work.

That's why it takes a particular mindset to be a good programmer.

Jetjacky:
if you learn game design, is it the same knowledge you need for creating other apps? I mean game designing is it in the hierarchy of Apps developer?

1 Like

Re: Need Help by Jetjacky(m): 6:56pm On Jun 27, 2015
Ben1975:
FincoApps gave you some good advice

In reality all programming languages can do what ever you want if you have the skills, its just that some are better for some projects than they are for others

PHP 5 is great for web designers while Java is better for gaming (don't confuse Java with JavaScript, JavaScript is a light weight scripting language thats very popular in website designing)

PHP 5 is much easier to learn than Java because its considered a scripting language (scripts are small programmes). Were as Java is a fully fledged top level programming language.

Programming is about manipulating beaviour and is very abstract you can be coding for ages and see noting visually to sow for your work.

That's why it takes a particular mindset to be a good programmer
thanks bro, to a certain extent you hit the nail on my q, but not totally.

he mentioned game designing and as I am on the novice level, I don't know the capabilities of game designers, that's why I asked. if you're a game designer can you also create other utility apps or other apps in general.

don't forget he said I need to make my mind, so I want to have a clear idea where I'm heading before taking the step. Thanks for your devoted effort
Re: Need Help by FincoApps(m): 7:45pm On Jun 27, 2015
The fact is that: learning one programming language WELL, makes it easy for you to learn other things. For example, conditional statements, loops, methods/functions e.t.c has similar implementations in almost all programming languages.

I'll advise you to learn Java, with that you can create your utility apps or games if you wish. More importantly, a sound knowledge of it would make learning other languages easy.

For example, I wanted to create BlackBerry apps so I started learning Java. Later I needed to learn how to create 2D games, and I realised I didn't even need to learn too much.

Jetjacky:

he mentioned game designing and as I am on the novice level, I don't know the capabilities of game designers, that's why I asked. if you're a game designer can you also create other utility apps or other apps in general.

don't forget he said I need to make my mind, so I want to have a clear idea where I'm heading before taking the step. Thanks for your devoted effort
Re: Need Help by Jetjacky(m): 8:03pm On Jun 27, 2015
FincoApps:
The fact is that: learning one programming language WELL, makes it easy for you to learn other things. For example, conditional statements, loops, methods/functions e.t.c has similar implementations in almost all programming languages.

I'll advise you to learn Java, with that you can create your utility apps or games if you wish. More importantly, a sound knowledge of it would make learning other languages easy.

For example, I wanted to create BlackBerry apps so I started learning Java. Later I needed to learn how to create 2D games, and I realised I didn't even need to learn too much.

thanks bro. then is apps developer for me. but how do I get the tools i need for Java programing language. I cant find Jdk kit is there an alternative for it?? and are there other materials to install?
Re: Need Help by FincoApps(m): 8:32pm On Jun 27, 2015
You welcome bro. Java Development Kit is available at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html. Download any PDF tutorial and they should tell you what you would need in order to follow that particular tutorial.
Jetjacky:
thanks bro. then is apps developer for me. but how do I get the tools i need for Java programing language. I cant find Jdk kit is there an alternative for it?? and are there other materials to install?
Re: Need Help by Jetjacky(m): 9:08pm On Jun 27, 2015
FincoApps:
You welcome bro. Java Development Kit is available at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html. Download any PDF tutorial and they should tell you what you would need in order to follow that particular tutorial.
thanks a mil

1 Like

Re: Need Help by Ben1975(m): 7:04pm On Jun 28, 2015
Most of the game coders I have come across are lovers of Java. I don't code any more as you can tell by my signature I am an online marketer, it pays me. smiley

Coding can make you alot of money but you need to spend time getting good at it

My coding was based on website design so as you can tell PHP and JavaScript was where I was at

Jetjacky:

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do You Need A Professional Website Development At A Very Affordable Price.? / Adobe Cs6 Collection For Sale / Ecommerce Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.