Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,794 members, 7,817,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

What We Should Know About Some NARCOTIC DRUGS/MEDICINE - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What We Should Know About Some NARCOTIC DRUGS/MEDICINE (1060 Views)

Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria / "N1Bn Worth Of HIV Drugs Expired In Storage" - Health Minister / Do Nigerian Hospitals Have An Adequate Supply Of Narcotic Painkillers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What We Should Know About Some NARCOTIC DRUGS/MEDICINE by Misternas89(m): 9:48pm On Jul 05, 2015
The first thing you should understand about the word "narcotic" is that it is used incorrectly more than it is used correctly. One good, quick way to tell whether someone actually knows anything about this subject is to listen to their use of this word. If they tell you that marijuana, cocaine, and meth are "narcotics" then count them among the vast legions of totally clueless people on this subject.

The word "narcotic" comes from the Greek word "narkos", meaning sleep. Therefore, "narcotics" are drugs that induce sleep. Specifically, that means the opiates such as heroin, morphine and related drugs. This is the correct meaning, so you should accept no other.

Cocaine and meth are not "narcotics". They are "stimulants", the exact opposite of a "narcotic". They cause people to be more awake and more active, not sleepy. Calling them :"narcotics" makes as much sense as calling coffee a "narcotic".

The classification of other drugs such as marijuana, alcohol, and others is open to question. (That is a subject for another page.) Some might call them "tranquilizers", "depressants", or even "hallucinogens". Marijuana and alcohol may even have a tendency to induce sleep at times. However, calling them "narcotics" simply shows a lack of understanding of the different effects.
The problem is that US Government officials, and others who enforce and support drug prohibition, tend to refer to all illegal drugs as "narcots". They do that for three major reasons.

(1) One reason is that they are genuinely ignorant about these drugs and their effects. That may sound like a strange thing to say about our top drug law enforcers -- people supposed to be the top experts in this field -- but I can assure you that it is 100 percent true. After years of talking to them, I haven't met one yet -- from the official United States Drug Czar to the local narcotics officers on the street -- who could pass the most basic factual quiz on the subject.
(2)The second reason is that "narcotic" sounds dangerous and makes good headlines. Consider how attractive newspaper headlines would be if government officials proclaimed the dangers of "tranquilizers" (which narcotics are, in some respects). It just doesn't have the same sex appeal.
(3)The third reason is that it blurs the line between things like marijuana and heroin. Police can't take a lot of credit for busting someone with an ounce of pot, so they call it a "narcotics bust."
CC; Lalasticlala
CC; Lalasticlala
Re: What We Should Know About Some NARCOTIC DRUGS/MEDICINE by HungerBAD: 9:49pm On Jul 05, 2015
At a Soccer Match between we the Nigerians, and our Cameroonian counterparts in my city. These Cameroonians nearly killed us physically, at the end of the match, i limped to the Hospital. And after the examination was prescribed "Hydrocodone" for pain.

Got to the Pharmacy to pick it up, and was told they needed to see my ID because the medication contains "NARCOTIC". I do not drink, smoke or like getting the buzzy feeling of high at all. Out of curiosity, i asked the pharmacist if the medication is dangerous, and he replied that the Pharmacy had been robbed twice in one Month, by Crack heads looking for the Medication i was being given.

So my question is: Why are medications containing Narcotics even sold at all? are these medications not addictive?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Should Know About Some NARCOTIC DRUGS/MEDICINE by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 05, 2015
Hmmmm. Learnt something from this.

1 Like

Re: What We Should Know About Some NARCOTIC DRUGS/MEDICINE by Misternas89(m): 10:19pm On Jul 05, 2015
HungerBAD:
At a Soccer Match between we the Nigerians, and our Cameroonian counterparts in my city. These Cameroonians nearly killed us physically, at the end of the match, i limped to the Hospital. And after the examination was prescribed "Hydrocodone" for pain.

Got to the Pharmacy to pick it up, and was told they needed to see my ID because the medication contains "NARCOTIC". I do not drink, smoke or like getting the buzzy feeling of high at all. Out of curiosity, i asked the pharmacist if the medication is dangerous, and he replied that the Pharmacy had been robbed twice in one Month, by Crack heads looking for the Medication i was being given.

So my question is: Why are medications containing Narcotics even sold at all? are these medications not addictive?

Well you are right bro, i was sometimes an addict of taking tramadol...i started from a 50mg, then to a 100mg but later graduated to 200mg...i started having an euphoria; a state of having an intense happiness and im just having this extra energy...i later stopped when i made some researches on its side effects though it wasnt so easy as im always feeling feverish when im not taking it

(1) (Reply)

Help With Treatment Of Sharp Pain In The Head And Back / Causes Of Forehead Pimples, Acnes And 10 Ways To Cure Them / HIV Prevention Drug Records 1OO% Success

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.