Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,097 members, 7,953,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:46 PM

Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. (3242 Views)

Audi Reportedly Made Thousands Of Vehicles With The Same VIN / FRSC To Begin Immediate Confiscation Of Vehicles With Expired Tyres / FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by cyzzy: 2:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
I trained myself to drive, figured i should use 2 legs while driving. In the process, I have perfected driving it with 2 legs.

Wonder if there are others in the house guilty of this.
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by sammieblaize: 2:14pm On Jul 04, 2015
Same here strangely
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by lonelydora: 2:48pm On Jul 04, 2015
How do you guys do it? I can't comprehend the simultaneous movement of both legs. Well, to each person his own.

2 Likes

Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by nurey(m): 5:17pm On Jul 04, 2015
this has been discussed and it's unhealthy but there are 3 major issues I noticed can arise when doing this if u have not perfected it

1. sharp braking: you will constantly do sharp braking, if you are in a traffic where danfo do close marking they may eventually slam you at the back

2. wrong brake info: once you place ur leg slightly on the brake, the brake light is constantly on mis-informing those behind you that you are about to brake or slowing down, now count it to 100 misinformed drivers behind you.

3. it's possible you will always rev the car before you engage the transmission when at P or N which will place stress on the transmission every time you do that

I hope you always switch to neutral and not leave your transmission in drive with the brake depressed when at a stop. I know some cars don't like it like the 2006 accord DC which will continue to rev but my toyota sienna doesn't feel the difference. but to be on a safe side always move the stick to neutral when you at a stop for a while or simply leave it at PARK choose the most convenient.

2 Likes

Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by DGD1(m): 7:34pm On Jul 04, 2015
both legs! seriously?
I need to take a ride with one of you guys .......
BT: do you make long journeys driving like that?
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Whizpeter(m): 7:58pm On Jul 04, 2015
I taught myself how to drive too and I was using two legs..

I was fond of doing sharp braking and sometimes I press the brake hard but the car won't stop only for me to realise that i still have my right leg on the accelerator...
And sometimes I would enter the highway and keep complaining that the car is not accelerating the way I want, only to realise that my left foot is still on the brake...

I've finally perfected my skills and I now use one leg to drive automatic cars...
Only use two legs when I'm on a manual...

4 Likes

Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by cyzzy: 9:36am On Jul 05, 2015
Sure! I make long journeys driving that way. Intact, its so easy now I wondered why people feels its abnormal driving that way.
DGD1:
both legs!
seriously?

I need to take a ride with one of you guys .......

BT: do you make long journeys driving like that?
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by DGD1(m): 12:12pm On Jul 05, 2015
cyzzy:
Sure! I make long journeys driving that way. Intact, its so easy now I wondered why people feels its abnormal driving that way.

tired it going to church this morning, it was kind of awkward, maybe because am just new to it, don't think there will be a second trial at it.
Enjoy it bro,
happy driving gymnastics

1 Like

Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Whizpeter(m): 1:19pm On Jul 05, 2015
DGD1:

tired it going to church this morning, it was kind of awkward, maybe because am just new to it, don't think there will be a second trial at it.
Enjoy it bro,
happy driving gymnastics

Lol... @Bolded... Gymnastics indeed...
Op would soon start using one foot without knowing it...
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by cyzzy: 2:37pm On Jul 05, 2015
Truely, I have learnt driving with a foot but still falls back To both both legs which I feel is very comfortable. Truth is that, if u learn with one leg, it will be difficult changing it. Just stick to the one u are used to. Gymnastics is when I have switch my foot from one pedal to the other. Don't mind me, those driving with a leg is really doing hard work, great muscle exercise. grin
Whizpeter:

Lol... @Bolded... Gymnastics indeed...
Op would soon start using one foot without knowing it...
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by DGD1(m): 2:38pm On Jul 05, 2015
Whizpeter:

Lol... @Bolded... Gymnastics indeed... Op would soon start using one foot without knowing it...
lolz, I pray so o
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Whizpeter(m): 2:43pm On Jul 05, 2015
cyzzy:
Truely, I have learnt driving with a foot but still falls back To both both legs which I feel is very comfortable. Truth is that, if u learn with one leg, it will be difficult changing it. Just stick to the one u are used to. Gymnastics is when I have switch my foot from one pedal to the other. Don't mind me, those driving with a leg is really doing hard work, great muscle exercise. grin

