Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,766 members, 7,827,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship (15852 Views)

List Of Schools That Their Post-UTME Form Is Out / ASUU Strike: Detailed List Of Schools That Have Joined / Admission 2016: List Of Schools That Have Released Admission List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by fratermathy(m): 11:37am On Jun 30, 2015
The pursuit for a postgraduate degree is not new to Nigerians. In fact one in every ten Nigerian graduate will eventually pursue a PG degree after NYSC. This is partly due to the lack of jobs which makes graduates to pursue higher degrees as a means of boosting their results. Others may pursue PG degrees because they want to go into the academic profession or become executive professionals in their schools. Most Nigerians who can afford PG schools usually face difficulties coping with campus life again and suviving, especially when they are jobless.

However, few people are aware that some Nigerian Universities have taken the path of foreign schools in the award of Teaching Assistantships/Fellowships/Graduate Intern/Trainees/Practicum. Whatever term it is given, the main idea is that PG students can work for the school as lecturers and earn money to fund their programmes. This is very good for PG students, especially PhD students. They can be exposed to practical teaching and lecturing under a supervisor and also earn cool cash. However, for now, only a few schools offer this. With time, it is hoped that other schools may be magnanimous enough to start this programme.

I have taken the initiative to list the schools that offer teaching assistantships so that those who are interested may select these schools for their PG studies. It is important to note that these teaching awards are VERY COMPETITIVE and requires a track of academic success, will and determination to be awarded. It also requires "romancing" with certain Professors in the Department and PG School as well as the request of the need for such assistance by the Department's HOD.. It is mostly awarded to PhD students because they have a longer time and are more knowledgeable. There is a high chance that awardees may be retained if they do extremely well. It also counts as a tangible job experience.

Here are the schools that award teaching assistantship that I am aware of:
1. University of Ibadan
2. University of Lagos
3. University of Nigeria, Nsukka
4. Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
5. Covenant University, Ota

These are the ones my research has been able to confirm so far. However, this list cannot be said to be all the schools that offer teaching assistantships in Nigeria. So if you are aware and sure of others, you may post it so that people can learn. If you are or have been an awardee, you may intimate us more on the technicalities of this programme.

Here are some schools currently offering PG Admissions:
https://www.nairaland.com/2272847/current-post-graduate-admissions-nigeria-2015

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by Shaadey: 11:59am On Jun 30, 2015
Noted! ibi giga
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by damiloladuke: 11:59am On Jun 30, 2015
cool

CHECK MY SIGNATURE IF YOU WANNA LAUGH TIRE TODAY
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by blemon44(m): 11:59am On Jun 30, 2015
interesting
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by omanifrank(m): 11:59am On Jun 30, 2015
ok
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by LILYUCHMAN: 12:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
correct
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by sensyman(m): 12:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
Shaadey:
k
how far shaadey
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by sensyman(m): 12:01pm On Jun 30, 2015
Alryt nau
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by manlygroup(m): 12:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
That is a nice information.Educative and informative.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by loliclops: 12:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
manlygroup:
The type we need on nairaland
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by poljut: 12:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
what of OAU
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by plowret: 12:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
Disappointed unilorin is not there
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by jamex93(m): 12:03pm On Jun 30, 2015
OK sir
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by kings09(m): 12:04pm On Jun 30, 2015
Ok
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2015
K
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by Godskidmidas(m): 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2015
Uniben does it also.I was taught by some graduate assistants in my second and third year
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by fratermathy(m): 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2015
Godskidmidas:
Uniben does it also
How well do you know of Uniben's own? Can you tell us more?
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2015
Kp
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by fratermathy(m): 12:06pm On Jun 30, 2015
plowret:
Disappointed unilorin is not there
Some schools just dont like offering it maybe because they are well staffed and need no assistance or it may be an issue of policy and quality assurance.
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by aare07(m): 12:07pm On Jun 30, 2015
I rep Federal University Lokoja

Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by teabully(m): 12:07pm On Jun 30, 2015
Even Lagos State Uni
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by idee91: 12:08pm On Jun 30, 2015
ABU noni !
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by Kufie(m): 12:08pm On Jun 30, 2015
but Saraki is Nigeria's new celebrity

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jun 30, 2015
KSU too

Until 2011, at least
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by Godskidmidas(m): 12:09pm On Jun 30, 2015
fratermathy:

How well do you know of Uniben's own? Can you tell us more?
I know some of the high flyers are selected and are offered lecturing jobs. I was even lectured by some graduate assistants in my second and third year
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by Adesiji77: 12:12pm On Jun 30, 2015
Following
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by fratermathy(m): 12:12pm On Jun 30, 2015
Godskidmidas:

I know some of the high flyers are selected and are offered lecturing jobs. I was even lectured by some graduate assistants in my second and third year
Graduate Assistantship is similar but different to Teaching Assistantship. While one is offered upon graduation, the other is offered upon Masters/PhD admission.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by fratermathy(m): 12:13pm On Jun 30, 2015
aare07:
I rep Federal University Lokoja

They dont have a PG school yet. A school with PG studies is still "half-completed".
Re: Nigerian Post Graduate Schools That Award Teaching Assistantship by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jun 30, 2015
manlygroup:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UNN SUG President Impeached For Looting 4 Million Naira. / ABU Sacks 15 Staff Over Sexual Harassment, Other Offences / Again, FG, ASUU Unable To Agree On Payment Platform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.