Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother (7783 Views)

Does Erection Destroy Your Fasting? / What Does Islam Teach Us Regarding Haters? / Islamic Guidance Regarding Haircut (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother by good4all: 11:11am On Jun 30, 2015
A common question and concern for Muslim women has been the rules regarding fasting and making up fasts or paying fidya during pregnancy and breastfeeding. There are numerous classical answers amongst the major scholars and companions. It should be made clear that there is one primary cause for these differences that will help us understand the issue.
Should the pregnant and breastfeeding mother be compared with the temporarily sick, who has to make up his fasts after Ramadan, or should they be compared with the elderly or chronically sick who are incapable of fasting and pay fidyah (feeding a poor person) in place of their fasting, or should they be compared to both?

Some Major Opinions on the Issue:
1. They should both make up their missed fasts and pay fidyah
2. They should only make up their missed fasts
3. They should only pay the fidya
4. Differentiate between the two: The pregnant woman has to make up her fasts, and the breastfeeding mom should make up her fasts and pay fidyah.My Preferred Opinion:

Generally, the fidya is considered to be the equivalent of fasting (badl) and it is not normal in Fiqh for one to have to perform the wajib and its equivalent (badl). Thus, it should be either fasting or fidyah, and not both.

The reason that women are allowed a concession to not fast in Ramadan is out of concern for their heatlh and well being. If a woman wants to fast during her pregnancy and breastfeeding, she should consult her doctor to see if fasting during pregnancy or breastfeeding would be ok for her and her child. If the doctor approves, the woman may fast Ramadan or even parts of it (as long as she has the energy and health). However, even if the doctor gives his ok, but the woman is still concerned and scared, she may skip fasting Ramadan.

n regards to atoning for the missed fasts, there are a few considerations.
If a breastfeeding mother is concerned for her or her child’s health (like her milk running dry, her feeling weak, the baby not getting enough nutrition), then she may elect to pay the fidya for each day she missed and that would be sufficient. She would NOT have to make up any fasts. This applies to days she missed during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
However, if after delivering, she does not breastfeed her child and her health is ok, then she should make up her fasts that she missed during pregnancy.

Thus, the breastfeeding women is compared to someone with continuous hardship in fasting (since she may not have fasted for one year during pregnancy, and 1-2 years of breastfeeding, and if she gets pregnant again this process would continue longer), while the mother who does not breastfeed is more like someone who was temporarily sick (her pregnancy) and capable of making up her fasts later.

Fidya is an amount of money or food that is paid to the poor by the one who is not able to fast. It applies to those who have enduring medical conditions that make them unable to fast currently AND in the future. Such a person would pay fidya equivalent to feeding a poor person two meals for each day of fasting they have missed.

http://www.safacenter.org/home/qa-how-much-is-fidya-and-what-to-do-if-pregnant-of-nursing/
Re: Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother by donlino9: 11:12am On Jun 30, 2015
grin
Re: Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother by good4all: 3:10pm On Jun 30, 2015
why the laugh
Re: Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother by freesinzu(m): 12:27pm On Jul 03, 2015
Ok
Re: Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother by efilefun(m): 12:35pm On Jul 03, 2015
Praise be to Allaah.
With regard to breastfeeding mothers – and also pregnant women – two scenarios may apply:

-1- If the woman is not affected by fasting, and fasting is not too difficult for her, and she does not fear for her child, then she is obliged to fast, and it is not permissible for her not to fast.

-2- If the woman fears for herself or her child because of fasting, and fasting is difficult for her, then she is allowed not to fast, but she has to make up the days that she does not fast.

In this situation it is better for her not to fast, and it is makrooh for her to fast. Some of the scholars stated that if she fears for her child, it is obligatory for her not to fast and it is haraam for her to fast.

Al-Mirdaawi said in al-Insaaf (7/382): It is makrooh for her to fast in this case… Ibn ‘Aqeel said: If a pregnant woman or a breastfeeding mother fears for her pregnancy or her child, then it is not permissible for her to fast in this case, but if she does not fear for her child then it is not permissible for her not to fast.
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked in Fataawa al-Siyaam (p. 161):

If a pregnant woman or breastfeeding mother does not fast with no excuse, and she is strong and in good health, and is not affected by fasting, what is the ruling on that?
He replied:
It is not permissible for a pregnant woman or breastfeeding woman not to fast during the day in Ramadaan unless they have an excuse. If they do not fast because they have an excuse, then they have to make up the missed fasts, because Allaah says concerning one who is sick (interpretation of the meaning): “and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers come under the same heading as those who are sick.

5 Likes

Re: Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother by good4all: 12:38pm On Jul 03, 2015
These rules of the Creator must be obeyed or followed not 1999 Nigerian constitution that some top politicians choose not to obey or follow.

1 Like

Re: Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother by ipreach: 12:46pm On Jul 03, 2015
ok

Re: Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother by noordean(m): 1:25pm On Jul 03, 2015
Please evidence? Which of the scholars is in support of the 4th opinion?
Re: Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother by teelady(f): 2:08pm On Jul 03, 2015
good4all:

Fidya is an amount of money or food that is paid to the poor by the one who is not able to fast. It applies to those who have enduring medical conditions that make them unable to fast currently AND in the future. Such a person would pay fidya equivalent to feeding a poor person two meals for each day of fasting they have missed.

http://www.safacenter.org/home/qa-how-much-is-fidya-and-what-to-do-if-pregnant-of-nursing/
I dnt get it, i taught pregnant and breastfeeding mom are excused from fasting.
Re: Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother by MKO4ever(m): 3:45pm On Jul 03, 2015
Last week Saturday as I was preparing for iftaar, I was cooking rice and bean at around past 5:30pm, the food was almost done, but I think I had forgotten I was fasting and then tasted the food to confirm if the ingredients are okay.
Now the funny aspect was that, after tasting the food, I then realised I was very hungry, so I took a plate and put some portion in it and right there in the kitchen I started eating this food. I almost finished the plate before I suddenly realised I was fasting, and so I stopped.
But sadly enough as at the time I realised about the fasting, I had not yet drank water and the food was hot with pepper, so I became even more uncomfortable than before. I managed myself and after a while my body became normal.
It was a very funny situation and it would have been very perfect, if I had taken water before realising I was fasting, but in all, I regretted that it happened

(1) (Reply)

Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims / Sharafa Gbadebo Is Not A MUSLIM / The Islamic Way To Raise The Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.