Huh? Wait a minute... When you're driving a manual, do you use your left foot to step on the brake pedal? If NO, then I see no reason why you should be comfortable doing two feet on an auto... Unless you don't know how to drive a manual...!
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Qualer: 5:31pm On Jul 05, 2015
Whizpeter:

Huh? Wait a minute... When you're driving a manual, do you use your left foot to step on the brake pedal? If NO, then I see no reason why you should be comfortable doing two feet on an auto... Unless you don't know how to drive a manual...!

wrong!! I am a damnedd good driver and I drove manual for years before switching to an auto drive - I drive with both feet best decision ever cos I have quick reflexes and no time lost in switching from one pedal to another in times of emergency. Driving with a foot is not compulsory in auto drive, nigerians and sheep mentality and then people wonder why there are so many avoidable accidents happening on our roads - people with slow reflexes driving with one foot. do what makes you comfortable

3 Likes

Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 05, 2015
Qualer:
wrong!! I am a damnedd good driver and I drove manual for years before switching to an auto drive - I drive with both feet best decision ever cos I have quick reflexes and no time lost in switching from one pedal to another in times of emergency. Driving with a foot is not compulsory in auto drive, nigerians and sheep mentality and then people wonder why there are so many avoidable accidents happening on our roads - people with slow reflexes driving with one foot. do what makes you comfortable

No need to bust a blood vessel. I too thought the same.

On the contrary, your reflexes must be pretty slow, hence you feel the need to drive an automatic with both feet. As for "Nigerians with sheep mentality", that doesn't even come into play here. One foot driving an automatic, and just the left foot for the clutch pedal in a manual vehicle are standards worldwide. Why should it be different for Nigeria?

I'll give a hint, shall I?

There is NO set standard for driving, or indeed obtaining a driver's licence in Nigeria. Anyone can pay a "fee", and have a driver's licence within hours, despite never driving a motor vehicle, or even turning an ignition key.

You go for a driving test outside Nigeria, drive a manual with BOTH feet, and see if you'll be awarded a pass. When Nigerians are treated differently, you'll moan. Yet you're one of the Nigerians that would prefer to make NIGERIANS stand out, and be different. Driving with BOTH feet for the brake and gas pedals is WRONG. If it was the norm, then it would be a world standard.

Even on the rare occasions a driving test is actually taken in Nigeria, you will NOT pass if you use your left foot for the brake, in either a manual or automatic.

10 Likes

Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Whizpeter(m): 6:45pm On Jul 05, 2015
Qualer:

See how people die on behalf of others... My post was clearly directed to someone else and you decided to take it personal... Meanwhile you're the one with a sheep mentality and its your type that is taking Nigeria backward..
One advice I have for you... CHANGE!!!

1 Like

Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Qualer: 7:07pm On Jul 05, 2015
Whizpeter:

See how people die on behalf of others... My post was clearly directed to someone else and you decided to take it personal... Meanwhile you're the one with a sheep mentality and its your type that is taking Nigeria backward..
One advice I have for you... CHANGE!!!

you probably need to school yourself on the meaning of sheep mentality before you start frothing... friendly advice!!
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Qualer: 7:11pm On Jul 05, 2015
Siena:

No need to bust a blood vessel. I too thought the same.

On the contrary, your reflexes must be pretty slow, hence you feel the need to drive an automatic with both feet. As for "Nigerians with sheep mentality", that doesn't even come into play here. One foot driving an automatic, and just the left foot for the clutch pedal in a manual vehicle are standards worldwide. Why should it be different for Nigeria?

I'll give a hint, shall I?

There is NO set standard for driving, or indeed obtaining a driver's licence in Nigeria. Anyone can pay a "fee", and have a driver's licence within hours, despite never driving a motor vehicle, or even turning an ignition key.

You go for a driving test outside Nigeria, drive a manual with BOTH feet, and see if you'll be awarded a pass. When Nigerians are treated differently, you'll moan. Yet you're one of the Nigerians that would prefer to make NIGERIANS stand out, and be different. Driving with BOTH feet for the brake and gas pedals us WRONG. If it was the norm, then it would be a world standard.

Even on the rare occasions a driving test is actually taken in Nigeria, you will NOT pass if you use your left foot for the brake, in either a manual or automatic.

