Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,880 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

Let's Learn Swahili - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Let's Learn Swahili (15140 Views)

Let's Learn Sign Language / What Do They Call Twins In Your Tribe: Let's Learn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 29, 2015
soilsista:

Like, when I'm in Tanzania I would have to say Shukrani instead of Ahsante? Also, why did the spelling change? ahsante and not asante , is it for pronunciation purposes?
The pronounciation is Ahsante, but Asante is also accepted, most muslims at the coast will use arabic pronounciation. Also, you can use any since you are a foreigner, that was just an observation on my part and isn't really necessary.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by soilsista(f): 4:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
pkjag:

The pronounciation is Ahsante, but Asante is also accepted, most muslims at the coast will use arabic pronounciation. Also, you can use any since you are a foreigner, that was just an observation on my part and isn't really necessary.
Alrighty
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Ogobara(m): 8:10pm On Jul 29, 2015
I have noticed that there is a lot of cute girls in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda,Rwanda; I might travel in East Africa someday

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 30, 2015
Ogobara:
I have noticed that there is a lot of cute girls in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda,Rwanda; I might travel in East Africa someday
Yeah, we don't want anti-Obama propaganda here

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Ogobara(m): 7:15pm On Aug 04, 2015
I am from the Sahelian regions of West Africa, I love Kenyan music a lot, more than Nigerian music, some time I viste your Web page wanting to learn about East Africa; but I wonder why you guys loooove and admire 'Wazungus' sooo much; is it bc of christianity? bc in my country we hate them a lot, in fact there are not many of them there, they have no single influence in my country, no investment nothing,, we don't give a damn about them.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 12:20am On Aug 05, 2015
Ogobara:
I am from the Sahelian regions of West Africa, I love Kenyan music a lot, more than Nigerian music, some time I viste your Web page wanting to learn about East Africa; but I wonder why you guys loooove and admire 'Wazungus' sooo much; is it bc of christianity? bc in my country we hate them a lot, in fact there are not many of them there, they have no single influence in my country, no investment nothing,, we don't give a damn about them.
You love Kenyan music more than Nigerian? That's a first for me, how come? Also name your favourite songs.

Africans everywhere love wazungus, in Kenya it seems like that because we don't have petrodollars like you guys, so we have to be nice to them, basically every Kenyan grows up knowing that you have to welcome and accept tourists cause they bring in top dollar. You probably don't know this but Kenya is the largest non-resource based economy in Africa, we do not export any minerals or fossil fuels and because of that Tourism is very important, our economy is really sophisticated and diverse so we have to optimize every economic avenue and so wazungus are treated well because they help us do that by buying our tea, coffee and flowers and coming as tourists and investors even though there're Al-Shabaab.

But you can't say that we love them maybe more than our African brethren, it's just that we have had a better environment for them to like us probably more than other African countries. What would you say of Angola, the Portuguese probably love the place more than they do Portugal and the locals don't seem bothered at all, Namibia too and Zambia.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by soilsista(f): 8:34pm On Aug 05, 2015
Comment deleted already? These mods are fast o shocked

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 12:15am On Aug 06, 2015
soilsista:
Comment deleted already? These mods are fast o shocked
What did it say? I never got to read it?
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Ogobara(m): 7:47am On Aug 06, 2015
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Ogobara(m): 7:48am On Aug 06, 2015
I wrote the complet list of my favourit kenyan songs, but the mod deleted it, and locked me up the page for 24h, I wonder why?
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by soilsista(f): 11:37am On Aug 06, 2015
Lol the guy above me posted. Just songs and it got deleted? Wow
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 06, 2015
Ogobara:
I wrote the complet list of my favourit kenyan songs, but the mod deleted it, and locked me up the page for 24h, I wonder why?
Lol that's the spambot, not the mods, try posting shorter lists. Post one list then wait five minutes n post another, that way you won't alert the damn spambot.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 06, 2015
Ogobara:
Haha looks like you got banned again, by short list I mean like 5-10 entries, not thirty in quick succession. And if they are links, youtube links, just post one or two and wait five minutes for the next.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Ogobara(m): 5:38pm On Aug 07, 2015
pkjag:
Haha looks like you got banned again, by short list I mean like 5-10 entries, not thirty in quick succession. And if they are links, youtube links, just post one or two and wait five minutes for the next.
Here is it: wink

