Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,519 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars (5017 Views)

Notable Differences Between Manual Cars And Automatic Cars / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. / How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by Ikenna351(m): 5:04am On Jul 15, 2015
DuchessLily:
@OP it seems u don't stay in Lagos, PH or area with a lot of traffic jam

My brother lives in Lagos, drives stick car and he loves it. He plans to add another stick car.

Learning how to truly drive a manual car is all people need to do rather than complain. And it starts with seat adjustment or sitting position. And how long you depress and hold clutch pedal down and how you release the clutch pedal. How long one has driven a stick car doesn't make one good in driving stick cars. Its knowing how to truly drive one. That's why some would drive stick cars for years or hundred thousands of mileage without having failed clutches, while some replace their clutches every other day.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:36am On Jul 15, 2015
eherbal:
The edge my Honda Bullet 1.8 litre engine has over other 2.0 automatic brand is the ability to rev the manual gear Up to 75kmph on 2nd gear. You need to feel The power. It's unexplainable.! I've taken out corollas, camrys, especially the legendary pencil light ,easily, easily in traffics and drag races. Some peeps back out cause they can't risk burning their auto gear box which cost an arm and a testicle grin
#teamstickforlife cool

You can actually hit 90km/hr in 2nd gear and 140km/hr in third.

Continu angry

3 Likes

Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by tonychristopher: 7:33am On Jul 15, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Continu angry

please teach me....how they perform this feat
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by tonychristopher: 7:34am On Jul 15, 2015
Ikenna351:

My brother lives in Lagos, drives stick car and he loves it. He plans to add another stick car.

Learning how to truly drive a manual car is all people need to do rather than complain. And it starts with seat adjustment or sitting position. And how long you depress and hold clutch pedal down and how you release the clutch pedal. How long one has driven a stick car doesn't make one good in driving stick cars. Its knowing how to truly drive one. That's why some would drive stick cars for years or hundred thousands of mileage without having failed clutches, while some replace their clutches every other day.

Ikenna

it happened to me...but mastered it
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by eherbal(m): 8:19am On Jul 15, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Continu angry
She says hi grin

3 Likes

Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by donjoewizy(m): 1:55am On Jul 16, 2015
What about winter time? Stick sucks

1 Like

Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by tonychristopher: 12:22pm On Jul 16, 2015
donjoewizy:

how can you explain bro
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by tomsingun4(m): 1:44pm On Jul 16, 2015
manual all the way grin
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by tonychristopher: 4:47pm On Jul 16, 2015
tomsingun4:
manual all the way grin
thats the name
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by JUO(m): 10:32pm On Jul 16, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Continu angry
really? I'm scared o. The highest I have done is 2nd 80kmhr, 3rd 120kmhr and 4th 150kmhr but I was so scared because my taxi became so light. How do I know my 0-100kmhr? My search on online said 11sec but the taxi I drive can't wait for 11sec before hitting 100kmhr
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by NumberOne2(m): 12:53am On Jul 17, 2015
Damn I miss manual driving. That's how I learnt driving. My car has Auto and Semi Auto (searched hard for it cos I could NOT bring myself to get a full auto). I ALWAYS drive in Semi Auto, fells like manual without the clutch.

Next car I get is going to be full manual. Shifting gears is like telling the car what to do.
I love shifting down and reving to gain speed when overtaking. Then some guy asks from the back seat, "I though this car was Automatic?". Now thats driving. wink
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by weyreypey: 5:29am On Jul 17, 2015
Hmm well no doubt manual tranny is a driver's delight..... That said give me an auto from Abj to kano while you push a manual ....then a big surprise awaits ye
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by Sunymoore(m): 8:46pm On Jul 17, 2015
I drive both.. But automatic make sense pass... The kick down, and joy and many things
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 19, 2015
donjoewizy:

Given the fact that most of the automatic advocates here (citing "traffic" as their main reason) live in Nigeria, winter doesn't even come into this debate. Unless it now snows in Nigeria?