I know you felt you had to say something and feel like you are making a whole lot of sense but simple research and study will go a long way in helping your understanding of so many things. FYI, I have an EU driving license, go figure.
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Whizpeter(m): 7:14pm On Jul 05, 2015
Qualer:

you probably need to school yourself on the meaning of sheep mentality before you start frothing... friendly advice!!

Ignored
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by bigl: 11:54pm On Jul 05, 2015
well, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to how to cook and eat a chicken: grilled, boiled, fried or roasted!

i believe same applies to driving but i'd like to point out something: if u've been driving a manual gear car and later switch to automatic, using both legs may cause u to stamp on d brakes in a hard way (just same way u clutch down) but for "we" non-professional drivers who've never driving manual tranny for long before sticking to automatic, its preferable!

i drive with both legs and trust me, that has saved my flat y.ansh several times most especially when d sill.y okada or taxi drivers suddenly cross my path or else, u'll be reading about a ghastly accident by now. still, i dont brake hard as claimed by d pros in d house.

i drive an old school toyota camry xle (1995) with automatic gear!

Lemme reiterate: i'm not a pro but using both legs works for me and i can drive for several hours, non stop and im comfi with it.

dunno if its wrong or right but it does work for me!
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by switosman(m): 8:00am On Jul 06, 2015
You may feel good driving an automatic with two legs but the car is really suffering, watch it, with time your gearbox will go down. Ask any good mechanic what happens to your manual car when you step on clutch while firing, your fibre burns and after a while your car loses power.
Break in automatic car also serve as clutch and when stepped on while firing will drag your car

1 Like

Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by iboboyswag(m): 8:11pm On Jul 07, 2015
Qualer:

I know you felt you had to say something and feel like you are making a whole lot of sense but simple research and study will go a long way in helping your understanding of so many things. FYI, I have an EU driving license, go figure.

Superman! Mr sharp reflex! who issued you an EU drivers' license driving that way? I am most certain that the license came from somewhere deep in lagos island.
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Mojibola(m): 9:59am On Jul 08, 2015
Why stress both legs when one can do the job...more perfectly.. undecided
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by presido1: 10:26pm On Jul 11, 2015
Qualer:

Is their anything like EU driving license?
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Originalsly: 3:37pm On Jul 12, 2015
Qualer:

Don't get me wrong...but people like you are the cause of many. avoidable accidents and fatalities...in most cases when eyewitnesses keep wondering instead of braking the car sped up and slammed into the tanker or whatever. Why?...the wrong leg sprung into action during the emergency and there is no time for correction. The positioning and spacing of the brake and accelerator pedals were studied, designed and tested to be used by one foot. If you use both feet then you are cutting back on safety...and even more when you have big feet. On reflexes...your reasoning that two feet are quicker than one does not fly...especially in an emergency when reaction time can be the difference between life and death....you have to consider more than the one foot driver. You have to decide which leg to use....left or right?...then you have to withdraw the one which means activating muscles to lift the whole leg..,and activating muscles to press the other leg..hopefully hitting the correct pedal only in the confusion. One foot driver only has to consider which pedal and moving the foot only...foot...not the whole big lazy heavy leg. Two leg driving..wrong...dead wrong.

1 Like

Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Qualer: 4:01pm On Jul 12, 2015
presido1:
Is their anything like EU driving license?

most cities in the EU are inter-connected (you actually drive across europe if you so wish - connected by the euro tunnel for the countries on the mountainous divide).
EU member states made it easier by having a unified licensing system for hitch free identification process for interstate/city drivers.

Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 12, 2015
Well, I learnt ow to drive with a manual car and I used both feet. Along the line I bought my first car (Baby boy) and I realised I found it difficult to use one feet, I av driven other cars still wit both feet.. anyway I av been driving for long without an accident and I must say I am pretty good driver.
All I am going to say is drive at your own comfort, if driving with 2 legs is best for you then do it and if driving wit one leg is suitable for u then do same.....
Re: Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. by NumberOne2(m): 2:18pm On Jul 13, 2015
Folks who drive with both legs are more prone to accidents. Braking and accelerating at the same time, hmmm unless you are a trained in motor sports and stunt driving.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Honda Accord 2005 Reving High Rpm / Pre-order Your Dreamed Cars Through O.l.m Autos / My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.