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 12:49am On Aug 09, 2015
Ogobara:

Here is it: wink

Haha great, where did you learn and hear so many Kenyan songs? I didn't know Nigerian radio stations play our music and the word Leka Dutigite isn't Swahili it's Kiha (but the rest is sang in Swahili) and it means let's dance, the language is mutually intelligible with Kirundi/Kinyarwanda and is spoken in Kigoma town where many of the most successful Tanzanian artists come from (Ali Kiba, Ommy Dimpoz, Chege, Diamond Platnumz, etc.). The town is really historic cause it's a border town where numerous Congolese migrants settled, so it is likely that even Diamond Platnumz's ancestors were Congolese. Also it is a great tourist centre where you get to see the beautiful Lake Tanganyika beaches that actually look like ocean beaches.

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Ogobara(m): 4:36am On Aug 09, 2015
pkjag:

Haha great, where did you learn and hear so many Kenyan songs? I didn't know Nigerian radio stations play our music and the word Leka Dutigite isn't Swahili it's Kiha (but the rest is sang in Swahili) and it means let's dance, the language is mutually intelligible with Kirundi/Kinyarwanda and is spoken in Kigoma town where many of the most successful Tanzanian artists come from (Ali Kiba, Ommy Dimpoz, Chege, Diamond Platnumz, etc.). The town is really historic cause it's a border town where numerous Congolese migrants settled, so it is likely that even Diamond Platnumz's ancestors were Congolese. Also it is a great tourist centre where you get to see the beautiful Lake Tanganyika beaches that actually look like ocean beaches.
Wow! that's awesome, I though it was a dark colored lac, like all others;here it looks like an ocean; that might explain some of the reasons why muzungus love those east African places so much;in my country, it's hot as f*k, they can't stand it grin
-Iam not from Nigeria, but I am West African though
- you know with the Internet, ppl have access to a lot of things nowadays. thanks the information.

It seem that religion are very important for your artists, most Kenyan music I hear are about religion; being too religious can prevent artists to gain international recognition even if they have the talent.
I am interested about learning that language;
Did you knew that Swahili was about to became a common language for buziness for the whole continent? and do you know who prevented it? it's your Barack Obama, when he killed Muamar Qaddafi.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 09, 2015
Ogobara:

Wow! that's awesome, I though it was a dark colored lac, like all others;here it looks like an ocean; that might explain some of the reasons why muzungus love those east African places so much;in my country, it's hot as f*k, they can't stand it grin
-Iam not from Nigeria, but I am West African though
- you know with the Internet, ppl have access to a lot of things nowadays. thanks the information.
It seem that religion are very important for your artists, most Kenyan music I hear are about religion; being too religious can prevent artists to gain international recognition even if they have the talent.
I am interested about learning that language;
Did you knew that Swahili was about to became a common language for buziness for the whole continent? and do you know who prevented it? it's your Barack Obama, when he killed Muamar Qaddafi.
Yeah the gospel industry in Kenya is big but not bigger than the secular music that's why you get to hear some of their music.
I can't really comment abt Obama n Gaddafi but what I know is that Swahili is becoming more important in Africa regardless of what anybody does to stop it.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 8:29pm On Aug 09, 2015
hihi, I love learning languages and I wish to learn swahili.
The only swahili wod I know is akuna matata meaning 'noworries'
So first how does one greet in swahili ? @op
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 12:29am On Aug 12, 2015
qbd2:
hihi, I love learning languages and I wish to learn swahili.
The only swahili wod I know is akuna matata meaning 'noworries'
So first how does one greet in swahili ? @op
Yeah, you are gonna have to start from the first page, it's all there.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 12:33am On Aug 12, 2015
Watu wangu, nimetekwa sana na majukumu hata muda wa kuwasilisha funzo bado mgumu kupata ila natumai mko poa na nawaomba mnisubiri nitarudi hivi karibuni grin (My people, I've been so busy that i've found no time to offer lessons but i hope you are fine and i pray that you wait for me coz i'm coming back soon)
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by soilsista(f): 9:08am On Aug 12, 2015
pkjag:
Watu wangu, nimetekwa sana na majukumu hata muda wa kuwasilisha funzo bado mgumu kupata ila natumai mko poa na nawaomba mnisubiri nitarudi hivi karibuni grin (My people, I've been so busy that i've found no time to offer lessons but i hope you are fine and i pray that you wait for me coz i'm coming back soon)
The similarities again.

