Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? (1053 Views)

Doctors Please Help Throat Discomfort. / Suffering From Bone Injury, Pain Or Discomfort? / Help: Discomfort In My Head (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? by kamez(m): 5:06pm On Jul 02, 2015
I really dont know how to explain this. but its been bothering me for a long time.

whenever I travel my air, its really not a pleasant experience . as the plane reaches high altitude, I begin to get this numb feeling in my ears. it becomes so severe and painful as the journey continues, and sometimes it feels like my ears are gonna rupture. and this feeling continues till the plane lands.

as a results of this, I try to Limit travelling, by air to the barest minimum, but. because of my kind of job (quality control engr for a telecoms company) i still get to fly quite often just meet up with my busy schedule .

I might get to travel outta the country soon for a training, and its going to be a couple of hours by air and the thought of it scares me because if I'm having this kinda experience in inter-state 45 mins journeys, how bad will it now get when I make long distance trips by air?

I just want to know if there are nairalanders with such reoccurring experience, and if there are ways to stop or limit it. thanks in advance guys.

pls mods see if u can help me out here
Re: Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? by ifeanyija(m): 5:08pm On Jul 02, 2015
Hmm
Re: Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? by Cutehector(m): 5:11pm On Jul 02, 2015
Witches in ur vilage at work
Re: Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? by allycat: 5:48pm On Jul 02, 2015
You have a dysfunctional eustachian tube. This is a tube connecting the ear to somewhere at the back of your nose and whose function is to equalise pressures in the aer with those outside. See an ent consultant to make sure nothing is physically blocking the tube. Other small measures are to chew gum during accent or descent of the plane. If you have a cold decongest your nose at least 30 minutes to take off. Over the counter decongestants like Otrivin nose drops will help. But note that they are not to be used for more than 5 days as this is dangerous. Good luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? by GogetterMD(m): 5:50pm On Jul 02, 2015
Apparently, you aren't alone. I experience this same discomfort all the time whenever I fly, even though I am a doctor
Re: Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? by kamez(m): 6:02pm On Jul 02, 2015
allycat:
You have a dysfunctional eustachian tube. This is a tube connecting the ear to somewhere at the back of your nose and whose function is to equalise pressures in the aer with those outside. See an ent consultant to make sure nothing is physically blocking the tube. Other small measures are to chew gum during accent or descent of the plane. If you have a cold decongest your nose at least 30 minutes to take off. Over the counter decongestants like Otrivin nose drops will help. But note that they are not to be used for more than 5 days as this is dangerous. Good luck.

wow thanks for the info.
Re: Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? by BryDario(f): 7:58pm On Jul 02, 2015
I experience same.
Re: Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? by ojac1: 5:23pm On Jul 11, 2015
GogetterMD:
Apparently, you aren't alone. I experience this same discomfort all the time whenever I fly, even though I am a doctor

Once u swallow! Dat ishh goes away! I think it has to do with d cabin pressure! r
Re: Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? by GogetterMD(m): 5:29pm On Jul 11, 2015
ojac1:

Once u swallow! Dat ishh goes away! I think it has to do with d cabin pressure! r
Yeah, it's due to unequal pressure and trying to equalize the atmospheric pressure with the middle ear pressure. Chew a gum at takeoff and during landing for constant swallowing does the trick. It could however be more troublesome at times
Re: Please What Is This Wierd Auditory Discomfort I Get when Flying on a Plane? by nedekid: 11:46pm On May 08, 2022
Yawn and it will go. It is just pressure build up.
Modern planes like the a350, b787 in cabin pressurisation has been upgraded to blend cabin pressurisation.

(1) (Reply)

Here's What Happens To Your Body When You Consume Okra. / Reasons For You Could Be Suffering From A Headache / Nigerian Surgeon Removes Baby From Womb, Operates On Her & Returns Her Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.