Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,599 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

45m Persons Will Go Blind 2020 -nigerian Optometric Association - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 45m Persons Will Go Blind 2020 -nigerian Optometric Association (346 Views)

Four Children From The Same Parents Are Born Blind In Edo (Photos) / Stop! You Might Go Blind / Bennet Omalu Receives Highest American Medical Association Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

45m Persons Will Go Blind 2020 -nigerian Optometric Association by Harbdulrasaq(m): 9:16pm On Jul 01, 2015
President of Nigerian Optometric Association NOA Dr Damian Echendu, has said that no fewer than forty- five million persons will go blind by 2020 globally.

Echendu stated this at a press briefing held yesterday in Abuja.

He said, “persons above 40 years should seek eye care to avoid sudden blindness and some avoidable conditions like glaucoma and refractive error.

He said, “Many eye problem don’t come with any sign or symptoms, Some even have trauma which affect their eyes, we also have some cases that many Communities do not have optometrist,’’

Echendu said in spite of the contributions of the optometric profession to Nigerians ,it is surprising that the profession was still shortchanged due to man-made obstacles, he called on the Federal Government to include optometry department in public Health Sector.

“Up till now, there is no optometry department in both State and Federal Ministries of Health and other tertiary healthcare institutions in Nigeria,’’ he said.

Echendu said the recent circular by the Ministry for the establishment of optometry unit in Federal Health Institutions was disregarded.

He said Optometry as a profession, was submerged under Ophthalmology department in Public healthcare institutions not allowing them to practice what they had learnt in the University as provided by law.

Echendu said the association would be having its 39th Annual General Meeting (AGM) and scientific conference slated for 1st to 4th of July.

The meeting will also focus on professional reevaluation and renewal of commitment to providing best care for the vision and eye care.

“Activities that will be of immense benefit to the public among other, free eye and vision screening at Ginshiri community in Abuja

“An estimated of 500 persons at Gishiri community in Abuja will benefit from the free eye clinic as they will be given drugs and reading glasses,’’ he said.

Cc: lalasticlala

http://www..net/2015/07/45m-persons-will-go-blind-2020-nigerian.html#.VZRKJrWn3Mw
Re: 45m Persons Will Go Blind 2020 -nigerian Optometric Association by jimohibrahim(m): 9:18pm On Jul 01, 2015
Them be God ni
Abi optical census was done behind my back ni?
Re: 45m Persons Will Go Blind 2020 -nigerian Optometric Association by jamex93(m): 9:27pm On Jul 01, 2015
for which country dat one want happened

free me jor
Re: 45m Persons Will Go Blind 2020 -nigerian Optometric Association by chachanga: 9:37pm On Jul 01, 2015
Ur Fada!

i thot he meant nigeria....

the caption almost made me stop my chopchop wey i dey wack;

(1) (Reply)

Constantly Sitting Down Could Worsen Mental Health And Anxiety - Study / Pharmacist Needed In Anambra / It Was Great As Watching Every Day Was Like

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.