Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,211 members, 7,825,793 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram (583 Views)

Ruth Bircham: "I Was Raped By Facebook Friend From Nigeria" / New Photos Of Khadijah Bashir Raped By The Husband Of Her Mother's Friend / Twelve-year-old Girl Raped By Aunty’s Customer, Son Within One Week (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by lolaxavier(m): 7:55am On Jul 02, 2015
The United Nations rights chief on Wednesday urged Nigeria to show compassion and make access to abortions easier for women and girls who became pregnant in Boko Haram captivity.

Amnesty International estimates that Boko Haram fighters have kidnapped more than 2,000 women and girls in northeastern Nigeria since the beginning of 2014, including the 276 girls seized from their school in Chibok last year in a kidnapping that sparked global outrage.

“During their captivity, lasting in many cases for months or even years, women and girls have been sexually enslaved, raped and forced into so-called marriages,” U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein told the U.N. Human Rights Council in a special session on Boko Haram.

“Many survivors of these horrific experiences are now pregnant by their rapists ... and several reportedly wish to terminate these unwanted pregnancies,” he said.

But in Nigeria, abortion is legal only when the life of the woman is at risk, Hussein said, warning that a lack of access would only add to the suffering of the former captives.

“I strongly urge the most compassionate possible interpretation of the current regulations in Nigeria to include the risk of suicide and risks to mental health for women and young girls who have suffered such appalling cruelty,” he said.

John Campbell, a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, told Al Jazeera there are different theories about the use of rape by Boko Haram. One is the traditional use of rape as a weapon to demoralize a community. Another is that Boko Haram believes radicalization can be transmitted biologically and that raped women will give birth to the feared group's next generation of fighters.

In May, The New York Times quoted Borno Gov. Kashim Shettima as saying that some Boko Haram fighters “even pray before mating, offering supplications for God to make the products of what they are doing become children that will inherit their ideology.”

Campbell warned, however, that even if the Nigerian law is expanded to allow abortions after kidnapping or sexual slavery, stigmatization may prevent these women and girls from getting them.

“There is law, and then there is social custom,” he said. “And social custom is much stronger than law in many parts of Nigeria. So what the letter of the law is doesn’t mean a whole lot.”

Hussein also called on authorities to help women and girls freed from Boko Haram enslavement to reintegrate into their communities and avoid cultural opprobrium.

Boko Haram's insurgency, centered in northeastern Nigeria and aimed at creating an independent state based on the group's interpretation of Islamic law, has led to the deaths of at least 15,000 people since 2009.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/7/1/un-urges-nigeria-to-ease-abortion-access.html
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by INTROVERT(f): 7:56am On Jul 02, 2015
I have issues with abortion but abortion under these horrible circumstances is giving me a rethink............

1 Like

Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by HungerBAD: 7:56am On Jul 02, 2015
INTROVERT write something sensible.

3 Likes

Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by donlino9: 7:57am On Jul 02, 2015
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by INTROVERT(f): 7:58am On Jul 02, 2015
HungerBAD:
INTROVERT write something sensible.

When people leave the topic and focus on introvert undecided
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by piicity(m): 8:00am On Jul 02, 2015
I pray i wouldn't see anything that will lead my wife to aboption . Introvert how are you today?
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by oyindare(m): 8:00am On Jul 02, 2015
Just in case
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by lolaxavier(m): 8:04am On Jul 02, 2015
I sincerely do not see why women should be forced to keep pregnancy in such circumstances. Imagine what these people already went through in the hands of these ugly mean boko haram boys and at the end, they'll still be forced to keep the product of these ugly acts.
Later, you will read in the papers that a mother killed a two-year old baby. Why won't that happen when all she sees in that child is the rape session that brought about his or her existence and all she has for the child is pure hate.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by Houseofglam7(f): 8:18am On Jul 02, 2015
The poster above me just said all I wanted to say.... embarassed

He's such a smarta$$$
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by lolaxavier(m): 8:38am On Jul 02, 2015
Houseofglam7:
The poster above me just said all I wanted to say.... embarassed

He's such a smarta$$$

Guess I beat you to that then wink
Well but that is what I feel should be the case. I'd rather get rid of that pregnancy and be jailed than keep it. Social norm or custom or whatever it is called should not be allowed to override anyone's comfort and happiness.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by Houseofglam7(f): 9:07am On Jul 02, 2015
lolaxavier:

Guess I beat you to that then wink
Well but that is what I feel should be the case. I'd rather get rid of that pregnancy and be jailed than keep it. Social norm or custom or whatever it is called should not be allowed to override anyone's comfort and happiness.

Right on point!!!
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by Lilyomi(f): 9:58am On Jul 02, 2015
And after dat, they need psychological help. Dealin wif rape is not easy much more carryin a baby. U feel for da unborn cos he is ur blood but, u can't kip cos of who did dat. Is tok much for them o
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Ease Abortion Access For Women Raped By Boko Haram by lolaxavier(m): 10:04am On Jul 02, 2015
Lilyomi:
And after dat, they need psychological help. Dealin wif rape is not easy much more carryin a baby. U feel for da unborn cos he is ur blood but, u can't kip cos of who did dat. Is tok much for them o

Agree...

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari's 'son' Arrested For Defrauding Unsuspecting Nigerians / Response To 10year Old Boy Buried Alive: The Reverend Father Is A Fraud View Why / Mid Night Inferno Claims 2 In Osun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.