Tutakuwa kusubiri...Google translate things undecided
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 13, 2015
soilsista:

The similarities again.

Tutakuwa tukikusubiri (or tunakusubiri)...Google translate things undecided
What similarities?
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by soilsista(f): 9:09am On Aug 13, 2015
pkjag:

What similarities?
The bolded words.
Watu-batho(people) in Sepedi
Funzo-fundzo(education) in Xitsonga or Tshivenda not quite sure which.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 1:54am On Aug 15, 2015
soilsista:

The bolded words.
Watu-batho(people) in Sepedi
Funzo-fundzo(education) in Xitsonga or Tshivenda not quite sure which.

funzo basically means lesson and education is elimu but I get why there're similarities, I'd like to know what to be taught is in those languages, in Swahili it's funzwa or fundishwa
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by soilsista(f): 8:56pm On Aug 15, 2015
pkjag:

funzo basically means lesson and education is elimu but I get why there're similarities, I'd like to know what to be taught is in those languages, in Swahili it's funzwa or fundishwa
Ukufundiswa in Zulu. The other languages I'm not sure.

Lol maybe I should start with knowing our languages first grin
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 12:08am On Aug 16, 2015
soilsista:

Ukufundiswa in Zulu. The other languages I'm not sure.

Lol maybe I should start with knowing our languages first grin
Oh sorry forgot to add the ku prefix for to, so it becomes kufundishwa or kufunzwa, yeah the similarities are now becoming clearer grin

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 01, 2015
Nimerudi (I'm back), can't believe I never taught you how to say your names shocked

So another greeting is:

Singular
Hujambo and you reply Sijambo

Plural
Hamjambo and you reply Hatujambo

To say your name:

Someone asks you:

Jina lako ni nani?

and you reply

Jina langu ni _____________

or

Wewe unaitwa nani?

and you reply

Mimi ninaitwa ____________
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 01, 2015
Also

Someone asks where you are from:

Unatoka wapi?

and you reply

Ninatoka_________

or

Kwenu ni wapi?

and you reply

Kwetu ni _________
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by soilsista(f): 8:10pm On Sep 01, 2015
Hujambo. Jina langu ni Tumi. Ninatoka South Africa. Shuuu it's been long man!! I even forgot about this
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 02, 2015
soilsista:
Hujambo. Jina langu ni Tumi. Ninatoka South Africa. Shuuu it's been long man!! I even forgot about this
Sijambo mwanadada mwenzangu (Hello my fellow lady), also South africa is called Afrika Kusini or as the Tanzanians say, Usauzi, because they have a problem with pronouncing 'th'.

Germany - Ujerumani
England - Uingereza
Amerika - Marekani
Spain - Uhispania
Portugal - Ureno
Belgium - Ubelgiji
Netherlands - Uholanzi
Switzerland - Uswizi
France - Ufaransa
Japan - Ujapani
China - Uchina
The Arab world - Uarabuni

For African countries, Swahili has names for the countries that the Swahili people used to trade with before colonization, the other African countries' names stay the same.

Ethiopia - Uhabeshi
Egypt - Misri
Seychelles - Ushelisheli
Comoros - Komoro/Ngazidja
Mozambique - Msumbiji

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fascinating African Traditions- The Guardian / Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone / List Of Aare Ona Kakanfo In Yoruba Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.