And snow has never reported been an issue affecting my driving. If you know how to use your gears, common sense decrees you pull away in 2nd with moderate throttle depression, when driving on snowy / icy roads. Sometimes engine idle speed and 2nd with a manual are all that's needed to gain traction in snow.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by predatorX: 1:54pm On Jul 19, 2015
tonychristopher:

BUY VW BETTLE

point of correction, its not Beetle but BEETUS
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by tonychristopher: 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2015
predatorX:

point of correction, its not Beetle but BEETUS
lol
noted
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by tonychristopher: 2:05pm On Jul 19, 2015
weyreypey:
Hmm well no doubt manual tranny is a driver's delight..... That said give me an auto from Abj to kano while you push a manual ....then a big surprise awaits ye

one thing is knowing how to drive a manual another thing us mastering the gear selection

thats why most of formula one cars are stick

don't mess with me in the free way bro
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by predatorX: 2:33pm On Jul 19, 2015
tonychristopher:

one thing is knowing how to drive a manual another thing us mastering the gear selection

thats why most of formula one cars are stick

don't mess with me in the free way bro

that's fact check.

Even MotoGP bikes gear shifting is manual too. Computers can't process our "Need for Speed" quicker than we do! gringringringrin
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by tonychristopher: 2:46pm On Jul 19, 2015
predatorX:

that's fact check.

Even MotoGP bikes gear shifting is manual too. Computers can't process our "Need for Speed" quicker than we do! gringringringrin

now you are talking
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by darfay: 3:31pm On Jul 19, 2015
tonychristopher:

now you are talking

Grandpa, is dat d best u can afford cheesy
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by tonychristopher: 4:08pm On Jul 19, 2015
darfay:
Grandpa, is dat d best u can afford cheesy
yes son...can you sob for me ..I have a pacifier
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by tonychristopher: 4:09pm On Jul 19, 2015
Siena:

Given the fact that most of the automatic advocates here (citing "traffic" as their main reason) live in Nigeria, winter doesn't even come into this debate. Unless it now snows in Nigeria?

And snow has never reported been an issue affecting my driving. If you know how to use your gears, common sense decrees you pull away in 2nd with moderate throttle depression, when driving on snowy / icy roads. Sometimes engine idle speed and 2nd with a manual are all that's needed to gain traction in snow.

now this what I call good driving skills ..just like driving in slippry or muddy terrain with a front wheel stick
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by auhanson(m): 2:57am On Jul 20, 2015
DuchessLily:
@OP it seems u don't stay in Lagos, PH or area with a lot of traffic jam

I stay in PH and uses a manual c class benz as everyday ride, though i have auto benz too.
To be frank, initially i use to cry in traffic with my manual, but lol now adays i enjoy it most because i could save more fuel while in traffic and still save my legs from strain, besides i don't need to do much work than just coasting it while in traffic reducing a lot of stress on my engine and saving on gas. Ever since i discovered that secret, i have been thanking my star. While on speed/overtaking too i use my heels and toes to make nonsense of rival cars which auto wouldn't do any better in my kind of car. To me driving manual is fun all the way. I can use gear 3 and 5 with heels/toes and run my horsepower faster than it actually is and with less stress on my engine making it look as if it is a super car.

However with my auto too i have different skills for it as well making my driving too funlike all the way too. I do drive it like manual most times beating any autos and manual counterparts, sometimes my occupants ask me if it is manual ..In serious traffic, i toggle between manual/neutral saving my fiber and reducing stress and heats on my engine,just like i would have done in stick but without a clutch. In fun drive and in overtaking i switch to manual too. In wild-wild-west take-off i switch to manual and move in a way no auto could do, though these are a bit stressful on the engine and take on gas than in the real manual transmission. In anyways, you need not worry about Benz engine its always equal to the task at all time and season with her superior timing chains and rugged engine block,cam, headers and cylinder heads

But Bro, if you handle auto kompressor or any supercharged, with slapping steptronic, i wonder if there is any manual(no matter the level of skill) that could stand it when unleashed in like manner, if you are the skillful and fun seeker type like me?
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by MRLANNISTER(m): 9:54am On Jul 20, 2015
Its not that we dont know and appreciate the advantages but Lagos hold up wan kill guys.When i changed from manual to auto i noticed that i enjoyed the driving more. Changing gears in Lagos traffic for 2 hours is a turture in itself.

So OP thanks but no thanks grin
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by nwadiuko1(m): 10:47am On Jul 20, 2015
Well I can drive both
Re: 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars by auhanson(m): 6:16pm On Jul 20, 2015
Driving manual very well and skillfully is a whole lot of skill you cannot afford to but acquire/master in your lifetime no matter what.
But it's a pity that some doesn't even know it just like i use to, the more essence i had to buy one and use as everyday ride to muster every known secret .

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Causes Of Smelly Car Exhaust Fumes / P1777 On 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander...help Needed...outlander Help!! / Does Lexus Rx330 Have V4 Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.