Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,232 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

A Few More Reasons I Love Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Few More Reasons I Love Nigeria (847 Views)

Patriotism Of Americans Made America Great. When Will Nigerians Love Nigeria? / Patriotism Of Americans Made America Great. When Will Nigerians Love Nigeria? / 3 Reasons I Never Believe In Karma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Few More Reasons I Love Nigeria by Nobody: 4:47am On Jul 08, 2015
[b]I’ve been overwhelmed with the wonderful feedback I have received from my last post “5 Reasons I love Nigeria” . I didn’t expect that it would generate all the views and responses that it has. I was very moved and humbled by the many messages in regards to it.

The fact of the matter is that I could list 1,000 reasons why I love Nigeria but that would cover a 500 page book. So I simplified it to 5 reasons for the sake of making it a quick article to read. But I feel inspired to list a few more reasons on why I love Nigeria so much and why I believe it is a part of me. Nigerians deserve to hear this and should know this. They have every right to be proud of their Country. And if it takes a foreigner like myself to remind Nigerians of how special they and their Country are, then it’s a privilege to do so.

Without further ado, here are some added reasons on why I love Nigeria.

Bonus Reason #1: Mushin

I mentioned this in my last post and said I would elaborate on this. When I first started going to Nigeria, I was essentially working for a start up company. So money was tight and expenses had to be watched carefully. I’m an adaptable person. I’m just a curious guy. I temper expectations and let things come to me. I absorb information and try to incorporate it into what I already know. Because of this, I’m real easy to deal with. My owner at this company never had to worry or not if I was comfortable. Most people have this perception that white guys have to be guarded in Nigeria and be put up in some expensive hotel or mansion on the Island. Well I knew that wasn’t possible since this was a beginning company.

My wife being Nigerian was helpful to me. I already had plenty of Nigerian friends and family over here in the states. So I had a good grasp on cultural things and how to act. That gave me a head start in Nigeria.

When I started going to Nigeria on a regular basis, I found a very small, inexpensive hotel in Mushin. It’s so awesome that the hotel is literally called “The Hotel”. It was pretty cool having phone conversations in Nigeria.

Example:

Friend: “Brian, where are you?”

Me: “I’m at The Hotel.”

Friend: “Which hotel?”

Me: “I’m at The Hotel”

Friend: “I don’t understand”

Me: “I’m at The Hotel in Mushin”

Friend: “Which Hotel?”

Me: “THE HOTEL”

It was so funny, I had so many of those conversations until everyone figured out that was the literal name of the hotel.

I’m under no illusions here. This was the kind of hotel where rich Nigerian men brought their mistresses for a night. But to me, it was where I stayed 2-3 months at a time. The room was no bigger than 15 feet. But I had a table for my computer, a bed, air conditioning and cable. That’s all I need. The people that worked there were super nice as was the owner. A lady named “Comfort” worked in the kitchen. Every night when I got back from work, she had something prepared for me to eat. Don’t worry, I prayed before I ate to make sure there was no juju in the food.

The water heater in the shower did not work. So this is where I learned to take bucket baths. I was terrible at it. Comfort would boil 2 kettles of water and then fill the rest of the bucket with regular water. Therefore, I had warm water to bath in. As you all know, you get a scoop bucket to dip into the big bucket and then pour the water on you. But I had never done something like this. The first time I tried this, I used up all the water before I even put soap on. I was so uncoordinated. I couldn’t wash my back side for the life of me. I would scoop the water and then try to pour water down my backside but instead I would do it too fast and the water missed me entirely, hitting the wall behind me. I was just terrible at this. It took me about a month to be able to rinse, soap and rinse with one bucket of water. Now, I’m a professional at bucket baths! I’m a very tall man, so I’m grateful that I mastered this.

At night, I would leave the hotel and walk the streets of Mushin. I did not see any other white people there. My friends and family thought I was crazy. But what do I have to be worried about? If someone is going to do something, then they will do it. I can’t live in fear. How can I learn if I am afraid to learn? And it was a great decision. I got to meet some really interesting people. There was a tiny restaurant across the street and a bar. There were many auto parts stores in the market along with great fruits and vegetables. Mostly, it was a condensed neighborhood. Many people walking home from the bus stops and just seeing kids that were siblings holding each others hands as they walked home from school put a smile on my face. Nobody ever messed with me. The only times I ever had trouble or felt threatened were by the police. Never by the citizens.

