Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,446 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:07 AM

Is Circumcision Unethical? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Circumcision Unethical? (542 Views)

Nigerian Baby Whose Penis Was Chopped Off During Circumcision, Flown To India / Nigerian Baby Whose Joystick Was Cut Off During Circumcision Flown To India.PICS / Luth Accuses Punch Of Unethical Practise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Circumcision Unethical? by MindfulSheep: 5:41pm On Jun 30, 2015
Have been reading a lot lately about opposition to circumcision happening lately at this time, with the story about a young boy called Chase in the US whose mother was jailed for trying to stop him being circumcised.

I have to say the more I read about the horror stories of what can go wrong with circumcision the more I find myself agreeing that circumcision of men and women is completely immoral and unethical.

When I read that the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation is fast tracking male circumcision here in Africa, I have to wonder if it is the right thing for us to continue with this morally questionable surgery when everyone knows that circumcision doesn't stop AIDS, only a condom does. So why not use a condom and put the money spend on unnecessary and costly circumcisions to better use?

A second approach is male circumcision, which reduces HIV transmission by up to 70 percent. Funding for circumcision is finally being prioritized, since the cost is quite low and the protection is lifelong. Over 1 million men ages 15–49 have been circumcised in 14 Southern and Eastern African countries with large AIDS epidemics, but that is only 5 percent of the total number who could benefit from the procedure. Even in the ancient practice of circumcision, innovation has the potential to make a big difference. The new PrePex and Shang Ring devices simplify the procedure and make surgery unnecessary. The first studies suggest that these devices are both safe and effective. (I will keep this letter G-rated by leaving out the pictures of how the devices work.) Botswana, Kenya, South Africa, and Tanzania are starting to show leadership by getting the message out to all young men that it is important to get circumcised. Kenya has made the most progress, circumcising 70 percent of eligible men. I will be very disappointed if, by 2015, any fewer than 15 million young men have chosen to protect themselves and their partners by getting circumcised.

source http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Who-We-Are/Resources-and-Media/Annual-Letters-List/Annual-Letter-2012

I find it hard to stomach these kinds of statistics when evidence shows more circumcised men get AIDS than uncircumcised men

http://joseph4gi..nl/2011/05/where-circumcision-doesnt-prevent-hiv.html

I just feel like we are letting outsiders come in and again like with colonization push their beliefs onto many African countries who unlike Nigeria do not necessarily have large rates of circumcision.

http://joseph4gi..com.au/2014/05/mass-circumcision-campaigns.html

Do Nigerians think it is ok to support an industry that is based around solely making profit? Even if botched circumcisions of many Nigerians mean thousands are left without proper functioning organs and a reduced experience and happiness in life as a result? The evidence for the benefits of circumcision are also clouded, as I can not find any tangible evidence to support why we should circumcise.

So why do we continue with this practice? Should we stop male and female circumcision on the grounds it is unethical?

I think it is unethical and will be boycotting Microsoft products as a result.

I am interested to know what others here think.
Re: Is Circumcision Unethical? by INTROVERT(f): 5:43pm On Jun 30, 2015
Female circumcision angry angry angry angry
Re: Is Circumcision Unethical? by Goldmaxx(f): 5:43pm On Jun 30, 2015
Re: Is Circumcision Unethical? by ApcSucks: 5:51pm On Jun 30, 2015
INTROVERT:
Female circumcision angry angry angry angry

Don't even know abt it

(1) (Reply)

For Those Who Are In The Medical Field And Want To Come To The US / Dos And Don't When Feeding Your Infant / Post Construction Cleaning Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.