Mushin and my memories of staying there in my beginning times going to Nigeria will be in my heart forever.

Bonus Reason #2: The Churches

First let me state that I’m a Christian. However, I respect all faiths and more than half of my closes associates are Muslim, Hindu and from other religions. Life is not black and white. It is mostly gray and God will partner people with us from all walks of life to help us fulfill our designed purpose.

My last post went over how Nigerians know how to party!. But Nigerians also know how to Worship! I absolutely love Nigerian churches. Even here in the states, I’ve been going to Nigerian churches since 2003. There are a lot of Nigerians in the USA and there are many churches with mostly Nigerian members.

What I love about Nigerian churches is that there is a priority on Praise and Worship. It usually is the first thing that happens in a service and lasts 30-45 minutes. Song after song after song with everyone standing up, singing and dancing a little. This is before any sermons. It gets everyone in the spirit. If there are multiple services, I prefer to go to the first service because if I go to the last service, you can be there for 5 hours. Once the Pastor is feelin’ it and the choir is feelin’ it, the second service becomes literally an all day affair. Almost every time I go to Church, I’m almost always the only white guy there but there have been a few times where that wasn’t the case. But I don’t care. I’m used to it by now. At first, I was a little apprehensive and intimidated because a lot of people were staring at me. And I like to dance to a good Christian song. And I’m sure I looked like a goofy white guy.

Bonus Reason #3: Nigerians!

How can we leave this out? I love Nigeria because of Nigerians!

Nigerians have a thirst of knowledge whether it is educational based or practical experience. They want to be the best at what they do. Not only this, they look for their purpose and try with everything to execute it.

Here is an important example. I had this guy that worked for me in Nigeria. He was a mechanical engineer who fixed diesel engines. This guy had no formal education. He dropped out of school at the age of 10. He worked with his father and learned from him. This guy could take a part an engine and put it back together with his eyes closed. I once witnessed him overhaul a complete engine in under 72 hours when this usually can take weeks with multiple people. He was one of my highest paid “Engineers”. His knowledge and execution superseded his lack of formal education. And there are many examples of this gentlemen in other industries.

Family is extremely important in Nigeria. Children are raised by extended families. Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, and friends of the family all play a part in child development in Nigeria. There is always someone to baby sit your kid! This can be intrusive for sure, but it’s better than the alternative.

Look, I understand that there are many things that need to get better in Nigeria. But it’s only been independent for a short time. It took hundreds of years after independence for the United States to be what it is today and even so, we still have our fair share of problems. Even though Nigeria’s government is corrupt, the Country still is progressing and that is because the Citizens are moving it forward in spite of their Government.

Nigerians get a bad perception globally because of what a few have done. It isn’t fair. But I believe that the qualities I see and appreciate will show itself more out in the open in future years. It’s why in one of my prior posts I mentioned that the next generation will take Nigeria to new heights by the year 2030.

Nigerians should be proud of their Country. They don’t have to be proud of their Government. But they should be proud of the people they sit with side by side, day by day. The people they work with. The people they associate with. Despite regional division, in most areas of Nigeria, Yoruba’s, Igbo’s, and Hausa’s live with each other and work with each other without any problems. That is something to be proud of. That is a major accomplishment.

I wish for the day when people are no longer stereotyped by tribes and language any more. I believe that day is coming.

God Bless Nigeria and God Bless all of those who enabled me to see Nigeria for what it really is.
[/b]
Wishing you Success,

Brian Botts

Read more ...

https://naijaattitudeblog./2015/07/08/a-few-more-reasons-i-love-nigeria/

Re: A Few More Reasons I Love Nigeria by Nobody: 4:54am On Jul 08, 2015
Am a student in US. And i cant think of 2 reasons why i like it except for The Education and the women that worship my accent and dick undecided

(1) (Reply)

OGWASHI-UKU CARNIVAL, THE BEGINNING IN RETROSPECT / The Voice Of The Oracle... A Message To Uncle Ifadele, Ifadavido And Ifasophia / Photos From Ooni Of Ife And New Wife’s Wedding Thanksgiving Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.